Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Who ever thought that having an automatic, high-tech chip assembly machine just fling its products out in random directions was a good idea?

It means they don't have to program the GUI for holding output items.

Buildcraft was a very lazy mod. Good for its time, but very, very lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

frenzy posted:

I haven't seen anything like drawbridges on 1.10. I always wondered if they copied those from Keepcraft because that was the first place I saw them

how do you feel about these doors

I just realized the premade structure you're in in that video, I'm holed up and fortifying the same sort of place in the Invasion pack. It's pretty great for these ruthless packs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Its not lazy, Buildcraft was written for raw Minecraft. All of these other mods now have a huge modding API in the form of Forge or Thermal Expansion framework or whatever. They have a lot less work to do to get a mod off the ground.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Are there any 1.10.2 mods that fill in the storage and/or autocrafting that aren't either AE2 or refined storage, or that other one that was made before AE2 was ported to this version? I don't care if it's a couple of mods that are needed to fill that niche, I just wanna see if there's anything with that functionality out there now that isn't the previously mentioned mods.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You'd figure someone would have written an addon mod to at least make the thing automatable. It's really annoying to have to keep tabs on the chipset production in a Titan PO2 game so that your autocrafting of the megabyte AE2 storage components don't hit a wall.

Speaking of, the only transport system I can remember that would allow me to specify quantities in the target inventory to maintain and not exceed is Blood Magic's. Is there anything like that in PO2's set of mods? Something is tickling the back of my brain about a TE servo, but I've been such a fanboy of EnderIO conduits that all previous piping mechanisms have left my brain.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

neogeo0823 posted:

Are there any 1.10.2 mods that fill in the storage and/or autocrafting that aren't either AE2 or refined storage, or that other one that was made before AE2 was ported to this version? I don't care if it's a couple of mods that are needed to fill that niche, I just wanna see if there's anything with that functionality out there now that isn't the previously mentioned mods.

RFTools can do this to a limited degree, but if you're willing to go crazy enough integrating all the disparate parts, you can have a pretty robust system that includes trans-dimensional storage access. I ended up trying this in a game because I hate the AE2 grind and RS is too limiting in comparison for some things, and I was able to get it up and going surprisingly early with a spit of redstone and very, very minimal power. Beat the hell out of a wall of chests for the things that don't make sense in drawers. But it does get limited fast if you're expecting the same capabilities as a rack full of 64k disks

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Any tips on reducing tps lag? I'm getting pretty large amounts of lag on a 2 person server despite having a fairly beefy computer. I read that reducing the rate mobs spawn can help and maybe a world border plugin. (Noticed lag when cutting down redwoods with a lumber axe and exploring new areas)

Running all the mods on 1.10.2

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leavy posted:

Speaking of, the only transport system I can remember that would allow me to specify quantities in the target inventory to maintain and not exceed is Blood Magic's. Is there anything like that in PO2's set of mods? Something is tickling the back of my brain about a TE servo, but I've been such a fanboy of EnderIO conduits that all previous piping mechanisms have left my brain.

I vaguely remember something about a certain type of transfer pipe being able to only move a single stack of something and keep it topped up, but nothing beyond that.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The transfer nodes of Extra Utilities can be set up to only keep a single item or single stack in the target inventory.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Its not lazy, Buildcraft was written for raw Minecraft. All of these other mods now have a huge modding API in the form of Forge or Thermal Expansion framework or whatever. They have a lot less work to do to get a mod off the ground.

You can ask any number of people about how horribly I crashed a minecraft server for a week using a buildcraft quarry and a deep storage unit and whoever made deep storage units came out and specifically made a patch just for me because buildcraft couldn't handle a deep storage unit rejecting something being put into it's inventory that didn't belong . :negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What I mean is, Buildcraft has been around since Alpha 1.2.5 (maybe earlier? I dont even know!). So they have had to update Buildcraft 20+ times just to keep it where it is! Thats a lot of effort, hardly lazy at all.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hm, let's see what sort of new mods are out there that I haven't used yet...

http://minecraftsix.com/much-more-spiders-v2-mod/

Oh.. heh.. ok.. nevermind.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

That looks AWESOME. Thanks for linking it!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

What I mean is, Buildcraft has been around since Alpha 1.2.5 (maybe earlier? I dont even know!). So they have had to update Buildcraft 20+ times just to keep it where it is! Thats a lot of effort, hardly lazy at all.

Maybe creatively lazy then, even if I'll give you productivity. Although it's more likely that they have their core audience and don't want to change.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I 'll admit I like the pipes that show items, that's all I really used BC for, even back in the day. Exploring mystcraft ore hellscapes was faster, and for any EE pack you'd be able to find some kinda infinite loop.

What are the packs everyone is playing now? I haven't touched minecraft in a while.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Tyty posted:

I 'll admit I like the pipes that show items, that's all I really used BC for, even back in the day. Exploring mystcraft ore hellscapes was faster, and for any EE pack you'd be able to find some kinda infinite loop.

What are the packs everyone is playing now? I haven't touched minecraft in a while.

Buncha goons playing GRIMDARK.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Maybe creatively lazy then, even if I'll give you productivity. Although it's more likely that they have their core audience and don't want to change.
The robots were new and cool and somewhat popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn3gYn03zao

There's a direwolf thing with them. They are neat. No trolling.

Just kinda skip through and you can see them in action maybe.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Falcon2001 posted:

Also it isn't the same team that's been developing it this whole time. It's changed a few times IIRC? Just like IC2's has.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 28, 2017

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't think it has autocrafting, but Correlated Potentialisics is basically "hey, remember storage in AE1? It was great, right? Here it is." The newer versions aren't available on Curse anymore, for some reason.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I don't think it has autocrafting, but Correlated Potentialisics is basically "hey, remember storage in AE1? It was great, right? Here it is." The newer versions aren't available on Curse anymore, for some reason.
The only issue I have with this mod over something like Refined Storage is that it's gated behind you finding one of the processors in a dungeon chest or some such. Not exactly a hard gate but, still, RNG could screw you over.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I love when a mod evolves to a point where it has become so obtuse and unrecognizable someone releases a clone of the original. I wish someone would release a clone of Thaumcraft 2, that mod was great and I would use the heck out it if I had the option. I have no idea wtf is going on with more modern Thaumcrafts.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I have no idea wtf is going on with modern mods.
Oh trust me, we know.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You don't fool me, you're a creeper, not a sheeper.

Also the ocelot pet in my hotbar keeps scaring creepers away so I have to shoot moving targets. I didn't even know creepers could run.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Having used Refined Storage, I can't go back to the AE style of data sorting.
The one thing that bugged me about AE from the start is that each disk can only hold a certain number of different items, so you'd have to carefully partition your drives to accept certain items, and then I'd end up with chests of rarer items sitting nearby so I wouldn't use a whole chip just for a few misc items I only have one or two of, and if input overflowed or I was swapping chips it was easy for things to back up or go into the wrong drive because I hadn't fully set it up, or any number of similar problems.

With Refined Storage a 1k chip just holds 1k items, period. There are no limits to how many item types, and having more item types doesn't take up more memory per item deposited, or anything like that. It's 1:1. I really, really appreciate that. I know that some people like the idea of organizing their drives, and I can understand that approach. But me personally, I use AE-style systems so I can just have a sleek, consolidated, searchable central storage. With as many resources as I spend to set it up, I just want to dump stuff in and not worry about it. So I really like that Refined Storage lets me just set up a huge storage drive and just not worry about what or how much, and my drives don't get jammed when they're only 10% full.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Alright I've never used Natura before but for some reason I can't get Maple and Tigerwood saplings to grow I've looked at their various pages and they don't need any special soil so any ideas on what would cause them to not grow after multiple in game days?

Like I have a small oak tree farm nearby and I've harvested it twice and the Maple and Tigerwood saplings have not grown once.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus
The point of AE/RF is just to interface with your monument of storage drawers :colbert:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Having used Refined Storage, I can't go back to the AE style of data sorting.
The one thing that bugged me about AE from the start is that each disk can only hold a certain number of different items, so you'd have to carefully partition your drives to accept certain items, and then I'd end up with chests of rarer items sitting nearby so I wouldn't use a whole chip just for a few misc items I only have one or two of, and if input overflowed or I was swapping chips it was easy for things to back up or go into the wrong drive because I hadn't fully set it up, or any number of similar problems.

With Refined Storage a 1k chip just holds 1k items, period. There are no limits to how many item types, and having more item types doesn't take up more memory per item deposited, or anything like that. It's 1:1. I really, really appreciate that. I know that some people like the idea of organizing their drives, and I can understand that approach. But me personally, I use AE-style systems so I can just have a sleek, consolidated, searchable central storage. With as many resources as I spend to set it up, I just want to dump stuff in and not worry about it. So I really like that Refined Storage lets me just set up a huge storage drive and just not worry about what or how much, and my drives don't get jammed when they're only 10% full.

???

I just have a drive full of 1k storage cells for small stacks of things, and then drives+ of larger cells for storing more amounts of stuff if I need, and I've never actually partitioned them. Yeah I know it's inefficient, technically, but I've never been in a position where resources were tight enough that there was no possible way to just make 10 1k cells.

I mean yes the way RS handles it is far better and I'm not gonna argue on that one, but the way people act about AE2 bugs me sometimes.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone else playing PO2 on titan mode and ran into there being no steel casing recipe? Can't progress in the mechanism quest line... Or at all really.

edit: nvm figured it out. I removed channels from AE2, which removed block controllers, which errors the minetweaker recipes when trying to load block controller recipes for titan mode, which cause the other recipes not to load. Removed the block controller recipes and reloaded the scripts and the steel casing recipe is back. That was a fun 20 minutes.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 28, 2017

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Any of AE2's annoyances on their own are not a huge deal, but the combination of the inscriber being funky to automate, the plates, drive formatting, crystal growth, networks and sub networks, perhaps too much junk to make autocrafters work, etc make me question why the gently caress does storage have to have this much junk around it

Refined Storage just works

I would rather use the funky Extra Utilities chest storage consolidation thing than AE2 at this point

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Black Pants posted:

???

I just have a drive full of 1k storage cells for small stacks of things, and then drives+ of larger cells for storing more amounts of stuff if I need, and I've never actually partitioned them. Yeah I know it's inefficient, technically, but I've never been in a position where resources were tight enough that there was no possible way to just make 10 1k cells.

I mean yes the way RS handles it is far better and I'm not gonna argue on that one, but the way people act about AE2 bugs me sometimes.
I always just go with a drive or two of 4ks as needed and migrate anything I start to accumulate (like, 2k+) into drawers/barrels. Just need to set the drives to be a lower priority than the bus to the drawers.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Not sure what mod it was but Skyfactory 3 had a giant chest mod. Just make a big hollow cube and it'll have the storage as if every block was a chest I think. Just some big megachest.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

the inscriber being funky to automate

Huh? All you need is some hoppers.

If you're looking to autocraft individual bits, rather than just doing a bunch at once, use one inscriber per step.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Storage Drawers still owns

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Storage Drawers is gonna be my go-to storage mod for the foreseeable future, although it's a little annoying if I want to move them around. At least JABBA has the dolly for cheap, easy item-full transport.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Blind Duke posted:

Any of AE2's annoyances on their own are not a huge deal, but the combination of the inscriber being funky to automate, the plates, drive formatting, crystal growth, networks and sub networks, perhaps too much junk to make autocrafters work, etc make me question why the gently caress does storage have to have this much junk around it

Refined Storage just works

I would rather use the funky Extra Utilities chest storage consolidation thing than AE2 at this point

Inscribers are easy to both semi-automate and fully automate. Early on you just need Hoppers. Crystal growth is also easy to automate. Drive formatting is rarely actually necessary. You can do massive amounts of work with AE2 and never touch subnetworks. Auto-crafting is easy. No, really, it is.

The biggest real complaint is that finding meteors for the inscribers presses and sky stone is dumb. And it is. Thankfully FTB Beyond even disables that and gives them all recipes.

Meanwhile, Refined Storage can't actually do auto-crafting on its own and is nowhere near as server performant as AE2. And it's boring.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AE2 is worth it just for the thaumcraft crossover mod. Beats the hell out doing things through old fashioned way.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Serifina posted:

Inscribers are easy to both semi-automate and fully automate. Early on you just need Hoppers. Crystal growth is also easy to automate. Drive formatting is rarely actually necessary. You can do massive amounts of work with AE2 and never touch subnetworks. Auto-crafting is easy. No, really, it is.

The biggest real complaint is that finding meteors for the inscribers presses and sky stone is dumb. And it is. Thankfully FTB Beyond even disables that and gives them all recipes.

Meanwhile, Refined Storage can't actually do auto-crafting on its own and is nowhere near as server performant as AE2. And it's boring.

Refined Storage (RS) does have auto-crafting, if you mean the Detector similar to level emitters from Applied Energistics 2 (AE2), and even if you mean the simpler autocraft X from A+B+C (C requires D+E (E requires F+G (...))). Performance is still a huge issue with RS, I agree, and is being tracked and will be improved.

Also combine with Refined Exchange for converting/storing EMC for crafting. :)

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Dareon posted:

Storage Drawers is gonna be my go-to storage mod for the foreseeable future, although it's a little annoying if I want to move them around. At least JABBA has the dolly for cheap, easy item-full transport.
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/chest-transporter

Dolly with Storage Drawer support

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lolmer posted:

Refined Storage (RS) does have auto-crafting, if you mean the Detector similar to level emitters from Applied Energistics 2 (AE2), and even if you mean the simpler autocraft X from A+B+C (C requires D+E (E requires F+G (...))). Performance is still a huge issue with RS, I agree, and is being tracked and will be improved.

Also combine with Refined Exchange for converting/storing EMC for crafting. :)

Yeah, RS simplifies things so that the Molecular Assembler and Interface are rolled into a single block (the Crafter), which you can ALSO just point at a machine to do external-machine autocrafting.

It was sort of buggy and would get stuck on steps for no reason last I touched it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I may have asked this before, but how does RS compare to RFTools?