Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

True, a television show about a robot boy named Mega Man battling the evil forces of Dr. Wily isn't at all like Mega Man. Certainly not someone transforming into Mega Man except for all the games where someone transforms into Mega Man, nor the actual stated backstory of Mega Man has a regular robot boy repurposed into a combat robot or where an iconic visual of the character isn't standing with his helmet off until he dons it to dramatically go fight evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a difference between a normal robot asking for modifications so he can fight, and a kid just randomly turning into megaman

i mean i agree some people are being dumb about this but you're also being kind of willfully obtuse

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Like, the Ruby-Spears MM cartoon was actively terrible in its portrayal of literally every character from Mega Man at the time, but 90s nostalgia makes it good, I guess? It was a product of its time, and I think we all enjoyed it then, but it hasn't aged well.

As a child I couldn't enjoy the show, and I consumed some blatant poo poo. Just never appealed. The new show looks better in that regard, hope it does well.

Does anyone else think we're getting closer to a release of MMX: Corrupted? They've been streaming more often on Youtube...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

there's a difference between a normal robot asking for modifications so he can fight, and a kid just randomly turning into megaman

i mean i agree some people are being dumb about this but you're also being kind of willfully obtuse

From how it was described the plot is literally that the protagonist is a robot kid who turns into Mega Man for his fighting form. It isn't at all "oh he's just randomly Mega Man for no reason" and that seems like a pretty willfully obtuse statement on your own.

Like even at the absolute worst do you genuinely think the plot of this show is "a kid randomly turns into Mega Man for no reason?" Does that seem remotely plausible and not "A kid turns into Mega Man for a reason that is explained in the plot" like in Star Force or ZX?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean ive seen adaptations of kids' stuff that's just been 'the kid turns into the protagonist of the actual thing for no reason,' yeah

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Or, um, Marvel: Disc Wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean ive seen adaptations of kids' stuff that's just been 'the kid turns into the protagonist of the actual thing for no reason,' yeah

Like what? I can think of some genuinely batshit licensed tie-ins but not any that are "and a guy turns into Batman for no reason with no connection or plot explanation or any justification at all." I mean I guess like Toei Spider-Man has no reason to be Spider-Man but is also from several decades ago.

Caphi posted:

Or, um, Marvel: Disc Wars.

Marvel Disc Wars is stupid but has an actual in-story reason for what it does? It isn't "for no reason at all" and they have a bizarre backstory involving capturing supervillains to explain why the tech even exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

transformers kiss players, op :twisted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

transformers kiss players, op :twisted:

... I was not aware anyone in Transformers Kiss Players turned into a Transformer but also have absolutely no interest in finding out more so I will assume you are right and concede the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean to be fair it also isn't aimed at kids

that said, iunno, the new megaman cartoon just looks kinda bad artstyle-wise and people can have some misgivings about the direction of the franchise from there. if it does well then there'll be games based on it and even if the games aren't terrible it'll use the same artstyle (which is bad in a lot of people's eyes) and if it does poorly capcom'll probably just shelf mega for a bit again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean to be fair it also isn't aimed at kids

that said, iunno, the new megaman cartoon just looks kinda bad artstyle-wise and people can have some misgivings about the direction of the franchise from there. if it does well then there'll be games based on it and even if the games aren't terrible it'll use the same artstyle (which is bad in a lot of people's eyes) and if it does poorly capcom'll probably just shelf mega for a bit again.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being unhappy with the new cartoon. It's the "it's not MEGA MAN and they HATE THE FANS" stuff I find dumb. It's entirely possible for something to be both accurate to the concept of Mega Man and not very good.

I think it would also make more sense to be worried if Mega Man wasn't an effectively dead franchise that had been languishing in obscurity for ages and the last time it was meaningfully popular was when it was doing something wildly different from the classic Mega Man. The fear this will 'for real kill Mega Man" would involve Mega Man being a lot more alive a franchise than it is. The last 'main' Mega Man game was... what, 2010?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean it does have some differences from the source material that people can find detract from what they find appealing about the franchise, even just design-wise. Just aesthetics are a large part of what defines a franchise. Using your castlevania example, Simon Belmont in the Captain N cartoon sucked just because he looked stupid in a way that didn't fit the franchise's appeal at all.

the 'hate the fans' stuff is dumb tho, agreed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Regardless of actual quality, it's not the height of creativity to make Megaman/Streets of Fire fan fiction.

Says you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

megaman looks like he's a static object being flown around the screen like in a newgrounds flash and somehow looks incredibly disinterested in having just kicked fire man in the face

I wish I could find the gif i saw of one of the Avengers cartoons, which he worked on before Mega Man, it was literally this except with Marvel characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MM fans have had a weird persecution complex for a while. Nobody here's gone this far, but in the comments for any given piece of rando MM merch you see people going on about how it's yet another slight against them personally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people thinking bad box art megaman was put in street fighter x tekken as a personal gently caress you to people who wanted legends 3, and not as a wacky joke

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Endorph posted:

people thinking bad box art megaman was put in street fighter x tekken as a personal gently caress you to people who wanted legends 3, and not as a wacky joke

the gently caress you was that the game he was in was sfxt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

http://streetfighterxtekken.wikia.com/wiki/Bad_Box_Art_Mega_Man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh wait i misunderstood that post wildly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's also worth noting with BBAMM that the joke began with Mega Man Universe, it wasn't a random out-of-nowhere thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This cartoon will suck but I fully expect it'll be better than the upcoming Castlevania Netflix series.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Found a mirror link for the cartoon promo if anyone feels like being depressed tonight. Better hurry cus I'm sure someone will take this down too:

https://www.gamereactor.no/grtv/?id=307543

I will say...the CG actually looks pretty good. But yeah, this is clearly for the K-Grade 5 crowd. It seems to follow all the same annoying tropes all the non stellar cartoon shows of the major networks follow. (stellar as in reaching to adult demographs they're so good, such as Steven Universe, Star VS The Forces of Evil, Regular Show, or Gravity Falls. Adventure Time kiiiiiiiinda) It's playing it super safe and being every cartoon pretty much exclusively for kids since 2007. So I mean, whatever. I can just ignore it and hope (some kids somewhere) enjoy it. Who knows, good sales of the show could mean other MegaMan projects being funded for the older fans who have been waiting a decade for something.

Though I do hope Mega Mini gets stepped on. Even as a hyperactive 8 year old at the height of my MegaMan obsession I would have hated that thing.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 25, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That CG TMNT show that's running right now is easily the best show that franchise has ever had.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This cartoon will suck but I fully expect it'll be better than the upcoming Castlevania Netflix series.

yeah the last thing castlevania needs is a guy talking about how dark and edgy it'll be. that just sounds like an adaptation of lords of shadow or something. the actually good castlevania games are cheesy as gently caress and use gothic/horror stuff for the aesthetic.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

"Meganize me, Cap'n!"

(rolls in on ship full of new ugly licensed merch)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's also worth noting with BBAMM that the joke began with Mega Man Universe, it wasn't a random out-of-nowhere thing.

It was a really funny joke right up until like 3 games got cancelled at once and the franchise got put on ice.

The biggest joke is that afaik BBAMM still can break the game by levitating upward off the screen.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

MM fans have had a weird persecution complex for a while. Nobody here's gone this far, but in the comments for any given piece of rando MM merch you see people going on about how it's yet another slight against them personally.

Some of them seem to take dislike for a new thing in the franchise as a personal slight.

I certainly don't think it's an INSULT to me personally that this cartoon exists. It simply is extremely not my poo poo, and on top of that I think the art is lacking. I'm sure a kid somewhere or some overly defensive fan starved for something, anything Mega Man will enjoy it. I'll just keep playing the Mega Man games I like when the fancy strikes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Takoluka posted:

Like, the Ruby-Spears MM cartoon was actively terrible in its portrayal of literally every character from Mega Man at the time, but 90s nostalgia makes it good, I guess? It was a product of its time, and I think we all enjoyed it then, but it hasn't aged well.

This show looks like it'll be a product of this era as well, which actually has some really good cartoons. The show needs to air before people actively hate on it, because really, what do people want from a Mega Man cartoon? Just an animated version of the Archie comics? A Megamix/Gigamix adaptation? The original Ruby-Spears show in HD? Do they even know what they want?

Brazilian Comic adaptation or bust

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

ZX Advent also has the box art as a data chip, describing him as a "colorful coal miner".

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
In an age of two companies not giving a gently caress about their IP? Sorry, no, I'm doubling down on the Castlevania series on Netflix, because Adi Shankar and Warren Ellis are working on it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Okay I need you guy to explain something to me.

I first heard of Mega Man as a concept, like, around 2008. I was late to the internet - I watched Screw Attack.com videos - does anyone even REMEMBER that site? I frequented that, and magicthegathering.com and poo poo, and on ScrewAttack I heard the first time of Mega Man as a concept. Germans didn't really HAVE the NES, except for some really weird nerd dudes.

I decided to check that out, emulators, and realized something - I liked it because it was so simple. To this day I respect Mega Man because it was for a long time THE platformer that didn't have momentum. No sliding after jumps, no charge time required - you jumped, that's what you got. I liked that. I grew up on Yoshi's Island, and I really liked the flutter jump in that - no momentum, just...hold the jump button.

This is why I like Mega Man.

What the gently caress are you arguing about the cartoon? I don't get it. This is the jump and shoot series. How can you have, like, an attachment to characters that are less than one dimensional?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Simply Simon posted:

I first heard of Mega Man as a concept, like, around 2008. I was late to the internet - I watched Screw Attack.com videos - does anyone even REMEMBER that site? I frequented that, and magicthegathering.com and poo poo, and on ScrewAttack I heard the first time of Mega Man as a concept. Germans didn't really HAVE the NES, except for some really weird nerd dudes.

I decided to check that out, emulators, and realized something - I liked it because it was so simple. To this day I respect Mega Man because it was for a long time THE platformer that didn't have momentum. No sliding after jumps, no charge time required - you jumped, that's what you got. I liked that. I grew up on Yoshi's Island, and I really liked the flutter jump in that - no momentum, just...hold the jump button.

What the gently caress are you arguing about the cartoon? I don't get it. This is the jump and shoot series. How can you have, like, an attachment to characters that are less than one dimensional?

How do you like things for a different reason than me???!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a) cause we played the games as kids and got attached to the characters in a purely iconographic sense
b) because we're fond of the sometimes decently written spinoff material

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Simple characters can be appealing even if they're simple. A recent example of this is Shovel Knight which is remarkably touching despite being very straightforward. I don't think Mega Man is quite up to that level on his own but add in the nostalgia of playing it as a kid and the genuinely fun gameplay and it's easy to see why people get attached.

Hell, look at Mario or Link or Samus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I first experienced Mega Man in around 1993. My parents brought III DOS for me. They thought it was a main series game. So did I- I spent hours grappling with near-invisible laser turrets (I thought they were needle-shooters), water physics, pressing J to jump, and a set of master weapons that weren't worth using. I was accustomed to having a good run be ruined by the 15th enemy in a stage because I hadn't memorized how its movement synched to the rest of the stage. I became used to beating everything without letting myself get hit, with the buster.

I tried other games that were more forgiving, and I learned about the main series, and I realized something- I liked it because it was so difficult. To this day I respect Mega Man because it's possible to give yourself restrictions that require agonizingly perfect memorization and dedication to the game, and it's built around those restrictions. For a long time, that paradigm controlled how I experienced other games. was for a long time THE platformer that let you feel like you'd mastered it. It and my copy of Sonic 2 for Game Gear were ruthless. I liked that. I grew up on King's Quest, and I really liked the design in that - missed an option twelve days ago? Better restart the game!

What the gently caress are you arguing about the cartoon? I don't get it. This is the agonizing pain game. How can you have, like, an attachment to characters that aren't shooting you from offscreen?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Simply Simon posted:

I first heard of Mega Man as a concept, like, around 2008.

I first heard of Mega Man back in 1988, so does that mean I have seniority and can tell you without repercussions that you are enjoying mega man wrong, or can we agree that you had a nice meltdown

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

I first heard of Mega Man back in 1988, so does that mean I have seniority and can tell you without repercussions that you are enjoying mega man wrong, or can we agree that you had a nice meltdown

1990. And didn't play my first MegaMan game till 1994 with X1. I win? (I'm old)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I first experienced Mega Man in around 1993. My parents brought III DOS for me. They thought it was a main series game. So did I- I spent hours grappling with near-invisible laser turrets (I thought they were needle-shooters), water physics, pressing J to jump, and a set of master weapons that weren't worth using. I was accustomed to having a good run be ruined by the 15th enemy in a stage because I hadn't memorized how its movement synched to the rest of the stage. I became used to beating everything without letting myself get hit, with the buster.

I tried other games that were more forgiving, and I learned about the main series, and I realized something- I liked it because it was so difficult. To this day I respect Mega Man because it's possible to give yourself restrictions that require agonizingly perfect memorization and dedication to the game, and it's built around those restrictions. For a long time, that paradigm controlled how I experienced other games. was for a long time THE platformer that let you feel like you'd mastered it. It and my copy of Sonic 2 for Game Gear were ruthless. I liked that. I grew up on King's Quest, and I really liked the design in that - missed an option twelve days ago? Better restart the game!

What the gently caress are you arguing about the cartoon? I don't get it. This is the agonizing pain game. How can you have, like, an attachment to characters that aren't shooting you from offscreen?

Mega Man isn't really that hard though, outside of bad/unfair bosses and levels (non-rainbow Devils)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Last Celebration posted:

Mega Man isn't really that hard though, outside of bad/unfair bosses and levels (non-rainbow Devils)

read again he's talking about the DOS game as his defining game.

honestly, I don't mind the cartoon looks bad, it's bizarre enough that a dead franchise is getting a cartoon in the first place that there's no room for disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

LemonLimeTime posted:

1990. And didn't play my first MegaMan game till 1994 with X1. I win? (I'm old)

:awesome: I picked up Megaman 1 at Toys 'R Us when they had those paper slips you brought to the register and the security booth. It was 1987 or 1988 I guess. :awesome:

So whose uncle worked for Capcom Japan and had the Rockman 1 cart in 1986? Now's your time to shine and take this ePeen trophy home.