Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Glad we're getting Cyrus this time instead of Darius. Would be cool to get meanMausoleum of Halicarnassus or the Behistun Inscription as world wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I levy a city state and attack a Civ. Does that Civ view me as the attacker or the city state?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

If I levy a city state and attack a Civ. Does that Civ view me as the attacker or the city state?

When you levy the military their units become yours for the duration. So you'd be the aggressor.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

UI: Pairidaeza Gives Gold, Culture, and Appeal with bonuses for adjacent districts and city centers. Yields increase with tech and civic tree progression

Does it give appeal to adjacent tiles? Isn't an improvement giving appeal on its own tile completely useless?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Has the game been improved any since the big patch a month after launch? The base of the game felt great, but it was really rough.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Dragongem posted:

Is the PBEM dead again?

Which one? Games 2 and 3 are running fine. Game 4 was supposed to be restarted although I don't know it that happened (I wasn't on it). In any case, if you need a replacement, I was thinking I could join one more game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gorelab posted:

Has the game been improved any since the big patch a month after launch? The base of the game felt great, but it was really rough.

Yeah. There's still a fair way to go, but some changes that were desperately needed (EG: Elimination of gold rewards for disbanding units, sky-high warmonger penalties) have been made.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Gort posted:

Yeah. There's still a fair way to go, but some changes that were desperately needed (EG: Elimination of gold rewards for disbanding units, sky-high warmonger penalties) have been made.

Any reports about future patches or when the diplo ai gets overhauled?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Spring patch is underway but no info yet about the changes or ETA.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SirTagz posted:

Any reports about future patches or when the diplo ai gets overhauled?

If the AI stops being an automated coinflipping machine for everything diplomacy, then I might give this series another chance.

Two games in a row with a completely arbitrary AI, sheesh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's not arbitrary it realstically simulates a human opponent's diplomatic behavior

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The White Dragon posted:

it's not arbitrary it realstically simulates a human opponent's diplomatic behavior

Humans can be awfully stupid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, we absolutely can, and that's why you need a really gamey diplomacy AI. In terms of gameplay, I'd say something that's consistent, predictable, controllable, and doesn't have any runaway scenarios (warmonger penalty) is a lot better than... whatever this is supposed to be. I think Civ 4 handled warmongering perfectly where it was just a case of "if allies, warmonger penalty (up to very reasonable maximum, what was it like -8 for Gandhi?); if neutral, no penalty; if enemies, diplo bonus"

gently caress this badboy point bullshit it doesn't belong in a series where killing your starting neighbors and then peacing out is the best way to get ahead

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Does it give appeal to adjacent tiles? Isn't an improvement giving appeal on its own tile completely useless?

All improvements so far that change appeal do it to adjacent tiles not their own, so I imagine this one will be the same.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There's the livestream right now, showing the new scenario:
https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

DLC + patch is rumoured to be out later today or tomorrow.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

There's the livestream right now, showing the new scenario:
https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

DLC + patch is rumoured to be out later today or tomorrow.

Farewell, working PBEM, we hardly knew ye.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The White Dragon posted:

Turn 1, game restarts fifteen times until the human is satisfied with their starting tiles.

Turn 39, game ends out of the blue as the human fails to get Stonehenge.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Turn 1, game restarts fifteen times until the human is satisfied with their starting tiles.

Turn 39, game ends out of the blue as the human fails to get Stonehenge.

I always play with legendary start because gently caress it. Not that I'm that picky anyways.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I always play with legendary start because gently caress it. Not that I'm that picky anyways.
Yeah with legendary start you almost always get a decent enough start to not want to restart. Unless you're like one of my friends who, when playing Civ4, would save before a village/ruin/goody hut and reload if he didn't get a free worker or settler because he'd "fall behind too much" if he didn't get one. :suicide:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SHISHKABOB posted:

Whenever I do legendary start, I always seem to wind up in the middle of a mountain range. :saddowns:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Legendarily lovely? :v:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

prefect posted:

Humans can be awfully stupid.

My Civ V group got to the point where it was commonplace to say things like "if you take that goody-hut, the war will never end".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's why the only mp civ I play os co-op. Me and one to three buddies against a... somewhat coordinated... mess of Deity AIs :getin:

Poil posted:

Unless you're like one of my friends who, when playing Civ4, would save before a village/ruin/goody hut and reload if he didn't get a free worker or settler because he'd "fall behind too much" if he didn't get one. :suicide:

tell your friend to stop playing on settler

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Whenever I do legendary start, I always seem to wind up in the middle of a mountain range. :saddowns:

I like having a mountain range near me, it helps define my borders and keeps the AI out a little. The way I play, it is so goddamn annoying when the AI plops a city in the middle of my future nation. Like, dude that's *my* land. It makes things so messy and ugly. I need pretty looking territory boundaries.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pretty borders are important.

The White Dragon posted:

That's why the only mp civ I play os co-op. Me and one to three buddies against a... somewhat coordinated... mess of Deity AIs :getin:

tell your friend to stop playing on settler
Dunno, hearing someone's cry of rage over skype/streaming when you built a wonder purely because you thought he would try and grab it is pretty dope. Especially when he doesn't know it was you. :haw:

We haven't played Civ4 in years. Now we have different problems like him expanding when at negative happiness because he feels he should have a certain number of cities by turn x. Or getting a bit cranky when he isn't making x00 science per turn at turn y despite being the tech leader. Not that I don't do dumb poo poo too of course...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Poil posted:

Yeah with legendary start you almost always get a decent enough start to not want to restart. Unless you're like one of my friends who, when playing Civ4, would save before a village/ruin/goody hut and reload if he didn't get a free worker or settler because he'd "fall behind too much" if he didn't get one. :suicide:

This was why Shoshone was my favourite Civ V pick. I'd go all in on Production making more Pathfinders for more huts, with just enough food to stay level, get to like Pop 5 from huts, and go right for building the drat Library as soon as I rushed the tech, which was usually pretty fast because pops = science and also getting entire techs from huts. First Pantheon usually, too, as I'd hang around a hut til the turn Faith bonuses unlocked.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Since it hasn't been posted yet, here are the new wonders (stolen from Civfanatics) :

Apadana
Must be built next to the captial's city center.
Instantly get 2 envoys.
Every new wonder in that city gets you 2 more envoys.

Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
Free Great Admiral.
All Great Admirals and Great Engineers get an extra charge.

Not sure if they have bonus culture or other yields.

Also, Alexander's agenda is that he likes civs at war with non-Macedon civs, and he doesn't like peaceful civs.
Cyrus's agenda is that he likes people who declare surprise wars (and you get a penalty for never having had a surprise war).

Youtube of the livestream is here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do7vFbl5m1Q

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kalko posted:

Cyrus's agenda is that he likes people who declare surprise wars (and you get a penalty for never having had a surprise war).

:10bux: says this does not even come close to canceling out how much he'll hate you for being a warmonger.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Probably, though they did say in the first part of the stream that they've tweaked the warmonger and diplomatic knobs again to make things feel more rational. They also said they did a pass on unit strengths and district bonuses (he didn't specifically say district costs though) and they did some more AI work. Oh, and they finally managed to fix the last production notification bug!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SlothBear posted:

:10bux: says this does not even come close to canceling out how much he'll hate you for being a warmonger.

There is a 100% chance that you are correct.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kalko posted:

Also, Alexander's agenda is that he likes civs at war with non-Macedon civs, and he doesn't like peaceful civs.

Two civs I'm definitely not going to get along with. I'm looking forward to this. :twisted:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I could imagine getting along with Alex very well. By bribing him to attack other civs.

Edit: But what are the odds he gets dogpiled by everyone and wiped out early on more often than not?

Kassad fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 24, 2017

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Can you actually bribe civs to go to war with another civ? Joint war doesn't count.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Alex seems like he'll be pretty resistant to dogpiling. His two classical uniques and his free eurekas and inspirations (not to mention the full global heal for all units upon capturing a city with a wonder) seem like really easy bonuses for the AI to take advantage of.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Kalko posted:

Alex seems like he'll be pretty resistant to dogpiling. His two classical uniques and his free eurekas and inspirations (not to mention the full global heal for all units upon capturing a city with a wonder) seem like really easy bonuses for the AI to take advantage of.

I think that's just a scenario thing.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
No, I just watched the livestream and near the end they say it's the same in the base game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Can you actually bribe civs to go to war with another civ? Joint war doesn't count.

Nope, only Joint Wars.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

All improvements so far that change appeal do it to adjacent tiles not their own, so I imagine this one will be the same.

That's good, but on a semi-related note the appeal mechanic irritates me - I don't think it's a good thing to have something which you can observe and plan from the start of the game (if you want to), but unless you play Australia it has zero use whatsoever until the endgame. It should do something more useful in the interim like give amenities.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Nope, only Joint Wars.

What would be the reason that they got rid of bribing someone to start a war? That was the most fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kassad posted:

No, I just watched the livestream and near the end they say it's the same in the base game.

That's such a bad idea by the developers. It sounds cool when you are Alex, but imagine a battle against him, and all of his units suddenly heal because he took a city from another player halfway around the world.