Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Xrd is wizardry and it frankly is not fair to include it in any art discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

The only truly terrible mvc3 theme is Iron Man's

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Countblanc posted:

Xrd is wizardry and it frankly is not fair to include it in any art discussion

It's really just effort, that mysterious thing a company like Capcom doesn't know how to produce anymore.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

wonder what percentage chance there is for mvc4 to remove character themes

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fereydun posted:

wonder what percentage chance there is for mvc4 to remove character themes

How many take you for a ride remixes will there be, this is important

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
None

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

my other fear is they use generic orchestra fighttheme like rocket raccoon's or urien's sf5 one

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Fereydun posted:

my other fear is they use generic orchestra fighttheme like rocket raccoon's or urien's sf5 one

Neither, it'll be badly done techno remixs of classic themes you used to love like Bison's SFV theme.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Just make the Bloody Roar: Primal Fury character select screen music play all time non-stop. Including the loading screens.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
all character select music should be the real bout fatal fury theme.

also the ougon character select theme cause if my opponent is taking too long I start singing along.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Every character will have Rashido theme song.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Keegers posted:

Every character will have Rashido theme song.

Best OST in gaming history confirmed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pomp posted:

i'd agree with you before xrd but we're on year 3 of xrd and I still forget for weeks at a time that it's 3d.

It's pretty obvious to me.

Also while it may look 2D it clearly isn't pixel art.

Chev posted:

It's really just effort, that mysterious thing a company like Capcom doesn't know how to produce anymore.

More like insane effort. ASW is on record saying that Xrd models take as long/as much work as Blazblue sprites.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 21, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Did they make Slayer good yet? I really want to like Xrd but playing my character in it makes me depressed.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Did they make Slayer good yet? I really want to like Xrd but playing my character in it makes me depressed.

Is slayer that much weaker than in previous games, so much so that he feels like a different character? Because even if he's bottom tier in xrd a good slayer still makes me want to quit playing fighting games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Slayer used to be broken good. Now hes normal and still very cool and shouldnt be an excuse to not play xrd

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

#BringBackBBU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

giogadi posted:

Is slayer that much weaker than in previous games, so much so that he feels like a different character? Because even if he's bottom tier in xrd a good slayer still makes me want to quit playing fighting games

Slayer no longer kills you meterless with a single counterhit, this apparently makes him a bad character.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
When 80% of people play Elphelt and Sol, playing Slayer is really super not fun

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
There are some unfavorable matchups for most to all characters but nothing really is entirely unwinnable. and most of us in this thread aren't at the skill level where it's like an insurmountable disparity.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Slayer won Anime Ascension like, a month ago, if you want further proof. Also, the grand finals is a hell of a loving set:

http://shoryuken.com/2017/02/20/daymendous-slayer-squares-up-with-kidvipers-johnny-in-epic-anime-ascension-guilty-gear-grand-finals/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SectumSempra posted:

There are some unfavorable matchups for most to all characters but nothing really is entirely unwinnable. and most of us in this thread aren't at the skill level where it's like an insurmountable disparity.

Always worth reiterating this whenever tier list discussions bubbles back up

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

In Training posted:

Always worth reiterating this whenever tier list discussions bubbles back up

being low skill can not only exacerbate bad matchups but it can also make them good matchups depending on how people play. slayer is a God at low level play. the "tiers don't matter at our level" meme is a really bad one in general, tiers still matter it's just that there's different tiers for low level play

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

All pre-Xrd Slayer talk must involve these videos. Pretty sure it's law at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEZSmPDdDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CipKrMhMiDM

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

More like insane effort. ASW is on record saying that Xrd models take as long/as much work as Blazblue sprites.
There's nothing insane about that. It means it now takes the same time using their awesome looking new standard as it does using the old one they'd mastered over years. People tend to misread it being described as crazy long, when it actually means "takes longer than those bullcrap SF4 animations, that's fer sure".

Speaking of which, there was a presentation about the SFV art direction at GDC. Video and slides. It's less interesting than the Xrd one but still interesting. I wish someone would grab and scan that golden era capcom art guide they show during the presentation though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zand posted:

being low skill can not only exacerbate bad matchups but it can also make them good matchups depending on how people play. slayer is a God at low level play. the "tiers don't matter at our level" meme is a really bad one in general, tiers still matter it's just that there's different tiers for low level play

this

it's more likely that low skill makes bad matchups worse than it is that it fixes bad matchups. a 9-1 often becomes a 6-4 once a player knows the extent of their options to deal with poo poo, meanwhile a 6-4 can become a 9-1 instantly if you stumble onto a tactic that requires homework to overcome (which is the basis for a lot of bad matchups).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tier lists with a million caveats are pointless, is all I'm saying. And you're talking about particular match ups between people, not characters. The people you're playing after matter more than the characters they play as

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I think these are all valid points about tier lists, except the viewpoint where tiers are an excuse to not play a good game

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chev posted:

There's nothing insane about that. It means it now takes the same time using their awesome looking new standard as it does using the old one they'd mastered over years. People tend to misread it being described as crazy long, when it actually means "takes longer than those bullcrap SF4 animations, that's fer sure".

Speaking of which, there was a presentation about the SFV art direction at GDC. Video and slides. It's less interesting than the Xrd one but still interesting. I wish someone would grab and scan that golden era capcom art guide they show during the presentation though.

chev when are you gonna make a fighting game already dang

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

anime was right posted:

chev when are you gonna make a fighting game already dang
Short answer is "Who knows?". I'm just a dev, not a game dev. Long answer is those things take time. I've already been at the point where the whole gameplay loop is there and all directinput controllers are supported, with one of those tap-to-bind button config things, for more than a year, and all the infrequent work since has been working on the animation export tech or sidetracking into building a space game engine in the same executable because being single-minded is not a programmer trait. And don't believe that filthy liar of an FPS counter, I've got a steady 60 on my laptop when I'm not printing screens. After that, all that's left is becoming an awesome artist, gameplay designer and sound guy. Smooth sailing, without a doubt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell looks better than SFV already

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Smoking Crow posted:

#BringBackBBU

baby bonnie uhood

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Chev posted:

I would accept in seeing less of what the effort Arc System Works puts into Guilty Gear and Blazblue models/sprites as an "insane" amount of work and more in seeing that Capcom is just "lazy" with their models.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's impressive that ArcSys proved you can actually make a nice looking game in the Unreal engine

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chev posted:

Short answer is "Who knows?". I'm just a dev, not a game dev. Long answer is those things take time. I've already been at the point where the whole gameplay loop is there and all directinput controllers are supported, with one of those tap-to-bind button config things, for more than a year, and all the infrequent work since has been working on the animation export tech or sidetracking into building a space game engine in the same executable because being single-minded is not a programmer trait. And don't believe that filthy liar of an FPS counter, I've got a steady 60 on my laptop when I'm not printing screens. After that, all that's left is becoming an awesome artist, gameplay designer and sound guy. Smooth sailing, without a doubt.

this is cool man.

i thought you were a dev from the way you kept referencing animation stuff. or were you the guy that did cinematics?

keep it up!!! make cool stuff!!

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Zand posted:

yeah,

which is exactly why i said

SectumSempra posted:

AKA if a match up is tilted heavily because of a tool or a weakness but the other person can't exploit it fully, the match up isn't something that should dissuade you from playing.

Also huge note, I very specifically didn't mention tiers but match ups, which matter more to a person just trying to gain information, as tiers shift drastically as the game ages, match ups more or less don't shift too much, unless a character is played some entirely different way than expected.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 22, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
At midlevel Slayer 6P just entirely shits on Elphelt's day anyway

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SectumSempra posted:

Also huge note, I very specifically didn't mention tiers but match ups, which matter more to a person just trying to gain information, as tiers shift drastically as the game ages, match ups more or less don't shift too much, unless a character is played some entirely different way than expected.

I disagree. There are plenty of matchups that live and die entirely based on This One Weird Trick Your Opponent Doesn't Want You to Know and if you know about said trick and the opponent doesn't, as happens frequently in games where the players are at less than the highest level of skill, then a matchup can swing to a ridiculous degree off of what it "should" be.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

AnonSpore posted:

I disagree. There are plenty of matchups that live and die entirely based on This One Weird Trick Your Opponent Doesn't Want You to Know and if you know about said trick and the opponent doesn't, as happens frequently in games where the players are at less than the highest level of skill, then a matchup can swing to a ridiculous degree off of what it "should" be.

leo is like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
when I see my friends complaining about Leo's 6H into blender or whatever the actual input is. :allears: