Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Mr Phillby posted:

In the games I played he was called Robotnik you can't tell me that's not his name I'll fight you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvq8tCljS0&t=25s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sonic Unleashed is great actually.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SupSuper posted:

Pretty sure a lot of people were just born in the Sonic Adventure era and are thus forever broken skewed towards serious 3D titles.

Poor kids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's possible for Eggman to be mildly threatening in a way a superhero can stop without a game being a grimdark angstfest.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

It's possible for Eggman to be mildly threatening in a way a superhero can stop without a game being a grimdark angstfest.

It's also for a game to be a grimdark angstfest and be good.

Granted, the Sonic games that currently exist aren't the best evidence of that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

While simultaneously complaining that they can't take this wacky egg shaped man who makes egg shaped robots seriously when he calls himself Eggman.

it's more that robotnik just sounds better.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jesus Christ the end of this is like the Sora Donald Goofy of the Sonic universe

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm sorry but the Beatles reference wins out over just sticking his gimmick onto a suffix.

But in all seriousness.

They're both his name now. It's been the case for over a decade. Literally everyone wins here. That being said, I prefer Eggman for the visual tie in and the fact it feels a little less generic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the name eggman is def less generic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When he's voiced by Long John Baldry, he's Robotnik. When he's voiced by Mike Pollock, he's Eggman.

It fine.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
He was Robotnik in the Genesis games, the only ones that matter, so his name is Robotnik.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Overbite posted:

He was Robotnik in the Genesis games, the only ones that matter, so his name is Robotnik.

Actually you can clearly see his Fortress is stencilled with the words Eggman in Sonic 2 and furthermore

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
he was eggman in sonic drift 2 which is all that matters

also if you're not already watching

https://twitter.com/48hoursonic/status/845825609091604480

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Mr Phillby posted:

In the games I played he was called Robotnik you can't tell me that's not his name I'll fight you.

This, but Mega Drive over "Genesis" (What is this? The bible?).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just call him Robuttnik.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I meant less generic in the sense that "oh, he builds robots, let's shove that into his name like 9000 of other supervillains who are named after the way they do things."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I meant less generic in the sense that "oh, he builds robots, let's shove that into his name like 9000 of other supervillains who are named after the way they do things."

Yeah, so instead his name should be Eggman and everything he builds will be egg-shaped and that's totally different. So where exactly are you on the spectrum again?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, so instead his name should be Eggman and everything he builds will be egg-shaped and that's totally different. So where exactly are you on the spectrum again?

Dude, I'm just discussing why I prefer it. Why the hell do you have to bring this garbage into it?

And for the record, I am autistic, so. Maybe loving stop?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Whoops, didn't know you were actually autistic. But yeah, my point still stands, although whenever I hear "Robotnik" I think of SatAM Sonic and the legions of horrible, horrible furries it spawned and I have to repress a little shudder.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Robotnik is the name you give an evil scientist while Eggman is the name you give a cartoon villain. I think the preference on name kinda comes down to whatever you think of him as.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Robotnik is the name you give an evil scientist while Eggman is the name you give a cartoon villain. I think the preference on name kinda comes down to whatever you think of him as.

I'm not sure why there's a distinction. He's a cartoon evil scientist villain through and through.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not sure why there's a distinction. He's a cartoon evil scientist villain through and through.

Which is probably why he's Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik in the games. But if you really have to choose one I think it either goes to the name you first knew him as, or how serious/silly you think he is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's​ whatever he was called when you were 10

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the new double name, but only if they actually use it. poo poo like "no one calls me that" is lovely, the Genesis/MD sold like poo poo in Japan, supposedly beat the SNES in other regions while getting crushed there, don't flick your snot at the westernized stuff that made Sonic a success. He's an international character. Loved by Europeans, programmed by Japanese, best game made in San Fran. And Mania looks to be coded by people world-wide!

Does anyone have a breakdown of Sonic's sales by region on that note?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They weren't flicking their nose at anything, they were making a joke about how Robotnik isn't used as much anymore.

Like, the line doesn't even mention that name in Japan and is exclusive to the Pontac and Graff script. This isn't a case of making GBS threads on the English stuff at all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I bet you they address the Robotnik/Eggman controversy and put it to rest for good in Mania/Forces this year.

What's the deal with Forces' release anyway, have they said to expect it sometime in 2017?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

What's the deal with Forces' release anyway, have they said to expect it sometime in 2017?
Supposed to be a holiday release. They've been working on it a long time, I think this is supposed to be a big one, well-timed with a strong lead in.

If the game is good it's going to do excellent numbers, especially if Mania is good, since that hype will carry over. If it works well on the Switch it could see a huge number of sales there.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sweet. Sonic's BACK, baby.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What's the official mania release now, just "summer"? :smith:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Amazon hasn't updated their info so May 31st is the only real date we have, still.

I suspect late June.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I bet you they address the Robotnik/Eggman controversy and put it to rest for good in Mania/Forces this year.

They addressed it and put it to rest about 15 years ago when they decided his canon name is Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Everyone insists on fighting over their opinions regardless.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Eggman's Theme posted:

I am the Eggman, that's what I am

I am the Eggman, I got the master plan

I am the Eggman, that's what I am

I am the Eggman, I got the master plan

[GUITAR BREAK]

I am the enemy, I will succeed

My mission, yeah, I must complete

My name is Eggman, don't forget my name!

If you ask me again, I'll tell you the same

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I feel like to really get an idea of what Sonic is, you have to look at it from all angles, and that includes acknowledging that the main antagonist is known as both "Eggman" and "Robotnik". And sometimes he's even called Julian Kintobor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And Ovi Kintobor, and that he became a villain through a combination of chaos emeralds, Sonic running on a treadmill, and a rotten egg.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think Sonic Mania is going to be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Somebody talk me back to being rational.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

I think Sonic Mania is going to be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Somebody talk me back to being rational.

Nah it's looking really good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do any old Mario fans still make a big deal about Princess Toadstool becoming Peach? I dunno why Sonic fans still care about Robotic/Eggman when they use both now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing else to discuss since there hasn't been a good Sonic game since the 90's

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do any old Mario fans still make a big deal about Princess Toadstool becoming Peach? I dunno why Sonic fans still care about Robotic/Eggman when they use both now.

Mario games don't have characters as much as they have props.

Except Wario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

If it means anything, I have heard people complain about Mario's voice going from gruff new yorker to cheerful cartoon italian before.