Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I wonder if this time Bungie will manage to not gently caress up every aspect of their game that isn't directly related to being an fps. Every part of the mmo side of their mmo-fps was lousy and below mmo-genre standards and that should really be saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Instant stealth kill was actually something I avoided unlocking for as long as possible since every review said it was incredibly overpowered. Shooting heads and exploding backpacks was more fun too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Instant stealth kill was actually something I avoided unlocking for as long as possible since every review said it was incredibly overpowered. Shooting heads and exploding backpacks was more fun too.

Fighting humans is really boring anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stealth kills are powerful and I have no problem with that. I have seen footage of people hiding and whistling to slowly draw people over to bushes to kill them one by one. This is actually incredibly slow and tedious for enemies which cannot really hurt you and have bad vision. You can run six feet to their left at full sprint and circle around them to stealth kill them. You can run up a two foot rock and jump on their heads to stealth kill them. I actually really liked the outpost missions in the game. I mean, I think they had the right number of them but I did think they were fun

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For most of the game an R2 to the face kills humans in one hit. Once you get into the back half of the game, it will leave them with a sliver of health. So yeah, stealth kills are one hit, but you can also just hit people in the face really effectively.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Failboattootoot posted:

I wonder if this time Bungie will manage to not gently caress up every aspect of their game that isn't directly related to being an fps. Every part of the mmo side of their mmo-fps was lousy and below mmo-genre standards and that should really be saying something.

Fortunately they spent 2 years being screamed at by people to fix their poo poo and Destiny 1 turned into an okay game (again after 2 years of being screamed at to fix poo poo).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

haveblue posted:

Hah. It was the first thing I unlocked.

So far about 90% of my kills have been stealth kills. The other 10% was me smashing people in the face with my beat stick.

I've rarely at all used the bow. Mainly because I'm terrible at aiming with a game pad.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Has any new info on the new Call of Duty set in World War 2 come to light? I saw the picture but it looks like a hoax. I don't want to get my hopes up.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/846400151157657601

It's real. Since this is being developed by the same studio that did Advanced Warfare, expect a pretty decent single-player and wait and see about MP.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Hah. It was the first thing I unlocked.

So far about 90% of my kills have been stealth kills. The other 10% was me smashing people in the face with my beat stick.

I've rarely at all used the bow. Mainly because I'm terrible at aiming with a game pad.

90% of my people kills were stealth kills or bow head shots from stealth until I said gently caress it and used the blast sling like a rapid fire grenade launcher. I recommend that if you get tired of stealth.

Melee sucks against big bots outside of specific situations but I played on a mix of hard and v.hard where 2 attacks would kill you, maybe it's different in normal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm playing very hard and melee is very useful against except the biggest robots. You just need to know when it's safe to melee them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been reading Rain World reviews at work since I'm a sucker for those types of games and I know some people in here were interested. The TL;DR of the reviews is its a gorgeous game but the clunky controls and overtuned difficulty (randomly placed predators and food sources; awkwardly placed save points) hamper the enjoyment

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On very hard melee is still strong enough to one-shot anything Broadhead-sized and below from stealth, or knock down anything Ravager-sized and below with an R2. I went a long way into the game still using dodgeroll + R2 into a critical strike or override.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a specific skill that greatly raises the power of R2 to knock down bots. I don't think it works on Ravager-class enemies until you unlock that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Destiny was fun and good but I probably won't get Destiny 2 unless it's on PC since I have a PS4 and my brother has an Xbone and I'd rather just play something co-op.

Also, bring back Dinklebot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm playing on Normal just because I don't have the patience to play games beyond that. I've only died a couple times and that was mainly because I'm bad at shooting things.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Destiny was fun and good but I probably won't get Destiny 2 unless it's on PC since I have a PS4 and my brother has an Xbone and I'd rather just play something co-op.

Also, bring back Dinklebot.

I'm conflicted on Destiny. The shooting and gameplay is so much loving fun in that game. However, everything else is almost completely bad.

Out of all of the content in Destiny: vanilla, The Dark Below, House of Wolves, The Taken King, and Rise of Iron, only one of those was good. That was the Taken King. Everything else was mediocre to bad. Rise of Iron was bland, boring, and too short. Vanilla, The Dark Below, and House of Wolves were each somewhere on the scale between "bad" and "should be considered a war crime."

I figured that Rise of Iron would at least be good because the Taken King was pretty great, but it was boring and very obviously slapped together.

Their whole content release was a loving joke.

Destiny is such a weird thing because in the moment when I'm playing it, I'm having a lot of fun, but after being away from it for a bit, I just think "gently caress Destiny and gently caress Bungie."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a destiny sequel could be really good because the core mechanics (shooting, movement, etc) were incredible. it's kinda insane how hard they dropped the ball with launch destiny; absolutely the most disappointing game I've ever played, and I didn't even pay for it. that game should not have launched the way it did

bungie lost every ounce of trust I had for them after destiny, but I'm definitely willing to give the sequel a chance if it turns out alright. stop making enemies bullet sponges (this will never happen because it's an mmo tho), add in an actual plot and missions more complicated than "go to door, kill enemies while dinklebot opens door"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

stop making enemies bullet sponges (this will never happen because it's an mmo tho), add in an actual plot and missions more complicated than "go to door, kill enemies while dinklebot opens door"

All of this happened in TTK tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Healbot posted:

Yup, quality and quantity of games at launch are not important factors, it's important to relay the correct message through naming conventions and building hype.

I'm remembering the PS2 launch games back then, they were all awful, and it still sold like hotcakes.

SSX was loving ace.

Even the spoiler announcement image looks like someone lit a fart on fire. Setting a good precedent, I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stealth kills are powerful and I have no problem with that. I have seen footage of people hiding and whistling to slowly draw people over to bushes to kill them one by one. This is actually incredibly slow and tedious for enemies which cannot really hurt you and have bad vision. You can run six feet to their left at full sprint and circle around them to stealth kill them. You can run up a two foot rock and jump on their heads to stealth kill them. I actually really liked the outpost missions in the game. I mean, I think they had the right number of them but I did think they were fun

Whistle breaks the game. Whistle and the other three skills in its tree are not worth unlocking, in my humble, and the game is more fun and tense without them.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 27, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also, I know a lot of people talk highly of raiding, but I actually found it pretty punishing and overall fairly unfun. Bosses were 20+ minute slogs with constant insta-kill mechanics. Raids were just loving exhausting overall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

20+ minutes when learning, yeah. But once you have things down pat it's a fun romp for an hour or two with some good people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Destiny would be so cool if enemies didn't literally take thousands of bullets to kill. Like it's insanely loving boring emptying clip after clip into things for literal tens of minutes, I don't know how people find that appealing.

I love the setting, graphics and sound design of Destiny and I think a sequel COULD potentially be good IF they put a lot more effort into the story and are allowed stick to it this time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Destiny would be so cool if enemies didn't literally take thousands of bullets to kill. Like it's insanely loving boring emptying clip after clip into things for literal tens of minutes, I don't know how people find that appealing.

I love the setting, graphics and sound design of Destiny and I think a sequel COULD potentially be good IF they put a lot more effort into the story and are allowed stick to it this time.

I think, for me, them being a pseudo-MMO really hurts them. The only substantial content pack that they put out was Taken King. That's the only thing that took me more than an afternoon to finish the main story content. Rise of Iron, although sold as an expansion, takes like 3 hours to finish. It's loving stupid.

Hell, I'm a subscriber to Final Fantasy 14 and every 3-4 months they're putting out a content patch larger than Rise of Iron. I know, I know, they're different games across different genres, but if Destiny is supposed to be this big flagship, there should be more content than one lovely content pack every 12 months that just reuses existing poo poo. They should be putting out something the size of The Taken King every 9 months.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'm playing through both Horizon and Zelda at the moment. I work away in the week and play Zelda on my switch while in the hotel, but when I'm home at the weekend I'll play Horizon over Zelda any chance I get to take over the TV. I'm just at the point of the story where I'm finding out about 'zero dawn' and it's got me hooked, whereas I'm 2 dungeons in in Zelda and as far as I can tell it's just going to be more of the same with minimal actual storytelling, just make your own fun stuff.

Controversial opinion?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

More than one game can be good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's hosed up, man.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bad Parenting posted:

I'm playing through both Horizon and Zelda at the moment. I work away in the week and play Zelda on my switch while in the hotel, but when I'm home at the weekend I'll play Horizon over Zelda any chance I get to take over the TV. I'm just at the point of the story where I'm finding out about 'zero dawn' and it's got me hooked, whereas I'm 2 dungeons in in Zelda and as far as I can tell it's just going to be more of the same with minimal actual storytelling, just make your own fun stuff.

Controversial opinion?

I'm cycling through Zelda, Horizon, and Witcher 3 when I have the time to play games right now, and I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun gaming.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I finished Horizon, took a week off to go on vacation, and immediately dove into Nier. I can see why some people would find it a letdown to do that, since it looks like a PS2 game, but its story and structure is so different that I don't care.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

I think, for me, them being a pseudo-MMO really hurts them. The only substantial content pack that they put out was Taken King. That's the only thing that took me more than an afternoon to finish the main story content. Rise of Iron, although sold as an expansion, takes like 3 hours to finish. It's loving stupid.

Hell, I'm a subscriber to Final Fantasy 14 and every 3-4 months they're putting out a content patch larger than Rise of Iron. I know, I know, they're different games across different genres, but if Destiny is supposed to be this big flagship, there should be more content than one lovely content pack every 12 months that just reuses existing poo poo. They should be putting out something the size of The Taken King every 9 months.

This was my take after playing way too much of it, like 300+ hours logged. The guns and shooting are really fun. The world is pretty neat. The PVP is mostly fun (except no multi-player vehicles, what the gently caress, Bungie). The fact that doing damage against enemies is level dependent like an MMORPG is stupid and hosed and I hate it and it's the reason I couldn't ever go back.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

I finished Horizon, took a week off to go on vacation, and immediately dove into Nier. I can see why some people would find it a letdown to do that, since it looks like a PS2 game, but its story and structure is so different that I don't care.

Stuffing a week inbetween was a great idea. When I tried to do it same day, Nier was so ugly and I wanted to stop looking at it and the anime-style VA was killing me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

All of this happened in TTK tho

it happened in halo too but that didn't stop them from launching destiny the way they did

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Attitude Indicator posted:

half of those games you could get on other, cheaper consoles. A bunch of people weren't/aren't interested in spending a lot of money for slightly improved graphics, and that removes half of the launch line up.

Better visuals has always been a huge reason to get a new console. Obviously lots of people agree with that based on PS4 sales.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

half of those games you could get on other, cheaper consoles. A bunch of people weren't/aren't interested in spending a lot of money for slightly improved graphics, and that removes half of the launch line up.

With that logic, why upgrade your console or graphics card ever?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Morby posted:

With that logic, why upgrade your console or graphics card ever?

Because eventually the games you want stop coming out for the ones you currently have? I feel like you misunderstood their point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You make your own adventure in Zelda.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Destiny 2, meh. The only thing I will say is the bar is still pretty low for console MMOs. The Division couldn't even manage a raid.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How hard is Yakuza 0 on hard?

I don't think the fighting will be too tough does it affect minigames?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In another useless inane comment, it's possible to compare games.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Any hot takes on Rain World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

verbal enema posted:

How hard is Yakuza 0 on hard?

I don't think the fighting will be too tough does it affect minigames?

Playing a Yakuza game on hard is the exact opposite of fun, the no hit stun bosses are bad enough on normal.