Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The Krogan Gladiator is a team player. He doesn't take the glory for himself.

Your team should be following you around blowing up all the poo poo you get close to. If they're not along for the ride then yeah you're just kind of off-brand Vanguarding.

Thanks it should have been pretty clear that was the case, hard to think about teams helping pubbing on the xbone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Best bug from last night was joining into a game that was on one of the later waves. The group was stuck fighting a kett ascendant who's little orbiting thing had somehow gone missing, yet he still had his shield and could fire off all of his usual attacks. It was the only enemy left of the wave and everyone was just kinda :confused: while shooting at it off and on for about five minutes.

After enough random people kept leaving and joining, the ascendant magically spawned his orbiting thing again and we were able to kill him. :iiam:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

HAmbONE posted:

I am Xbox One and catching up on this thread I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning it:

Anyone else finding when they join a multiplayer game that has already started that they start with an unpowered human male character with an M-8 avenger and Katana and no survivability?

I've had this happen once, I think it relates to how quickly I pressed "ready". I've delayed it by a second or two every time after and never had the issue. Not scientific in the least but give it a shot.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Siets posted:

Best bug from last night was joining into a game that was on one of the later waves. The group was stuck fighting a kett ascendant who's little orbiting thing had somehow gone missing, yet he still had his shield and could fire off all of his usual attacks. It was the only enemy left of the wave and everyone was just kinda :confused: while shooting at it off and on for about five minutes.

After enough random people kept leaving and joining, the ascendant magically spawned his orbiting thing again and we were able to kill him. :iiam:

I've had this happen but he never got the orb back.

You think with a grand total of 10 enemy types they'd not have one with a massive bug but GG Bioware maybe don't drive off all your employees and hire fanboys and girls in their stead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The blame for what happened to bioware almost certainly lies at EA's feet more than bioware. EA has a nasty history of chewing up its developers and franchises and spitting them out once there's nothing left from which to make a cheap buck.

Doesn't mean the product itself isn't really frustrating in many ways though, and even knowing that many of the people with previous experience working on mass effect aren't there anymore, it's hard not to expect better after 5 years.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Punched my way to a Gold extraction using a Tier 8 Human Vanguard, and I really hope they balance guns because right now I forget I even have one half the time.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Digirat posted:

The blame for what happened to bioware almost certainly lies at EA's feet more than bioware. EA has a nasty history of chewing up its developers and franchises and spitting them out once there's nothing left from which to make a cheap buck.

Doesn't mean the product itself isn't really frustrating in many ways though, and even knowing that many of the people with previous experience working on mass effect aren't there anymore, it's hard not to expect better after 5 years.

Did EA personally hire the bad writing team of ME3, who partially continued to be the bad writing team of ME:A, reinforced by the bad writer of Halo 4? I'm skeptical, but I guess they likely signed off on whichever bad management made the poor decisions and hiring internal to Bioware.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Digirat posted:

Bioware is EA at this point, I don't understand everyone who white knights devs vis a vis the publisher. From the consumer perspective there is no distinction my friend.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I have never seen an AAA release where I get kicked from a MP sesh into the home screen.

Let alone regularly.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I have never seen an AAA release where I get kicked from a MP sesh into the home screen.

Let alone regularly.

My SP save always freezes after getting through a certain cutscene so now I can only play MP.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

It makes a difference, just not nearly enough of one (I haven't checked the numbers above bronze, but I know the exp you get on bronze is the sum of all the points the team got, and silver just multiplies this value by something in the ballpark of 1.5). It starts taking 2 silver games to get a single level on a character before you even hit the level it recommends for silver, and again for gold. When silver is around twice as hard as bronze, it really should be giving you 2x the bronze exp, and gold 3x or more. The current values would be more reasonable if you were still leveling up 1/6 of the available characters at a time, but it's one at a time now, and you will also be short between 3 and 15 skill points at level 20 if you haven't unlocked the same character literally 10 times yet.

I'm not sure what the mentality is behind walling off the player from experiencing the content in the game they already paid for besides to push for microtransactions (thanks EA). Vermintide has made it far easier to get the items you want in no fewer than 5 different ways since it came out, and virtually everyone agrees that the game is much better off for it.

Yeah, the fact that you have to level every character individually makes the XP gains hurt even more.

I think what their intention is is to keep people playing Bronze/Silver and retain players longer because it takes so much longer to get to "the endgame content". I'm pretty sure that I was playing exclusively Gold matches starting like 2 weeks after the game came out, with all level 20 characters, and just playing to watch numbers on guns go up. This time they seem to want you to actually enjoy going up to level 20 which... doesn't really work that well when you're playing a horde mode and not an actual game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Did EA personally hire the bad writing team of ME3, who partially continued to be the bad writing team of ME:A, reinforced by the bad writer of Halo 4? I'm skeptical, but I guess they likely signed off on whichever bad management made the poor decisions and hiring internal to Bioware.

I'm referring mainly to the level of competency/quality that's visible in the multiplayer as it stands (much lower than hoped). I haven't played more than the very beginning of the singleplayer so I don't know what the situation was there with the writers or whatever. Although what I played did not really grip me the way ME2 did which is why I haven't bothered with any more of it--I can definitely see what people are on about with the facial animations, voice direction, and the quality of the player's dialogue choices, especially after playing witcher 3.

But after this long and after mass effect 3 already blazed the trail for them, the multiplayer should have been a sure thing. And sometimes it really works and it's awesome. Other times poo poo happens like last night where the game refused to let me switch to the missile launcher because I was trapped in a reload animation, so I could not stop the fiend who teleported into a sync kill animation on my teammate. When I finally was allowed to use it, I hit the loving thing dead on, a direct hit aimed for center of mass, with a cobra rocket. No effect. Game completely loving ignored it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also if it wasn't clear, I was referring to EA's practices pushing developers with experience out of the company due to stress and dissatisfaction, not that EA specifically is responsible for hiring at bioware. There's a really excellent post floating around about how the short and ridiculously crunchy dev time EA forced for dragon age 2 made many bioware employees quit, and is emblematic of an environment that can't retain core talent because the publisher's demands mean many people don't want to work there for long.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Let alone regularly.

Let me tell you about a game called For Honor....

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Or any battlefield game, or anything on PSN/XBLive, or anything on Ubisoft's distribution platform, or steam on a tuesday evening or or or

Bioware and this game has a shitload of problems, but sometimes gamers just go looking for dumb poo poo to latch on to one party.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digirat posted:

I'm referring mainly to the level of competency/quality that's visible in the multiplayer as it stands (much lower than hoped). I haven't played more than the very beginning of the singleplayer so I don't know what the situation was there with the writers or whatever. Although what I played did not really grip me the way ME2 did which is why I haven't bothered with any more of it--I can definitely see what people are on about with the facial animations, voice direction, and the quality of the player's dialogue choices, especially after playing witcher 3.

But after this long and after mass effect 3 already blazed the trail for them, the multiplayer should have been a sure thing. And sometimes it really works and it's awesome. Other times poo poo happens like last night where the game refused to let me switch to the missile launcher because I was trapped in a reload animation, so I could not stop the fiend who teleported into a sync kill animation on my teammate. When I finally was allowed to use it, I hit the loving thing dead on, a direct hit aimed for center of mass, with a cobra rocket. No effect. Game completely loving ignored it.

The fact that ME3's shining achievement was a really fun and unexpectedly good horde mode, and that Andromeda could not improve on that in any way in 5 years of development with more game modes, customization or anything really with somehow even less online stability, is just another huge disappointment.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Let alone regularly.

Let me talk to you about Battlefield 4.

:dice:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaysette posted:

My SP save always freezes after getting through a certain cutscene so now I can only play MP.

Try loading it before the game can connect to EA (or unplug your cable/disable wifi).

That worked for me on a stuck loading screen.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think this game has hard crashed out of app on Xbox One for me more times since release than ME3 ever did in 500 odd hours. I'm also definitely feeling the bad guns and bad XP. The bad guns don't bother me as much, because most of the guns were really bad in ME3 too, but the bad leveling and character classification system is really annoying and a terrible change from 3.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

From the discussion a few pages back on whether teams can have multiple negative traits, the answer is yes. I have a team with 3 negatives and 2 positives that I've been sending to fail all my gold missions. The app is great though, by using it regularly I have 3 teams and both equipment options from the store, and about 80 SP boxes saved up. It's a very nice feature!

Also, I'm on PS4 as Dongfrenzy - hit me up for multiplayer!

I have a team with six negative traits. They still succeed at golds at level 19, around 25%

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Tsyni posted:

I have a team with six negative traits. They still succeed at golds at level 19, around 25%

:lol: That's amazing.

The exact (opaque) nature of the positive/negative modifiers seems to matter a lot. My one team with a negative modifier is -10 for Cowardly, which I'm guessing only matters on missions with the Scary modifier. It almost always has a higher level of success than my team with just as many positive bonuses (and Night Vision Goggles equipment) but no negative modifier, so I'm guessing the nature of the bonuses (general vs. specific) is what really matters. He's got Elite (+5), Heroic (+10), Nighttime Operator (+10), Tough (+5), and Lucky (+5), I'm guessing that only the Nighttime Operator isn't a general bonus, and that gives him a bigger advantage on night missions than my other team with +5 from Night Vision Goggles when the relevant mission modifier comes up. And/or maybe Heroic offsets Cowardly. Wish I knew!

Incidentally, if you're playing for the long haul I would buy extra teams and send them at some low percentage missions, Silver after they have a few levels, Gold when they are mid level. They'll level up faster (especially when they unexpectedly succeed), and you'll build up more positive traits if you get lucky. I bought a third team to slowly level so as to avoid negative traits, and it only has one positive trait (at level 16), versus my other two that had 4-5 by this point. But I may have been abnormally lucky in avoiding negative traits.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

StarbloodKiss posted:

Just thought I'd mention this, but I tried to figure out why ME:A MP keeps crashing and apparently the symbols used for debugging aren't included with Microsoft's symbol store. To find your Andromeda dumplogs, they're located under: C:\%Username%\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect Andromeda\Temp

Maybe someone else can try looking at them since maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I tried to view it and all I got was:

code:
ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for MassEffectAndromeda.exe
rax=0000000000000002 rbx=00000000000001b8 rcx=0000000000000038
rdx=000000260000002f rsi=0000000000000009 rdi=000000000f516bc0
rip=0000000145c4a68f rsp=000000002a71e6c0 rbp=00000001c8b7c408
 r8=00000000000000b8  r9=0000000000000b73 r10=0000000006af1320
r11=000000002a71e740 r12=000000002a71f150 r13=0000000006a0f7a0
r14=0000000000007fff r15=00000000ffffffff
iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe cy
cs=0033  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010203
MassEffectAndromeda+0x5c4a68f:
00000001`45c4a68f 488b84c2e0000000 mov     rax,qword ptr [rdx+rax*8+0E0h] ds:00000026`0000011f=????????????????
Either way, at least I know what to submit for tickets now since I know where the dumps are. I was also running performance monitor and the only thing that looked strange was that my network traffic spiked really high when my game crashed. Memory\CPU\etc was around 70-80%

Well, I don't know about all that mess, but I can say this: I was having crash issues somewhat regularly (every 10 games?), and was also noticing that when in menus, -occasionally- if someone started playing the game or stopped or sent me a message, the screen would go black for a few seconds, then come back up, inform me that Dickbrain201 was now playing The Sims 28, and my hatred for Origin grew. So, since I was sick of that bullshit, and was wondering if it might be causing the crashes during matches, I turned off all of the notifications (left the overlay on). Haven't had a crash since, have played easily more than 40 games without trouble.

I also had an issue with the Firebase Zero map. I usually host for my buddies, and suddenly whenever that map would load, it wouldn't. It'd take forever to get up to about 80% loaded, and then sit there. I just assumed it was a bug, pulled up task manager, killed the game and restarted it a few times before I drew the correlation with that map. Ran a repair, it downloaded close to 1GB, repaired something, problem solved. So, if the notification fix doesn't do anything for ya, try a repair maybe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:lol: That's amazing.

The exact (opaque) nature of the positive/negative modifiers seems to matter a lot. My one team with a negative modifier is -10 for Cowardly, which I'm guessing only matters on missions with the Scary modifier. It almost always has a higher level of success than my team with just as many positive bonuses (and Night Vision Goggles equipment) but no negative modifier, so I'm guessing the nature of the bonuses (general vs. specific) is what really matters. He's got Elite (+5), Heroic (+10), Nighttime Operator (+10), Tough (+5), and Lucky (+5), I'm guessing that only the Nighttime Operator isn't a general bonus, and that gives him a bigger advantage on night missions than my other team with +5 from Night Vision Goggles when the relevant mission modifier comes up. And/or maybe Heroic offsets Cowardly. Wish I knew!

Incidentally, if you're playing for the long haul I would buy extra teams and send them at some low percentage missions, Silver after they have a few levels, Gold when they are mid level. They'll level up faster (especially when they unexpectedly succeed), and you'll build up more positive traits if you get lucky. I bought a third team to slowly level so as to avoid negative traits, and it only has one positive trait (at level 16), versus my other two that had 4-5 by this point. But I may have been abnormally lucky in avoiding negative traits.

You can see exactly what the traits do on your list of teams, where you would buy equipment for them. Most of them are specific, for example Bloodthirsty only applies to missions with Enemies Everywhere (I love that that's a mission trait). There's a button to bring up a team's list of traits on that screen. The button doesn't work if they're on a mission though so wait for them to get back

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know anyone reading this thread may have already bought the game, but for what it's worth it seems like the most stable version is the PS4 one, so grab that if you can. Personally I've had 2 crashes out of... a lot of hours.

Can anyone confirm that the game saves your credits/XP after every round, or at least after Objective waves? I have definitely come back after a crash and had more credits than before.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Digirat posted:

You can see exactly what the traits do on your list of teams, where you would buy equipment for them. Most of them are specific, for example Bloodthirsty only applies to missions with Enemies Everywhere (I love that that's a mission trait). There's a button to bring up a team's list of traits on that screen. The button doesn't work if they're on a mission though so wait for them to get back

In app? Because I don't see anything like that in iOS.

Neither the equipment button nor "manage" lets you view what the traits (or the equipment!) are specialized for.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

precision posted:

I know anyone reading this thread may have already bought the game, but for what it's worth it seems like the most stable version is the PS4 one, so grab that if you can. Personally I've had 2 crashes out of... a lot of hours.

Can anyone confirm that the game saves your credits/XP after every round, or at least after Objective waves? I have definitely come back after a crash and had more credits than before.

I've had better luck than most with crashes and disconnects, only seen a few so far here on PC, and my system doesn't even meet the game's listed requirements. But I did crash two times last night, one of them being 50 seconds from extraction on gold, and it did not give me any exp or money. But it had still eaten my boosters.

Based on my experience, I'd guess that the game only talks to the server to save your exp and money when a mission ends through winning or losing, rather than after every wave (this is sort of understandable since the servers getting requests after every single wave of every single game would probably be a huge amount of unnecessary traffic). What is less understandable is why the game eats your boosters at the start of a round instead of at the same time it gives you your exp and money. As it stands, crashing 50 seconds from extraction means you get nothing and your boosters are gone.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

In app? Because I don't see anything like that in iOS.

Neither the equipment button nor "manage" lets you view what the traits (or the equipment!) are specialized for.

It's in the game, I don't know of a way to see it in the app.

On the flipside, I have seen that you can change your character's name in the app, but can't find where to do that in the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

precision posted:

My roommate crashed on extraction last night (not even during the wave...during the cutscene) and got nothing so :shrug:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Last night I joined a game and it didn't load the map, just showed me a "mission accomplished" message and I got all the exp and money. Thanks for crashing, please do it again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My APEX team is named "Papa" and I have no idea why, but it is kinda funny.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

precision posted:

NATO phonetic alphabet for "P." They're all named that way.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Same. Mine was a unit of asari commandos too, so I was extra confused at first when I saw it.

Really though, the fault is mine since the asari are very obviously post-gender per the game's lore and definitely not beautiful blue space barbies. :liara:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Headbutt FiendButt (repeat until dead)

http://i.imgur.com/awlDEii.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
BLAST OFF
http://i.imgur.com/uKTWjAf.gifv

PUNCH HEADS
http://i.imgur.com/Uxdk47Z.gifv

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looks more like rear end butting to me.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Has anyone got any bonus stats levelled up to see how effective they are?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Seedge posted:

Has anyone got any bonus stats levelled up to see how effective they are?

They're 1% a level. Unsure if there's a cap.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cap is 20% if I recall correctly. Going to take a while, as the mount to XP needed per rank goes up each level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
By the time anyone gets those bonus stats up to a level where it matters they'll have rolled out Platinum

I'm halfway thinking they might add a new faction very soon since the assets are there anyway: beasts. Launch it with the new Krogan Big Game Hunter class :getin:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

precision posted:

By the time anyone gets those bonus stats up to a level where it matters they'll have rolled out Platinum

I'm halfway thinking they might add a new faction very soon since the assets are there anyway: beasts. Launch it with the new Krogan Big Game Hunter class :getin:

If they do this exactly, it gives them an excellent excuse to bring back the Kishock Harpoon or maybe even the Javelin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just had a strike team pull off a 0% chance mission.

• Locked thread