Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It seems kinda dumb to write off fascism. It's only been tried a few times in human history. Idk maybe I am wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

What we really need is a strongman made psychic souls and his mutant kids. That'll make it stick.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are there any mods that modify the Angrund unit roster? Dunno why, just kinda feel like they should play differently from standard Dwarfs (that upkeep penalty is kind of a drag so maybe a restricted roster would help), maybe until they retake Karak The One That They Lost or until they unite with the Dwarfs.

Not sure about mods but they certainly played differently until that point for me, in that my army was mostly ghosts and Rangers until I took Karak Eight Peaks on turn 40 or so.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

John Charity Spring posted:

Not sure about mods but they certainly played differently until that point for me, in that my army was mostly ghosts and Rangers until I took Karak Eight Peaks on turn 40 or so.

Yeah I actually struggled with them because I didn't understand what the gently caress I was meant to do plus ghosts. Kick the poo poo out of some goblins was the answer.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

G-g-g-g-ghost pals punting goblins forever.

Also some line dwarfs just sitting back going :catstare:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Grognards still get mad about this passage. "YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE THE SEXISM BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE!!! DO YOU NEED A SAFE SPACE, LIBS?!?!?"

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Surely roleplaying an all female Bretonian army trying to smash the patricarchy would be something people like that would like?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Warhammer being all equal fair and non-ridiculous stereotype-y doesn't work because the fans don't give a poo poo about that, the same way you won't get the metal community to stop calling people faggots because they don't care.

Good luck trying though

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nanomashoes posted:

Grognards still get mad about this passage. "YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE THE SEXISM BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE!!! DO YOU NEED A SAFE SPACE, LIBS?!?!?"

As my wife says, "Next time you're subject to sexism, give me a call."

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

dogstile posted:

Warhammer being all equal fair and non-ridiculous stereotype-y doesn't work because the fans don't give a poo poo about that, the same way you won't get the metal community to stop calling people faggots because they don't care.

Good luck trying though

A Quality Post about equality from the man with the Wehrmacht avatar. :tipshat:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LuiCypher posted:

As my wife says, "Next time you're subject to sexism, give me a call."

Or as another saying goes: the comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
And that's why the Old Ones created their superior race of servants from frogs and lizards.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

As much as I have enjoyed my 200+ hours in Warhammer, there are moments were the campaign feels stripped down, mechanically speaking. The lack of granularity with diplomacy, the AI with seemingly no sense of self-preservation or long term goals beyond being a punching bag, the whack-a-mole armies that sniff out weak settlements/hordes from across the map, and harder difficulties being largely glorified time trials and a game of build order memory. Everyone is excited for new content and new content owns, but I find myself quitting campaigns way sooner out of boredom than from lack of content.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vlex posted:

A Quality Post about equality from the man with the Wehrmacht avatar. :tipshat:

You seem to be under the impression that i bought it, lol

E: and it doesn't change the fact that if you drastically change warhammer the nerds who buy the sets no longer will because they'll feel like feminism is invading their hobby

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 25, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Didn't The Old Ones also create the Amazons, and left Plasma Pistols and lasguns behind for them to use?

One Ones creates dinosaurs. Chaos destroys One Ones. Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Or as another saying goes: the comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.

The thing is, by that logic, the hatred MRA's get justifies MRA's. I mean, if people getting mad about feminism justifies feminism, how does getting mad about Men's rights not justify Men's rights?

I mean, if "there are people who hate feminism, and that proves feminism is needed" is a valid argument, why isn't "People hate the very concept of Men's rights, and that proves Men's rights is needed"?

I'm not saying I approve of MRA's or disapprove of feminism, just pointing out what (to me at least) looks like a double standard. I'm just saying the argument "people get mad about feminism, therefore proving feminism is needed" isn't actually a good argument, because that would mean "people get mad about men's rights, therefore proving men's rights is needed" would be a good argument.

Angry Lobster posted:

And that's why the Old Ones created their superior race of servants from frogs and lizards.

On this, we can agree.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sasgrillo posted:

As much as I have enjoyed my 200+ hours in Warhammer, there are moments were the campaign feels stripped down, mechanically speaking. The lack of granularity with diplomacy, the AI with seemingly no sense of self-preservation or long term goals beyond being a punching bag, the whack-a-mole armies that sniff out weak settlements/hordes from across the map, and harder difficulties being largely glorified time trials and a game of build order memory. Everyone is excited for new content and new content owns, but I find myself quitting campaigns way sooner out of boredom than from lack of content.

I've been using Minos' Better AI mod (with Vanilla cheats) which makes the AI behave in a much more player-like manner, plus Mogar's Militias which adds units based on what buildings a settlement has to mix up the garrison forces and make settlements harder to take both for the player and AI. It has given a breath of fresh air and made the campaign considerably more challenging for a longer time. Doesn't fix your valid complaints, but might help!

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 25, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Stephen9001 posted:

The thing is, by that logic, the hatred MRA's get justifies MRA's. I mean, if people getting mad about feminism justifies feminism, how does getting mad about Men's rights not justify Men's rights?

I mean, if "there are people who hate feminism, and that proves feminism is needed" is a valid argument, why isn't "People hate the very concept of Men's rights, and that proves Men's rights is needed"?

I'm not saying I approve of MRA's or disapprove of feminism, just pointing out what (to me at least) looks like a double standard. I'm just saying the argument "people get mad about feminism, therefore proving feminism is needed" isn't actually a good argument, because that would mean "people get mad about men's rights, therefore proving men's rights is needed" would be a good argument.

On this, we can agree.

There are people who hate *women*, and they currently run the United States, and that's why feminism is needed.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Was this part of your plan, Nanomashoes?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

It's not that people get mad at feminism it's that they demonstrate the very misogyny that feminist videos are talking about in those angry responses.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

dogstile posted:

Good luck trying though
Warhammer should have ridiculous stereotypes just not hurtful ones, perferably by the guys who come from the culture in question. For instance if Warhammer Cathay does come to Total War and it's done in the vein of the Great Wall or we get a Nippon by some of the guys who did Samurai Warriors or at least aping their style; I'd have no problems with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's not that people get mad at feminism it's that they demonstrate the very misogyny that feminist videos are talking about in those angry responses.

That's his point isn't it?

Warhammer should have ridiculous stereotypes just not hurtful ones, perferably by the guys who come from the culture in question. For instance if Warhammer Cathay does come to Total War and it's done in the vein of the Great Wall or we get a Nippon by some of the guys who did Samurai Warriors or at least aping their style; I'd have no problems with it.

Yeah i don't disagree with that. Wouldn't bother me either

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
trump is a scion of slannesh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i like the ogres they are cool

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hungry boys with moobs seeking seasonal employment

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Actually it's about ethics in Games posting

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ugh

the only undead memes i respect are the manlet von carstein ones

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My opinion of women: they are ok.

My opinion of Total Warhammer: it is good.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

That may be the case, but my point is that if that alone constitutes an argument, than surely that would mean the utter hatred MRA's get, and the fact that people like us mock them relentlessly, would be able to be used as an argument by the MRA's as to why Men's rights is a good thing? I mean, if "articles about why feminism is a good thing get people mad and that proves feminism is a good thing" is a valid argument, why would what is essentially it's mirror "articles about men's rights get people mad and that proves men's right's is a good thing" not be? I'm not saying this because I don't like feminism, I'm saying this because I don't like MRA's and I see no reason why they couldn't mirror and co-opt the "people get mad at us thus proving the rightness of our cause" argument.

Basically, I think the saying "the comments on articles about feminism prove why feminism is needed" should be disbanded on the basis that it gives ammunition to MRA's because what's to stop them from saying "the comments on articles about men's rights prove why men's rights is needed"? Because let me tell you, the comments on articles I've seen in defence of MRA's are just as toxic as some of the ones about feminism, just in the other direction, but that doesn't actually change the fact that the concept of "Men right's" is something most of us agree is bullshit. But perhaps this is all just my autistic brain speaking.

Anyway, this isn't exactly the most fun of derails, so I'll shut up now.

Babe Magnet posted:

i like the ogres they are cool

As do I. Personally, assuming we get them eventually, I can't wait to see how ogres using cannon's as rifles end up performing in battle. I imagine they would have "decent melee combatant" and there's something about the idea of a mobile cannon crew that doubles as a good infantry force that seems amazing to me.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 25, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jesus Christ, the 31st can't come fast enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Jesus Christ, the 31st can't come fast enough.

It can't! I am specially looking forward for a confirmation about whether naval combat made it or not!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Basically the trick is to make your horrible expies culturally appropriate horrible expies

I will guarantee you there's a number of dumb historical injokes about qin shihuangdi, the Kurgan Emperor, and insert-recent-chinese-politician-here that you could build a warhammer character around. Nobody needs to get them, they'll still seem all mysteriously foreign, everyone wins.

There's that old writing saying: murder your darlings. Two near-earth fantasy settings have done so perfectly. They are Warhammer, where England is a savage backwater where nothing of importance ever happens, and Shadowrun, which got around all the developers being based in Chicago by nuking Chicago.

Nope, real sorry, all those dumb injokes based around your life went up in the Cermak Blast, it happened literally underneath our offices, our fictional counterparts all died in nuclear fire, drat shame.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Psst. Hey buddy, that's a nice warhams thread you got there. It would be a real shame if someone started posting about....

:females:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I want to run an entire army of ogres with cannons, those dudes are going to be tough to balance

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I want to run an entire army of ogres with cannons, those dudes are going to be tough to balance

Indeed, just like an army of steam tanks or an army of Cygors end up being a little overpowered.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

It can't! I am specially looking forward for a confirmation about whether naval combat made it or not!

Please BASED CA, LET THE WAVES OF MY VICTORIES COME TRUE

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Babe Magnet posted:

I can only imagine that an ogre with a "handheld" cannon will fire one horribly inaccurate shot, scratch his head about what to do next, then simply throw the whole cannon towards the nearest enemy in frustration before wading into melee.

Basically Blasting Charge Miners done ogre style.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

In an attempt to pull this nose-diving 747 up, what does everyone do to counter air cav (i.e Empire/Brettonia)? Dwarfs/Empire I guess I would just bring their ranged infantry (or other air cav for Emps), but if I'm using beastmen/Chaos/VC what are the kind of units I need to bring? I'm guessing maybe Centaurs for beasties and the various knights for VC/Chaos?

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ze Pollack posted:

Basically the trick is to make your horrible expies culturally appropriate horrible expies

I will guarantee you there's a number of dumb historical injokes about qin shihuangdi, the Kurgan Emperor, and insert-recent-chinese-politician-here that you could build a warhammer character around. Nobody needs to get them, they'll still seem all mysteriously foreign, everyone wins.

There's that old writing saying: murder your darlings. Two near-earth fantasy settings have done so perfectly. They are Warhammer, where England is a savage backwater where nothing of importance ever happens, and Shadowrun, which got around all the developers being based in Chicago by nuking Chicago.

Nope, real sorry, all those dumb injokes based around your life went up in the Cermak Blast, it happened literally underneath our offices, our fictional counterparts all died in nuclear fire, drat shame.

Ultimately this is it, you're allowed to dunk on yourself, not on others. That's why british devs get chuckles when they make not-Britain a savage backwater, but weird looks when they make not-Africa a savage backwater, and so on. Say Nippon somehow got added, ridiculous samurai crap from japanese people is not only acceptable but way more interesting, and that's why stuff like Samurai Champloo and Kurosawa films are cool but weeaboos aren't. Make Nippon with input from japanese people laughing at themselves. CA has actually done pretty well on that note, I loved that Shogun 2 had actual japanese people as VAs and not dumb accents like the danish slavs in Medieval 2.

I don't want the total warham thread to become DnD but the cultural background that lead to this stupid-yet-beloved fantasy setting is legit interesting to me :)

BadOptics posted:

In an attempt to pull this nose-diving 747 up, what does everyone do to counter air cav (i.e Empire/Brettonia)? Dwarfs/Empire I guess I would just bring their ranged infantry (or other air cav for Emps), but if I'm using beastmen/Chaos/VC what are the kind of units I need to bring? I'm guessing maybe Centaurs for beasties and the various knights for VC/Chaos?

Campaign or multiplayer? Well, in either case as Chaos I find the easiest thing to do is just tear up their air force with my own flying goon squad of a lord, a manticore sorceror, and then some more manticores. I haven't played them since the royal and hippogryph knights got added though so those guys might change things up.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

BadOptics posted:

I find that countering flying cav is basically an army positioning thing rather than a unit thing. If you don't leave units on the flank where fliers can get local superiority, it neuters their effectiveness heavily. One bad engagement where the fliers get stuck in longer than they want can cripple them easily. VC in particular can probably just spawn some zombies on the exit path to prevent them from taking flight again.

King Louen is a total shitwrecker though.

• Locked thread