Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Instant Grat posted:

Shovel Knight??

EDIT: Or one of the fifty gajillion indie titles they announced. Nick Robinson made a pretty good point that a lot of these indie games need so little horsepower that they run identically on most of the platforms they come out for, and if that's the case, why wouldn't you just get the version that can be played in portable mode and in 1080p on your TV?

You're adorable thinking that the Switch will be able to push 1080 on a tv, short of like, 3 or 4 games. Even Zelda, their loving flagship game, will only push 900 on a tv.

Just because they have the ability to do so, doesn't mean they'll have a heavy list of games that will be able to run in 1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Zelda is probably the worst example, dude. It's primarily a Wii U Port,which is horrendously optimized. Does it really need all the Gras swaying in the Wind? Or a huge LOD for its intended screen size?

Funny enough, the 1 Game thing is what they said about the PS4. A console that cannot run its flagship title above 30 FPS without frame drops.

I'm in no way a Nintendo Fanboy, mind you. I hated the 3DS and the Wii U and got a switch just because I could sell my 3ds xl for more than I've paid for it,and like gaming during commutes.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Funny enough, the 1 Game thing is what they said about the PS4. A console that cannot run its flagship title above 30 FPS without frame drops.

1 game? The PS4 launch was pretty varied. In general the PS4/Xbox one hardware has always been a little disappointing since most enthusiasts really wanted 1080p@60fps and the hardware simply struggles to do that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Console Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!!!!!!!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

unlawfulsoup posted:

1 game? The PS4 launch was pretty varied. In general the PS4/Xbox one hardware has always been a little disappointing since most enthusiasts really wanted 1080p@60fps and the hardware simply struggles to do that.

Yes, yes. Of course we all didn't buy the console primarily for Bloodborne and it and Uncharted 4 are not among the only exclusives still worth recommending to this day, besides HZD, 2 years later.

This very thread or it's predecessor touted Bloodborne as the only game worth buying the PS4 for, for over 6 months back then

The Switch is out not even 1 month.

I loved the Vita by the way. A console with a bad screen, expensive as gently caress storage, and the portability of a brick. But that thing is dead except if you like hentai visual novels. Why is another handheld so hated, especially since it won't affect the real consoles?

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 26, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nintendo has always done its own thing. The switch will one day be redeemed, it could be super mario odyssey, it could be the second zelda game, or it could be an awesome new kirby game. Or maybe xenoblade chronicles 2 for those rpg fans.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Nintendo has always done its own thing. The switch will one day be redeemed, it could be super mario odyssey, it could be the second zelda game, or it could be an awesome new kirby game. Or maybe xenoblade chronicles 2 for those rpg fans.

Maybe it's Monhun, or Pokémon. Things that sell like hotcakes and need to come out during the weekend so the Japanese don't skip work

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How the gently caress did Nintendo spend five years making the switch and not have a Pokemon or mario game ready for release, considering the miserable failure of the WiiU. They're unbelievable.
It's not like Sony or ms where they can coast on goodwill.

Blows my mind.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How the gently caress did Nintendo spend five years making the switch and not have a Pokemon or mario game ready for release, considering the miserable failure of the WiiU. They're unbelievable.
It's not like Sony or ms where they can coast on goodwill.

Blows my mind.

They had Zelda for the release and Mario is coming for the holidays.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quite the line up there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Quite the line up there.

Welcome to console launches I guess

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Switch has some flaws that wouldn't exist if it was made by any company other than Nintendo, but I'm rooting for it to succeed so that it finally sounds the death knell for the dedicated handheld. Bring those 80 hour JRPG's back to the TV screen please.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The worst for it was the PS3. That was a console which had literally nothing worth playing for near enough 3 years, to the point that I jumped ship onto the 360 briefly. The PS3 only had games worth actually buying the console for in the second half of its lifecycle, when the price was also much more reasonable.

So I'm laughing at people's short memories here. Even if the Switch only really has Zelda and indie ports, Zelda is still a fantastic game. The PS3 didn't even really have any fantastic games at launch or even any games that were particularly notable for being good for months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The worst for it was the PS3. That was a console which had literally nothing worth playing for near enough 3 years, to the point that I jumped ship onto the 360 briefly. The PS3 only had games worth actually buying the console for in the second half of its lifecycle, when the price was also much more reasonable.

So I'm laughing at people's short memories here. Even if the Switch only really has Zelda and indie ports, Zelda is still a fantastic game. The PS3 didn't even really have any fantastic games at launch or even any games that were particularly notable for being good for months.

Don't forget the first-gen Dualshock 3's didn't have rumble because Sony thought people didn't want it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget the first-gen Dualshock 3's didn't have rumble because Sony thought people didn't want it.

Or the $599 price tag.

Basically, Sony's done launches far worse than the Nintendo Switch launch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quite the line up there.

The PS4 didn't have any games worth buying one for until Bloodborne came out 18 months later

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What, no the sixaxis didn't have rumble because they were in the middle of a patent suit, as soon as that was settled they brought out the DS3

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i've never really had a complaint about the battery life of the ds4, but i wish there was a cheaper controller for sale that didn't have lightbars, gyros, swipepads, rumbles and other gimmicks that i've never cared about.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zipperelli. posted:

You're adorable thinking that the Switch will be able to push 1080 on a tv, short of like, 3 or 4 games. Even Zelda, their loving flagship game, will only push 900 on a tv.

Just because they have the ability to do so, doesn't mean they'll have a heavy list of games that will be able to run in 1080.

I was explicitly talking about less demanding indie titles, but you do you I guess.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Quite the line up there.

- $300 with no pack-in game
- Zelda is also on the Wii U
- Online functionality isn't finalized
- The best third party support includes Bomberman and Just Dance
- Wii U had better third-party support at launch
- Joy Con connectivity issues
- No Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon video at launch
- Launches in March

Nintendo's best launch ever in North America. Nintendo's best launch ever in Europe. In line with PS4 sales in Japan before suffering from supply constraints. Best console launch ever in France's history. Zelda outsold Wii sports, a pack-in title. Consistently sold out. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sunning posted:

- Zelda is also on the Wii U

Nobody owns a Wii U so Zelda is basically a Switch exclusive

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Are there any games currently, or coming out soon, worth looking into that are in the theme of dynasty warriors?
I haven't touched one of those games in.....10+ years but have the itch to take on waves of different enemies, fighting for objectives, unlocking crap

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are there any games currently, or coming out soon, worth looking into that are in the theme of dynasty warriors?
I haven't touched one of those games in.....10+ years but have the itch to take on waves of different enemies, fighting for objectives, unlocking crap

Dragon Quest Heroes comes close, although it's got a fair share of tower defense elements. A sequel is coming out this year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has so much content in it that it'll take hundreds and hundreds of hours to finish it so you can go hog wild on all that stuff. There's also Dynasty Warriors 8 and Samurai Warriors 4 for the exclusively Chinese or Japanese style.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has so much content in it that it'll take hundreds and hundreds of hours to finish it so you can go hog wild on all that stuff. There's also Dynasty Warriors 8 and Samurai Warriors 4 for the exclusively Chinese or Japanese style.
I'll check out all those those games, and the other one just mentioned. Thanks
Any split screen or strictly online co-op sorta stuff?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All of those games mentioned have couch co-op except for DQH which doesn't have any multiplayer at all.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Andrast posted:

Nobody owns a Wii U so Zelda is basically a Switch exclusive

Every single person I knew who was planning to buy a Switch at launch already owned a Wii U.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Every single person I knew who was planning to buy a Switch at launch already owned a Wii U.

The Switch thread is full of posts from people who were new to Splatoon. Because they didn't own a Wii U. Because no one owned a Wii U.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Switch is the thing you buy if you wanna play Nintendo games. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that it's somehow going to pull in vast unprecedented third party support at this point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It also doesn't help that the current trend is third party games are $10 more expensive on Switch than on PC/PS4/Xbox One. Games like Puyo Puyo Tetris*, Rime, and Minecraft: Story Mode.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Hello PlayStation thread, it's been a a few weeks so this may have been addressed already but. What are people's experiences with HDR in Horizon?

I find I need to max the in-game brightness slider to remotely match image clarity/visibility with the default (50%) brightness value in SDR. This is with a KS8000, properly calibrated for HDR and SDR. Maxing an in-game brightness slider feels insanely wrong (currently running at a dusky 80%), but the game is virtually unplayable at 50% even in a darkened room.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Enjoying Nier so far except for a couple of things:

I am constantly losing track of myself in battle because 2B and 9S look almost identical when they're tiny, especially in the side-scroller areas where they can't move through each other. Anything I can do about this or do I just have to get used to it?

Does the game ever give an explanation of why she's dressed like that?

Any way to check the recommended level of sidequests?

How do I get to the shore? It looks like it's beyond the back of the Resistance camp but there isn't an exit there and no other paths from the overworld seem to go in that direction.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

Enjoying Nier so far except for a couple of things:

I am constantly losing track of myself in battle because 2B and 9S look almost identical when they're tiny, especially in the side-scroller areas where they can't move through each other. Anything I can do about this or do I just have to get used to it?

How do I get to the shore? It looks like it's beyond the back of the Resistance camp but there isn't an exit there and no other paths from the overworld seem to go in that direction.

Just get used to it.

No.

Nope just see what level the enemies are and if they're too tough just come back later. You can't miss anything.

Just progress the plot.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

haveblue posted:

You can give 2B a silly ornament :v: You probably got a few of them as part of the "Day One edition", and more can be obtained through sidequests. They're in your key items.

haveblue posted:

Yoko Taro said, and I quote, "I like girls"

haveblue posted:

Try them and see. Lots of them don't involve combat, so "Recommended level" wouldn't really make sense. If you try one and the combat is too hard, come back to it later. Or don't! Entirely up to you.

haveblue posted:

Patience, young grasshopper.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I had the same problem finding my character in battle. Turn on the flashlight, that helped me out a ton

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I enjoy the weight that the rumble adds to controllers but I turn it off all the time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The Switch is the thing you buy if you wanna play Nintendo games. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that it's somehow going to pull in vast unprecedented third party support at this point.

I like the idea of the Switch getting indie support and games that were previously on the 3DS (Like monster hunter and JRPGs) while also getting all of the main line Nintendo stuff.

Policenaut posted:

It also doesn't help that the current trend is third party games are $10 more expensive on Switch than on PC/PS4/Xbox One. Games like Puyo Puyo Tetris*, Rime, and Minecraft: Story Mode.

That's probably just the new console tax. It will hopefully get better as time goes on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But going there is my primary objective :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pipe, Central City. Groundlevel, it's a bit above the cavein