Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

simplefish posted:

Well I'm very confused.

I watched during the late 2000s and I am pleased to see a Ferrari win?
I watched during the early 2010s and I am pleased to see Vettel win?

Wtf is wrong with me?

You watched during the mid 2010s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I know they've said they'll take a look at the state of things after China and decide if they need to change the way DRS or KERS are implemented--if it's just too hard to pass, they might decide to change something up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem I have with people who claim to be in the HARDCORE FANBASE harping on about how the cars were better back in my day is "well go loving watch them race then". F1 classics races are a thing in the UK and Germany (I think there is someone touring Europe with them as well) and there are plenty of single seater race series knocking about at local tracks if you want to go watch them. But 10 people and a dog go to donnington and 100 million people watch the F1, so people who don't like the current direction can, as we say here. "Do one"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The problem I have with people who claim to be in the HARDCORE FANBASE harping on about how the cars were better back in my day is "well go loving watch them race then". F1 classics races are a thing in the UK and Germany (I think there is someone touring Europe with them as well) and there are plenty of single seater race series knocking about at local tracks if you want to go watch them. But 10 people and a dog go to donnington and 100 million people watch the F1, so people who don't like the current direction can, as we say here. "Do one"

The other problem with those folks is that literally nothing in the entire world is immune from change.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If the season ends up being a snooze I'd full expect Brawn and Liberty to make sweeping changes next year.

Reduction in areo. Focus more on mechanical grip. Kill DRS. KERS is fine honestly, and adds a strategy element I quite enjoy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/845874665910358016

F1 2017: it was worth it for Nico

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

If the season ends up being a snooze I'd full expect Brawn and Liberty to make sweeping changes next year.

This would be far and away the worst possible thing to do.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bold prediction: Cosworth returns with a hybrid customer engine

The big question for formula 1 on the politics side is just how many people and companies are not involved with the sport because they didn't want to do deals with Bernie.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Glad the thread just leaves the obvious disparaging comments about lollylolpalmer on the table.
Someone who gets shown up by loving Kmag of all people, to such an extent people think Kmag was good in comparison.

Stroll is laughably not ready for F1 but at least that's entertaining to watch. Someone who under-performs by seconds whilst moaning about the car should just be shot.
F1 needs summary executions.
And sprinklers.

In Palmer's defence, he was outperforming KMAG in the back half of the season.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
People are scum.

I enjoyed the race even though I passed out for about 10 laps cause it was 2am and I'd been up since 7am but otherwise it was great. The only disappointment was Ricciardo failed to start his home grand prix. That's a soft spot for me... doesn't matter if I hate the driver or not if it's their home race then I hope they can go out and have a proper go.

Except Stroll. He's a national embarassment and I hope Williams comes to their senses and drop him. That was just completely embarassing. He wasn't racing, he was just fighting to keep the car under his control. He'd probably have done well if it was the easier going GP2 cars from the prior formula but he needs to go back in the incubator and maybe in another 4 to 5 years he'll have emerged to fulfill his actual destiny as the son of a billionaire.... couple mediocre seasons of F1, retire, and then go into your real passion of becoming a DJ or something.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
IT'S JUST SQUIRE

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Lollylol Palmer makes me giggle like a little boy

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Norns posted:

Vettle coming out of the pits in front of Hamilton. Camera cuts to Toto punching the table.

Like how the gently caress can you not like that?

It was good for racing. It's good to see Ferrari challenging Mercedes. It's good to see a teenage road hog screwing things up, because, hell, teenagers deserve the poo poo they get. It gave the race its only interesting moment. It's just that Vettel is such a Teutonic turd that I am willing to cheer for the cranky Iceman over him (at least everyone seemed in good spirits at the end of the race).

Still, hopefully we will have some good racing at the top, and maybe Haas will have one competitive driver (the other may not last even half a season).

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I am fairly sure Jolyon Palmer will not be an F1 driver next year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

George Zimmer posted:

I am fairly sure Jolyon Palmer will not be an F1 driver next year.

I said this last year and well....

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 26, 2017

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Excuse me I heard people talking poo poo about Kimi "The Ice Man" Raikkonen in this thread and I'd just like to remind you all that he did the fastest lap ergo he is the fastest driver and you best back off ok

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just wish Kimi could be bothered to give a gently caress for the entire race rather than just grab a fastest lap at the end and spend the rest of the time thinking about what he's going to spend his earnings on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

This would be far and away the worst possible thing to do.

I doubt it will happen with the loving token system gone! Just saying with new owners...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Thanks Ants posted:

I just wish Kimi could be bothered to give a gently caress for the entire race rather than just grab a fastest lap at the end and spend the rest of the time thinking about what he's going to spend his earnings on.

Is this your first time watching Kimi race or something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll never give up hoping

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Vando posted:

Excuse me I heard people talking poo poo about Kimi "The Ice Man" Raikkonen in this thread and I'd just like to remind you all that he did the fastest lap ergo he is the fastest driver and you best back off ok

Yeah. No.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
MotoGP is extremely good right now btw

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Norns posted:

I doubt it will happen with the loving token system gone! Just saying with new owners...

New moaners?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Vando posted:

If anything that underlines his lack of effort. Capable of putting in the fastest lap but still 22 seconds slower than his teammate

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah that was a great race today. 2017 is going to be a good year for racing I think.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
RIP Zarco, although he looked great when he wasnt on the ground

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Are we allowed to talk about actual good racing in this thread? Isn't that probatable like rivals.com puns?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Why is Red Bull so racist against Australians?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Someone has created a really convincing fake F1 account on YouTube, and has put race highlights and other goodies on it, the same day as the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q
FOM must be writing such a hard C&D letter right now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

Someone has created a really convincing fake F1 account on YouTube, and has put race highlights and other goodies on it, the same day as the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q
FOM must be writing such a hard C&D letter right now.

This is fantastic. Bernie, you got greedy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also Nico is Cool and Good and Ferrari is Cool and Good

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

My point was more that changing everything is what put us in this situation to begin with. Implementing brand new regulations just gives Mercedes (or maybe another team!) another chance at building a huge gap again.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed that race

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just watched the race, happy for vettel despite being a HAM fan. It was a good race.

Op updated with GP Prediction results, expected more from hASS.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 27, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Geez, good predictions. I got about 50 points, of course I was for a Vettel win and Lewis second but Riccy hosed me along with some others.

Great race. F1 is lot about context, its a great race for fans that have been following for years and understand what this could mean. Casuals that just switch it on and want to see more overtakes, F1 isn't for casuals. There is lots of series racing and hey those stadium trucks are amazing, go watch those.

Man, it was almost unbearable in the stands. Spitting with rain now and then but in the direct sun hot as gently caress, so it was very steamy. Felt like being in Thailand or Vietnam, not Melbourne.

I took this about 10 mins before quali with my phone

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
.. i used the join link again and it fixed itself

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 27, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferrari 1-2 in China, lets do this!!!!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm genuinely curious what people's expectations are regarding races. You had a car that wasn't on pole push the lead car for a considerable stint at the beginning, arguable forcing the lead car to ruin their tires and then still had the pace to push while in clean air. It was a great build up over strategy and being able to push and Seb chasing Lewis in the early part of the race looked awesome. If you want to see a million passes go watch races at a rental kart place.

Not that I'm complaining, but I would like to see the 2nd place car pace the first place car on the track. However, this is F1 and I can accept that doesn't happen anymore.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

TurboDrizzle posted:

Just watched the race, happy for vettel despite being a HAM fan. It was a good race.

Op updated with GP Prediction results, expected more from hASS.

Wait a minute, there's two 'The Worst Thread' leagues. One with 27 people and the other with 40 people.

There's a guy in the 27 person one who has a score of 105, in which case he would top your list if he was in the right league :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
FOM is still pulling lots of youtubes and streamables. Bernie is not dead. But until he gets around to this one, here:

https://streamable.com/v9nrm

• Locked thread