Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Section Z posted:

I thank goodness I have the thunder helm now too, because quality wood weapons are not really a thing outside of the two handed dragonbone weapons, and now bokoblins are sporting knight and royal shields when I see them rather than dragonbone wood shields, etc. "Welp, a thunrderstorm started while I was fighting this Lynel. Now, do I use my ONE dragonbone weapon which will break in five seconds against him... Or take the defense loss but allow myself to use my ****ing weapons and shields of choice. Yeah, not a tough call"

Guardian and ancient weapons aren't metallic. :ssh:

And with endgame gear, they're the best weapons in the game, plus they're infinitely farmable from eight different guardian scouts that respawn every blood moon and are weak to their own weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shocking story twist! Kass returned home! I had him pegged as a deadbeat dad who would go from locked shrine to stable forever.

Oh, and Kass definitely plays the original Zelda theme at one point. I'm listening to him do it right now, in fact.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Internet Kraken posted:

That's not what I asked though. I wanna know if its actually possible to avoid that attack with a dodge or I should just stop trying.

Then no, stop trying. The dodge gets cancelled out because of the attack's ever expanding hitbox and follows through you as you dodge and you won't be able to flurry attack anyway. Just run out of its range.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually thinking about it more the thing holding back her power seems to be confidence. Zelda can't accomplish anything through her endless prayer because in the back of her mind she is always plagued with doubt. She grew up having to live up to the standards set by her ancestors without proper guidance due to her mother's death. So when her powers aren't readily apparent, everyone gets frustrated. All the negative feedback she gets just fucks her over because she is trying her hardest. It just doesn't matter because she's always distracted by her failures.

Its only when at the literal last moment where she is totally focused on protecting Link that she gets over that barrier. Not through any amount of training but just because her brain was totally focused on this out of desperation.

That has gently caress all to do with wisdom though and would be more appropriate of courage.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I found this creepy rear end pond at the top of a mountain with a bunch of ghost animals just staring at me. Am I supposed to do something specific here?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Old but re: number of shrines, it's very YMMV but "not looking up the reward or even if there was one" from getting all the shrines was absolutely a good decision when I was doing a playthrough even before how subpar it is aesthetically

I just played the game doing poo poo until about the 80-90 mark, said "I should see if I can hunt down the remaining ones" and started doing slightly more focused wandering in areas that had less shrine density, and ended up needing to look up the locations of two of them in the end (both quests). Any time I even started getting a bit toasted I just...stopped playing for a little bit, did something else, then something (usually reading this thread, ironically) would make me say "oh poo poo that's awesome" and before I knew it I'd be playing and having fun again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I found this creepy rear end pond at the top of a mountain with a bunch of ghost animals just staring at me. Am I supposed to do something specific here?

You found blupees, shoot them for rupees. Also there's the Lord of the Mountain you can potentially mount and ride around. The mountain it's on is also a Satoru Iwata reference.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Did you see the horse-like looking motherfucker? What do you think you can do with something that looks like a horse?

EDIT: Can we talk about how awesome the soundtrack is? And how the piano as main instrument really contributes to the loneliness of the journey of the game? Or how the little bits of previous themes that creep in - Death mountain, overworld, etc - are like hazy memories of a distant age, which also contributes to the overall feeling of how things have gone to poo poo?

:spergin:

Double EDIT: http://apptrigger.com/2017/03/12/breath-of-the-wild-musical-nostalgia/ some more :spergin: here.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, you can sneak up on one of them and catch a ride...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish the upgrade statues were marked on the map after you find them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The upgrade statues are located in every town + every spring.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

You can do this yourself

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Zelda's potential unlocking had gently caress all to do with knowledge though. She just pulled it out of nowhere at the last possible moment. Presumably because she didn't believe hard enough beforehand. It wasn't the first moment she needed it either. If she had done it earlier than Link wouldn't of nearly died and the whole 100 years of despair could of been avoided.

Like, I like the idea that Zelda actually utilizes her intelligence to realize her potential, but that doesn't happen at all.

To be honest, I haven't beaten the game yet but I always get the impression from watching the memories is that Zelda is disappointed in being in a Legend of Zelda story. I think she wants to be in Link's position. By the sounds of things and where some memories go, I don't think that's a correct interpretation, but I think it's an interesting one. She wants to do her own thing and be her own person but the story - destiny - won't let her.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually thinking about it more the thing holding back her power seems to be confidence. Zelda can't accomplish anything through her endless prayer because in the back of her mind she is always plagued with doubt. She grew up having to live up to the standards set by her ancestors without proper guidance due to her mother's death. So when her powers aren't readily apparent, everyone gets frustrated. All the negative feedback she gets just fucks her over because she is trying her hardest. It just doesn't matter because she's always distracted by her failures.

Its only when at the literal last moment where she is totally focused on protecting Link that she gets over that barrier. Not through any amount of training but just because her brain was totally focused on this out of desperation.

That has gently caress all to do with wisdom though and would be more appropriate of courage.

Note that Zelda isn't actually using the Triforce of Wisdom in this case, and Link doesn't have the Triforce of Courage from what the narrative shows us. As far as the game is concerned, the Hyrule royal family has all three pieces of the Triforce (something that's mentioned to have happened at least once before in the manual story from Zelda 2. Incidentally, Zelda 2 explicitly mentions the King having designed "guardians" to protect the pieces of the Triforce of Courage the seals on the Great Palace :ninja: ). Her magic uses the full Triforce in every appearance in the game, and no one's hand does the whole "show which part of the Triforce you bear" thing.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 23, 2017

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Man I'm pretty love/hate with the shrines right now. They honestly feel like they're part of a separate game. Theres typically no danger or risk in any of them, and when there is there's little variety. With the exception of bombs, they're pretty much the only places where the game makes use of the rune powers. And when it comes to shrine quests, getting an automatic reward shrine feels pretty anti climatic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Old but re: number of shrines, it's very YMMV but "not looking up the reward or even if there was one" from getting all the shrines was absolutely a good decision when I was doing a playthrough even before how subpar it is aesthetically

I just played the game doing poo poo until about the 80-90 mark, said "I should see if I can hunt down the remaining ones" and started doing slightly more focused wandering in areas that had less shrine density, and ended up needing to look up the locations of two of them in the end (both quests). Any time I even started getting a bit toasted I just...stopped playing for a little bit, did something else, then something (usually reading this thread, ironically) would make me say "oh poo poo that's awesome" and before I knew it I'd be playing and having fun again.

Yeah. This is honestly the best way to play the game. The less spoiled you are, the better an experience it is. Due to knowing what the reward for getting all the shrines was (and wanting it) it's become a rush to the shrines instead of taking my time. That might be my own personal failing, but...welp.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Random Stranger posted:

Shocking story twist! Kass returned home! I had him pegged as a deadbeat dad who would go from locked shrine to stable forever.

Oh, and Kass definitely plays the original Zelda theme at one point. I'm listening to him do it right now, in fact.

The best quest reward too. he plays along with the town music at night, plays/sings in the morning, and his kids sing with him playing during the day.

Best quest reward since Nier's "get this person drunk enough to sing in public. What, you want a money reward? Shut up and enjoy the music."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

andipossess posted:

Note that Zelda isn't actually using the Triforce of Wisdom in this case, and Link doesn't have the Triforce of Courage from what the narrative shows us. As far as the game is concerned, the Hyrule royal family has all three pieces of the Triforce (something that's mentioned to have happened at least once before in the manual story from Zelda 2. Incidentally, Zelda 2 explicitly mentions the King having designed "guardians" to protect the pieces of the Triforce of Courage :ninja: ). Her magic uses the full Triforce in every appearance in the game, and no one's hand does the whole "show which part of the Triforce you bear" thing.

Glad someone said the obvious before I got a chance to

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are there extra heart containers somewhere or did these monsters really make the heart rows not even?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah. This is honestly the best way to play the game. The less spoiled you are, the better an experience it is. Due to knowing what the reward for getting all the shrines was (and wanting it) it's become a rush to the shrines instead of taking my time. That might be my own personal failing, but...welp.

I didn't even know there was one thanks for spoiling that :mad:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like the reward for doing all the shrines. It looks very rugged but I am sad I'll never get it because who has the patience

Also I just noticed that Kass's complete theme also includes a bit of Song of Storms so there's that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Are there extra heart containers somewhere or did these monsters really make the heart rows not even?

They didn't want extra heart food to become permanently obsolete

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You shouldn't have taken so much stamina.

Just kidding. You should always take all the stamina.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

They didn't want extra heart food to become permanently obsolete

I want them to remove the heart cap so that I can have half of my screen filled with yellow hearts from top to bottom.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

You shouldn't have taken so much stamina.

Just kidding. You should always take all the stamina.

Wait do you actually have the option to go for 30 hearts and have less than full stamina?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Regy Rusty posted:

Wait do you actually have the option to go for 30 hearts and have less than full stamina?

Yes, this game is open enough to allow for poor decisions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

canoshiz posted:

Eat the frog Link.

Zoran posted:

That ruled.
It was great :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jimbot posted:

To be honest, I haven't beaten the game yet but I always get the impression from watching the memories is that Zelda is disappointed in being in a Legend of Zelda story. I think she wants to be in Link's position. By the sounds of things and where some memories go, I don't think that's a correct interpretation, but I think it's an interesting one. She wants to do her own thing and be her own person but the story - destiny - won't let her.

That's sort of correct. I don't think she hates her duty but is immensely frustrated by her inability to fulfill it. She spends all this time trying to do that but gets no results and has a complete lack of proper guidance. So she comes to resent it because despite all her effort she can't make any tangible progress. Her passion, being a scholar, is considered a waste of time because everyone is freaking out about Ganon's imminent return. So the Princess loving around with robots instead of unlocking her power is kind of an issue. So she ends up not even being able to indulge in her interests which just makes her hate her responsibilities even more.

When push comes to shove, she doesn't run away from her duty and fulfills it. She also seems dedicated to restoring Hyrule in the ending. Its not like being the princess and a book nerd are mutually exclusive anyways.

Basically everything is the old man's fault for not giving her enough pep talks.

Section Z posted:

It was great :allears:

I'd like this Zelda a lot more if more of the memories showed that side of her.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For all the weirdo design decisions this game has, I think most of them work in their own way, but climbing in rain is just bullshit.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Inverness posted:

Are you reloading your save? The first drop is always a scale no matter where you aim.

:stare:

GOD drat IT! :argh:

Edit: i'm not reloading saves, but each time I fight it the first drop is a scale or the the first time I fight him it's always a scale?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally got all the shrines. I like how the Wild set gets less fanfare than the Hylian shield. I don't think anybody has any special dialogue when you wear it, either, which is disappointing.

Welp, I'm done. Good game, good game :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

:stare:

GOD drat IT! :argh:

Edit: i'm not reloading saves, but each time I fight it the first drop is a scale or the the first time I fight him it's always a scale?

The first time you shoot a dragon you get a scale because it's supposed to be used in the applicable spring. If you've already done that then no, you should get the drop corresponding to where you shot it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

You can either have 27 hearts and 3 stamina wheels, or 30 hearts and 2.4 stamina wheels. Or shuffle your last 3 upgrades between them I guess, if you're some kind of weirdo that wants neither of your bars to be complete.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Short of fast traveling and doing something else entirely, 2 days straight of rain has made it so i literally cannot progress and I'm feeling a lot like this game can gently caress itself right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I should be able to have 3 hearts and 27 stamina wheels.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Regy Rusty posted:

The first time you shoot a dragon you get a scale because it's supposed to be used in the applicable spring. If you've already done that then no, you should get the drop corresponding to where you shot it.

Ok, then I'm just a bad shot.

But dammit, Why didn't I think of just saving and reloading if I don't get what I want?

I did finally get the Master Sword. Feels Good man.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

But dammit, Why didn't I think of just saving and reloading if I don't get what I want?

Are you doing a mid-air shot for the slo-mo?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
What I would love to see in the next game is somehow jam BotW and Wind Waker together. Have like 3 or 4 major continents roughly the size of Hyrule and in between a major sea that you can explore, and actual reasons for you to explore it.

Also TIngle.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically everything is the old man's fault for not giving her enough pep talks.

I'd like this Zelda a lot more if more of the memories showed that side of her.

Well, you answered your own question for why we don't :v: Probably goes a good ways to why Zelda eventually likes Link, a silent protagonist will generally let you nerd out in peace.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah I always use zoom in bows like the Golden or Phrenic for the times I actually go dragon hunting. That combined with slow mo action shots have made a huge difference, on top of just knowing places to get convenient shots.

Also, make sure you use normal arrows. I used fire (or was it bomb?) arrows one of my earlier tries to make sure hitting them counted, and shooting them in the horn ended up giving me a tooth fragment. Other dumb questions include "Did you have a multi shot bow equipped?", another mistake I've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That reminds me, is the golden bow the best sniper bow in the game? I never found one with a higher attack rating than it.