Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

spog posted:

Me? I don't, that's the article.

But my parents who have gas central heating spent literally $20 on one from Amazon and that is their house protected. I'd suggest that anyone who uses any flame bigger than a candle in in their house without one of these is a bit silly.

Lpt; co detectors have a shelf life on their sensors. Why they dont start beeping like a smoke detector after 5 years I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

revmoo posted:

Lpt; co detectors have a shelf life on their sensors. Why they dont start beeping like a smoke detector after 5 years I have no idea.
All CO detectors since 2009 do alert at end of life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alereon posted:

Thanks, Obama.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyeA7xHABo&t=63s

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Isn't it common practice to use aluminum bolts/studs on the intake on a supercharged engine so if it backfires it will fail just like that instead of blowing up in a more spectacular way?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vanagoon posted:

Isn't it common practice to use aluminum bolts/studs on the intake on a supercharged engine so if it backfires it will fail just like that instead of blowing up in a more spectacular way?

On that car, it's going to do that regardless of bolts. That's a lot of boom. But, sort of. Most have some sort of pressure relief for less violent events, called a blow out plate. They used to not mandate the blower restraint straps. Back in the 70s, that blower would have been launched into the crowd. Probably vids on YT, but I'm on mobile ATM.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Alereon posted:

While I was on a work trip in Europe my wife was woken up at 0200 by one of the combo smoke/CO detectors I had installed seven years earlier when we moved into the house. She couldn't figure out WTF so she called the fire department who responded with two trucks and a Suburban. They used a fancy sniffer to determine that there wasn't any dangerous gas anywhere in the house and told her that it was probably an anomaly with the unit. 15 minutes after they left one of the others started going off, she freaked out and called them back. Two trucks and a Suburban. They couldn't explain it and for the rest of the night she sat in bed - fully clothed - ready to grab the dogs and get the gently caress out of there if it happened again. She used the time to get on the internet and find out about the planned end of life warning for those units.

It had taken me about an hour to install the two detectors seven years earlier and those fuckers were accurate to within minutes of each other in setting off the warning. She called the fire department back in the morning to let them know that this was a thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the combo unit that I installed when I moved into my house in 2008 died in 2015 as well. It was a similar thing where I had to look up the model number on the internet to see WTF it was going on about.

I replaced it with a Nest protect which has a 10 years CO sensor and will actually warn me ahead of time, nicely, that it's about to reach end of life.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I like the nest protects. Yeah, they're expensive, but they also do the nightlight thing, and act as motion sensors for the nest thermostat. And they get 3 more years than a standard CO detector in home installs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They do a few more cool things too. I would get a notification if it went off when I wasn't home. It might give me enough time to save the house by calling the fire department before there were obvious signs from the outside.

It also can talk with the Nest Thermostat so if the CO or fire alarm goes off, it can immediately shut down the furnace

I also got it tied to my Hue lights, so if the fire alarm goes off, the lights all turn on to a color that's easy to see through smoke.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They can also freak out in a really hilarious way (to those that haven't dumped a shitload of money into them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Galler posted:

They can also freak out in a really hilarious way (to those that haven't dumped a shitload of money into them)

I was half expecting that video to end with him finally opening the door to his master bedroom and finding out that it was indeed on fire.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love that video. And not to white knight them, but those were all the 1st generation, which had a partial recall, and were reprogrammed with an update not a month after they came out.

Doesn't fix the fact that they were broken as poo poo when they first came out (as the video, hilariously, shows), though :D

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Galler posted:

Aren't CO detectors supposed to be installed low on the wall?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Saukkis posted:

Aren't CO detectors supposed to be installed low on the wall?

CO is slightly lighter than air, really you want it as close to head high as possible.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

CO is slightly lighter than air, really you want it as close to head high as possible.

This is true, but it's not the only option. Allow me to sperg out for a bit. I install these things as part of my job in ~life safety~ and there's no consensus on the best CO detector height. It's why they're allowed to sell plug-in models that sit by the floor.

CO and o2 differences in weight are almost negligible. But since CO results from combustion so it's going to be warmer than ambient air, meaning it will rise at first. Then you have to take into account the movement of the air in the room (assuming it's from a forced-air heating system or hot car exhaust in an attached garage) so if you start getting dangerous levels of CO in a room it will appear at various heights as the air moves around.

Personally I'm with you on placement (about 6" off the ceiling) but for ideal coverage you would want one at various heights throughout your house. At the end of the day the placement doesn't impact effectiveness too much, though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Breakfast Feud posted:

This is true, but it's not the only option. Allow me to sperg out for a bit. I install these things as part of my job in ~life safety~ and there's no consensus on the best CO detector height. It's why they're allowed to sell plug-in models that sit by the floor.

CO and o2 differences in weight are almost negligible. But since CO results from combustion so it's going to be warmer than ambient air, meaning it will rise at first. Then you have to take into account the movement of the air in the room (assuming it's from a forced-air heating system or hot car exhaust in an attached garage) so if you start getting dangerous levels of CO in a room it will appear at various heights as the air moves around.

Personally I'm with you on placement (about 6" off the ceiling) but for ideal coverage you would want one at various heights throughout your house. At the end of the day the placement doesn't impact effectiveness too much, though.

Yeah I know and I actually lost an argument before because I thought it was heavier than air, I've since decided to leave my CO warner at knee height.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CO2 is the heavier than air combustion product.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If air didn’t mix at least a little, you’d suffocate in pure nitrogen at head height.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If air didn’t mix at least a little, you’d suffocate in pure nitrogen at head height.

If air didn't mix at least a little, anyone at sea level would be walking around in 20 feet of pure carbon dioxide, and another 500 feet of argon above that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd have choked to death on my own farts years ago.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some more gas stuff, this time from the Apollo program with its LOX rocket propellants (Liquid OXygen)

quote:

During the early morning of March 25, 1970 propellants crew began the chill-down of the liquid Oxygen (LOX) pumping system at Launch Complex 39A to begin loading LOX in Apollo 13’s Saturn V first stage for the final ‘wet’ portion of the Countdown Demonstration Test. During the 40-minute precooling process, over 10,000 gallons of LOX were emptied into the dump reservoir. Ocean breezes would normally dissipate the Oxygen fog, but on the morning of the 25th, there was no breeze and there was a temperature inversion. The Oxygen fog built up in the drainage ditch and Oxygen began overflowing onto the banks of an adjacent road. By 6:00 AM close-out crews and safety personnel were clear of the LOX storage area and security officers were ensuring personnel were clear of the area for the hazardous propellant loading process. As the patrolmen had stopped at a perimeter fence, two of the patrol cars spontaneously combusted and the third ignited when the car was started. The patrolmen quickly abandoned their cars and took cover. The fire department arrived within five minutes, but took no action until the Oxygen fog dissipated and the fire was under control by 7:00 AM. Of the investigation that followed, the practice of dumping large quantities of propellant was criticized, entry/exit of the launch complex were studied and KSC safety training was modified. The LOX drainage lines were further extended away from the pad to a marshy area. Engine heat and grease/oil combustibles mixed with Oxygen vapors contributed to two patrol cars spontaneously combusting and the third patrol car was destroyed when the driver turned the ignition.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
They used a '68 Chevelle as a patrol car?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, four-door sedans with a six. It was a fleet car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

Get yourself an electric impact and a friend to compress the spring enough by hand to get the top nut threaded. Cuts a lot of time off.

The bolt holes were literally not large enough to get the bolts through. I would have torn up the threads trying to force them in.

The new ones came in (one on Friday, one on Saturday - Thanks, Amazon!) and it was a 10-minute job bolting everything together. I did the rotors and pads while I was there, so it took about an hour total.

gently caress cheap parts.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Raluek posted:

They used a '68 Chevelle as a patrol car?

Some more fleet vehicles at KSC/VAB in the 60's:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
saw this abortion of a tow today

not pictured is the 3 cop cars and 3 other tow trucks to tow the tow truck

as a tow truck driver this poo poo makes me cringe.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

My dad's car (and terrible photography). Bonnet flew up at speed. Luckily he was ok - car is much more wrecked than it looks, the wing is bent where the hinges connect and the roof is dented.

Insurance wrote it off over the phone, and paid him Ł400 more than he paid for it. Not bad considering the MOT (yearly safety test) was almost up, it had a fuel leak and needed new calipers.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

eberbs posted:

Maple Ridge? Did the tow truck get pulled over and told do it right / atleast get one off the bed? I can't tell, does the turd on the wheel lift have insurance?

EDIT - Does the flat deck even have valid insurance? I don't see any stickers on his rear plate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eberbs posted:

At least that poo poo's strapped down.

If this raises questions for anybody, the answer to all of them is more than likely "North Dakota"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

That happened to me years ago. Worked at a GM dealer, lot jockey/detailer. God what a miserable loving job that was. Borrowed a red 1995 Grand Am from the used lot to go buy lunch. The poo poo flipped back and smashed the windshield, bent the hood to poo poo. Drove back in to the lot after, and everyone was breaking my balls saying that I ran someone down...

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The engine fire recall covers over 360,000 vehicles in North America and Europe. In North America it includes Escape SUVs from the 2014 model year, plus the 2014 and 2015 compact Fiesta ST, the 2013 and 2014 Fusion midsize car and the 2013 through 2015 Transit Connect small van. In Europe, the recall covers the 2010 through 2015 C-Max hybrid and Focus small car, and the 2013 through 2015 Transit Connect van. All the vehicles have 1.6-Liter four-cylinder turbocharged engines.

A lack of coolant circulation could cause the engine to overheat, causing a crack in the cylinder head, according to Ford. If that happens, pressurized oil can leak through the crack, and if it hits a hot surface, could cause and engine fire. The company says it has 29 reports of fires in the U.S. and Canada, but no injuries.

but, uhm....

Owners can continue to drive the vehicles safely and park them in garages or other structures, spokeswoman Elizabeth Weigandt said. The company will mail customers instructions from the owner’s manual on how to check and refill coolant. Dealers also will check coolant levels for owners. If vehicles leak coolant or overheat, they should be taken to a dealer, Weigandt said.

hmmmm.

The company also is adding 211,000 vehicles to a 2015 recall to replace faulty door latches. That recall covers the 2014 Fiesta and the 2013 and 2014 Fusion and Lincoln MKZ. The expansion brings the total from the 2015 recall to nearly 757,000.

oh.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/29/ford-recall-engine-fire-door-latch-fusion-escape-fiesta/

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Maple Ridge? Did the tow truck get pulled over and told do it right / atleast get one off the bed? I can't tell, does the turd on the wheel lift have insurance?

EDIT - Does the flat deck even have valid insurance? I don't see any stickers on his rear plate.

on Vancouver island, on commercial trucks over a certain weight have the sticker on the front plate and the cars being towed don't need to be insured. All the cars got towed away aswell as the tow truck itself. The cops don't gently caress around with poo poo like this, that company is going to get a big pee pee slapping.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

words AKA why I won't own another ford ever in my life even if it's free

you'd think ford would have figured this poo poo out.. My 2001 focus had door opening recall issues that was 16 years ago you'd think they would have figured that poo poo out by now.. like extra careful after the first time they had issues like that

Other recalls on my focus:

Front springs broke, not fixed until they broke, there were incidents of springs tearing tires on the highway because they didn't fix till the springs actually broke, luckily mine broke coming out of the driveway.

Fuel pump: stopped working 3 yers into ownership.

wheel bearings wearing out

front seat reclining all on its own.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tater_salad posted:

Other recalls on my focus:

Fuel pump: stopped working 3 yers into ownership.

There was a TSB for this that included a very generous extended warranty. I had mine replaced outside of the factory 3/36 warranty free of charge.

tater_salad posted:

wheel bearings wearing out

Am I alone in feeling that wheel bearings are a wear item and their eventual need to be replaced isn't out of the ordinary? Or did you mean "wearing out quickly"?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Hit or miss. The front right wheel bearing failed on my ZJ at 220K km, The rear left on a friend's e36 lasted to near 310K, the rest are still going strong. I was driving home at night a few years ago and had the front right wheel bearing go from quiet and fine to a loud howl to locked solid in under 5 seconds on my B2200. I had been driving it for 8 months solid by that point - I got a tow home, popped the dust cap and it was still full of grease. Cotter, nut plate and nut were all still there. hub was so drat buggered I couldn't get a socket on the nut. It was cheaper to hit the wrecking yard and buy a good hub, rotor and ball joints than buy the cheaper of the two roller bearings. Still driving great 2 years later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

AFAIK I'm on the original wheel bearings on my car at ~170k miles.

I've only had to replace wheel bearings a handful of times; I've probably got close to 1M miles under my belt at this point. I don't really consider them to be a wear item, personally, but I've also never owned anything that saw stuff like mud, water crossings, etc. If I owned a 4x4 (and it actually got used for 4x4 things), I'd expect to replace them a lot more often.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Maybe it's a northern/area where it is snows enough that the roads get torn up thing, every other part of the suspension gets beat to poo poo here so why not the bearings too?

Three of the original bearings on my Focus survived past 100k miles, the fourth made it to about 70k. The rears were both swapped out for salvage rear disc hardware that was an unknown quantity when it went on around 110k and one of those was recently replaced at 155k.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

There was a TSB for this that included a very generous extended warranty. I had mine replaced outside of the factory 3/36 warranty free of charge.

Am I alone in feeling that wheel bearings are a wear item and their eventual need to be replaced isn't out of the ordinary? Or did you mean "wearing out quickly"?

Yes there was a tsb but sure sucked parking my car one night, then. It going into work the next morning because my fuel system stopped working.

Both rear wheel bearings died prematurely, like within 35k.

What I listed was the stuff that was wrong what I listed was fixed for free except for the bearings, either the tsb/recall didn't really extend that far, or I forgot to check for one before replacing.

Not listed, all the other poo poo that wore out or broke before other cars I owned with twice my fords mileage.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lime Tonics posted:

A lack of coolant circulation could cause the engine to overheat, causing a crack in the cylinder head, according to Ford. If that happens, pressurized oil can leak through the crack, and if it hits a hot surface, could cause and engine fire. The company says it has 29 reports of fires in the U.S. and Canada, but no injuries.

but, uhm....

Owners can continue to drive the vehicles safely and park them in garages or other structures, spokeswoman Elizabeth Weigandt said. The company will mail customers instructions from the owner’s manual on how to check and refill coolant. Dealers also will check coolant levels for owners. If vehicles leak coolant or overheat, they should be taken to a dealer, Weigandt said.

As a Fiesta ST owner I'm mildly disappointed that the thing doesn't have a coolant level sensor, but beyond that I can't say this really concerns me at all. Low coolant results in overheating, duh. Overheating can crack the head, double duh. A cracked head can turn internal combustion in to external combustion, triple duh.

Unless there's some flaw causing coolant consumption or sudden coolant loss I don't really see how anything resulting from a low coolant overheat situation is even recall worthy. Assuming the idiot light they're installing is in the cluster and not some ugly addon I'll probably have them do it at some point because I like having the sensor as an early warning if something does go wrong, but it's not like this is a Takata airbag or Ford cruise control switch situation where it can strike at any time regardless of how well you maintain your vehicle.