Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Isn't Brian Smith already heavily involved in the current shitfest? Word is Cleary has agreed to terms anyway.
Nah he never coached the Tigers

he got Easts and Knights in shape, Easts won the premiership the year after he left I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Smith was commissioned to write a report for the Tigers to fix everything and then we just shelved it and decided to poo poo up everything.

The Tigers way.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
On the other end of things, Jason Taumalolo is expected to sign a massive 10-year deal with the Cowboys according the the Herald.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11823032

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Which is patently stupid for both ends of the arrangement.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
not sure how it's stupid for Taumololo

that payout when he retires in 5 years is going to be good

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

Reminds me of that medical retirement loophole Manly and Parra are trying to work right now to get out of the cap hit of backended contracts. They're maybe getting value from that contract for the first 3-4 years but the way Taumalolo plays he's going to get pretty beat up over the years. Sweet deal if you're Taumalolo though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

He's 23, he should still be playing in 10 years*. Considering his quality and the fact that the salary cap will continue to rise he's hamstringing his future earnings considerably.

I mean, taking the million per year is obviously nice cash, but he could easily potentially do better in 5 years time if he renegotiated when the salary cap is higher (if he's still playing well). He could easily earn considerably more at that point.

It's stupid for the reverse reason for the Cowboys; if he ends up tanking then they're going to be in a big Tigers-shaped hole overpaying for him, or having to pay out his contract way over the adjusted market price.

It's just bad business for both sides.

(i would obv take the money, but I'm a useless park footballer so lol if I wouldn't take any amount they offered).

* especially since he's been pretty good with injuries, from memory

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

He's 23, he should still be playing in 10 years*. Considering his quality and the fact that the salary cap will continue to rise he's hamstringing his future earnings considerably.

I mean, taking the million per year is obviously nice cash, but he could easily potentially do better in 5 years time if he renegotiated when the salary cap is higher (if he's still playing well). He could easily earn considerably more at that point.

It's stupid for the reverse reason for the Cowboys; if he ends up tanking then they're going to be in a big Tigers-shaped hole overpaying for him, or having to pay out his contract way over the adjusted market price.

It's just bad business for both sides.

(i would obv take the money, but I'm a useless park footballer so lol if I wouldn't take any amount they offered).

* especially since he's been pretty good with injuries, from memory

You're one injury away from the end of your career, ask Alex McKinnon or Simon Dwyer etc about that. If I'm Taumalolo and I'm offered $10million I sign that poo poo for sure. I may be leaving some dollars on the table over by my career but really what's the worst case for him - he has an even better career than anyone dreams possible and this is an undervalued contract leaving him a theoretical $2 million short over his career? I'll take the secure 10 over the risky 12 thanks. Also if it does turn out undervalued then he still benefits from the club being able to put better players around him due to extra cap flexibility.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

You're one injury away from the end of your career, ask Alex McKinnon or Simon Dwyer etc about that. If I'm Taumalolo and I'm offered $10million I sign that poo poo for sure. I may be leaving some dollars on the table over by my career but really what's the worst case for him - he has an even better career than anyone dreams possible and this is an undervalued contract leaving him a theoretical $2 million short over his career? I'll take the secure 10 over the risky 12 thanks. Also if it does turn out undervalued then he still benefits from the club being able to put better players around him due to extra cap flexibility.

I don't disagree with any particular part, except for the use of the word "secure". There's no such thing, in NRL contract talk, as has been amply shown in the last forever. There's effectively no difference whatsoever in recontracting for 5 or 10 years, since they're both pie-in-the-sky numbers that mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. The only thing he does by taking 10 rather than 5 is artificially limit himself and make it harder to renegotiate, as he inevitably will after 5 years anyway. If he's terrible in 5 years, he'd be helped out the door anyway and be taking a paycut either way - might as well make hay while the sun is shining.

And whilst there's always the possibility of a career-ending injury, the odds are relatively low, and again make no real difference with a 5 or 10 year contract (there's no way in hell they wouldn't have put some sort of sunset clause in his contract for the eventuality of a career-ending injury so they wouldn't be paying $1mil per year). He'd be getting the same sort of payout the others got, whether directly or via the courts for lost earnings. It would help, but it shouldn't be the driving factor.

Remember there's a difference between what we would do, as relatively intelligent people who generally have contract terms actually mean something, and NRL players, who (to put it mildly) aren't geniuses and whose contracts aren't worth the crayons they're signed with.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

And whilst there's always the possibility of a career-ending injury, the odds are relatively low, and again make no real difference with a 5 or 10 year contract (there's no way in hell they wouldn't have put some sort of sunset clause in his contract for the eventuality of a career-ending injury so they wouldn't be paying $1mil per year). He'd be getting the same sort of payout the others got, whether directly or via the courts for lost earnings. It would help, but it shouldn't be the driving factor.

I'm pretty sure the players' union would object to anything like this. It's up to the clubs to get insurance to cover payments if a player is injured.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Knights are making me feel slightly better about being a Tigers fan.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

This would be a good game if everyone would stop dropping the ball.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Is there a shortage of that poo poo they spray on their hands or what

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Brisbane has been a rainy, muggy shithole for ever the last two weeks

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

The Knights are making me feel slightly better about being a Tigers fan.
At least we have a coach atm

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

At least we have a coach atm

Id say something but watching Webster's press conference during the week was like watching a baby deer trying to stand up whilst hunters stupid around it checking the bolts on their rifles. He's so nervous in front of the camera.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Love James Graham getting clarification on the rules there

"Is a slap a penalty?"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lol cowboys, nice collapse

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

How many boats have Melbourne bet on the Tigers winning today? I've never seen them so sloppy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tigers don't need no coach

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wuh oh

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

bowmore posted:

Tigers don't need no coach

Or maybe Jason Taylor is a clueless amateur.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Or maybe Jason Taylor is a clueless amateur.

Story checks out.

Although gently caress, first thing on the shopping list needs to be a forward to replace Edwards, he's a loving liability every single game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
getttin wrecked by cameron

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
are the Tigers good enough to come back? i'm not so sure

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lel

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not with our injuries in this heat

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Entire Warriors pregame: Foran coming back will help us build a winning culture etc.

Seconds before kickoff: Foran has done a hammy!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Auditore posted:

Entire Warriors pregame: Foran coming back will help us build a winning culture etc.

Seconds before kickoff: Foran has done a hammy!

God dammit.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

This is turning into a giant loving disaster.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
We are so terrible as soon as the slightest thing doesn't go to plan for us.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

We always lose at Wollongong.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

For every SJ or Foran it seems you guys have a dozen Maumalos

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Why is Roberts still playing?

Good game in the conditions, Broncs look very calm.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 30, 2017

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Silly Kahu, tbf though I didn't know that either, seems wring somehow.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Why are we still doing super hero uniforms? I thought that was last week.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Three wins in a row now and against good opponents too. Did not expect that after such a horrible start to the season but I'll take it :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Knights appear to be playing the old "reduce the opposition to our level of terrible play and best them with experience " right now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Knights appear to be playing the old "reduce the opposition to our level of terrible play and best them with experience " right now.
yeah nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Simple jack wighton has really turned it around since his disaster of a game against the dragons last year. Im not saying he should be playing origin or anything but hes doing a good job. He hits extremely hard too.

• Locked thread