Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
gently caress, that seems real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but they're not cheap either. Mission fund gain is slow.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's not too bad. If you're sending teams to do all your Strike Missions and doing the ones you can yourself then you should get the 190 you need easily before the current equipment rotates.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They really cleaned up the gear options quite a bit. In ME3 there was a huge amount of gear, much of it quite overlapping and superfluous, and it had 5 levels (which affected its quality way more than with guns--the difference between 1 and 5 extra grenades for instance). In andromeda there are just 3 uncommon and 3 rare gear items I could see in the collection, and they do not have levels. So it should be quite easy to collect them, just depends on how bioware has them set up to appear in the store (if the store is 100% automated like vermintide's contract board, it is possible one of the gears will be impossible for anyone to have until six months from now or whatever).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finally got all my basic packs bought, took 47 levels doing bronze only. Opened 10 premium packs.

Only N7 stuff I got was Angara Avenger twice, could be worse I guess. Definitely going to start leveling that since it sounds strong. Also got a bunch of weapons to test out obviously.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A few other questions coming from ME3 multi to this:

So getting a class repeat in packs is not only for cosmetics any more? You get more skill points on a (for example) Human Engineer X vs. I?

Is promoting a class still in? I'm assuming you don't promote all your "Soldiers," for instance, at the same time anymore. But promoting a character starts them over at level 1 AND provides a small bonus across all of you characters right? Promoting an Engineer gives you a small bonus to power recharge speed correct?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Another dumb question: Is anyone else getting constantly disconnected from the network while playing MP? Bone goons I play with have been seeing it since launch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Only N7 stuff I got was Angara Avenger twice, could be worse I guess. Definitely going to start leveling that since it sounds strong. Also got a bunch of weapons to test out obviously.

Congratulations, you got the single best Ultra-rare in the game. Level her up and ride the gravy train until she gets nerfed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Another dumb question: Is anyone else getting constantly disconnected from the network while playing MP? Bone goons I play with have been seeing it since launch.

Yes, it's happening across platforms. On PC and I get disconnected from maybe 1/10 games.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

So getting a class repeat in packs is not only for cosmetics any more? You get more skill points on a (for example) Human Engineer X vs. I?

Is promoting a class still in? I'm assuming you don't promote all your "Soldiers," for instance, at the same time anymore. But promoting a character starts them over at level 1 AND provides a small bonus across all of you characters right? Promoting an Engineer gives you a small bonus to power recharge speed correct?

You get more skill points for going from 1 to X on a class, you also get cosmetics. You can promote a class but I don't think it does anything useful, you gain prestige experience while you're leveling and AFAIK you also gain it when you're level 20. You get the bonus when you get enough prestige XP on a particular bonus to level it up, the specific bonus your XP goes into differs from class to class but there're only 6? of them so there's a lot of overlap.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chasiubao posted:

Yup. Bigly.

It's frustrating as gently caress, every time I go to do a mission or a higher level game I get dropped almost without exception.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Games are connecting fine for me, but now I can't change the mods in my weapons. Just pulled a pistol barrel for 10% more damage and I can't plug it on to anything :smith:

Edit: Also what does resetting your level do when you hit 20? The popup is totally unhelpful and google is suggesting it does... nothing?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Wilekat posted:

Games are connecting fine for me, but now I can't change the mods in my weapons. Just pulled a pistol barrel for 10% more damage and I can't plug it on to anything :smith:

Edit: Also what does resetting your level do when you hit 20? The popup is totally unhelpful and google is suggesting it does... nothing?

Try changing the loadout on the phone app? I got hit with that on the XBone last night, along with some connection issues, so I was tooling around on my phone while I reset everything from my router to my switch and the Bone itself.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wilekat posted:

It resets you to level 1, and nothing else. They decoupled Prestige XP into its own bar, so now resetting it's just a super slow way to respec.

If it wasn't obvious, don't ever reset your level. It's a complete waste.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

M. Night Skymall posted:

You get more skill points for going from 1 to X on a class, you also get cosmetics. You can promote a class but I don't think it does anything useful, you gain prestige experience while you're leveling and AFAIK you also gain it when you're level 20. You get the bonus when you get enough prestige XP on a particular bonus to level it up, the specific bonus your XP goes into differs from class to class but there're only 6? of them so there's a lot of overlap.

Skippy McPants posted:

It resets you to level 1, and nothing else. They decoupled Prestige XP into its own bar, so now resetting it's just a super slow way to respec.

If it wasn't obvious, don't ever reset your level. It's a complete waste.

So I would get benefits to power recharge rates across all characters just by playing a bunch as an Engineer? No promotion required. That seems... odd.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Anyone else unable to send strike teams on the missions that you can either send a strike team or play multiplayer yourself? I get disconnected whenever I try, though I can send dudes on normal strike missions just fine.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

So I would get benefits to power recharge rates across all characters just by playing a bunch as an Engineer? No promotion required. That seems... odd.

Yep! It's a great change because it means you can just stick to playing gold+ once you hit 20 on the stuff you want to play. No more slumming in Bronze/Silver pubs when you need to reset and your trusted group is offline.

Piell posted:

Anyone else unable to send strike teams on the missions that you can either send a strike team or play multiplayer yourself? I get disconnected whenever I try, though I can send dudes on normal strike missions just fine.

Yes, I've had this happen a few times. No idea what's causing it, but it's a real pain in the rear end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Promotion isn't worthless guys it gives you 25 APEX points :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

To be fair, it's a LOT of xp.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Promotion isn't worthless guys it gives you 25 APEX points :v:

Oh Boy!

Anyhoo, doing a few more Golds before bed. Any goons want some free credits? You don't even have to be good; I just need warm bodies to do devices while I kill everything.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chasiubao posted:

How are Sentinels supposed to be played? Just run around combo'ing things?

I play mine like a bootleg krogan, run around shooting and punching stuff and when poo poo gets dicey I drop my mobile cover for extra damage and unbreakable shield, they're also a HUGE help in objective wave where the device or hacking thing is in an area with little to no cover.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Try changing the loadout on the phone app? I got hit with that on the XBone last night, along with some connection issues, so I was tooling around on my phone while I reset everything from my router to my switch and the Bone itself.

I gave this a try and no luck. It's telling me it can't do it until I log out of the game, but the game -- or Origin even -- isn't running. Oh well, teething issues with the servers I guess.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Multiplayer population watch: I have APEX rating 66, haven't played any multiplayer yet, and only 230,000 people are ranked higher than me. I hope to God that's a platform (Xbone in my case) number and not total.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Multiplayer population watch: I have APEX rating 66, haven't played any multiplayer yet, and only 230,000 people are ranked higher than me. I hope to God that's a platform (Xbone in my case) number and not total.

We need to play some games my man. Two Finger on XBL

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Two Finger posted:

We need to play some games my man. Two Finger on XBL

I'm Duzler.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I had to say I wasn't having connection issues, didn't I :sigh:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The N7 valiant on bronze is a crazy thing.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

What exactly is the difference between Bronze/Silver/Gold? I've done about 6 Silver missions and couldn't really tell the difference between Bronze.

Guess enemies take and do more damage?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah and the higher tiers show up earlier and in greater numbers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PSA: If you're lucky enough to get the Isharay, buy the Thermal Clip equipment, slap it on literally any class and you can jump right into Silver at level 1. As the Salarian Operative says "Don't be a hero! Get down!" Just keep away from large groups and kill dudes one at a time. Great way to get quickly up to level 10 or so.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

precision posted:

PSA: If you're lucky enough to get the Isharay, buy the Thermal Clip equipment, slap it on literally any class and you can jump right into Silver at level 1. As the Salarian Operative says "Don't be a hero! Get down!" Just keep away from large groups and kill dudes one at a time. Great way to get quickly up to level 10 or so.

Where do I get the Thermal Clip equipment?

Orv
May 4, 2011

gmq posted:

Store, Item Store, 75 mission credits.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Thermal Clip is in the item store, 75 mission points.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

gmq posted:

item store in the shop. You need 70 or 75 mission funds

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's probably better to just use 1 team on as many missions with a high success rate as you can until you get it to 20 and then worry about having other teams as that one slowly accumulates negative traits. That's what I did and my level 20 team can do gold missions with a 60% success rate most of the time.

Does anyone have a good build for human vanguards? At the moment I have barrier at 5 and charge at 6 with the full shield restore and I just charge things then punch them to death. This works pretty well in silver but I'm not sure it'll work in gold and I don't have anywhere to put the rest of my points that feels good. Maybe max out nova or shockwave for killing armored targets? Should I just get apex training to 6 in case I accidentally fire my gun?

If you have barrier at 5, definitely get "Saving Barrier" from rank 6. It'll save your butt when trying to run away or for those annoying times when the melee or charge button stop working!

Compared to punching stuff, both nova and shockwave do such piddly damage that they're barely even worth it, even against armored targets. I took shield damage on Nova for stripping observer shields, but charge->nova still leaves them with ~1/4 shield on gold. At this point, I'm pretty much just using Nova as an "oh poo poo" button for the invincibility frames (which you'll probably want too, since you took full shield restore). If you can figure out some way to make Nova or Shockwave evolutions more useful than just punching or shooting things, I'd love to hear it! Since Nova and Shockwave aren't super useful, going up Apex Training is nice for the 20% power recharge bonus at 6.

Punch vanguard is definitely viable on Gold - you just can't charge directly into huge packs of enemies like on bronze/silver. Instead, hang out with your team and guard the flanks. Try to charge at enemies that have soft cover between them and their friends so you're taking less fire. If you start taking a lot of heat, dash into and around cover until charge is back up! If you don't have it, make sure you pick up the juggernaut shield from the item shop - it'll make gold enemies punching about the same as silver enemy punching without it.

Edit: Why yes, I would love an APEX gold mission with +100% melee! Too bad it has observers...

AngryBooch posted:

These might be worth adding to OP. Rank I characters get 6/6/5/2/1 and Rank X get 6/6/6/6/1.

E: whoops, Rank I was slightly off.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 25, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Played a couple of matches, it's almost unplayable because of how buggy it is.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So how do I actually do the apex strike missions in multiplayer? I've clicked the "play this mission in multiplayer" option for one of them and joined a multiplayer game with those settings and beat it, about 5 times now, and haven't gotten any mission points or boxes. It just seemed like a normal MP game reward.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Stickman posted:

If you have barrier at 5, definitely get "Saving Barrier" from rank 6. It'll save your butt when trying to run away or for those annoying times when the melee or charge button stop working!

Compared to punching stuff, both nova and shockwave do such piddly damage that they're barely even worth it, even against armored targets. I took shield damage on Nova for stripping observer shields, but charge->nova still leaves them with ~1/4 shield on gold. At this point, I'm pretty much just using Nova as an "oh poo poo" button for the invincibility frames (which you'll probably want too, since you took full shield restore). If you can figure out some way to make Nova or Shockwave evolutions more useful than just punching or shooting things, I'd love to hear it! Since Nova and Shockwave aren't super useful, going up Apex Training is nice for the 20% power recharge bonus at 6.

Punch vanguard is definitely viable on Gold - you just can't charge directly into huge packs of enemies like on bronze/silver. Instead, hang out with your team and guard the flanks. Try to charge at enemies that have soft cover between them and their friends so you're taking less fire. If you start taking a lot of heat, dash into and around cover until charge is back up! If you don't have it, make sure you pick up the juggernaut shield from the item shop - it'll make gold enemies punching about the same as silver enemy punching without it.

Edit: Why yes, I would love an APEX gold mission with +100% melee! Too bad it has observers...

These might be worth adding to OP. Rank I characters get 6/6/5/3/1 and Rank X get 6/6/6/6/1.

Yeah I'll do a major update in a few days time. I'm playing through the SP at the moment then will get back to the multi after that. Or if someone else wants to write it up I'll just edit it in.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

So how do I actually do the apex strike missions in multiplayer? I've clicked the "play this mission in multiplayer" option for one of them and joined a multiplayer game with those settings and beat it, about 5 times now, and haven't gotten any mission points or boxes. It just seemed like a normal MP game reward.

I'm not 100% sure this is what's happening, but I think apex missions have better player matching than custom games, so some players are creating an apex mission and then switching to custom after players have joined. When you join the mission, make sure that "mission" has some mission name instead of saying "custom". It's also possible that it continue to match apex players into matches after then mission type has been changed. Or that it's just bugged and fails to give apex rewards sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stickman posted:

I'm not 100% sure this is what's happening, but I think apex missions have better player matching than custom games, so some players are creating an apex mission and then switching to custom after players have joined. When you join the mission, make sure that "mission" has some mission name instead of saying "custom". It's also possible that it continue to match apex players into matches after then mission type has been changed. Or that it's just bugged and fails to give apex rewards sometimes.
Ahh, this might be it -- every single one said "custom" after I clicked join game and I just assumed that if it had the same parameters as apex it was a custom.

• Locked thread