Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Brabham was poo poo poor but their cars were excellent, they should've just fielded one car since that's all they had the resources for. But really if anything BMW were the poo poo end of that partnership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some of Brabham's second driver choices were extremely suspect.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that they let both Teo and Corrado Fabi share the second car in 1984 shows just how much of a poo poo they gave about the second entry. Teo was a fast driver though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I watched NBC for the first time and there were loving a lot of commercials. One time mid-race they came back from commercials, showed two laps, then took another ad break.

I just switch over to Univision (in the USA) because they don't run commercials. I switch back in about 3 minutes or longer if i want to learn spanish.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Let's not forget that for the longest time they used that pig of an Alfa engine because it was free. Really they were the forerunners to the modern McLaren Honda.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I like NBC's announcers, but their endless commercials are annoying. The worst part is if you're watching the stream you don't get the side-by-side.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I really want this mostly because I'm being given some poo poo Corolla and some sex appeal attached to that brand would be nice

You must be new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdd_4BqoSnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GopJiJZqgKk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I like NBC's announcers, but their endless commercials are annoying. The worst part is if you're watching the stream you don't get the side-by-side.

The worst part about their Live Extra app is that it doesn't handle commercials very well. Frequently it either breaks the steam entirely, but sometimes it will delay returning the race by 1-2 minutes every break. It's bizarre.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

A 2003 Corolla S ain't no Celica GT-4 mate.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Let's not forget that for the longest time they used that pig of an Alfa engine because it was free. Really they were the forerunners to the modern McLaren Honda.

The varying physical dimensions of the engines sounds really insane.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

wicka posted:

The worst part about their Live Extra app is that it doesn't handle commercials very well. Frequently it either breaks the steam entirely, but sometimes it will delay returning the race by 1-2 minutes every break. It's bizarre.

The web app has gotten pretty locked down on adblockers but something like AdGuard still works on android and Kodi has a LiveExtra plugin if you've grown tired of seeing the same 4 commercials on loop.

You still won't get the picture-in-picture during the break but at least it will cut back to the action at the right time.

Nill fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The varying physical dimensions of the engines sounds really insane.

Niki heading to the factory to see why the engines were so unreliable and then finding 20 stray dogs wandering through the workshop is probably one of my favorite F1 stories.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Carlo Chiti loved race cars, fine art, and dogs. He combined them all in his workshop.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ferrari (back when he worked for them) also had to remind him to cash the cheques they gave him because he would forget.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Old F1 engineers and mechanics were loving cool

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Just lmao if you think Honda is going to get its poo poo together this year.

No, I won't give up on them after the first race. They have to figure out a way to keep it from destroying itself by midseason. Don't they? ...DON'T THEY!?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CratSock posted:

No, I won't give up on them after the first race. They have to figure out a way to keep it from destroying itself by midseason. Don't they? ...DON'T THEY!?

It's not a matter of destroying itself it's whether it makes power or not. I think the criticism would be much less if the engine was actually powerful just prone to blow ups.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I actually think they will probably have a much better engine by Monaco just because having a bunch of F1 drivers laughing about how poo poo the Honda engine is to the press hopefully will put some meaningful pressure on them. I haven't read anything that suggests there is a fatal design flaw that will prevent it from becoming competitive/reliable like there was in the previous version.

I also acknowledge that this is pretty optimistic and there is a good chance I will be hilariously wrong. Plus, even a better engine probably means Alonso is fighting with Massa/Force India for a handful of points each week instead of fighting for podiums.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah I'd feel a lot more optimistic if Nando wasn't struggling to make Q2.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I actually think they will probably have a much better engine by Monaco just because having a bunch of F1 drivers laughing about how poo poo the Honda engine is to the press hopefully will put some meaningful pressure on them.

I have about as much faith in Honda being able to fix this as I would asking Helen Keller to write me a letter of reference.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

1500quidporsche posted:

I have about as much faith in Honda being able to fix this as I would asking Helen Keller to write me a letter of reference.

Helen Keller was an author though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
But she is also dead, so

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

So is Honda F1

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Norns posted:

So is Honda F1

oops pow surprise, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Best part of the race. I can watch Toto beat stuff all day every day.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

So is Honda F1

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

So is Honda F1

Here lies the MCL-32. He never scored.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren will finish on the podium in at least one race this year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

McLaren will finish on the podium in at least one race this year.

Parts of the engine might shoot that far, yes.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://youtu.be/32cp_VDWDbc

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If you watch the replay on the NBC sports app, it cuts out the commercials. it's nice not having to sit through them, but it also means you lose a few laps here and there. I'm fine with that trade off though.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Am I the only one with a DVR and the patience to wait at least 30-45 min to start watching the race?

Only thing y'all miss out on are my race day hot takes like re-posting that promo video for the unveiling of the 2017 Red Bull:

quote:

"The RB 13, unlucky...for some."

The 3rd time Danny Ric's car fell apart.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wuffles posted:

Am I the only one with a DVR and the patience to wait at least 30-45 min to start watching the race?

You'll miss out the camaraderie of chatting with goons on IRC. :)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't have cable so no DVR.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Norns posted:

Walker and Hunt were amazing together.

Considering they had the share the same microphone, the only way they shared it was to strangle one another with the mic cord.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Australian GP was basically any average GP from like 2000-2007

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

gret posted:

You'll miss out the camaraderie of chatting with goons on IRC. :)

I'm not sure that's a very compelling reason

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I don't have cable so no DVR.

I don't know a single person from our generation that has cable without living at their parents or in a house with four other roommates to split the bill.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
That was an entertaining gp. And it actually had some payoff unlike last year. But plenty of heartbreak and disappointment to go around too. I predicted RIC win and GRO in the points... Which puts me in the last points scoring place in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

A 2003 Corolla S ain't no Celica GT-4 mate.

lol

All of the talkers should listen to the 5 Live Review with Seb where he says the truths. What should we take from this? Nothing.

Lewis couldn't gently caress off. We've had a thing where Lewis qualis the car up the front and then fucks off. We see the gap increasing and just inwardly sigh that once again Lewis is going to gently caress off.

He didn't gently caress off and couldn't gently caress off. The first stint until the first stop was proper tense as gently caress F1 and that's where the race was won.

People that want to see more overtakes, there was Supercar races every day. Lots of 'rubbing is racing' bullshit for you to watch.

• Locked thread