Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, he should have just ignored those engine failures and kept driving.

He had 2 DNFs all year. Rosberg had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
English fans just don't want to admit that the most objectively fraudulent WDC was clearly Hunt in '76.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Long live the Austrian burnt chicken tender.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In truth there are basically no WDCs I'd actually classify as undeserved. 1976 is the only remotely close one. Other than that it's hypotheticals like if Hill had beaten Schumacher in 1994 which would have been moronic.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Lewis lost because he was not very good in the first half of the season.

He had some poo poo drives in the second part of the season too. I witnessed it firsthand in Japan.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

In truth there are basically no WDCs I'd actually classify as undeserved. 1976 is the only remotely close one. Other than that it's hypotheticals like if Hill had beaten Schumacher in 1994 which would have been moronic.

You could maybe make a case for 1999.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2012, too, in the sense that Alonso was clearly a better driver in a worse car, but yeah.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'll usually say hypotheticals like a driver deserved it more in a certain year, but you really can't take away a WDC from somebody, they obviously did something that year to deserve it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I want to see Ricciardo on every podium. I wouldn't be unhappy at all if Max was there with him too.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I want Lewis to release his album so I can laugh at him.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want Pastor back

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I want Pastor back

Have you heard of this guy called Lance Stroll?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pastor actually had some talent. The pay drivers this year are just dreadful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd gladly trade Lance Stroll for Pastor Maldonado

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can Manor come back, please?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Can Manor come back, please?

No. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What if they brought Pastor back?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
120 new replies last night...

1. F1 teams get paid in $ by FOM so if the value of the pound or euro drops they will be better off.

2. I went to my first F1 race in 1979 and my opinions are still terrible.

3. My hearing was hosed by age 10.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Pastor actually had some talent. The pay drivers this year are just dreadful.

Pastor could actually get into the front of the pack and wreck some of the WDC contenders. Anyways, I don't think Stroll could drag anyone out of a garage fire.

Maybe that's what Williams is banking on.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Stroll is not that bad. He had a reasonable amount of success in the junior categories.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Give the kid a chance, it's only been 1 race.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Look at his record in lower formula...

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Jeez what does that say about everyone else in the lower formulas.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/3/Director%27s_Cut__Australia_2017.html

I really like the summary edits FOM do for each race. They often don't get to YouTube so you've gotta click the dumb link.

Maybe start a list of these in the op for reference?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

keevo posted:

Jeez what does that say about everyone else in the lower formulas.

Says they weren't with Prema.

I was more talking about his race ban from the F3 finale cuz he's a crash prone idiot.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The best part of the F1 season this year is that Bill Burr is watching it and always has something to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDQAlgqyjk&t=2169s

also oh poo poo I listen to this weekly and when he brought up F1 and started talking excitedly, it was the best

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/3/Director%27s_Cut__Australia_2017.html

I really like the summary edits FOM do for each race. They often don't get to YouTube so you've gotta click the dumb link.

Maybe start a list of these in the op for reference?

I love it when you can't find 3 minutes worth of interesting stuff in a race and have to insert painting to fill the time

Cool video though

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Norns posted:

What if Nico Rosberg was just a better driver in 2016? :toot:

He really was. He trained hard, worked the sims and practiced his starts. Their Lewis did none of these things.

When you even have Bernie telling you to cut partying the gently caress out you will ultimatly have noone but yourself to blame. And his tears have been deliciously salty ever since.
Rosberg did the right thing retiring when he did. It was the ultimate troll for Lewis.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

pik_d posted:

I love the mental gymnastics used to blame Lewis for literally everything. No he didn't get unlucky with reliability, its actually his own fault that everything bad happened!

It was just a floated theory, and I'll eat it - It is an incorrect theory; while Rosberg did double the number of laps Hamilton did in 2015, in 2016 they both did well over 600 pre-season testing laps each and there's no real reason to presuppose Hamilton did significantly fewer FP laps as well.

I think Lewis is a fantastic driver and has shown glimpses of being unquestionably the best driver on the grid.
He can be inconsistent and he can be a bit "head in the clouds", he can still wring fast times from his car (which is noticeably faster than anything else on the grid).
I also think he's a dickhead who overestimates his fan appeal, celebrity and who whines constantly while getting the fellatio of the century from the British broadcasters. Wait, was Di Resta this century? poo poo.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Stroll is not that bad. He had a reasonable amount of success in the junior categories.

Didn't he get dropped from the Ferrari junior program? Despite having success in the jr. categories?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Other than that it's hypotheticals like if Hill had beaten Schumacher in 1994 which would have been moronic.

Hill would've beaten Schumacher if he had been driven into by him. The guy was a phenomenal talent and his 7 WDCs are testament to that but you don't get 7 WDCs without a level of ruthlessness that leaves you scant regard for the rules at times.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If we learned anything from this race is that he cars are too difficult for the poo poo drivers to drive. One of the reasons for this is that you have to baby them because the bloody shark fin will box your tyres and brakes.

Palmer, k-mag, Ericsson and Stroll's shitness was very apparent. Time will tell if it was Mercedes loving up the tyre set up, or Lewis grinding his into dust and bottas being poor in general. Same with Kimi.

One rather telling thing is that if it's a Mercades mistake Lewis whines, if it's a Lewis mistake he and Mercades tend to keep quiet about it which is what happened after Australia. It is possible that Lewis' lack of simulator time has bitten him on the arse again but we will have to wait until the next race to find out.

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:
Verstappens T-car spotted.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Palmer, k-mag, Ericsson and Stroll's shitness was very apparent.

When has it not?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Where he almost had a different car in a spec series and the money to pay for testing and engineering other drivers didn't have access to.

Even so he had a reputation for causing incidents.

That's not to say he won't do ok but don't think for a moment F3 was a level playing field. He had a Prema car and at times it looked like teammates who were essentially paid to drive for his benefit.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Alain Post posted:

English fans just don't want to admit that the most objectively fraudulent WDC was clearly Hunt in '76.

Warwick Hunt.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Alain Post posted:

He had 2 DNFs all year. Rosberg had one.

DNF's aren't exactly the whole story of that season. Rosberg's DNF was when him and Hamilton took each other off in Spain, so no advantage to either party there. HAMs other DNF that year was in Malaysia resulting in a 28-point swing to Rosberg who was stuck in the midfield at the time I think. The majority of Hamilton's "bad luck" due to mechanical issues came from him having to start lower down the grid because of part changes/issues in qualifying and not failing to finish races.

I don't like Rosberg at all but I don't think it was an undeserved WDC for him. Looking at the classifications at the end of each race and going "welp, stats don't lie!" is pretty disingenuous though.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'll usually say hypotheticals like a driver deserved it more in a certain year, but you really can't take away a WDC from somebody, they obviously did something that year to deserve it.

Unless they won the WDC due to double points finale round, then they'd be a fraud WDC.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

[Rosberg] He really was. He trained hard, worked the sims and practiced his starts. Their Lewis did none of these things.

lewis didn't need to do these things, because rosberg is a poo poo driver and was his only competition

what he need to do was have his car break down less

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Actually Hamilton is a brilliant strategist who gave Rosberg the win knowing he would retire and be replaced by a non-German (the only way to stop the team sabotaging him)

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/717312342002900996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lewis can't control his car breaking, but he can control his own mistakes, and he made countless mistakes over the course of the season that could have given him the five points needed to beat Rosberg in the end. That's why he quite obviously deserved to lose. Oh, and he scored fewer points than Rosberg, which is literally the only metric that matters.

• Locked thread