Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah. Kimi just collecting a paycheck. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm was impressed with Giovanezzi.

P12 and he didn't know he'd be racing until like two days ago. Dump Magnussen, put him at Haas.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KMAG has never impressed me. And he seems to be getting worse.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
Wow, seems I went to bed at exactly the right time to avoid a tide of negativity about what was an exciting race to watch. Was it Canada 2011 exciting? No, but it doesn't need to be in order to be worth watching.

Edit: seems to me Kmag has gotten worse since his crash at Spa last year

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No one would be under the mistaken belief that Magnussen had any talent if he hadn't fluked a podium in his first race.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Excuse me but I think you are all forgetting just how awful Ericsson is.

Very nearly got outqualified by a teenager who had only ever had one hour in a F1 car, then got outperformed by him in a race where he got a DNF and said rookie came 12th.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Glad the thread just leaves the obvious disparaging comments about lollylolpalmer on the table.
Someone who gets shown up by loving Kmag of all people, to such an extent people think Kmag was good in comparison.

Stroll is laughably not ready for F1 but at least that's entertaining to watch. Someone who under-performs by seconds whilst moaning about the car should just be shot.
F1 needs summary executions.
And sprinklers.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Khablam posted:

Glad the thread just leaves the obvious disparaging comments about lollylolpalmer on the table.
Someone who gets shown up by loving Kmag of all people, to such an extent people think Kmag was good in comparison.

Stroll is laughably not ready for F1 but at least that's entertaining to watch. Someone who under-performs by seconds whilst moaning about the car should just be shot.
F1 needs summary executions.
And sprinklers.

I'm all for making fun of Palmer, but his car was clearly not working right

Speaking of which, Renault had a worse weekend than Honda in terms of engine reliability, which is pretty funny

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

KMAG has never impressed me. And he seems to be getting worse.

He continued the tradition of hitting another car in Australia as the 2nd Haas driver though! :newlol: (though you could argue who was at fault for last year's)

fake edit: I hope to the gods this is the last ferrari win, because they they'll use it to justify the extra cash they get :cripes:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
20 pages to catch up on, first things first

Also this is the BBC's lead F1 story on their main Sport page

No bitterness there, no sirree

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HJB posted:

Also this is the BBC's lead F1 story on their main Sport page

No bitterness there, no sirree

What's bitter about this?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

He looks Ike hugo strange

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Hamilton being boo'd was the main highlight of this race. Apart from The shark fins these cars look great and they are ferocious on the corners. Great stuff.

For rhe first time since I started watching F1 in the late 70's I am without a team or a driver to support and I surprised myself by cheering on Vettel to beat Their Lewis. I shall not be making that mistake again.

Also Are Rossie trolling Their Lewis through out the race with tweets was great.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The big Beeb are fine.
They posted their 'Hamilton perspective' article after Vettel pieces, including quite a glowing Ferrari piece.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

On the F1 page yeah, but the part that most people look at is always in relation to Hamilton. Okay bitterness is the wrong word I don't care Super Seb is back woo!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Their Lewis' misfortunes should always be celebrated.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

HJB posted:

On the F1 page yeah, but the part that most people look at is always in relation to Hamilton. Okay bitterness is the wrong word I don't care Super Seb is back woo!

You was right the first time. He is by nature a very bitter person which is where his petulance stems from. He may not be displaying it in huge quantities at the moment, though his post race interview on C4 was borderline bitterness, but I am sure a few more non Lewis wins will provide normal service.

E: step back froggy boy we have a new contender in punchable face catagory in Ocon and Stroll.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 26, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'm genuinely curious what people's expectations are regarding races. You had a car that wasn't on pole push the lead car for a considerable stint at the beginning, arguable forcing the lead car to ruin their tires and then still had the pace to push while in clean air. It was a great build up over strategy and being able to push and Seb chasing Lewis in the early part of the race looked awesome. If you want to see a million passes go watch races at a rental kart place.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

E: step back froggy boy we have a new contender in punchable face catagory in Ocon and Stroll.

Can somebody make a tournament bracket thing of this and we can vote as the season goes on?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last few days BBC sport has been unbearable with the Lewis circle jerk. BBC are the absolute worst for cheering people on until they win and then turning on them, and then if it looks like they are going to get beaten again they start with the cheering again. You can actually track it quite nicely.

2014 Lewis gets BBC sports personality of the year, in part because of heavy promotion for him by the BBC.

2015 Lewis gets nominated but didn't win, in fact he got less votes than a wife beating chav who was being dragged over the coals. BBC does no promotion for him.

2016 Lewis not even nominated, nominations go out before the season has ended.

2017 WILL ARE LEWIS BOUNCE BACK!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Last few days BBC sport has been unbearable with the Lewis circle jerk. BBC are the absolute worst for cheering people on until they win and then turning on them, and then if it looks like they are going to get beaten again they start with the cheering again. You can actually track it quite nicely.

2014 Lewis gets BBC sports personality of the year, in part because of heavy promotion for him by the BBC.

2015 Lewis gets nominated but didn't win, in fact he got less votes than a wife beating chav who was being dragged over the coals. BBC does no promotion for him.

British news organization supports top British driver?

STOP THE PRESSES WE GOTTA TELL EVERYONE.

Though the wishie-washyness is annoying.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

Its because the BBC has realised that he actually has no personality at all.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm genuinely curious what people's expectations are regarding races. You had a car that wasn't on pole push the lead car for a considerable stint at the beginning, arguable forcing the lead car to ruin their tires and then still had the pace to push while in clean air. It was a great build up over strategy and being able to push and Seb chasing Lewis in the early part of the race looked awesome. If you want to see a million passes go watch races at a rental kart place.

Or NASCAR.

But the usual suspects that bitch don't actually like racing. :butt:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No, British new organisation turns on British driver because he's doing too well and they think he's getting too big for his boots. It's a thing the British press have been doing since 1841 when Punch was founded.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot take: Sky F1 is garbage and Horner should stop talking to them mid race. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

But the usual suspects that bitch don't actually like racing. :butt:

I was highly skeptical of these regs and the type of racing it was going to deliver but when I fawn over old 80s races these rules seem to have brought back all the good aspects of those races. The reality is if you have a car that can overtake three cars every second lap you're going to have a car that is going to qualify on pole and sail off 30 seconds ahead of everyone else before the first pitstop.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Vettle coming out of the pits in front of Hamilton. Camera cuts to Toto punching the table.

Like how the gently caress can you not like that?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Vettle coming out of the pits in front of Hamilton. Camera cuts to Toto punching the table.

Like how the gently caress can you not like that?

It's cool...

Until you remember that it's Ferrari winning.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Me too.
This race unfolded like most races from ~1980 to 2011, before every car gaining on another was an inevitable overtake because of DRS.
Curious why DRS was such a non-factor here - I wonder if the new aero has nerfed DRS, making it harder to get within 1s?
If that's the case, DRS might actually be in a good place. Time, and more than one race, will tell.

I do wonder though how many people ITT pre-date DRS/KERS, maybe people haven't watched F1 without overtake assists, or have just forgotten?

I speak as someone who re-watches old races, so probably a minority.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

uXs posted:

Going to try watching this year though, see how fellow Flemish bloke Vandoorne will be doing.

Another fan of my man Stoffel Vandoorne, good to see. Sorry to hear about your cold though, get well soon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've watched a lot of older seasons at this point.

Very few races were as exciting as Melbourne.

Obviously there's standouts. But this amazing overtake every lap people seem to want just doesn't loving happen. And didn't happen.

If you have an example of a season like this please tell me.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I've watched a lot of older seasons at this point.

Very few races were as exciting as Melbourne.

Obviously there's standouts. But this amazing overtake every lap people seem to want just doesn't loving happen. And didn't happen.

If you have an example of a season like this please tell me.

83 if you had a turbo that had a poo poo qualifying/start but the most exciting part of that season was Keke clinging on to the back end of the turbo field lap after lap and then forcing somebody into an error which again is what this appears to be close to.

Hungary 86 is a great example where the whole race was a build up over one major pass and you'd just get more tense watching lap after lap as Piquet had a go at Senna every single lap.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In the glory days of F1 the overtakes happened because the guy you were racing had broken down or was on fire.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Hot take: if you think that race was boring, your opinions are bad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

NASCAR starts at 3:50 EST if you want to watch cars constantly pass each other for three hours.
Pretty sure NASCAR is on its last legs now too, as evidenced by the fact that they lost Spongebob Squarepants and Cheez-It as race sponsors.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

learnincurve posted:

In the glory days of F1 the overtakes happened because the guy you were racing had broken down or was on fire.
That's not quite true. Because every nanosecond of a driver's race strategy wasn't pre-calculated and micromanaged using a monster Excel spreadsheet, you also had far more variation in performance over a race and more instances of drivers-in-fast-cars wasting their inherent speed by being on the wrong strategy. Or somebody would fly on saturday then lack the pace on Sunday, or be nowhere on Saturday and find the right setup on Sunday.

Now generally the guys who are fastest on Saturday, are fastest in the opening part of the race and fastest at the end. Rain or eating your tyres are only time there's any real swing.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 26, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Well I'm very confused.

I watched during the late 2000s and I am pleased to see a Ferrari win?
I watched during the early 2010s and I am pleased to see Vettel win?

Wtf is wrong with me?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

That's not quite true. Because every nanosecond of a driver's race strategy wasn't pre-calculated and micromanaged using a monster Excel spreadsheet, you also had far more variation in performance over a race and more instances of drivers-in-fast-cars wasting their inherent speed by being on the wrong strategy. Or somebody would fly on saturday then lack the pace on Sunday, or be nowhere on Saturday and find the right setup on Sunday.

Now generally the guys who are fastest on Saturday, are fastest in the opening part of the race and fastest at the end. Rain or eating your tyres are only time there's any real swing.

Ferrari didn't pre calculate this strategy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

McGuinty posted:

Wow, seems I went to bed at exactly the right time to avoid a tide of negativity about what was an exciting race to watch. Was it Canada 2011 exciting? No, but it doesn't need to be in order to be worth watching.

Edit: seems to me Kmag has gotten worse since his crash at Spa last year

Canada 2011 was boring as gently caress because most of it was spent pissing away time on red flags. It was an incredible race, but if every race was like that F1 would be an unmitigated shitshow. F1 is not a sport for people who want wall-to-wall drama, those people should watch some other ADD-friendly sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Will Buxton nailed it

https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/status/845945427706839040

• Locked thread