Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What fuckin' dummies.

I'm convinced poo poo like this is half the reason fraternization rules changed a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Carteret posted:

Holy gently caress I remember when your rear end was posting from AIT

I was digging through my PMs a while back and read some stuff I had sent to people who offered to answer dumb "I'm thinking about joining the army!" questions. My entire military career can probably be tracked on these forums.

Also, I was given a whole 4 days to clear my unit and post, so we'll see if I can actually manage it in that time or if I'll sign out on leave and still be clearing.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Day 1 of In-processing:

- I show up for personnel records review as told.
- I grab my number, sit down, and wait in the queue like everyone else. My number gets called.
- I ask hey, I already did this when I out-processed my last duty station (less than a month ago). Give me a stamp and I'll just see my S1 with an appointment. Time saved for all, right? But no, I have to do a record review because its required for in-processing.
- I'm told I'm not on 'the list' for today and that the reception company needs to put me on it. I can't/won't be seen today because I'm not on the list.
- Literally 4 people's numbers are called but they are no-shows. I ask if I can take their spot. Again, civilians tell me that I won't be seen unless I'm on their list.
- I grab an ICE comment card half jokingly on my way out to the reception company and the head OPM civilian spots it and starts getting defensive and explaining that his folks are just following the list.
- He says we've tried walk-ins before and that again, you must be on the list to be seen. "We've tried walk-ins before and it didn't work. Where do you draw the line for walk-ins?"
- I go back to the reception company. Retiring E-7 obviously didn't make sure I was on there, basically acknowledges that he hosed up, and sends an updated list to the personnel records people saying I need to be seen.
- I head back to the personnel records office and look at that, I'm on their list now. They update my SGLI and DD93 as required for processing with no issue.

TL;DR: holy red tape batman. If you want civilians to poo poo a brick just grab an ICE comment card.

Triggs fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 22, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
ICE comment cards can work both ways. I've had good results with submitting positive ICE comments when they do basic stuff like "showed up, fixed toilet, left," but DPW somehow gets a lot more responsive or fit you earlier in the queue if they think there's a fair chance they'll get kudos simply for doing their job mostly on time.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I should just have a stack of them in my out processing packet this week. "Accidentally" drop a few when I had whoever my paperwork to sign off on...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Triggs posted:

Day 1 of In-processing:

- I show up for personnel records review as told.
- I grab my number, sit down, and wait in the queue like everyone else. My number gets called.
- I ask hey, I already did this when I out-processed my last duty station (less than a month ago). Give me a stamp and I'll just see my S1 with an appointment. Time saved for all, right? But no, I have to do a record review because its required for in-processing.
- I'm told I'm not on 'the list' for today and that the reception company needs to put me on it. I can't/won't be seen today because I'm not on the list.
- Literally 4 people's numbers are called but they are no-shows. I ask if I can take their spot. Again, civilians tell me that I won't be seen unless I'm on their list.
- I grab an ICE comment card half jokingly on my way out to the reception company and the head OPM civilian spots it and starts getting defensive and explaining that his folks are just following the list.
- He says we've tried walk-ins before and that again, you must be on the list to be seen. "We've tried walk-ins before and it didn't work. Where do you draw the line for walk-ins?"
- I go back to the reception company. Retiring E-7 obviously didn't make sure I was on there, basically acknowledges that he hosed up, and sends an updated list to the personnel records people saying I need to be seen.
- I head back to the personnel records office and look at that, I'm on their list now. They update my SGLI and DD93 as required for processing with no issue.

TL;DR: holy red tape batman. If you want civilians to poo poo a brick just grab an ICE comment card.

An ICE comment card I filled out saying "poor service, staff didn't know their jobs, attempted to deny me benefits based on incorrect information, illegally stripped me of ID card" didn't go anywhere.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

McNally posted:

An ICE comment card I filled out saying "poor service, staff didn't know their jobs, attempted to deny me benefits based on incorrect information, illegally stripped me of ID card" didn't go anywhere.

Oh, it went somewhere. The office shredder.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

poo poo like this is half the reason fraternization rules changed a few years back.

No. The rules changed because the secret cabal of senior NCO's were super pissed that all the really hot enlisted females were only loving Officers. :colbert:

I know this for a FACT. :colbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cbkm07IWs

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Rak solid...

Fun! Im right down the street at Brigade. Today we have two hours of safety standdown because one kid committed suicide and another shot himself in the face. Also have the Rak Sale today! Let me know if you want any unit swag.

Welcome to Campbell! Hope you like poo poo weather.

EDIT: This place isn't that bad. My experience has been pretty sour, though, so it bleeds into my posts. Its a lot like any other station, keep your nose clean and you'll be fine. Clarksville has some good places to eat and a great farmers market that opens in may-June, and Nashville is an hour out. You'll be fine. Never work staff.

Triggs posted:

I'm headed to the CAB

Have some friends there. It's not that bad.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can someone do a quick summary and tell me what changed from when I got out (2004) to being in now ITYOOL 2017?

Yall need to check emails?!

I'd love to spend a week following a soldier around just to see what life is like.

I was in May 2000 to May 2004. 95B, Pre 9/11 Army was the best Army, I know there are some fellow old farts out there besides me

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can someone do a quick summary and tell me what changed from when I got out (2004) to being in now ITYOOL 2017?

I'd love to spend a week following a soldier around just to see what life is like.

I was in May 2000 to May 2004. 95B, Pre 9/11 Army was the best Army, I know there are some fellow old farts out there besides me

The biggest difference between then and now is everyone has a smart phone.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
We never had to check e-mails either. I know AKO kind of came out around then but nobody ever used it. There also was this program where if you signed up for online correspondence courses (are these still a thing) you got a free laptop. Howeveranyone who got a free laptop couldn't get online unless they had an AOL account and paid for a barracks 56k line

When I was finishing my last year in Camp Hialeah a few of the KATUSA's had cell phones with cameras and everyone was always like "lol wtf you need a camera on a phone for." The only phones we had were those lovely Nokia's that everyone played Snake on while hiding in the motorpool

God drat I'm old.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Transgender stuff is hot right now.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Is there still like 24 hour CQ that some lucky PV2 has to do on Saturday while the E5 with him makes him literally do everything?

Do ya'll have Motorpool Monday where you pistol whip your PMCS checks just waiting for that food truck to bring you the worst bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches?

Pre 9/11 I remember everyone thought going to the field was the place to show how tough and high-speed they were. I can't imagine anyone now who's been deployed 2-3 times takes Garrison field time with any kind of seriousness.

Dang, I'm starting to miss the Army.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

All of that is literally the same, except the food trucks are now the FRG.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dang, I'm starting to miss the Army.

Read the rest of this thread and the idiots thread, and you'll be cured of this bothersome condition.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I saw a food truck once. In NTC. Then they banned the food trucks from driving out to where we had our tents set up because "they could be potential terrorist infiltrators" in the stupid dumb dumb army game to "prepare" us for deploying.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Food trucks are still a racket on Bragg

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

if you ban food trucks i will cut you

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The only time I saw a gut truck on Lewis was outside the GDLS shop.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

fort sam had a really good gut truck just park in the middle of the classrooms and made fuckin bank

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bliss had decent gut trucks that would take GPS grids to find your unit.

It also had an officially licensed Arby's truck that would show up to a bn and sell out in 30 minutes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i remember when i was at fort dix mobbing and the one of the pizza places in bordentown was supposedly planning a plot

fuckin hilarious

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Campbell and Hood both have gut trucks, and from talking to one of the drivers one day they never fail to get business. One out at Hood also sold Gillette razors in those dumb 10 packs for Privates that forgot their own.

Gut trucks are a part of Army life, and have been for a while. Same for the ajuuma tents in Korea.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Naked Bear posted:

This is where I was stationed. 170th MP Company

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Mike-o posted:

I saw a food truck once. In NTC. Then they banned the food trucks from driving out to where we had our tents set up because "they could be potential terrorist infiltrators" in the stupid dumb dumb army game to "prepare" us for deploying.

I remember that kind of stupid happening in the Marines as well. Doing an Oki-pump in 04, the Fuji CAO and the brass decides they can't let anyone off post because "we need to simulate real world conditions". Despite everyone who had just gotten back from OIF 1&2 telling them everyone took every opportunity during actual war to get some kind of goddamned relief. I'm convinced that this attitude is part of the risk averse coward bullshit involved in us not winning anything in 60+ years...

I have a three day drill next weekend and I'm half looking forward to it because I get to shoot things and half not because there is just no energy anymore to fight the stupid.

I mean poo poo, if the locals in Baghdad were running food trucks during the invasion we totally would have bought the food and dealt with the shitter fire afterwards.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear posted:

Now that you mention it lol yeah probably. It's GDLS.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Campbell had/has a breakfast truck where the family makes green salsa and it's seriously the best thing ever made and I would cheerfully kill people to obtain the recipe.

I wonder if it was a New Mexico thing, cause they're big on green pepper poo poo. Basically it was a garlic-y and green hot sauce. So good.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

manchego posted:

Campbell had/has a breakfast truck where the family makes green salsa and it's seriously the best thing ever made and I would cheerfully kill people to obtain the recipe.

I wonder if it was a New Mexico thing, cause they're big on green pepper poo poo. Basically it was a garlic-y and green hot sauce. So good.

Tomatillos. That is the secret to their salsa. That and sometimes avocado. My wife makes that poo poo all the time.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

ASAPI posted:

Tomatillos. That is the secret to their salsa. That and sometimes avocado. My wife makes that poo poo all the time.

oh poo poo i'd never considered tomatillo before

brilliant

you've enriched my life

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wow so the army was worth it after all??

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
New Mexico chilis are amazing. Also, unless you live in a frozen wasteland, buying some $1-2 started chilis and tossing them in a pot will probably give you more chilis than you can eat with minimal maintenance. Watering and a little bit of miracle grow brought in a couple hundred chilis this past season. Very worth it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

This is where I was stationed. 170th MP Company

You were a Ft. McClellan MP weren't you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

verde is easy - tomatillos, jalapenos, and green chiles like anahaim or poblano with garlic, lime, and salt.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So much Stryker recovery training....and some funny stories

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

"Recovery training" as in "here's what to do if your truck breaks down" or as in "we drove halfway up/down a cliff and now we're stuck because we'll flip over if we move."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If there wasn't at least one truck on fire, nose down in a ditch, or upside down, then it wasn't training.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Here's a funny story: You'll be an XO in like a year or less, probably.

Sorry, that was hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It's not hosed up if it's true.