Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Thank you for the timely reminder that Rey Mysterio is the world's oldest toddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Gonna have to redo those icons for retina displays

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I greatly enjoy how positive this pre-release coverage of Ready to Rumble is in the Feb 28, 2000 Observer:

quote:

Some notes on the "Ready to Rumble" movie. The movie pushed Nitro, TNT and WCW a lot. We read a review from a fan who liked the movie a lot, but felt it would be a hard sell to non-wrestling fans. The sound effects were said to be great. The filming of a Nitro at the Grand Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles looked bad because in every camera angle, the arena looked small. The climax was filmed at the Olympic and it looked like there were only about 1,000 in attendance (in the movie the climax was a PPV event from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas). They did a spot where DDP was wrestling in a three cage set-up and took a bump through all three cages. The movie made the WCW world title mean more than anything they've ever done on their own television show as the fired and wrongfully defeated former champion (the Bret Hart role played by Oliver Platt) risked his life to get the title back. The heel promoter, the McMahon role, although the role itself was written for Eric Bischoff to play but then he was fired and a real actor got it. DDP is an undercard heel who has hated the champion for 15 years (the Shawn Michaels role). The guy playing the Hart role is called "The King." In the movie, the only people who know about the double-cross are the promoter and Page. There is even a Stu Hart role played by Martin Landau as a very old retired wrestler who tortures everyone who wants to learn old style wrestling. They also had an evil Nitro Girl in cahoots with the promoter played by Rose McGowan. Sting and Goldberg are said to come off the best in the film. Sting has five minutes in the movie but has the best scene at the end. Goldberg had the most lines and scenes but didn't play his wrestling character as most of the footage of him was either backstage or at the gym speaking in his normal voice. It was said he was green as a performer but had great presence. Sid Vicious and Perry Saturn were said to be funny as fumbling henchmen

GREAT SOUND EFFECTS!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tato posted:

I greatly enjoy how positive this pre-release coverage of Ready to Rumble is in the Feb 28, 2000 Observer:

GREAT SOUND EFFECTS!

Not gonna lie this makes the film sound awesome.

Also

quote:

Sid Vicious and Perry Saturn were said to be funny as fumbling henchmen

This would make an awesome Pain & Gain-type movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

(the Bret Hart role played by Oliver Platt)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ready to Rumble is a fun movie and Oliver Platt is so good in it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RZApublican posted:

This would make an awesome Pain & Gain-type movie.
It couldn't possibly be worse than the original

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

It couldn't possibly be worse than the original

Hey now, given who made Pain And Gain, that movie is of miraculous quality. Plus, The Rock is an unending font of charisma. Any movie he's prominently featured in can't be all bad.

EDIT: gently caress, I just remembered that tooth fairy movie!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Southland Tales is, in fact, not all bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pain and Gain is fantastic even if it isn't quite as good as the source material.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It's garbage, I watched it on the recommendation of this subforum and it's 80 minutes I'm never getting back

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pain & Gain is actually Michael Bay's worst movie by a longshot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

I think the only movie of his I've seen end-to-end is The Rock but I'll take your word for it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

dont even fink about it posted:

It's better than Transformers 3

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Who'd win in a fight, Rock from Pain and Gain or Optimus Prime from Transformers: Dark of the Moon?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Tato posted:

GREAT SOUND EFFECTS!

Don't forget Rey mysterio injured his knee on set. How many knee surgeries did he have over the span of his career?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ColeM posted:

Don't forget Rey mysterio injured his knee on set. How many knee surgeries did he have over the span of his career?
the funniest part of that is he's only in the movie for 2 minutes and the only wrestling move he performs is a top rope hurricanrana on konnan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pain & Gain is good and cool.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Endorph posted:

the funniest part of that is he's only in the movie for 2 minutes and the only wrestling move he performs is a top rope hurricanrana on konnan

Was this during the time period where doctors were telling him that just stepping off a curb could explode his knee into a million pieces?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Was this during the time period where doctors were telling him that just stepping off a curb could explode his knee into a million pieces?

That time period is from 1996-present.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

Yes, but apparently they made him do the hurricanrana onto Konnan over and over again for hours until the got the shot JUUUST RIGHT

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm watching the Nitro after Starcade 98, and Jericho just came out with CIMA. I had no idea haha

Edit: it's also weird how the announcers are playing it off like no big deal that Nash cheated to beat Goldberg

"It put a little bit of a damper on what was a good big man match"

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2017

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir for the most part here but I've recently started rewatching most, if not all, of OSWReview and they did an amazing three-parter about Ready to Rumble, the Thunder David Arquette won the title and Slamboree 2000. It's amazing to watch on so many levels. Not only do I love the OSWReview guys, but there's also some sweet background information about how much everything cost, how much money they lost and just pointing out the complete and utter idiocy that was that whole time frame in WCW history.

More recently, they've done World War 3 (in '95), Superbrawl VI and Uncensored '96 which are amazing and awesome too, but for different reasons.. like a 60 man 3 ringed battle royale that can only be described as a clusterfuck and THE YETAY!! Also Monster Trucks.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

abraxas posted:

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir for the most part here but I've recently started rewatching most, if not all, of OSWReview and they did an amazing three-parter about Ready to Rumble, the Thunder David Arquette won the title and Slamboree 2000. It's amazing to watch on so many levels. Not only do I love the OSWReview guys, but there's also some sweet background information about how much everything cost, how much money they lost and just pointing out the complete and utter idiocy that was that whole time frame in WCW history.

More recently, they've done World War 3 (in '95), Superbrawl VI and Uncensored '96 which are amazing and awesome too, but for different reasons.. like a 60 man 3 ringed battle royale that can only be described as a clusterfuck and THE YETAY!! Also Monster Trucks.

Their look at the Dungeon of Doom storyline from beginning to end was just great. Uncensored '96 to me is Peak Hogan.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I didn't realize how terrible LOD were until I started watching OSW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I'd never actually seen the Megapowers vs The World match before but the cage being rickity enough that Flair/Arn/Hogan/Savage weren't taking any bumps on it was something else.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

Their look at the Dungeon of Doom storyline from beginning to end was just great. Uncensored '96 to me is Peak Hogan.

I've been listening to the audio form of OSW Review from the very beginning and hearing them gush about how great of a babyface Hogan was in 1986-87 is really funny considering where he goes just ten years later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, ten years is a really long time in the life of a pro wrestler.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
The funniest thing about OSW's Dungeon of Doom storyline was that they expected this to be an Ed Leslie highlight, but Lex Luger stole all the shows.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

i've been watching old Nitro episodes in order starting from the beginning, and it's amazing how much better everything NOT involving Hogan is. Luger/Savage, Luger/Sting, Flair/Anderson/Pillman, DDP/Badd, the Cruiserweights, even the Giant decimating the roster is cheesy fun. Hell, I even really enjoyed a Pitbull/Kurosawa match! It probably helps that Nitro is only an hour long at this stage, but it's a really easy watch. I only get bored when Hogan on the screen. Dude just rambles incessantly about nothing, repeating himself over and over again. I like how he Dark Side'd his drat neckbrace. Clown.

Mongo really sucks at commentary but his enthusiasm makes up for it. Dude seems to really enjoy himself. I could do without Bischoff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I don't blame WCW for pushing Hulk the way they did but so much of his early WCW stuff is just horrible, especially the vague attempts at changing up his character (Dark Side Hulk). By early 1996 he's absolutely a net negative on the promotion and I honestly got the impression that they were prepared to move on from him.

And then he became the best heel of all time for like three solid years.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Did they have matches before or after those 1 hour nitros? It seems like a waste if they just did a dark main event after an hour of tv

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

well he's a massive fucker IRL so I guess that makes sense. I remember watching WCW in our house but I don't recall these old Nitros, so it's been a fun trip thus far.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Yeah I don't blame WCW for pushing Hulk the way they did but so much of his early WCW stuff is just horrible, especially the vague attempts at changing up his character (Dark Side Hulk). By early 1996 he's absolutely a net negative on the promotion and I honestly got the impression that they were prepared to move on from him.

Sullivan claims that the silly "Dark Side Hogan" stuff was a ploy to get Hogan comfortable with the idea of turning heel, since everybody but him realized that there was nowhere else for his character to go.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Sullivan claims that the silly "Dark Side Hogan" stuff was a ploy to get Hogan comfortable with the idea of turning heel, since everybody but him realized that there was nowhere else for his character to go.

I have to think the Megapowers vs. The World was to that end too. I might be misremembering but I think Kevin Sullivan has suggested he booked that to basically leave babyface Hogan with nowhere left to go, so he'd listen to the possibility of turning heel. Which was really a great move, at least to me - I never bought ultra-babyface Hulk Hogan because he always seemed like a natural heel to me, and Hollywood Hogan was great except for the usual Hogan fuckery where he never really put anyone over ever.

I guess I'm just repeating what you said about Sullivan, but I've heard that too. Hogan had creative control so WCW's hands were pretty tied.

I do have to say, though, that the OSW Review really has given me a new appreciation for Luger's second WCW run.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jason Sextro posted:

I have to think the Megapowers vs. The World was to that end too. I might be misremembering but I think Kevin Sullivan has suggested he booked that to basically leave babyface Hogan with nowhere left to go, so he'd listen to the possibility of turning heel. Which was really a great move, at least to me - I never bought ultra-babyface Hulk Hogan because he always seemed like a natural heel to me, and Hollywood Hogan was great except for the usual Hogan fuckery where he never really put anyone over ever.

I guess I'm just repeating what you said about Sullivan, but I've heard that too. Hogan had creative control so WCW's hands were pretty tied.

I do have to say, though, that the OSW Review really has given me a new appreciation for Luger's second WCW run.

Hogan's plans after that were main event matches against Nash, Hall and Yokozuna (the nWo not being conceived yet) so if that was his plan he didn't plan ahead well. If Sullivan was trying to do anything it would be hard to tell as Hogan wanted to go harder on putting himself over, he wanted Pillman included in the match.

The Uncensored thing was Bischoff thought boffo gimmicks were the key to drawing big money on PPV and it kind of worked.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
these celebrities have no loving clue how to where the NWO shirt. they need to go to a trump rally all pro trump then in middle of a speech take off their shirt to show the NWO shirt then spray paint everything in site. that why the DNC is not over brother!

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 25, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean I'm just waiting for the Secret Service to spring a mass beatdown on Trump and leave him lying prone on the Oval Office floor with the nWo spray painted on his back cause they're just 2 sweet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean I'm just waiting for the Secret Service to spring a mass beatdown on Trump and leave him lying prone on the Oval Office floor with the nWo spray painted on his back cause they're just 2 sweet.

That figuratively happened today, except it was Republicans and they sprayed FC on his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The American Dream posted:

Did they have matches before or after those 1 hour nitros? It seems like a waste if they just did a dark main event after an hour of tv

Usually 2-4 dark matches and sometimes they'd tape the following week's Nitro after that night's live broadcast was over