Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Efexeye posted:

that exploit sounds sweet but once i do that for a week and have enough to buy one of everything, is there any game left?

Plenty! In fact, I found tons more stuff to do once I actually got a cutter, because my combat ships were agile and fragile ships (DBS & Clipper).

Now in a cutter I could do armed trade, push my weight around a RES zone, train a pokemon pilot, contribute greatly to combat zones, and so on.

I mean, if your goal is merely to have every ship then yeah I guess you could stop there, but knowing what to do with them, for example how to better benefit the faction you're a part of, is what opened the game up for me.

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I think I know what you mean. I've spent the last few months obsessively collecting credits to buy the ships that were supposed to be the best ones. Now that I have a selection of them and more credits than I currently need to spend I can join some factions (maybe the Frogs) and chill a bit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Not to oversell the frogs, but...

When I first started thinking about getting this game, I wanted something like Freelancer: A game that would keep sending me here and there--any old place, really--to do missions, kill dudes, get money, upgrade and outfit things. I could spend a very long time doing that.

Unfortunately, this game sucked much more than I had hoped. So many things were obtuse and dumb, so many broken things. As I had feared, most of this game was trying to figure out a workaround for problems that didn't make sense and weren't fixed. Up until the frogs, I was having a more miserable time than fun one.

While I could purely sandbox on my own, at least being part of an active and smart faction kept me engaged, because I kept learning and experiencing things, but not by accident or frustrating trial-and-error. I generally have an easy time getting concerns or questions responded to, and the tasks given vary pretty often at least on a weekly basis. Because the current mission system is such poo poo, being part of a faction is pretty much exactly what I could've hoped for: Making money going here and there, getting poo poo done, and having a blast. On top of that, not only is there a sense of purpose but if I decided to gently caress off to do irrelevant space-game poo poo for 2 weeks no one would care (because I'm expendable :unsmith:).

The point is that the biggest workaround for my problem of 'what do I do in this game' was fixed when I joined The Diamond Frogs. If you find yourself in the same boat, [url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251give them a try[/url]. :getin:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Efexeye posted:

that exploit sounds sweet but once i do that for a week and have enough to buy one of everything, is there any game left?

I had the same fear, that rushing my Imperial rank from 1 to 14 would leave me with so much money that the game felt deflated, but it doesn't have to. I ended up with like 750 million, which I used to buy a Cutter, Clipper, Orca, and a second AspX, and then when I wrapped up my more naturally-progressed Federal rank grind, a Corvette as well. The rest of the money went to outfitting the cheaper ships and adding some more upgrades to my Anaconda. I've kept plenty busy with chasing engineering stuff for those ships, and while I have the Cutter and Corvette in the hangar I can't really do much with them yet for lack of upgrades. So if you're worried about losing motivation due to luxury, just grind enough to actually kit out only one of your new large craft and use it to play as you used to to finance the rest?

Also yeah there's still a ton to do anyway. With most of the engineering done and my rank grind complete, I finally feel like I can leave bubble for a while and have started out on a very minor episode of space madness.

Morter posted:

On top of that, not only is there a sense of purpose but if I decided to gently caress off to do irrelevant space-game poo poo for 2 weeks no one would care (because I'm expendable :unsmith:).

This a hundred times. The Diamond Frogs are some infernal fusion of high goon effort production values with relaxed funhaving that you can duck in and out of without question.

Sard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 24, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Goddammit, quote is not edit.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Efexeye posted:

Once you have money and don't have to give a drat about rebuys or fittings ships that's when the game actually begins. Not having enough money is probably the #1 barrier to fun in this game. That's why when every big money making is found it's flocked on hugely by everyone until the immersion nerds whine it into being nerfed.

e: hello next page I didn't see

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So my story is that I started to play again after a long time, finished a community goal and suddenly had enough to buy a FDL, I've never had more than a Vulture before. So I upgraded some stuff and even though it left me with not enough for insurance I didn't mind, I could earn that later.
So I went to look at a skimmer mission, never done one before. I flew around looking for the targets, clipped a rock, flipped over and blew up. So now I find myself in a Sidewinder with no cash. Currently clawed my way into a Viper which is fun.
That's my riches to rags story, lost 50 million or more in one crash :v:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

I flew around looking for the targets, clipped a rock, flipped over and blew up.

You've been playing SC too long you forgot what functioning collison detection looks like.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Natsuumi posted:

Once you have money and don't have to give a drat about rebuys or fittings ships that's when the game actually begins. Not having enough money is probably the #1 barrier to fun in this game. That's why when every big money making is found it's flocked on hugely by everyone until the immersion nerds whine it into being nerfed.

e: hello next page I didn't see

Going to play devils advocate and say I enjoy earning money, it feels tangible and like there is a real need to secure that currency. If I just had everything at my disposal and turned this game into a sandbox I'd probably stop playing. I like knowing there is a certain amount of risk when doing anything really, I like having to figure out what I can and can't afford and having goals to work towards, I like when something difficult pays out well, but I also like simpler missions simply padding my wallet a bit.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Knifegrab posted:

Going to play devils advocate and say I enjoy earning money, it feels tangible and like there is a real need to secure that currency. If I just had everything at my disposal and turned this game into a sandbox I'd probably stop playing. I like knowing there is a certain amount of risk when doing anything really, I like having to figure out what I can and can't afford and having goals to work towards, I like when something difficult pays out well, but I also like simpler missions simply padding my wallet a bit.

I'll start this with saying that there's no shame in liking whatever you like, and if the grind is itself interesting for you, go for it.

For my tastes, Elite's money grind is way too slow and unrewarding in the way that the developers seem to have intended it. The next step in my radical adventures in space involves nine digits of disposable income while the game wants to throw me five digit rewards more often than not. The timeline on which I'd upgrade to my next ship doing this is not fun to me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Conskill posted:

I'll start this with saying that there's no shame in liking whatever you like, and if the grind is itself interesting for you, go for it.

For my tastes, Elite's money grind is way too slow and unrewarding in the way that the developers seem to have intended it. The next step in my radical adventures in space involves nine digits of disposable income while the game wants to throw me five digit rewards more often than not. The timeline on which I'd upgrade to my next ship doing this is not fun to me.

For sure play however you want to play and have fun! I really like how my incremental upgrades feel massive, and I feel like I would miss these stepping stones if I ever got a big ol' exploit deposit.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
When I started I enjoyed earning money right up to the point where I had a fully fitted Vulture, at which point the amount of money required to upgrade to what was essentially the next ship (Python, this was back in 1.3) jumps by an absurd amount. Then it became a chore. Now I'm glad I can pretty much afford whatever when I feel like it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I flew around in my sweet new Viper MkIV, mostly doing courier missions. I was actually earning a decent amount. I sold my spare Viper MkIV and Eagle then worked my way up to like 1.5m credits. Bought an upgraded Power Plant, Frame Shift Drive, and swapped out my front lasers for gimbled burst lasers and my medium hardpoints to 2x small seeking missile racks. Added a point defense, kill warrant scanner, slightly upgraded shields, and some more cargo. I can jump like 18 LY now, so I may try to make it out to Quience.

Thanks all for the help, the game is starting to make a little more sense now.

[Edit: Oh, and I did join the Diamond Frogs Discord and applied through the site. Thanks for the recommendation.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 25, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I remember some posts in the past upset that the Diamond Frogs were pushing too hard for recruits for whatever sinister purposes but this game is not EVE and the Frogs are just a bunch of really cool and helpful people who work really hard to provide a story to playing Elite, and you don't even have to participate in what they're up to unless you want. People recommend them because they're good, there's no ulterior motive.

The community and metagame in Elite is vibrant and fun and having space friends around makes the game even better.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 25, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was there at the start of Eve. You're right, it's a totally different game. I'm still not sure exactly how multiplayer portions of this game work out, but it seems like a fun blend of single player with some multiplayer aspects.

I was on my way to Quience and realized I was about to stand myself without fuel because there was a bunch of stars in a row with no stations. Backtracked and picked up a fuel scoop and a bigger fuel tank. Plotted a new course and even figured out how to limit the course to only stars that I can scoop. Onwards!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Internet Explorer posted:

I was on my way to Quience and realized I was about to stand myself without fuel because there was a bunch of stars in a row with no stations. Backtracked and picked up a fuel scoop and a bigger fuel tank. Plotted a new course and even figured out how to limit the course to only stars that I can scoop. Onwards!

you seem to be picking up some of this quicker than I did so congrats

I am on my way to Quince as well with a cheap hauler to try out stacking these scan missions so I hope you do well :D

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

coupedeville posted:

you seem to be picking up some of this quicker than I did so congrats

I am on my way to Quince as well with a cheap hauler to try out stacking these scan missions so I hope you do well :D

Well, I did play Eve. :v:

Also.... ohhhh snap!

Made it to Quince. I don't know if it was because I was a little high, or because Sunshine is one of my favorite movies, or both, but jumping from star to star and pulling up real close to it and using the fuel scoop to recharge was awesome. The visuals and the sounds from that process are super cool. Also I feel like a total badass.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 25, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Seeing tons of screenshots and videos of black holes left me expecting a neat visual distortion effect, but much else. Actually arriving at my first one today though, the black treasure one especially... Well, supercruising up to it was really cool, but then I exited SC and

:stare:

holy poo poo there is no way to prepare for dropping out that close.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Well, I did play Eve. :v:

Also.... ohhhh snap!

Made it to Quince. I don't know if it was because I was a little high, or because Sunshine is one of my favorite movies, or both, but jumping from star to star and pulling up real close to it and using the fuel scoop to recharge was awesome. The visuals and the sounds from that process are super cool. Also I feel like a total badass.

There's something immensely satisfying about the whunk when the fuel scoop shuts itself off after a full tank.

I fly around suckling off raw hydrogen plasma from the surface of the sun, dodging solar flares, because paying for fuel is for pussies

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best places to go AFK are suns while you're fuel scooping in a diamondback because you just don't care about the heat.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm going to head to Quince tonight I think, losing everything has given me a whole new set of goals so rather than it be a bad thing it's a pretty cool thing. This Viper is now pimpep up and does well enough and the jump range is better than the Vulture of FDL I had :psyduck: I can get around pretty quickly

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

peter gabriel posted:

I'm going to head to Quince tonight I think, losing everything has given me a whole new set of goals so rather than it be a bad thing it's a pretty cool thing. This Viper is now pimpep up and does well enough and the jump range is better than the Vulture of FDL I had :psyduck: I can get around pretty quickly

The vulture's FTL range is comically bad. I can't really deal with it anymore and sold mine recently.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Conskill posted:

The vulture's FTL range is comically bad. I can't really deal with it anymore and sold mine recently.

I'm not really missing it tbh, I did like it. I'm thinking of going the other route this time and getting something odder

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conskill posted:

I really wish they would stop trying to balance ships by how many loading screens they generate.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Conskill posted:

I just parked my 30ly AspX and hopped into my FDL to go grind an anarchy beacon for space truck materials; 10 lights max per hop is agony after my trip to the core and back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DancingShade posted:

The best places to go AFK are suns while you're fuel scooping in a diamondback because you just don't care about the heat.

I was thinking about my next ship goal to upgrade from my Viper MkIV and the Diamondback Explorer seems pretty nice. Is it a good all-rounder to aim for at that price point?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I've never flown one, but the jump range is getting buffed next patch. IIRC someone got a fully modded one to go 60 ly.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I was thinking about my next ship goal to upgrade from my Viper MkIV and the Diamondback Explorer seems pretty nice. Is it a good all-rounder to aim for at that price point?

I'd go for the Diamondback Scout only because the DBX, even with DD5 thrusters is atrocious in combat. Bigger target, turns slower, and has worse shields. It's a great jumper/explorer but I wouldn't call it an all-rounder.

From here the next coveted all-rounder tends to be the Asp Explorer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morter posted:

I'd go for the Diamondback Scout only because the DBX, even with DD5 thrusters is atrocious in combat. Bigger target, turns slower, and has worse shields. It's a great jumper/explorer but I wouldn't call it an all-rounder.

From here the next coveted all-rounder tends to be the Asp Explorer

Good advice right here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, that certainly makes things cheaper. Thanks guys.

[Edit: Actually, it looks like I am eligible for the Cobra MkIV, so maybe I'll just get that as an all-rounder and then a Diamondback Explorer as an explorer, cause flying around last night was fun. Although if I can make that much money at Quince then maybe this is all moot.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 25, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Well, that certainly makes things cheaper. Thanks guys.

[Edit: Actually, it looks like I am eligible for the Cobra MkIV, so maybe I'll just get that as an all-rounder and then a Diamondback Explorer as an explorer, cause flying around last night was fun. Although if I can make that much money at Quince then maybe this is all moot.]

The DBS as a combat ship while the cobra as a multipurpose ship is what I did. Right now the dbx has no use, at least until the patch hits.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

ughhhh posted:

The DBS as a combat ship while the cobra as a multipurpose ship is what I did. Right now the dbx has no use, at least until the patch hits.

Gonna white knight dat DBX and say that it's been good for exploration all along.

Not as good as the AspX, obviously, and it requires sacrifices, but it's still always been a solid explorer that's able to get the job done.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm just going to keep my Viper MkIV for now and upgrade it. Apparently you need to have purchased Horizons before a certain date as well. We'll see what happens after I grind in Quince. Sorry for spamming the thread with my newbie ramblings, if it's getting annoying just tell me to shut up.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

^ no need to worry about spamming the thread, dude. I learned from your questioning too, since I've never owned a DiamondBack (Scout or Exp).

I've been back in Quince doing some more cash grind before it's whipped from under us when 2.3 drops. I'm getting bored now, but the half a billion credits in my account makes up for that.

I'm gonna hit the gym for an hour and when I come back I think I'll start a big exploration trip. Since I'm in Quince and it's "north" of the bubble on the galaxy map I think I'll continue to head "north" but try and skirt around the edge of the band of stars emanating from Sag A*. When I get bored I'll turn around and head back to Quince for more grind (that will probably be tomorrow).

Any tips? I've got my AspX parked up in Quince, currently loaded with 6 weapons (4 MC's, 2 beam), Advanced disco scanner and detailed surface scanner, G5 engineered FSD, 2 shield boosters, heatsink, chaff and 6A fuel scoop.

I should load the spare slot on my Asp with an SRV, right? I'm not planning on doing much surface driving, just scanning stars and zipping between planets for some detailed scans now and again. It's a pretty aimless exploration trip, to be honest, but I want to bump my exploration rank up from Ranger to Pioneer, or as near as dammit when I return. I'd like to do maybe 10kly out and 10kly back.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

If you're planning to return to Quince, you can probably leave the guns and shield boosters there for more range. You shouldn't need them. And yes, SRV fo sho. Bring the larger module that allows two if you can, driving them like you stole them is half the fun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm Quincing it up in an origami sidewinder, using the Möbius player group for my trips down to the planet, so say hello if I pass by :cool:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

If you're planning to return to Quince, you can probably leave the guns and shield boosters there for more range. You shouldn't need them. And yes, SRV fo sho. Bring the larger module that allows two if you can, driving them like you stole them is half the fun

Yeah. I did wonder about the weapons. I've gained an extra 1.5ly jump without the weapons and a further 2ly without shield boosters and chaff.

Unfortunately Millerport in Quince only has planetary hangars for 1x SRV and I also only have a size 3 slot spare. I think the double hangars are size 4, so I guess I'll just be taking one SRV.

I'm heading into the black now...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

I'm just going to keep my Viper MkIV for now and upgrade it. Apparently you need to have purchased Horizons before a certain date as well. We'll see what happens after I grind in Quince. Sorry for spamming the thread with my newbie ramblings, if it's getting annoying just tell me to shut up.

Don't you dare apologize, dude. Elite is one of those games where everyone started out as a guileless newbie - it's honestly kind of adorable to see you find your footing.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not really impressed with the Cobra MKIV. It has an extra gun mount and more internal space, but it's a lot clumsier than its younger brother. I tend to prefer my ships at least somewhat mobile so.. yeah.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Im only half way to Sagg A, and I have the space madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Fried Watermelon posted:

Im only half way to Sagg A, and I have the space madness

Your avatar totally suits that post.

e: I just found canisters in my SRV on a random tiny planet about 2000ly outside the bubble. The system map says undiscovered, but there are man made objects on it. Either it's a bug or they flew through space and just happened to land next to each other!

I was praying that it would be a shipwreck, because there were two clusters of canisters about 300m apart, but no ship.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 26, 2017

• Locked thread