Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

vwoosh

PARP

:prepop:

click to embiggen

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Im only half way to Sagg A, and I have the space madness

Friendship drive, charging...

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Friendship drive, charging...

If it's true that your life passes before your eyes just as you are dying then I've got about 10 seconds of heavily compressed "FSD charging" notifications to look forward to.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

apropos man posted:

If it's true that your life passes before your eyes just as you are dying then I've got about 10 seconds of heavily compressed "FSD charging" notifications to look forward to.

I laughed harder at that picture than I should have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

vwoosh

PARP

click to embiggen

That's awesome! I'm curious about 2 things. How long did it take you to scan them all and how much did you make from that system?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Internet Explorer posted:

That's awesome! I'm curious about 2 things. How long did it take you to scan them all and how much did you make from that system?

If he surface-scanned all those moons and asteroid belts, then we have an all-time winner for most space madness in one brain

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
for any new elite goons thinking about going to Quince just do it

i've made 13mil spacebuxx in a few short sessions today with a basic bitch hauler and have already gotten all the necessary factions up to cordial/friendly

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 26, 2017

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

coupedeville posted:

for any new elite goons thinking about going to Quince just do it

i've made 13mil spaxebuxx in a few short sessions today with a basic bitch hauler and have already gotten all the necessary factions up to cordial/friendly

Was the hauler helpful to do random missions unlock the local reps? I'm not sure what to bring out there initially, was thinking cobra

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

vwoosh

PARP

click to embiggen

This is what I usually see when I am trying very very hard to make as many LY/hour possible, yes.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Was the hauler helpful to do random missions unlock the local reps? I'm not sure what to bring out there initially, was thinking cobra

Once you're out there you can dock at Millerport and just buy a Sidewinder and SRV hangar, as they are both on sale there.

If you are interested in popping back into the bubble to do navy rank missions occasionally then it's best to take something with long legs and park it in station whilst you do the scans in your Sidewinder. I think the Hauler is also on sale at Millerport but can't be sure as I've always used a Sidewinder.

e: Just been looking some exploration advice threads and picked up a new word: kylies. As in, "I am currently 3 kylies outside the bubble".

apropos man fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 26, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Just found a genuine crash site this time, and a nice bit of story telling.

I'm gonna take these these two hustlers with me and give them a chance redeem their souls, obviously. Not their drugs though, the return journey should be long enough for them to cold turkey it out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I do wish there was something to do with escape pods and slaves except for selling/discarding them. Maybe return them to a jurisdiction where slavery is illegal for a local reputation boost?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I was just thinking "poo poo, there's no way to properly release them" as I headed back to my ship.

In the past I've docked at a large station and discarded the pods on the docking bay floor (or wherever they go to). This satisfies my mind that they have a chance to go free, but Frontier should really implement some way of humanely treating captured pods. We all theoretically end up in pods when we get blown up, so it's your CMDR's duty to give them a break.

They're sitting in the back of my Asp now, sulking.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

apropos man posted:

In the past I've docked at a large station and discarded the pods on the docking bay floor (or wherever they go to). This satisfies my mind that they have a chance to go free

This is amazing and you are a good person

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

I managed to get really lucky with RNG and got several "donate to the cause" missions from the local factions to quickly raise my relationship with them

I had already made my first 100mil before heading out to Quince so I had money to burn getting them to like me for the more valuable missions

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

apropos man posted:

Once you're out there you can dock at Millerport and just buy a Sidewinder and SRV hangar, as they are both on sale there.

I think the Hauler is also on sale at Millerport but can't be sure as I've always used a Sidewinder.

the sidewinder and hauler are both currently for sale in the shipyard at millerport in quince :eng101:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

This is amazing and you are a good person

You can't choose your family but you can choose your occupied escape pods.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zoom in, see the single water world. That's it. This was on the homeward leg of my colonia visit and I wasn't hanging around.

Escape pods; picked one up from a crash site past half way to the core, drove back to the Asp and realised I didn't take a cargo rack... Sorry buddy /discard

Rescue missions where you can take a pod in and put the occupant in a cabin, that would be a good addition.

Edit: new Quincers, if you need to build rep you can also visit the other station in the system, I hopped there and got a bunch of donations when the planetary station was all scans and massacres.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 26, 2017

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
You guys like stories from new players -- here's mine. I got elite shortly after I got a Vive. Now I have the horizons pass, a (cheap) HOTAS, VoiceAttack, and William Shatner as my copilot. I've put more real bucks into it than I would have expected, but Commander Dromio struggles to make it in space.

Started off pretty successful as a space courier -- doing Boom Data deliveries and not caring where he ended up. Built up a few hundred thousand credits, bought an Adder just because it was something different and affordable, and was having a pretty decent time. But then I got ambitious...

I read about how to be a bounty hunter, so I bought a Viper MKIII and outfitted it as best I could. I flew to a resource extraction site and warrant scanned and killed wanted ships. It seemed easy! But I think I'd lucked out and there were a LOT of cops around there. My first successful bounty run was my ONLY successful bounty run.

I tried picking up a "massacre" mission. I was the one who got massacred. Oh well, only ~$75k to come back. I tried to find another resource extraction site to bounty hunt (I couldn't remember the system I'd first tried). The bounties seemed much smaller, but it didn't matter because I got killed anyway. More money down the drain...

I started getting desperate. I picked up a "find the black box" mission. I few around forever looking for that drat box. I finally found it! Drop out of supercruise and open cargo scoop. Huh, was that another ship dropping out of supercruise too? Carefully scoop up the box, then suddenly BOOM! Destroyed by that other ship that was following me :( Never did find that black box again, and earned a fine (and more debt) for my failure.

I picked up a Boom delivery with my Adder just to try and dig out of the hole a little bit. Hmm. 150k for a delivery that's just a few jumps away. Seems great! Should have known there are no such slick deals in space. I just have to drop this stuff off at Wiley Vision in Ekonir. When I get to Ekonir, there's a Morey Vision, but no Wiley! I flew around forever, discovering more planets in Ekonir, but I still haven't found one with Wiley Vision on it. I did some internet search and see that it's way, way out from the second star, but I'd probably need an advanced discovery scanner to find it. A scanner I cannot afford.

So here I am, drifting around in Ekonir desperately looking for a planet I know exists but cannot see. Growing deeper and deeper in debt as the missions I've picked up fail around me. A courier pilot who had high hopes of expanding his career into other businesses and is paying the price for it.

Edit: Oh, and in my desperation I searched for Quince on the galaxy map. WOW that is far far away.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I heard Elite plays poorly on a Vive. Have you not been finding that?

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

Gort posted:

It's the only way I've played it, so I can't compare. It can be a little pixel-y, kind of hard to make out that distant space station. But I love it -- being able to lean forward and look out the windshield above me to get a better view just feels so cool. And once I got voiceattack set up alongside my HOTAS controls aren't really an issue.

Dromio fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 26, 2017

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Dromio posted:

I picked up a Boom delivery with my Adder just to try and dig out of the hole a little bit. Hmm. 150k for a delivery that's just a few jumps away. Seems great! Should have known there are no such slick deals in space. I just have to drop this stuff off at Wiley Vision in Ekonir. When I get to Ekonir, there's a Morey Vision, but no Wiley! I flew around forever, discovering more planets in Ekonir, but I still haven't found one with Wiley Vision on it. I did some internet search and see that it's way, way out from the second star, but I'd probably need an advanced discovery scanner to find it. A scanner I cannot afford.

So here I am, drifting around in Ekonir desperately looking for a planet I know exists but cannot see. Growing deeper and deeper in debt as the missions I've picked up fail around me. A courier pilot who had high hopes of expanding his career into other businesses and is paying the price for it.

Scan the nav beacon, bro.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Dromio posted:

So here I am, drifting around in Ekonir desperately looking for a planet I know exists but cannot see.

if you get to a system for a mission and have incomplete information in your nav panel you should look for a nav beacon around the star you jump in next to, drop out of supercruise next to the nav beacon and target and scan it to fill in blanks in your navigation info and it should give you what you need

e:f,b

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Gort posted:

I have it on good authority that if you hack the UI to be green instead of amber it looks sharper on the vive because the green subpixels are smaller or something

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

StuG Jeebus posted:

Scan the nav beacon, bro.

I'm pretty sure I tried that and was surprised when it didn't work. I'll try again today if I get a chance.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You have to scan the beacon in normal space. Fly to the marker, drop out, target the actual object on your radar and scan it.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm about 500 ly and 40 jumps out of Quince. Money is no issue because Frontier gifted me with like 40 million after those first big combat nerfs last year (I got utterly hosed by the changes and subsequent rebuys. I think I may have been an unofficial beta tester because they hooked me up for my troubles, or I was the only one on Xbox still slamming his head against the CZ wall during that period and they decided to throw me a bone for being an idiot), so I'm already too drat rich so gently caress it.

Are Quince exploits still popping enough right now to be worth the hour trip and are there any more you all would like to share?

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 26, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dromio posted:

I'm pretty sure I tried that and was surprised when it didn't work. I'll try again today if I get a chance.

Drop out of SC at the nav beacon and scan it then, should show the system.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Throwing this out there again, if anyone is going to go hard on Quince then don't buy a Sidewinder or Hauler once you're there; outfit something faster before you go and have it delivered. I used the Imperial Eagle, but I figure the regular Eagle is fine too if you don't have even a basic Imperial rank for the former. By my estimates, it took around 1500 missions to go from rank 1 to rank 14, or about 75 runs. You will appreciate the speed and agility cutting down on the time spent scanning and landing, and the added rebuy cost is still peanuts to the monster payouts.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have it on good authority that if you hack the UI to be green instead of amber it looks sharper on the vive because the green subpixels are smaller or something

Once again GreenPOS supremacy :smug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
U know it buddy :hfive:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I use the oculus debug tool to set the per pixel density to 2.0 and that really rocks, for any rift owners. Works with any game too :)

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

Angrymog posted:

Drop out of SC at the nav beacon and scan it then, should show the system.

It's a dual-star system. There is a nav beacon by Ekonir A. I scanned that and got "no new astronomical objects detected". I flew out to Ekonir B and couldn't find any nav beacon there :(. Or am I doing the wrong kind of scanning?

The image from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/215196-Morey-Vision-Wiley-Vision-bug shows 3 more planets on Ekonir B than I currently have.

It's a lost cause at this point anyway. I only have 2 hours to complete the mission and I can't play anymore until tonight.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Dromio posted:

It's a dual-star system. There is a nav beacon by Ekonir A. I scanned that and got "no new astronomical objects detected". I flew out to Ekonir B and couldn't find any nav beacon there :(. Or am I doing the wrong kind of scanning?

The image from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/215196-Morey-Vision-Wiley-Vision-bug shows 3 more planets on Ekonir B than I currently have.

It's a lost cause at this point anyway. I only have 2 hours to complete the mission and I can't play anymore until tonight.

Getting "no new astronomical objects detected" sounds like you're trying to use a discovery scanner. No, you just target the beacon and scan it just like a ship. It will tell you system map is updated. It will update the entire system.

e: just to make sure you're not missing this point too, you have to drop out of supercruise at the nav beacon, just like you drop out at a station. There will be a beacon floating in space there. Target it and let it scan.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

Natsuumi posted:

Getting "no new astronomical objects detected" sounds like you're trying to use a discovery scanner. No, you just target the beacon and scan it just like a ship. It will tell you system map is updated. It will update the entire system.

drat! So simple.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I actually had no idea that was something you had to do and I did probably like 30 data and courier missions before heading to Quince, so thank you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Natsuumi posted:

I never knew this, thanks!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sard posted:

Throwing this out there again, if anyone is going to go hard on Quince then don't buy a Sidewinder or Hauler once you're there; outfit something faster before you go and have it delivered. I used the Imperial Eagle, but I figure the regular Eagle is fine too if you don't have even a basic Imperial rank for the former. By my estimates, it took around 1500 missions to go from rank 1 to rank 14, or about 75 runs. You will appreciate the speed and agility cutting down on the time spent scanning and landing, and the added rebuy cost is still peanuts to the monster payouts.

I think the argument is to use a sidewinder and just crash into the planet when you're done instead of flying back. Makes things quicker.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I use the oculus debug tool to set the per pixel density to 2.0 and that really rocks, for any rift owners. Works with any game too :)
drat, what GPU are you running that on? And what in-game settings?
The one really unfortunate thing about Elite's visuals are all the jaggies, which sadly even a ton of supersampling can't get rid of it seems.

Morter posted:

Not to oversell the frogs, but...
The frogs are cool. Only downside to the organisation as it stands is that the main comms method they use is Discord, which is a bit of a pain for us VR-ers as it's mostly just text chat. But maybe someday Frontier will get around to implementing some in-game organisation comms features. Haha. Ha. ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

I think the argument is to use a sidewinder and just crash into the planet when you're done instead of flying back. Makes things quicker.

You can and should do that with the Eagle too; the point of using a faster ship is to speed up the first part of the task, which is flying around scanning points of interest before the outpost that you have to land at is spawned. Sometimes you luck out and the scanning is done in seconds, but usually there's a couple dozen kilometers of flying involved which is kind of tedious in a Sidewinder or Hauler barely upgraded with what's available at Millerport.

Plus you can overheat an Imperial Eagle by just maneuvering hard, which is pretty rad.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2017

• Locked thread