Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Rosberg family's TV placement is eye searingly awful right in the middle of a bright window.

It's almost like they are watching the race live out of their motor home.

...also, obviously Nico is in charge of the decor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Yeah god forbid you ever let the light of day touch your face :rolleyes:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah god forbid you ever let the light of day touch your face :rolleyes:

Don't goon shame

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/overtaking-almost-impossible-during-australian-gp-887102/

This would almost be credible if it wasn't made by Hulkenberg in a Renault who somehow ended up behind a McLaren Honda.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Honestly, I love the way these new cars look and I love the speed. Until the novelty of that wears off, I like F1 as it currently stands. If we keep having a decent fight for the championship, I'll continue liking it regardless.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm a fan of pit strategy wins so the formula works for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

Not the fan F1 needs, but the fan F1 deserves

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

My gut feeling is that it's going to be like '83 where pit strategy determined most the races at the front and there was only one or two every race. It's great racing but I think people will need to get used to it and the commentators are going to need to not be poo poo.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Norns posted:

There's not a version of this-is-fine.jpg big enough to post in response to this.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

My gut feeling is that it's going to be like '83 where pit strategy determined most the races at the front and there was only one or two every race. It's great racing but I think people will need to get used to it and the commentators are going to need to not be poo poo.

This is and was true for most races from 1980 to 2011 with moments where its not being exhilarating exceptions.
There's a reason one of Murray's enduring catchphrases (for years) was "it's one thing catching another car in F1, a very very different thing overtaking"

We need more than one race where cars held station for other reasons, to draw conclusions.
The media is just poo poo and wants a story.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 27, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Solid race for results, not as much for actual racing but it is F1.

I am already sick of "overcut" and hope they choke to death on that term.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not looking forward to yet another season of trying to decide if I hate commercials more than I hate Sky's coverage.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

NtotheTC posted:

There's not a version of this-is-fine.jpg big enough to post in response to this.

I just enjoy the strategy elements of racing, and think there's a lot more to it than just passing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I'm not looking forward to yet another season of trying to decide if I hate commercials more than I hate Sky's coverage.

Just watch it with no commercials and let the hate flow through you.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

What exactly is the issue? Because we're now in a situation that it looks like multiple cars can win a race on pure pace. Are you watching the sport specifically to see the motion of one car passing another? Because if so you should go stand on top of a freeway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dreesemonkey posted:

I am already sick of "overcut" and hope they choke to death on that term.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

the commentators are going to need to not be poo poo.

And Honda will have the best engine by the end of 2017.

I'm so goddamn angry BMW have told F1 to go gently caress itself and are messing around with Formula E. Now more than ever we need the de facto engine savants back in the sport.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Khablam posted:

let the hate flow through you.
The fan F1 needs

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
To be fair after watching Honda eat poo poo in public for three straight years would you okay an F1 engine project?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

And Honda will have the best engine by the end of 2017.

I'm so goddamn angry BMW have told F1 to go gently caress itself and are messing around with Formula E. Now more than ever we need the de facto engine savants back in the sport.

BMW was never very successful though? I'd hardly call them Savants.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair after watching Honda eat poo poo in public for three straight years would you okay an F1 engine project?

Yes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bad engine projects have always existed regardless of Formula.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Maybe Toyota wants to come back!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Maybe Toyota wants to come back!

I really want this mostly because I'm being given some poo poo Corolla and some sex appeal attached to that brand would be nice

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

Aren't the BMW turbo quali engines from the 80s still the most powerful F1 engines ever made? Didn't they win a championship or two?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was basing it more on their last effort. But yes, Piquet won the WDC with them in 1983 and arguably could have in 1984. The BMW was tremendously powerful but only Brabham, Benetton, and to a lesser extent the late 80s Arrows could get it to work. The engine had a brutal power curve and was also a huge grenade.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Aren't the BMW turbo quali engines from the 80s still the most powerful F1 engines ever made? Didn't they win a championship or two?

People only remember when they came back in the 00s and didn't achieve a lot.
Not sure I would call them savants though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

People only remember when they came back in the 00s and didn't achieve a lot.
Not sure I would call them savants though.

Whisper it but the TAG Porsche, Ferrari, and especially Honda were the best engines. Renault was good too but curiously never won a WDC or WCC during that era.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I think manufacturers look at F1 and are turned off by the fact that they'd probably have to work closely with Red Bull.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

wicka posted:

I watched NBC for the first time and there were loving a lot of commercials. One time mid-race they came back from commercials, showed two laps, then took another ad break.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I watched NBC for the first time and there were loving a lot of commercials. One time mid-race they came back from commercials, showed two laps, then took another ad break.

Yeah, it's like, would I rather watch only 2/3rd of the race, or would I rather watch the entire race and want to die the whole time?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Yeah, it's like, would I rather watch only 2/3rd of the race, or would I rather watch the entire race and want to die the whole time?

This but my entire life.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Why don't you #askcrofty ?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Could be worse, could be on Fox.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also the NBC bumper music is extremely bad

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khablam posted:

Why don't you #askcrofty ?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

They built excellent engines, they just got put in poo poo cars. The fact they drove a Brabham to be remotely competitive or a Williams to challenge with Kubica and Heidfeld at the wheel speaks volumes when the chassis the engines were put in were relative heaps.

Just watching some trash debt collection 'documentary' and it happens to be an episode where they're trying to seize goods from Lotus' F1 factory. loving :lol:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

They built excellent engines, they just got put in poo poo cars. The fact they drove a Brabham to be remotely competitive or a Williams to challenge with Kubica and Heidfeld at the wheel speaks volumes when the chassis the engines were put in were relative heaps.

This is very, very wrong FYI. Especially the Brabham thing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also Kubica was extremely competitive regardless of what he was driving.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

loving this. At least NBC commentators weren't going "woahwoahowhaowhao" at every little thing for this race. #blessed

• Locked thread