Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C. Everett Koop posted:

On the other hand, Tyler Hansbrough.

He was picked in the lottery, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol at Dirk still being in the league while Psycho T is already out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

As a Kings fan, should be I happy if we get Miles Bridges with the Pelicans pick?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn't be shocked if Justin Jackson is like the MCW of the next draft (guy who has one of the better seasons among drafted rookies but probaly hits his ceiling there).

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 23, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As I said earlier, your feeling on the UNC Jackson is going to depend on whether or not you buy him suddenly shooting 10% better from 3 being sustainable. The biggest reason he fell in the first place was that he never developed as a shooter the way people hoped he would out of high school. He is now but generally it's right to be suspicious of sudden dramatic improvement late in your college career when you're older than most of the people you're playing against

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

As I said earlier, your feeling on the UNC Jackson is going to depend on whether or not you buy him suddenly shooting 10% better from 3 being sustainable. The biggest reason he fell in the first place was that he never developed as a shooter the way people hoped he would out of high school. He is now but generally it's right to be suspicious of sudden dramatic improvement late in your college career when you're older than most of the people you're playing against

Is he a better athlete than he looks from the clips I've seen? Granted most of those are showing off his shot but he looks average for a pro prospect

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

WesJohnson.txt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Justin Jackson is like the MCW of the next draft (guy who has one of the better seasons among drafted rookies but probaly hits his ceiling there).

I feel like this description needs the qualifier that the rookie class is poo poo which doesn't (in theory) describe this class at all

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

As a Kings fan, should be I happy if we get Miles Bridges with the Pelicans pick?

I honestly don't know. I thought early his game had too much post play, but he's picked up playing the wing pretty effectively. He's not as quick or as crafty around the basket as Tatum and Josh Jackson and maybe that might take a lot of what he does off the table in the NBA. But it's hard to draw that line firmly when he's playing against college players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like this description needs the qualifier that the rookie class is poo poo which doesn't (in theory) describe this class at all

It's not but it's still pretty young and likely to struggle next year. Justin J. might contribute modestly fairly quickly. Like I won't be shocked if Fultz comes out the gate great but he's likely going to Boston who might have a short leash on him.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Draft Express/The Vertical has a new mock draft up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-mock-draft-version-2-0-135637001.html

Looks like this is the first one where Givony tries to take team need into account

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/845073003629174785

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man more and more mocks putting Fox ahead of Dennis Smith. That's nuts.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Someone tell me about the guy with the best name in this draft, Alpha Kaba.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Someone tell me about the guy with the best name in this draft, Alpha Kaba.

Omer Yurtseven

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Omer Yurtseven

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

Omer Yurtseven

Where's Omer

He's in yurt seven

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Josh Jackson is credibly defending Miles Bridges and Biggie Swabian on B2B nights. This dude is going to be ridiculous on that end

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

straight up brolic posted:

Josh Jackson is credibly defending Miles Bridges and Biggie Swabian on B2B nights. This dude is going to be ridiculous on that end

Yeah, it's incredible watching him. His potential is unreal. Him looking like he has a really good chance to be a lockdown wing defender at the next level is what seals him being ahead of Ball for me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
How do you guys like the Iguodala comp for Jackson? I've seen it a lot and I know comps are really reductive and lazy but it does seem on point. Of course, I am a terrible scout.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Man more and more mocks putting Fox ahead of Dennis Smith. That's nuts.

Fox is gonna be one of those Elfrid Payton type guys who is good enough sporadically to start for way to long and kill his team

Criminal Minded posted:

How do you guys like the Iguodala comp for Jackson? I've seen it a lot and I know comps are really reductive and lazy but it does seem on point. Of course, I am a terrible scout.

It's pretty good I think. Dunno if I like him quite as much defensively but they have really similar offensive games and playmaking abilities.

I don't really get the Tatum/Jackson debate I've seen pop up, I like Jackson a lot more. They have similar weaknesses but Jacksons an elite athlete and Tatum isn't

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah it's a solid comp, Iguodala and Jackson. I feel like Jackson is more athletic but that might be recency bias.

And yeah, just not a lot of question to me about Tatum vs Jackson. Jackson's a lot better. Maybe Tatum can adapt a little better to being a small ball PF, maybe. But everything else is in Jackson's favor.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Will Jackson be able to guard 1-4 or is he's going to be better off sticking just 3-4s?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Only prospect that matters

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dejan-Todorovic-48923/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Ty1990 posted:

Will Jackson be able to guard 1-4 or is he's going to be better off sticking just 3-4s?

1-4.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's gonna have to bulk up a lot before he can guard 4s

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

He's gonna have to bulk up a lot before he can guard 4s

Yeah that's the one where I'm doubtful, even with weight gain, unless it's a :New NBA: power forward.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I wish your brother, in this culture where surnames come first, the best of luck.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

Yeah it's a solid comp, Iguodala and Jackson. I feel like Jackson is more athletic but that might be recency bias.

Iggy used to be like Mini-LeBron out there, one of the most athletic dudes on the planet, but he's not anymore as of a few years now. Is that what you mean recency? Or you mean Jackson is sticking out because you viewed him recent?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Young Iggy had more burst than Josh I feel but didn't get as high. From the little I've seen of him, Josh's gliding athleticism reminds me of Darius Miles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Young Iggy was absolutely able to get up. He was strong too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltE0I1VpGKU (start 39 seconds in, stupid SA won't let me start at a time period.

His game has adjusted as he's gotten older, but he was well above average athletically.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Which games/prospects are the best to watch in tonight's games?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Iggy used to be like Mini-LeBron out there, one of the most athletic dudes on the planet, but he's not anymore as of a few years now. Is that what you mean recency? Or you mean Jackson is sticking out because you viewed him recent?

Sticking out because viewing recently.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Lockback posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltE0I1VpGKU (start 39 seconds in, stupid SA won't let me start at a time period.

His game has adjusted as he's gotten older, but he was well above average athletically.

Didn't say he wasn't able to, just think Josh has an easier time getting up there like Darius did, both of whom are about 2-3 inches taller than Iggy. That vid is great at showing Iggy's burst, which I noted.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Which games/prospects are the best to watch in tonight's games?

Well Kentucky is playing UCLA so pretty much everyone starting in that game, but more specifically Ball, Monk and Fox.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

TJ Leaf will prob be a mid lottery pick too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I like Leaf more than I like Fox but he won't go as high

The other games have guys who will get a look and could go late first/second round but no real huge prospects

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltE0I1VpGKU&t=29s

Lockback posted:

(start 39 seconds in, stupid SA won't let me start at a time period.

It should automatically do it if you C&P in the deep link, but you can edit it in with start="29" in the video tag (I put it in up top for example so it doesn't disappear in a quote)

Either way yahhhh that video's got exactly what I meant by Mini-LeBron, he doesn't seem to float in the air like some dudes so much as he power-streaks through it. Man I love his reach on them dunks. Also similar shooting issues.

Rick posted:

Sticking out because viewing recently.

ahh, gotcha.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I wouldn't put too much stock in it, but Ball was pretty well exposed by UK and Fox tonight. Finally someone defended him at the body from NBA range and in and his shot missed short every single time in the second half. I've hated him in Ball pressure against NBA athletes all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's not really that I'm putting much stock in it tonight, it's just that it's been the general pattern as you pointed out. Arizona doesn't really have NBA talent at guards and were able to mostly do the same to him.

• Locked thread