Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hel posted:

This is the loving worst, you've already shown that your game has the ability to save at these points and you recognize that they might want to restart from there. Why remove those saves when you quit the game and force them to restart from and earlier point instead of letting the player resume from there?

Why not save before you shut the game down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Futuresight posted:

I'm not saying it's weird to like them. It's weird that in multiple threads you have people defending outright bad design decisions because they're meant to be bad. Like okay, but that doesn't make them less bad.

Goons do this an awful lot with games they like that may not actually be all that great (not saying it applies to Nier:A, i haven't played it yet).

"It's supposed to be tedious and annoying, that's the entire point."

"Uh, maybe if you weren't so bad at the game the fact that you are getting repeatedly instakilled because of the poo poo camera/controls/design wouldn't matter."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nuebot posted:

Why not save before you shut the game down?

Because the thing I'm complaining about is when it has checkpoint you can restart at if you die but you can't save and come back to them later, see also Hitman : Blood Money where in mission saves don't persist between sessions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rodbeard posted:

My biggest problem with the mass effect trilogy was how bullet spongy the enemies were. It's hard to imagine the games getting worse. I played on the lowest possible difficulty for mass effect 3 just because I was sick of shooting every enemy multiple times in the head with a sniper rifle.

Well do not buy andromeda because they only doubled down on it. It was preposterous in ME3, but still somewhat reasonable as a biotic combo would generally kill a basic enemy instantly and substantially damage everything else, even on platinum due to how the combo damage scaled. In andromeda you can trap the most basic kind of enemy in a singularity, send it flying away with a biotic explosion, then run up and blast its body with a shotgun point blank, and it will still be alive. It's like those anime fights where dudes power up for thirty seconds and then slam each other with entire natural disasters, but are so unphased by it that they can monologue for another two minutes and then do it again.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hel posted:

This is the loving worst, you've already shown that your game has the ability to save at these points and you recognize that they might want to restart from there. Why remove those saves when you quit the game and force them to restart from and earlier point instead of letting the player resume from there?

In this case it's because the game's doing the Undertale thing where drat near every mechanic is literal. Saving is your main character backing up their data at a nearby terminal, your menu is your character's actual interface with their pod device, damage numbers pop up because you have the "damage numbers pop up" chip installed for your HUD, etc. I think in this case there are sections where part of the challenge is "get through this whole thing in one run" and it's kind of hard to put that challenge across when mid-mission savescumming is a thing. So there's weird blobby areas of map where you can save instantly and other areas where you can't. To me, it's not even something worth complaining about because the game's "normal" difficulty is fuckin' easy once you're a bit built and making it harder would make it less fun.

You also can't open your menu mid-attack or while riding animals, presumably to prevent people from doing stupid poo poo like swapping out weapons mid-attack or removing their "I can ride animals" item. Because this is a Platinum game and you know people would fuckin' try.

spudsbuckley posted:

Goons do this an awful lot with games they like that may not actually be all that great (not saying it applies to Nier:A, i haven't played it yet).

"Uh, maybe if you weren't so bad at the game the fact that you are getting repeatedly instakilled because of the poo poo camera/controls/design wouldn't matter."

To me, it's tedious and annoying in a very "this is just how the rules work" way, rather than in a "we couldn't be arsed to make it better" way. It's not supposed to be revolutionary or special or unique, it's just a restriction on how things are done in that particular game. It's fine if you find it tedious and annoying, but I find it adds to one of the game's themes (the theme being "poo poo breaks all the fuckin' time and doesn't work how we all wish it did when it is working.").

E: And I think the urge to defend games from their annoyances comes from the fact that people liking stuff is a good thing and some people overreact to perceived quality lapses and miss out on experiences that could be just up their alley, because "the main character won't automatically reload their weapon if it's empty" or whatever.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Mar 26, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Also some people are insanely petty and we live in a world where you can just pretend to/just be an obtuse jackass so you don't have to listen to arguments

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
But if the gameplay of my lesbian robot fetish models is not seen as perfect, how else can I enjoy it?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

e: in reference to Nier:Automata

Gives you one of the endings, though! (Which I got like 3 times until I figured out you could just continuously i-frame your way through most attacks.)

So, uh, out of curiosity, is the point of no return after fighting the Gradius boss? Because I just saw several quest markers disappear.

Points of no return (that I remember):

1) Helping defend the big ship with the missile on it in the flooded city
2) Getting a philosophy book for pascal

There's a bit earlier than (1) where it looks like all the quests have been cancelled, but they come back a little bit later and you can keep doing them. It happens After you speak to Pascal, and the Goliaths attack and make a big hole in the ground. The quest markers come back at the same time you unlock fast travel

Also, Nier is a loving incredible game, but the save system is a pain, and losing progress because you die and hadn't saved for god knows how long is awful.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Digirat posted:

Well do not buy andromeda because they only doubled down on it. It was preposterous in ME3, but still somewhat reasonable as a biotic combo would generally kill a basic enemy instantly and substantially damage everything else, even on platinum due to how the combo damage scaled. In andromeda you can trap the most basic kind of enemy in a singularity, send it flying away with a biotic explosion, then run up and blast its body with a shotgun point blank, and it will still be alive. It's like those anime fights where dudes power up for thirty seconds and then slam each other with entire natural disasters, but are so unphased by it that they can monologue for another two minutes and then do it again.

Multiplayer or single? Multiplayer, have you upgraded anything? Single player, lower the difficulty.
I'm playing on normal and regular kett get wrecked if I got them with combos. Even the shielded guys aren't bad if you flame them.

The thing dragging down Andromeda is textures popping in at the end of cutscenes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

A goon once posted in complete earnestness that Spec Ops: The Line had bad gameplay on purpose as a metaphor for how war is also bad and shouldn't be fun and it blew my mind so bad that I still think of that every single time I see him post even though it's been like 4 years or whatever.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Multiplayer or single? Multiplayer, have you upgraded anything? Single player, lower the difficulty.
I'm playing on normal and regular kett get wrecked if I got them with combos. Even the shielded guys aren't bad if you flame them.

The thing dragging down Andromeda is textures popping in at the end of cutscenes.

Yeah, I complained yesterday about the enemies being a little too spongy for me but from what I remember it's pretty much in line with previous games. I'm just used to like Tom Clancy games where someone goes down after two to the chest. Haven't tried multiplayer yet though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Beyond the tutorial intro saving really isn't a issue? I wonder what you guys complaining about it thought of alien isolation or dead rising's save system.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

A goon once posted in complete earnestness that Spec Ops: The Line had bad gameplay on purpose as a metaphor for how war is also bad and shouldn't be fun and it blew my mind so bad that I still think of that every single time I see him post even though it's been like 4 years or whatever.

Do you still have that extra copy of Spec Ops? I wanna try it if only to be in the know when people post about it here.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Do you still have that extra copy of Spec Ops? I wanna try it if only to be in the know when people post about it here.

Yeah, can you post your Steam or like a throwaway email or something to make sure the code doesn't get scooped by a lurker?

It's actually pretty good, I feel like the story's not as great as goons make it out to be but the gameplay's a lot better than they give it credit for so it averages out to "a pretty good cover shooter with a cool story."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Slime posted:

This. Remember, the first Nier features horrible, horrible sidequests that featured Nier and Weiss bitching about how annoying they were and wondering out loud why the hell they were doing them.

Nothing like having your character complain about something (Sewer, turret section) and the game forcing you to still do it regardless!

In Resident Evil 7, if you get killed by Mia in the intro when she has a chainsaw, she sticks it in your stomach and slices you in half from there. But the screen doesn't split and have you looking in two directions.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yeah, can you post your Steam or like a throwaway email or something to make sure the code doesn't get scooped by a lurker?

It's actually pretty good, I feel like the story's not as great as goons make it out to be but the gameplay's a lot better than they give it credit for so it averages out to "a pretty good cover shooter with a cool story."

Steam ID

Plastron

If there's too many accounts on steam with that name it's the one with a flcl av

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Slime posted:

This. Remember, the first Nier features horrible, horrible sidequests that featured Nier and Weiss bitching about how annoying they were and wondering out loud why the hell they were doing them.

The only Nier quest I remember being horrible - is the one where you have to cross breed plants for hours and is the only quest I could not do. Most just seemed to be "go to this spot" or "bring me these materials" and the money you'd get from them would usually be worth your time (as long as you didn't buy the items you needed or the random luck god hates your guts).

There is one huge quest where you walk to every major town to find some npc and your pretty much rewarded with some guy telling you you've been duped and you end up getting no reward what so ever. I found it so funny that I couldn't actually bring myself to be mad at the game.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

My favorite thing of LoZ: BotW is how sometimes when you have to climb up something, it'll suddenly start raining, so you just kinda have to get your phone out and wait until the rain stops so you can finally continue playing. And you already went through hell to get to that point, so teleporting away isn't really an option unless you want to redo all that - and even if you do, there's no guarantee it's not going to start raining again. And of course, you can't build a fire to pass time because the rain puts it out. Doesn't help that Hyrule is apparently one of the rainiest areas on the planet.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oldstench posted:

It was never touted as innovative or groundbreaking was it? Also, save points were around a long time before DS. Unless you mean the teleportation between them (does this really need to be a spoiler?).

The intro message kind of implied it would be something more interesting. And with the bizarre corpse-retrevial and summoning mechanic I'd say they've cribbed the save point system from DS without really understanding why its in there.

On a similar note: Lords of the sodding Fallen.

Dark Souls bonfires are an integral part of the story and setting - they're tied into the story of the first flame, Fire Keepers are major characters, NPCs interact with the bonfires, and the moment you realise that the bonfires are made of human bones instead of wood is creepy as gently caress.

Lords of the Fallen just does a copy-paste over the top, turning them into big red floating crystals imaginatively titled Save Points. It feels so very lazy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The intro message kind of implied it would be something more interesting. And with the bizarre corpse-retrevial and summoning mechanic I'd say they've cribbed the save point system from DS without really understanding why its in there.

On a similar note: Lords of the sodding Fallen.

Dark Souls bonfires are an integral part of the story and setting - they're tied into the story of the first flame, Fire Keepers are major characters, NPCs interact with the bonfires, and the moment you realise that the bonfires are made of human bones instead of wood is creepy as gently caress.

Lords of the Fallen just does a copy-paste over the top, turning them into big red floating crystals imaginatively titled Save Points. It feels so very lazy.
Everything about Lords of the Fallen is lazy and bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zinkraptor posted:

My favorite thing of LoZ: BotW is how sometimes when you have to climb up something, it'll suddenly start raining, so you just kinda have to get your phone out and wait until the rain stops so you can finally continue playing. And you already went through hell to get to that point, so teleporting away isn't really an option unless you want to redo all that - and even if you do, there's no guarantee it's not going to start raining again. And of course, you can't build a fire to pass time because the rain puts it out. Doesn't help that Hyrule is apparently one of the rainiest areas on the planet.

Rumor is it that the longer you play the game, the more frequent it rains and the more the frequency of blood moons because of a bug with memory or something
Actually closing and restarting the game instead of putting the switch on suspend fixes the issue supposedly

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Nier:A: if the Jean-Paul quest didn't give you a big fat slab of insight into Simone it wouldn't be worth it. Three location fetch quest, but you have to run the drat thing twice to clear it. Thank gently caress quests stay cleared between playthroughs.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Somfin posted:

Nier:A: if the Jean-Paul quest didn't give you a big fat slab of insight into Simone it wouldn't be worth it. Three location fetch quest, but you have to run the drat thing twice to clear it. Thank gently caress quests stay cleared between playthroughs.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thankfully N:A pops up farming areas for active sidequests on your map and puts in a strong-ish enemy with a 100% drop chance for the item in question, so farming is rarely a pain in the arse.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Nothing like having your character complain about something (Sewer, turret section) and the game forcing you to still do it regardless!

Well that's the thing, you don't have to do it. They're side quests, and the game openly mocks you for doing things you don't want to do just to get 100%. The one time you do have to do something like that for the main story in the first game, fishing early on, the game just gives you the fish if you screw up three times. That didn't stop people from complaining about it then either and saying it was the worst game ever for making you fish.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you didn't exhaust every last corner of the world of Nier in order to hear every possible Weiss sneer, sulk, and snip, then maybe you just don't like pleasure.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Currently lmao at Nier:A giving you a store to buy achievements.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

This isn't accurate for Automata. Its not purposely trolling players trying to 100% sidequests. Even the racing quests just require you to think laterally, and exploit your pod programs/chips to basically cheat.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Steam ID

Plastron

If there's too many accounts on steam with that name it's the one with a flcl av

Sorry for the delay, family stuff happened. If there's a way to PM someone not on your friends list on Steam I can't find it so I'm the SAFAO that just added you.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry for the delay, family stuff happened. If there's a way to PM someone not on your friends list on Steam I can't find it so I'm the SAFAO that just added you.

The recipient would have to be on a public account, opened to everyone to post on their profile etc, which is a really bad idea for obvious reasons.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

it's cool bud :)

i owe you a game on your wishlist.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Yakuza 0

Each character has a business they have to run. Kiryu does real estate and Majima runs a cabaret club. These jobs require you to hire people and they all have different stats.

These stats aren't done in an ABCD scale, mind you. They're scored based on the face button symbols of a Playstation controller besides Square.

Yes, it's obtuse. The only reason I figured out Circle was the best option was because there's a double Circle icon. Cross is worst, Triangle is bad, Circle is good, Double Circle is best.

This means I've been appointing terrible advisors to my real estate holdings. It hasn't killed the game or anything because this is all really side stuff, but I wish there was some indication in the tutorial menus (because it really glazes over that stuff) about those ratings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

MP silver/gold. Only the most overpowered stuff feels like it does any damage.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Digirat posted:

MP silver/gold. Only the most overpowered stuff feels like it does any damage.

This was the same in ME3 though. Power classes were bread and butter right up until you got your Black Widow rifles and such. A good biotic warp explosion will nuke things to death. Not sure how they do for Andromeda but it seems to follow that same kinda curve. If they have ammo mods still and combos still just hose dudes down with overload / incincerate and shock ammo. You win game good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That Yakuza 0 doesn't have an English track.voice acting has come a long way since the first came out.

Course it's a miracle we even got it so I can't bitch too much

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

That Yakuza 0 doesn't have an English track.voice acting has come a long way since the first came out.

I'm sure Sega took a look at literally every other game with English and Japanese voices, saw that people constantly bitch about how terrible dubs are, shrugged and decided to not spend the money dubbing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

I'm sure Sega took a look at literally every other game with English and Japanese voices, saw that people constantly bitch about how terrible dubs are, shrugged and decided to not spend the money dubbing it.

Well yeah nerds are always going to be crazy vocal that they don't have the Japanese to listen to and since those people are most likely the target demographic for the Yakuza games it makes sense but drat it I like dubs.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Action Tortoise posted:

Yakuza 0
These stats aren't done in an ABCD scale, mind you. They're scored based on the face button symbols of a Playstation controller besides Square.

Yes, it's obtuse. The only reason I figured out Circle was the best option was because there's a double Circle icon. Cross is worst, Triangle is bad, Circle is good, Double Circle is best.

This is a usual Japanese grading system. I don't know what it's called but it's the way they do it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The main thing that's bringing down my general gaming experience is that we will never get a sequel to Rocket Jockey.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inzombiac posted:

The main thing that's bringing down my general gaming experience is that we will never get a sequel to Rocket Jockey.

Same except for God Hand.

I would end a man for Platinum to get the greenlight and a respectable budget to go nuts on a God Hand 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

Len posted:

Well yeah nerds are always going to be crazy vocal that they don't have the Japanese to listen to and since those people are most likely the target demographic for the Yakuza games it makes sense but drat it I like dubs.

Boo. Boo!

Seriously, this was something the fans clamored for ever since Yakuza 3 first did it and really appreciate about the series.