Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

You might be the kind of person who would really enjoy a book called The Last Ringbearer. It's presented as a semi-accurate historical adventure fiction from a world where the Lord of the Rings was an almost-totally-inaccurate Gondorian epic poem in the vein of the Song of Roland: bloodthirsty, regressive, lionizing their ancestor's superhuman accomplishments while dehumanizing cultural enemies who were in various ways more sophisticated than them, etc. So the beginning of the book is all "Of course nowadays we all know that the Orcuen people have their own vibrant culture and intellectual traditions and were not really twisted mutants made by Satan in the dawn times of the earth."

(though ironically the book manages to work in its own streaks of the r-word :sigh:)

As I understand it, the author had an English translation made, gave up on getting it printed and sold against the wishes of the Tolkien Estate, and just released it online.
Oh, that reminds me that I've had this book on my hard drive since the translation came out but still haven't read it, I should get on that. Anyway it's available here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

You might be the kind of person who would really enjoy a book called The Last Ringbearer. It's presented as a semi-accurate historical adventure fiction from a world where the Lord of the Rings was an almost-totally-inaccurate Gondorian epic poem in the vein of the Song of Roland: bloodthirsty, regressive, lionizing their ancestor's superhuman accomplishments while dehumanizing cultural enemies who were in various ways more sophisticated than them, etc. So the beginning of the book is all "Of course nowadays we all know that the Orcuen people have their own vibrant culture and intellectual traditions and were not really twisted mutants made by Satan in the dawn times of the earth."

(though ironically the book manages to work in its own streaks of the r-word :sigh:)

As I understand it, the author had an English translation made, gave up on getting it printed and sold against the wishes of the Tolkien Estate, and just released it online.

While I laughed at the "Famous philosophers act like LOTR is the real world" comic, I can't help but think a full-blown book of that would be loving dreadful. Never the less, here it is:

http://ymarkov.livejournal.com/280578.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Transformers vs GI Joe: The Comic Book Adaptation of the Movie Adaptation of the Comic Book.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Hawkins posted:

You might be the kind of person who would really enjoy a book called The Last Ringbearer.
Learn to speak Russian and read Zwirmarilion instead :)

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles...on-dvd-part-one

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This is pretty good, with multiple genuine laughs. Very un-McSweeney's-esque. :tipshat:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's one of the all-time greats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Okay, that's really great. Invincible was awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not done yet?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

It's not done yet?

I haven't been reading actual comics for the last couple of years (just the trades of Doctor Strange and Squirrel Girl). I feel so disconnected from everything. I guess I used the past tense as in "back when I used to read Invincible".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's supposed to wrap up with #144, it's on #132.

I read the whole thing all the way up to what was available at Christmas time, I liked it a lot. Some of the stuff he does doesn't work but he takes a lot of risks and isn't afraid to completely gently caress up the world he's built. I'll probably read it again whenever the whole thing is done (you know in five years or so)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

zoux posted:

Some of the stuff he does doesn't work but he takes a lot of risks and isn't afraid to completely gently caress up the world he's built.

This reminded me of something, so I checked, and yeah, sure enough, Savage Dragon is still going.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Transformers vs GI Joe: The Comic Book Adaptation of the Movie Adaptation of the Comic Book.

"People were shocked by the announcement that this would be the first movie where Optimus Prime would be played by an actor in an Optimus Prime costume[...] It doesn't hurt that the man in the "rubber suit" is Shakespearean actor O. Ryan Paxton..."

Which is funny, as Orion Pax is who Optimus Prime was before he became a Prime.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Leia no

Shadows of the Empire #4

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Roth posted:

Leia no

Shadows of the Empire #4

Well, clearly Loki's Mask gives him some absolutely magnetic charisma.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Didn't Xizor basically have the same date rape powers as Starfox? (Thanos' brother who is inexplicably considered a hero, not Fox McCloud)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Actually
...he has natural roofie body odor.

....I am not loving joking

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actually
...he has natural roofie body odor.

....I am not loving joking

He has super-pheromones, and I do recall a chapter from Shadows of the Empire where he attempts to date-rape Leia, yes. He also reminisces on his many such conquests and the terrible things he does to women once he's used them up.

That book also has Darth Vader and Xizor having a scholarly debate about Imperial politics in front of the Emperor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That's not even going into the sexbot or the ab master chair

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He acts like such a fuckboy trying to get Leia to take off her clothes in issue 5 of the comic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's not even going into the sexbot or the ab master chair

I don't remember the chair part but that may have flown over my head as a teenager.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

I don't remember the chair part but that may have flown over my head as a teenager.

Xizor has this chair that gives him sculpted abs just by sitting in it so he doesn't waste time exercising.

Yeah.....

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Xizor has this chair that gives him sculpted abs just by sitting in it so he doesn't waste time exercising.

Yeah.....

Well at least he's the one-off villain. Today he would be the protagonist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Well at least he's the one-off villain. Today he would be the protagonist.

Today he'd be a mod.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

He has super-pheromones, and I do recall a chapter from Shadows of the Empire where he attempts to date-rape Leia, yes. He also reminisces on his many such conquests and the terrible things he does to women once he's used them up.

That book also has Darth Vader and Xizor having a scholarly debate about Imperial politics in front of the Emperor.

Every stupid thing about that book gets that much funnier when you remember the goal of the project was to simulate a movie release without an accompanying movie. Consequently, they thought everything in it was worthy of being deemed on-par with the quality of the original trilogy.

Even as someone without a lot of love for Return of the Jedi that's... something.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/flies to Anthrocon that night

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please tell me Clark Kent was ALSO a lion man, only wearing glasses and Lois still didn't put 2 and 2 together.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Remarkably, that's only the other story with Superman being given a monster head by Circe's magic. In the other Circe was an ancient astronaut whose descendant wants to marry Superman, in the other she was Saturn Woman in disguise who merely pretends to want to marry Superman. How this fits in with Circe also being a real ancient witch who turned a centaur into Comet the Super-Horse is unclear.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 25, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Remarkably, that's only the other story with Superman being given a monster head by Circe's magic. In the other Circe was an ancient astronaut whose descendant wants to marry Superman, in the other she was Saturn Woman in disguise who merely pretends to want to marry Superman. How this fits in with Circe also being a real ancient witch who turned a centaur into Comet the Super-Horse is unclear.
Circe is obviously a legacy identity, duh.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

On the plus side he does get kicked in the nuts for his trouble.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

In the other Circe was an ancient astronaut whose descendant wants to marry Superman, in the other she was Saturn Woman in disguise who merely pretends to want to marry Superman.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Whoa there pal, you're jumping the gun there. You're not married yet. Save all the hate talk for the honeymoon.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I love that Supergirl felt it necessary to still wear her costume, and just throw a bridal veil on to make it wedding-y.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Selachian posted:

She's a catgirl superhero who walks around in a bikini all the time. It's like the Fetish Singularity.

Close but

THIS is the true Fetish Singularity.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's the horse Supergirl dates, right?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/flies to Anthrocon that night

Superman also decided that the general public shouldn't see that he's now a lion, so he travels by burrowing underground.

Jerusalem posted:

Please tell me Clark Kent was ALSO a lion man, only wearing glasses and Lois still didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Lois can't even tell that there's anything wrong when she looks at the back of his head

Super Dan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 26, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Super Dan posted:

Superman also decided that the general public shouldn't see that he's now a lion, so he travels by burrowing underground.

Underlion, underlion, speed of lightning roar of thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Super Dan posted:

Lois can't even tell that there's anything wrong when she looks at the back of his head

I know​ we give Lois a lot of poo poo for being as observant as a goldfish, but good christ how do you miss a loving mane.