Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Hell, we've been there. Wasn't it in War/Restrepo where the CSM's son was killed on their first day in the valley?

Wasn't first day but yeah, that happened, albeit the son was at a different base. Wanna say it was overrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

We're reaching the point where father and son will have stayed at the same FOB in the same war

That's already happened. Heck, I know a granddad, father, son trio that all deployed.

And when I deployed last we had one of the staff officer's daughters working in one of the other staff sections.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

poo poo, technically we could be on third gen in Iraq.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
48 hours in Yakima filling in tire ruts was enough for me. I'm getting drunk and watching the new Dave Chappelle special.

Edit: oh yeah, gently caress the Army.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 27, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Maybe more specifically I meant multiple generations, as in a joe puts in his 4 years and ETS, has a child, and that child deploys to the same FOB dad did in the same war he fought in.

I didn't mean like old farts still in the Army with grown adult children who are also in the Army. If we're still in Afghanistan in 2019/2020, it'll start happening.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

cravius posted:

Mustang there's some dudes from your brigade in my ARC class and holy poo poo

2nd BDE?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Army to require all soldiers to test for Expert Action Badge, because why not?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh boy more flair

and more time stolen from training schedules

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Glad I'm not around for peacetime.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My unit in 03 had two Desert Storm vets, both of which at different points said something like, "Last time I was here..."
It will be a nice bonding experience to be able to take photos wearing the same poo poo, in the same place, 20 years after you Dad did the same.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Naked Bear posted:

Glad I'm not around for peacetime.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
War is hell, but peace is a motherfucker.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
CIF turn-in took a whole 10 minutes. Nothing kicked back. I tossed some extra barracks bags, knee pads, and a grenade pouch into the extras bin as a sacrifice to thank the dark gods for it going so smoothly or to help some poor schmuck who is missing one of those items in the future.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

There's a CIF guy at my last post who did one-for-one swaps of woodland/ACU patterned gear or poo poo that was worth less than $50 when you were turning poo poo in.

Don't have your ugly green fleece but have an extra wet weather top? You're good. Extra waterproof bag but no cloth laundry bag? Yep.

I had to restrain myself from laughing at the poor bastards at the other desk who were told they either needed to produce an ugly green fleece or eat a statement of charges, because Clothing and Sales only sells the poo poo-brown colored one now.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thumbs up to the cool CIF workers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

Thumbs up to the cool CIF workers.

Also I love cartoon Ponies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also I love cartoon ponies

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*nods*

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
God DAMMIT.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Nice

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So our Yakima sentence is almost complete.

A week after we get back command teams get to come back out for a week to be OCs and then a week after they come back from that we go out for Yakima 2. When we get back out from that the command teams go to NTC for LTP which is in turn followed by Yakima 3. They're understandably butt hurt.

I Corps/7th ID has some of the dumbest planning. High Op tempo in one of the best parts of the country and they wonder why retention rates are so low. My BDE has the lowest LT retention rate in the Army.

Supposedly the new BDE commander and CSM want to give the BDE a break after NTC but I'll believe that when it happens.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I haven't met a single lower enlisted person in this brigade who likes it, or would feel at all comfortable deploying with it. Also tons of people who were thinking about reenlisting before they got here, but after this place are firmly in the "gently caress this" camp.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A Bad Poster posted:

I haven't met a single lower enlisted person in this brigade who likes it, or would feel at all comfortable deploying with it. Also tons of people who were thinking about reenlisting before they got here, but after this place are firmly in the "gently caress this" camp.

Good. Also looking forward to Mustang losing his mind

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

I was PAO with I Corps and it gets worse.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Good Army day. State reached out to me regarding my PDHRA mental health portion just to check in on me, and followed up with the resources I requested, so that I can get counseling and therapy for cheap/free.

:unsmith:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

Good Army day. State reached out to me regarding my PDHRA mental health portion just to check in on me, and followed up with the resources I requested, so that I can get counseling and therapy for cheap/free.

Whoa there... You mean that they did their jobs?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

Was that Active Army, or Guard Army?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

It's pretty sad this this is the bar to clear.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ASAPI posted:

Yeah. It's still better than my last deployment where I was having real bad depression, like, "maybe you should just... Stop existing," stuff, and they told me they could see me in 6 months.

spacetoaster posted:

Was that Active Army, or Guard Army?

Guard.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Wasabi- You dealing with just major depressive order or is there a PTSD element to your problems? If so don't let that get buried because treating just MDD isn't necessarily good for MDD+PTSD. Different drugs and counseling methods all together.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wasabi- You dealing with just major depressive order or is there a PTSD element to your problems? If so don't let that get buried because treating just MDD isn't necessarily good for MDD+PTSD. Different drugs and counseling methods all together.

I believe it's a depressive disorder thing. I didn't really have this problem until after my first deployment, but I don't believe it was triggered by any traumatic events; I just developed a crazy amount of anxiety and started having uncomfortable thoughts on how to resolve it, over the course of a few months.

I am still getting help, and just talking it out with a counselor really helps, along with diet and exercise.

Like, an example of my bad thought process is: wake up tired every day -> SOMETHING DUMB HAPPENS AT WORK -> begin to think about it obsessively -> Maybe you're actually a fuckin' loser -> cherry-pick evidence based on past experiences -> maybe you should just quit, you could just kill yourself and not worry about any of this bullshit everyday.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Wasabi the J posted:

Like, an example of my bad thought process is: wake up tired every day -> SOMETHING DUMB HAPPENS AT WORK -> begin to think about it obsessively -> Maybe you're actually a fuckin' loser -> cherry-pick evidence based on past experiences -> maybe you should just quit, you could just kill yourself and not worry about any of this bullshit everyday.

According to the nice and good looking lady doctor at the VA I talk to every few weeks, this is A REAL BIG PROBLEM. As in you need to talk to someone and they need to help you fix this. Which you are, however....

You should not be deploying when you have this problem.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Genocide Tendency posted:

According to the nice and good looking lady doctor at the VA I talk to every few weeks, this is A REAL BIG PROBLEM. As in you need to talk to someone and they need to help you fix this. Which you are, however....

You should not be deploying when you have this problem.

Yes. I'm aware; this is also an occasional thing, but I understand what you're trying to say.

Funnily enough, I was getting more help when I deployed, as there were more than a few really underutilized and eager behavioral health workers/counselors/therapists out there.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The more I learn, the less I understand

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It begiiiiinnnssssssss :unsmigghh:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Go on :getin:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Do GOs still tell LTs that being a PL is the best part of the entire Army?

That was always a depressing pep-talk.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Being a PL is still a lot of fun and I love my Platoon, it's all the poo poo that happens way above me that's frustrating.

I've never been called in on the weekends or the middle of the night over anything one of my guys has done.

I'll save the stories until I no longer have this job or tell them in person

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Do GOs still tell LTs that being a PL is the best part of the entire Army?

That was always a depressing pep-talk.

lol. Everyone knows that BN command is the best thing in the Army. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Because the XO and S3 does all your work for you?