Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Shame the melee in this game feels so janky thanks to the lovely p2p hosting.

I've been trying to figure it what's going on with the janky melee and it really is just... weird. Sometimes you seemingly track mooks as their shoddy AI totally ignores you and your character will lock to them as they move, other times you'll punch them, turn your character to punch them again and mysteriously snap 180 and punch air. It's really frustrating sometimes -- there have been multiple occasions where i've just swung wildly at air for three punches or so because my guy just won't loving turn around.

I could certainly buy it being shite netcode thanks in part to p2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I feel like the tracking has been a bit better and I haven't had those weird-rear end camera snaps as often since I've been holding back while meleeing, like just holding S while mashing F. Otherwise my guy seems to push left of where I'm actually aiming. I think it might have to do with the models colliding and your character trying to keep moving past them so he kinda slides against the enemy? I have no evidence for any of this though and I might just be insane.

But yea, the melee tracking and camera snaps are frustrating as hell right now, but manageable enough. Hope it gets fixed a bit. Seems to happen even as host so I'm not sure how much is network.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
As it stands juggernaut shield builds of various kinds are probably the best way to earn currency right now until you get good guns/they patch guns to be better. If you have a juggernaut shield and a human vanguard X you can function in gold just fine as soon as you max out barrier/charge. Ideally you'd have an asari adept buffing everyone's damage and also contributing her own silly amounts of melee, and an infiltrator of some kind to make device objectives easier.

As for melee janky-ness I try to take a step back and realign myself to target before throwing another punch but it doesn't always work. And I STILL haven't figured out what key I need to press to break Adhi grabs. It just says "press key" and people here and on reddit have posted that it's both the use and melee keys, but it feels like neither of mine work. For now I'm just going to prioritize using Charge on Adhis above all else.

Speaking of which, there's no reason to fight anything other than Outlaws if you're farming gold, is there?. Remnant and Kett feel a lot more dangerous to melee players.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wilekat posted:

I've been trying to figure it what's going on with the janky melee and it really is just... weird. Sometimes you seemingly track mooks as their shoddy AI totally ignores you and your character will lock to them as they move, other times you'll punch them, turn your character to punch them again and mysteriously snap 180 and punch air. It's really frustrating sometimes -- there have been multiple occasions where i've just swung wildly at air for three punches or so because my guy just won't loving turn around.

I could certainly buy it being shite netcode thanks in part to p2p.

The melee does appear to have a kind of soft-lock that will snap you to target; I assume to compensate for the animation priority locking your character's movement while you melee. But like everything else in the game that requires thin timing, it gets totally shithoused by the awful hosting system.

The lesson is, always be the host. It doesn't fix everything, but it helps.

Nechronic posted:

As it stands juggernaut shield builds of various kinds are probably the best way to earn currency right now until you get good guns/they patch guns to be better. If you have a juggernaut shield and a human vanguard X you can function in gold just fine as soon as you max out barrier/charge. Ideally you'd have an asari adept buffing everyone's damage and also contributing her own silly amounts of melee, and an infiltrator of some kind to make device objectives easier.

As for melee janky-ness I try to take a step back and realign myself to target before throwing another punch but it doesn't always work. And I STILL haven't figured out what key I need to press to break Adhi grabs. It just says "press key" and people here and on reddit have posted that it's both the use and melee keys, but it feels like neither of mine work. For now I'm just going to prioritize using Charge on Adhis above all else.

Speaking of which, there's no reason to fight anything other than Outlaws if you're farming gold, is there?. Remnant and Kett feel a lot more dangerous to melee players.

The Vanquisher Sniper Rifle out damages Melee builds, but you need decent aim to get the full value. I expect melee will fall off a fair bit once equipment rotates and Power/Gun users get their upgrades.

To break the Adhi grabs you need to TAP the use key, like a QTE. It takes four or five quick taps to break out.

And yeah, no reason to fight anything other than Outlaws. They removed the credit/XP bonuses for random so there is literally no reason to fight the harder factions unless you want the achievements/are bored.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 26, 2017

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Yeah Asari Adept + Vanguard combo is hilarious, just punches and explosions everywhere.

Outlaw does seem to be the easiest overall, and might even be for non-melee characters. They seem to have the weakest ultra, and I can't think of any unit they have that actually has a scary gimmick. The anarchist's incendiary AOE can hurt pretty hard, but it's not that bad, whereas the other two types have enemies that feel like way more of a threat.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I bought an advanced pack and got an avenger :negative:

Back to basics for a bit

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

moist turtleneck posted:

I bought an advanced pack and got an avenger :negative:

Back to basics for a bit

I bought a basic and got an Indra.

Indra's are still poo poo.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Sure do love crashing with 20 seconds til extraction.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So I just picked up the Avenger. Am I missing something about Stealth Grid or it just buggy as poo poo through P2P? Using the ability and having it wear off instantly and also do the same to anyone standing next to you is cool and good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wilekat posted:

So I just picked up the Avenger. Am I missing something about Stealth Grid or it just buggy as poo poo through P2P? Using the ability and having it wear off instantly and also do the same to anyone standing next to you is cool and good.

It's bugged. If you're not hosting it will often (maybe 50% of the time) end a second or two after activation. It's not totally useless, since it'll still shed aggro and gives you a second or two of breathing room, but yeah... always host.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I imagine the matchmaking servers are a sea of solo lobbies as far as the eye can see

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I imagine the matchmaking servers are a sea of solo lobbies as far as the eye can see

The wait is pretty long! The trick is to have at least one other person queue up with you. The system seems to heavily priorities lobbies with 2+ people in them for matchmaking.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

The melee does appear to have a kind of soft-lock that will snap you to target; I assume to compensate for the animation priority locking your character's movement while you melee. But like everything else in the game that requires thin timing, it gets totally shithoused by the awful hosting system.

The lesson is, always be the host. It doesn't fix everything, but it helps.

The Vanquisher Sniper Rifle out damages Melee builds, but you need decent aim to get the full value. I expect melee will fall off a fair bit once equipment rotates and Power/Gun users get their upgrades.

To break the Adhi grabs you need to TAP the use key, like a QTE. It takes four or five quick taps to break out.

And yeah, no reason to fight anything other than Outlaws. They removed the credit/XP bonuses for random so there is literally no reason to fight the harder factions unless you want the achievements/are bored.

I don't have a Vanquisher but I lucked into a Black Widow. Put that on a human soldier and its been a hell of a lot of fun, even comparing to the relative OPness of the melee Vanguard.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Skippy McPants posted:

It's bugged. If you're not hosting it will often (maybe 50% of the time) end a second or two after activation. It's not totally useless, since it'll still shed aggro and gives you a second or two of breathing room, but yeah... always host.

It's not ending, it's a visual glitch. You are still cloaked.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably 1/6/6/6/6 with...

Annihilation: Radius, Damage Attractor, Draining Field
Lance: Damage & Force, Anti-Shield, Shield-Powered
Offensive Biotics: Power Enhancement, Combo Detonation or Exposure, Biotic Expert
Barrier: Recuperative Barrier, Barrier Drain, Saving Barrier

Leave Annihilation on full time, dive into enemies, and Lance everything once to trigger a combo. There's a short cooldown on you Annihilation Primer before you can combo the same target, maybe about 3 seconds. Get a feel for it so that you're not wasting Lances on high HP targets. Use Throw as a backup detonator. Melee whenever your shields go down and keep on Lancin'.

Only quibble I'd make on that build is that Biotic Warrior might be a better call than Biotic Expert. They both give their bonuses for 3 seconds after using a power and I'm more likely to follow up a Lance with a melee than another Lance right away.

They're both good but Biotic Warrior is competitive.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Danger posted:

And you'll hear the decloaking sound when it actually ends.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Stickman posted:

And you'll hear the decloaking sound when it actually ends.

Oh thanks. Good to know! Messing with it this is definitely the case. That ain't so bad!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Captain Oblivious posted:

Only quibble I'd make on that build is that Biotic Warrior might be a better call than Biotic Expert. They both give their bonuses for 3 seconds after using a power and I'm more likely to follow up a Lance with a melee than another Lance right away.

They're both good but Biotic Warrior is competitive.

Considering you get shield restoration with melee attacks, this is the way to go. In gold I'm always jumping right into the middle of things, so the best way to stay alive is to punch people after detonating.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Anyone else unable to connect?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Piell posted:

That's what my ex-wife tells me.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Yeah, on Xbone. Can't get online.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Finished Nier:Automata and am starting this, what are the best classes or at least ones capable of playing Gold effectively? How's should I be spending my credits/grinding?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Thundercloud posted:

I had the game be stable for a bit and a group of pubbies who didn't suck. So I now have a level 13 soldier and an Avenger VIII.

Anyone up for doing the Silver APEX missions to help me get a Juggernaut shield to put on my Krogan when I get one?

PSN Thundercloud2013

edit - found out that you can't run an APEX mission in multiplayer is you are running a strike team mission at the same time.

Son of a bitch, is that why that one challenge never ticked off for me for extracting from an APEX mission? Ah well, not even the most annoying bug I've had thus far.

Been screwing around with a bunch of classes trying to find one that clicked with me. Was mostly focusing on Infiltrator since I got insanely lucky and picked up my precious Black Widow again, but looks like Asari adept is once again shooting ahead to be my favorite like it was in ME3 when I was in the MP. Still messing everything up with bubbles, just now the bubble is centered on me. Had a hilarious run with another Asari adept, a sentinel, and Krogan engineer; I think at one point everybody managed to trigger tech/biotic explosions simultaneously on separate enemies around me. Felt like I should have been standing in the middle of a mushroom cloud or something. Still a little shaky since I haven't played much ME multiplayer for a long time (missed a bunch of the crazy awesome classes apparently) but does feel like it's coming back to me finally. Just wish I had the collection of guns I had built up, feels a little hard to work out how to gear. I have the aforementioned Black Widow for sniping, and my adept is currently using a Remnant SMG called the Equalizer which seems to do a good job sanding faces off and not having to stop for more ammo. I did get the Venom shotgun which I hear everybody rave about, but have real issues getting it to blow up on target instead of bouncing past, any tips? I'll admit the thing is amusingly awesome when swarmed by packs of adhi/wraiths at least.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

InnercityGriot posted:

Finished Nier:Automata and am starting this, what are the best classes or at least ones capable of playing Gold effectively? How's should I be spending my credits/grinding?

Melee is currently OP. Vanguards/Asari Adepts are top tier right now. Grind out the APEX points until you get 120 which lets you buy the Juggernaut Shield equipment that gives +10% shields and +75% melee damage. Vanguard specced for melee damage (with the ability to restore shields on melee attacks) + nova, can handle gold even at level 6 without using a gun. Speaking of guns, many of them are poo poo. Either ignore them entirely in favor of melee or buy the top level packs and hope for something good, probably a sniper rifle.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

InnercityGriot posted:

Start working on your mission funds right now through strike teams, 120 gets you the juggernaut shield which is 10% shield 75% melee damage bonus.

Human Vanguard, Krogan Vanguard, and Asari Adept all have solid melee builds that can take you to gold. Krogan Gladiator too, if you get lucky. Anybody with stealth grid can do gold too.

Somewhere around 900k credits will max out your commons (including weapon mods) and give you a good base of uncommons, which is 90 bronze matches, 36 silvers or 16 gold matches. It goes by really fast once you get out of bronze.

Most people are playing Gold Outlaws as they're way easier than the other two, and there's no credit penalty for not playing random.

Most guns are Officially Bad(tm) right now. They need to do some balancing, but besides that the juggernaut shield is the only major equipment we have access to, so melee builds are king.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Where do I see to buy this juggernaut shield? I may be blind to a store menu

e: nm i see

AllDogsGoodDogs fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 26, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Uhh... was the server going down earlier a patch? People are insta dying on silver right now without letting people revive... bug or feature?

edit: Or am I in some game with weird modifiers?

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Servers are down, they haven't announced any patches or maintenance. Soooo, that's probably it for multiplayer today.

1-Up fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 26, 2017

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
People being unrevivable is an APEX mission modifier. 'One life to live' or something.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Vanquisher sniper rifle is strong, to strong, its one shotting mooks even on Silver and it has more than one shot before you have to reload.

If you get one, abuse it till they nerf it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So..... from reading the last few pages (I haven't been playing while I knock out SP), it really seems like the game balance is geared very heavily towards melee biotic characters.
Sure, Kroguard in ME3 was a literal tank, but it was far from the only effective way to play the game. I'm not really getting a sense of that 'many ways to play' from people's comments in here.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Till they give guns a tune up yes. Melee biotics with juggernaut shields seem absolutely the way to go at the moment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think there's no reason not to do Gold instead of Silver.

The fact that rounds can be so much faster now than in ME3 means you can finish round 3 of Gold in less than 7 minutes. And Gold doesn't change up rounds 1-3 much at all, you won't see any tough enemies.

Finishing round 3 on Gold will give you as much money (and I think as much XP) as Extracting on Silver, which usually takes 15-20 minutes.

e: Bought a Premium Specter Pack last night and got the N7 Eagle. It's a lot better than it was in ME3! It's more accurate and more damaging than the Revenant, using it to apply Incendiary Ammo for combos is nuts

precision fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 26, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Another wave 6 crash :argh:

I really wish the Charger wasn't so good, or the other weapons I have weren't so bad. I think I've used it for 40 character levels at this point and it's getting pretty boring. I've got a Vanquisher but I'm bad at sniping. Melee characters aren't really my thing. I've only unlocked two other shotguns, both which are bad, besides the starting shotgun.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Started on the Asari Adept and I loving love how the Hurricane melts things inside the field. That gun is so, so much fun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I decided to roll a couple of gold rounds and it's almost offensive how good a melee vanguard with a vanquisher is

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I just maxed out annihilation and once I catch up with krogan rage I'm going to tile my gladiator for a spin in gold. Af, pull, hammer smash is hilarious on bronze at least. I've rushed into or revived into encounters and taken out 4 to 5 mooks who were swarming an area singlehandedly.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
holy poo poo i would like some bronze or silver missions so i can get mission funds thank you game

all of my teams are disasters at this point other than one because i've has about 25 golds in a row. what the gently caress

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 26, 2017

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Is it possible to switch the order of skills on the multiplayer classes? I'm using the thumb buttons on my mouse for skills I use more often in single player, but that gets awkward on for example asari huntress with Lance on 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I told him what is the human engineer because I thought they dropped the deployable cover, is that the right class or is that a different class?

• Locked thread