Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well good news, not only is season 2 a lock, the show's ratings went from mediocre to really drat good for FX.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/legion-premiere-live3-ratings-record-fx-1201910846/

Show's seen a pretty big surge in viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Finally got to watch this week's ep. I was worried things were slowing down, but, holy poo poo, so much cool stuff in that episode.

A standout for me was that really excellent take on Ravel's Bolero. It's a pretty overused song in film and TV but that was such a great, scene accompanying arrangement, and they milked it to great effect for like seven minutes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Saw beauty and the beast this weekend and couldn't help but think the whole thing is taking place in davids mind. He was also channeling Patrick Stewart in his dictation as the beast.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno if anyone else thinks this is cool but I watched e1-7 in two sittings with my buddy who has been medicated for schizophrenia since he was 14 (now 30ish) and he says the audio distortion is pitch perfectly tuned to replicate what 'hearing voices' sounds like. Sometimes they are a little fast or too slow but that's always depending on David's mood and the layering of the cacophony of voices was especially reminiscent of his own experience. He believes that they must have had someone with an audio-hallucinative disorder as a consultant because he says it's waaaaaaay too on the nose to be accidental.

So this show actually does the best job of simulating schizophrenia on TV, according to a real schizophrenic.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does he get triggered by it? Watching this show with a mental disorder would be weird. I mean besides whatever the gently caress disorder I have.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Invalid Validation posted:

Does he get triggered by it? Watching this show with a mental disorder would be weird. I mean besides whatever the gently caress disorder I have.

I put the 1st episode on while he was cooking us dinner andby the end of it he told me that he couldn't remember a TV show ever making him that uncomfortable before because it triggered him so terribly, and that was why we had to watch the whole thing pretty much right now. He said trying to address mental illness in TV is kind of like "going full retard" to quote Tropic Thunder... like it absolutely can be done, but the idea is that its so easy to do it wrong and so very hard to do it right that most attempts fail utterly, so this show not only depicting a schizophrenic but accurately recreating the sensations of being insane for the viewers at home took it to a whole 'nother level.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well good news, not only is season 2 a lock, the show's ratings went from mediocre to really drat good for FX.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/legion-premiere-live3-ratings-record-fx-1201910846/

Show's seen a pretty big surge in viewers.

That's an old article from a month ago.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

I put the 1st episode on while he was cooking us dinner andby the end of it he told me that he couldn't remember a TV show ever making him that uncomfortable before because it triggered him so terribly, and that was why we had to watch the whole thing pretty much right now. He said trying to address mental illness in TV is kind of like "going full retard" to quote Tropic Thunder... like it absolutely can be done, but the idea is that its so easy to do it wrong and so very hard to do it right that most attempts fail utterly, so this show not only depicting a schizophrenic but accurately recreating the sensations of being insane for the viewers at home took it to a whole 'nother level.

It's not just the schizophrenia. The episode where David is given bipolar in Farouk's/Lenny's asylum simulation is very on point, as is making a list based on logic (cognative behavioral) to help work through issues. Someone did their loving homework on mental illness and is actually depicting it accurately from the inside out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
loving LOL at Episode 7 and the rational mind being British ( Dan Stevens is super British although I don't think that is his actual voice). I'm watching this on Hulu so I am always a few days behind.

Also, I liked that they basically said he is Xaviers son in this show they even had the wheelchair.

Wow, this is fantastic. He even does a Patrick Stewart impression.

:tviv:

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

So this show actually does the best job of simulating schizophrenia on TV, according to a real schizophrenic.

You aren't kidding, this show does a wonderful job of making the VIEWER feel as crazy as David.

This is a really unique show, I can't think of anything at all like it. It might also be the most unique superhero related thing outside of comic books so far, too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 27, 2017

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you sure your friend doesn't have superpowers?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

nooneofconsequence posted:

Are you sure your friend doesn't have superpowers is real?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hollismason posted:

loving LOL at Episode 7 and the rational mind being British ( Dan Stevens is super British although I don't think that is his actual voice). I'm watching this on Hulu so I am always a few days behind.

Wow, this is fantastic. He even does a Patrick Stewart impression.

i laughed a lot at that and then had to explain myself to the people i was watching with

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The dialogue for this is so loving good. Best I've seen in a long time. I could have listened to Oliver and Cary talk in the beginning forever, and that was an expositional scene! Noah Hawley makes me wanna see expositional scenes! Wtf.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've only ever seen Aubrey Plaza play the quiet creepy Lydia Dietz waifu on P&R and one other thing I can't remember so watching her go balls-2-the-walls in this show is immensely (and viscerally) satisfying. You get the sense that the actress knows how to really convey "I can finally cut loose and just do my own thing as hard as I want" because this show is to her what David's powers are to Shadow King

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Legion's so good

quote:

Should fans expect more connections to stories from the X-Men world?

As we do with Fargo fans who are really familiar with that world, they appreciate certain connections and being rewarded for knowing the story so well. At the same time, my goal is to always use character as a way to have a conversation, and tell a story that was my story and was interesting to me to try and get to the heart of who this character is and this journey for him without re-enacting storylines from the comic book. So you won't see the show suddenly be beholden to the comic books for storyline, but you may see ideas, characters or images that are familiar to you.

The rest of the interview with Hawley here: http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-27/leading-legion-finale-noah-hawley-talks-x-men-inspirations-casting-and-more

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I've only ever seen Aubrey Plaza play the quiet creepy Lydia Dietz waifu on P&R and one other thing I can't remember so watching her go balls-2-the-walls in this show is immensely (and viscerally) satisfying. You get the sense that the actress knows how to really convey "I can finally cut loose and just do my own thing as hard as I want" because this show is to her what David's powers are to Shadow King
She was fantastic in Parks, sorry you missed out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

She was fantastic in Parks, sorry you missed out.

I'm saying yes she's great there, but as someone whose watched all 7 season 2-3 times, she is almost defined by her reserved mannerism and monotone delivery. We get the teeeeeeensiest little glimpses of her behind the mask like a handful of times at the end, and a bunch of haughty teen angst stuff up front when she starts dating Andy... but we get more expression and range from her in the first episode of Legion than we get from, literally the entire run of parks & Rec, that's why I'm so into her character here.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

This scene made me laugh a lot because it made me realize that Dennis Reynolds is clearly David Haller's more insane son.

https://youtu.be/VeX-eXBw3D0

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Interesting that when asked about why the Shadow King/Devil With The Yellow Eyes looked like Mojo, Hawley didn't bring up that--in the comics--Shadow King's long-term host bodies (at least) are usually really really fat because of SK's innate lack of self-control. That includes Farouk.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't really see the Mojo comparison, they don't look much alike.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

Yellow eyes -> yellow body.
Fat.

You know how it goes. Lotsa people struggling to fit in any character they can because "fans".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oasx posted:

The resemblance isn't any more of a stretch than it is to what Shadow King looks like in the comics.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 28, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Interesting that when asked about why the Shadow King/Devil With The Yellow Eyes looked like Mojo, Hawley didn't bring up that--in the comics--Shadow King's long-term host bodies (at least) are usually really really fat because of SK's innate lack of self-control. That includes Farouk.

Yup, that's actual comic book cannon. SK's such a hedonist that after a couple of decades his host invariably ends up a buttertub. :btroll:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What awards could Aubrey Plaza be up for from this show? I'm going to be take a conservative stance and say all of them.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Grem posted:

What awards could Aubrey Plaza be up for from this show? I'm going to be take a conservative stance and say all of them.

I think you're right. She'll probably be this year's Tatiana Maslany and get a bunch of critic awards, more to follow every year with a belated Emmy for Legion Season 4 or whatever.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Actually, she's way more famous than Maslany was, she'll probably get an Emmy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm saying yes she's great there, but as someone whose watched all 7 season 2-3 times, she is almost defined by her reserved mannerism and monotone delivery. We get the teeeeeeensiest little glimpses of her behind the mask like a handful of times at the end, and a bunch of haughty teen angst stuff up front when she starts dating Andy... but we get more expression and range from her in the first episode of Legion than we get from, literally the entire run of parks & Rec, that's why I'm so into her character here.

Parks and Rec is great but particularly for the cast who had been there since the beginning, a lot of the storylines are retreads. How many times did they do "April is maturing and wanting to become X"?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

punchymcpunch posted:

Actually, she's way more famous than Maslany was, she'll probably get an Emmy.

I feel like this show is only going to get significant recognition in its second season. It's kinda under the radar currently.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Emmy voters are not going to give a poo poo about a superhero show

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, totally apt description of this show. :rolleyes:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah, totally apt description of this show. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how apt a description it is. That's how it's going to be.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

mr robot is a superhero

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just caught up last night and don't have anything clever or worthwhile to add besides: wow.

Also this show is getting massive buzz so I'd be real surprised if Plaza or Stevens don't get nominated for their categories at the Emmys. Plaza is dominating critics impressions with her amazing performance but I think Rachel Keller is also putting in an excellent performance and that her and Stevens have a warm chemistry that really makes you buy in to their relationship.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Yellow eyes -> yellow body.
Fat.

You know how it goes. Lotsa people struggling to fit in any character they can because "fans".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The resemblance isn't any more of a stretch than it is to what Shadow King looks like in the comics.

I'm not familiar with the comic book version of the Shadow King, but on this show, both his and The Angriest Boy in the World's look and design remind me most of the aesthetics of some of the creatures and characters from Floyd's The Wall movie. I'm curious if that's specifically the case, as Floyd has been a big influence in other ways for Hawley with the making of Legion.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This show really transcends that genre.

I can't think of a single thing even remotely similar to Legion. The only comparisons at all are Lynch and Kubrick, and really it's mostly on the visual side of things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

This show really transcends that genre.

I can't think of a single thing even remotely similar to Legion. The only comparisons at all are Lynch and Kubrick, and really it's mostly on the visual side of things.

This is how I felt about Hannibal, but award show voters didn't care about that either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legion really isn't a "superhero" show in any meaningful sense except that it comes from a comic book.

Like, you can categorize it that way because of "mutants" and powers but its a psychological character piece and is closer in genre to shows like Mad Men, Six Feet Under, or Sopranos then Agents of Shield, Arrow, or Daredevil.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

savinhill posted:

I'm not familiar with the comic book version of the Shadow King, but on this show, both his and The Angriest Boy in the World's look and design remind me most of the aesthetics of some of the creatures and characters from Floyd's The Wall movie. I'm curious if that's specifically the case, as Floyd has been a big influence in other ways for Hawley with the making of Legion.
I'm holding out hope we get something like this at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M0uTIt3zA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This is how I felt about Hannibal, but award show voters didn't care about that either.

But Hannibal was morose and dark and left people feeling uncomfortable. This is much more playful, with an almost Worhol-like love affair with pop culture.

My friend doesn't like it. I think he thinks the plot is silly, because superheros. I think that the reason I love the show is that art is being made here. Who cares about the genre?

He loves Star Wars. And doesn't find that silly. I don't think he's an art fan.