Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

I do have a legit reason for needing to get it off the desk... I've knocked it over twice now because of my Oculus Rift cable getting hitched. Putting it on the arm lets it swing out a bit instead of getting launched off the desk.

Should have led with that, everything makes sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

There's a reason why they sell it for that price

Nice cherry picking, but it's still 10-20% faster than the RX 480 and GTX 1060 in most games at 1080p and increases that gap as resolution increases. It does need a lot of power to do it, though.

e:

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 29, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Curious about the the VRAM usage for the ME:A bench on high

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

I'm not sure its a bad rep as opposed to it more or less is what it is. Now I personally dont understand why blowers exist for GPUs, but I have never heard the Nvidia ones to be bad ones. Theyre supposed to be some of the best ones made.

However:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-6.html

I just picked the first one I saw, but there are a lot of graphs like that from a lot of reviewers. Basically it appears to hit the thermal limit and the factory fan curve opts not to go into runway takeoff fan speeds and throttles instead. Decent open air coolers are just not going to do that.

Computerbase confirms this pretty much https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-test/#abschnitt_taktraten_nach_20_minuten_last

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Regrettable posted:

Nice cherry picking, but it's still 10-20% faster than the RX 480 and GTX 1060 in most games at 1080p and increases that gap as resolution increases. It does need a lot of power to do it, though.

e:

Is that an old chart? The omission of the 1060 implies that it might be, and driver updates have changed things a bit since then.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Eletriarnation posted:

Is that an old chart? The omission of the 1060 implies that it might be, and driver updates have changed things a bit since then.

This is their new chart

or since its not https
http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/GNnbaKWSq8Sfh4GhcDNnDf-650-80.png

ed2: Looks like RX580/570 leaks are true, just clockspeed increases

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 29, 2017

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Man EVGA is on the ball with step ups. My ICX upgrade shipped out Thursday and was autoregistered friday. Submitted for 1080ti step up friday and got approval and submitted payment today. drat icx card wont even be here till thursday so i can ship it right back to EVGA.

Just curious, how much did the step up cost you, if anything? And what model was your previous 1080? Not super excited about the fact that step up will be founders edition cards only, makes water cooling seem like the only option.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cinara posted:

Just curious, how much did the step up cost you, if anything? And what model was your previous 1080? Not super excited about the fact that step up will be founders edition cards only, makes water cooling seem like the only option.

I started with a used 1080SC i got on ebay in October for $515 shipped.

Registered for ICX upgrade for $99 on last day of the offer (2/28)

Got approved and paid $99 to evga and paid $20 to ship it to evga usps 2 day

They auto registered the replacement the day after it shipped so i applied for 1080ti step up immediately and got approved monday.

Paid $62 ($50 + $12 shipping) for the step up and will pay another $20 to ship the ICX back to evga when it arrives tomorrow.

So $515 + $99 + $20 + $62 + 20

Roughly $717 is what I will have spent. Pretty decent since I got to use the 1080 since October and didnt have to resell it.

Need to find someone to buy my 1080 waterblock and hopefully the ek 1080ti block is available next week.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Pretty good deal for you overall.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Speaking of 1080ti's the evga customs are going in and out of stock on their site.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Risky Bisquick posted:

ed2: Looks like RX580/570 leaks are true, just clockspeed increases

Any idea what the timeframe looks like for them?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don Lapre posted:

I started with a used 1080SC i got on ebay in October for $515 shipped.

Registered for ICX upgrade for $99 on last day of the offer (2/28)

Got approved and paid $99 to evga and paid $20 to ship it to evga usps 2 day

They auto registered the replacement the day after it shipped so i applied for 1080ti step up immediately and got approved monday.

Paid $62 ($50 + $12 shipping) for the step up and will pay another $20 to ship the ICX back to evga when it arrives tomorrow.

So $515 + $99 + $20 + $62 + 20

Roughly $717 is what I will have spent. Pretty decent since I got to use the 1080 since October and didnt have to resell it.

Need to find someone to buy my 1080 waterblock and hopefully the ek 1080ti block is available next week.

Is your 1080ti a founders? Cause I'm pretty sure EK came out and said that their reference 1080 block would work on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wacky Delly posted:

Is your 1080ti a founders? Cause I'm pretty sure EK came out and said that their reference 1080 block would work on it.

The titan Pascal fits, not the 1080. A 1080ti block is coming first week of April with a single slot bracket so trying to wait for that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My 1070 sold for $320.

So yay money as I go play retro/old games for a while.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Obsurveyor posted:

It should work, if he has a 1080, otherwise, no it will not work.

Misread, I have no idea but I've read nvidia does do serial number stuff, so don't be surprised if you can't use a code for your card in the future.

DrDork posted:

I thought the consensus was that, as long as the computer being used to register/access the code had the correct card, once the code was issued it was no longer locked? That is, he uses his 1080 computer to log in to GFE under his friend's account, pops in the code, it checks and sees that he has a 1080, issues the game, and then the game can be played on any hardware, 1080 or no.

Just to report back on this. Worked fine (as I kind-of expected). Though, when I first redeemed the code, GFE accepted it, but after linking the GFE and Ubisoft profiles and choosing a game, gave an error (code could no be redeemed) and told me to contact customer support (something I didn't bother with). Went to work, and when I got home, the bundle was still present in the Redeemed-section, but clicking on it allowed me to go through the redemption process again (something I could not do earlier), and this time it worked.

And yes, it's one game per card. Serial number (probably) get's logged, preventing further codes from being redeemed.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

I'm dying over here for the MSI twin frozr equivalent for the 1080ti. I want it, give it to me damnit MSI!

Mine apparently just got picked at Scan (UK), despite still showing as "preorder" in their catalogue. They've already emailed me the game code though. Sadly I booked delivery for mid-April since that's when they expected stock. Might have to try to rearrange.

Other non-FE versions are listed as in stock though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

xthetenth posted:

Any idea what the timeframe looks like for them?

Some rumours were pointing at April/May with Vega afterwards

https://videocardz.com/67693/amd-radeon-rx-570-and-580-exposed

At least the 580 is 8 pin, perhaps now it will be an overclockers dream.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Risky Bisquick posted:

Some rumours were pointing at April/May with Vega afterwards

https://videocardz.com/67693/amd-radeon-rx-570-and-580-exposed

At least the 580 is 8 pin, perhaps now it will be an overclockers dream.

Anybody else remember when Vega releasing last November was mindbogglingly inexcusably late

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

1gnoirents posted:

Anybody else remember when Vega releasing last November was mindbogglingly inexcusably late

From my perspective at least, Vega is far too late. I just got a job, and as soon as I have the cash ready for it, and I can find them in stock, I'm getting an MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X, no doubt about it. AMD is so far behind at the top end, and we have heard no particularly good news about Vega (maybe it slots in between a 1080 and 1080 Ti is about the best we know), that I simply have no faith that AMD will bring a card competitive with the 1080 Ti in every way to market in the next month or two.

They're are just giving away the top end of the market right now, it's absolute madness.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

From my perspective at least, Vega is far too late. I just got a job, and as soon as I have the cash ready for it, and I can find them in stock, I'm getting an MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X, no doubt about it. AMD is so far behind at the top end, and we have heard no particularly good news about Vega (maybe it slots in between a 1080 and 1080 Ti is about the best we know), that I simply have no faith that AMD will bring a card competitive with the 1080 Ti in every way to market in the next month or two.

They're are just giving away the top end of the market right now, it's absolute madness.

Well at least you're "settling" on a good card. Lol the best card ever made I guess. However soon it will just be nvidia competing with themselves and we know how well that tends to work out

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
AMD doesn't have anything really in their lineup that is competitive for 1440p or above.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

Well at least you're "settling" on a good card. Lol the best card ever made I guess. However soon it will just be nvidia competing with themselves and we know how well that tends to work out

Yeah, exactly. I would love to wait several more months and see if AMD helps to drop prices, but I really don't think they're going to have a 1080 Ti killer in all honesty, and they're already going to be too late to market. I've had AMD cards for ages because they offered good price/performance at the time, but when they're not competing at all in a major market segment, then NVIDIA is your only option. Unless you're a fanboy, in which case you'd probably insist that some monstrously awful crossfire configuration will be a suitable equivalent.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 30, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd like a 1080ti, but the price :magical:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Everyone should just buy a GSYNC monitor now and embrace the dark side. We all float down here.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Everyone should just buy a GSYNC monitor now and embrace the dark side. We all float down here.

Nah, I still think it's pretty lousy that NVIDIA doesn't support Adaptive Sync. They can say that GSYNC is better (and by some accounts it is), and market it as the superior product, but it's definitely petty not to support the standard.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Agreed. This normalisation of insane prices is not that pleasant.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 30, 2017

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What was the price range of top-end cards in the past?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Seriously. Price:performance either a 1070 or 1080 really blow the Ti out of the water. I can't justify a $700+ card.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

App13 posted:

:bahgawd: I remember when graphics cards were cheap

$399 9700 Pro
$399 9800 Pro
$499 X800 XTPE
$599 X1800 XT

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I bought a 1440 GSYNC monitor and now I'm trying to talk myself into selling the 970 (that pushes everything OK, but not great) and buy a 1070. But I feel like I'll need to reeeeeeally sell that to the wife and I'm not 100% sure it's worth the effort honestly. When's the next series coming out?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Antioch posted:

I bought a 1440 GSYNC monitor and now I'm trying to talk myself into selling the 970 (that pushes everything OK, but not great) and buy a 1070. But I feel like I'll need to reeeeeeally sell that to the wife and I'm not 100% sure it's worth the effort honestly. When's the next series coming out?

Maybe this fall? I think the original road map was sometime next year, but I've seen rumors that say nVidia might move it up depending on Vega.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tehinternet posted:

Seriously. Price:performance either a 1070 or 1080 really blow the Ti out of the water. I can't justify a $700+ card.

Actually I ran the numbers and on a FPS/$ basis the 1070 is best but the 1080 and 1080Ti are almost tied.

Antioch posted:

Probably between spring and fall of 2018. I'm sort of in the same boat, 1440/165Hz/Gsync monitor with a 970 and I sort of want to upgrade but at the same time I feel like I want to wait for something as powerful as a 1080Ti to come out at around $300-$400.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Antioch posted:

I have a 1440 Gsync with a 1070 (and a 2500k CPU). I pull 90-100 FPS on basically everything with basically everything turned on. Sometimes I notch some of the least efficient visual settings down a notch, but nothing where I'd notice.

Depending on what your 970 is doing right now, the 1070 is very nice at 1440 especially with Gsync.

I wouldn't expect an 1170 in 2017, but as far as I know NVidia has been pretty quiet so who knows.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Lockback posted:

I have a 1440 Gsync with a 1070 (and a 2500k CPU). I pull 90-100 FPS on basically everything with basically everything turned on. Sometimes I notch some of the least efficient visual settings down a notch, but nothing where I'd notice.

Depending on what your 970 is doing right now, the 1070 is very nice at 1440 especially with Gsync.

I wouldn't expect an 1170 in 2017, but as far as I know NVidia has been pretty quiet so who knows.

I'm running a 2500K as well. The 970 does OK, like I said - probably in the range of 50-60 fps in Nier:A, 60-70 in JC3 with some settings turned down, roughly the same in Warcraft but that's because it's a 15 year old poorly optimized game at this point.

I don't feel like I'm getting the full use out of this monitor now. I guess if the 1170s are more than a year away, I could do worse than dropping $500CAD on a 1070.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Mmmm I dunno about the pricing issues, $700 was kind of hitting it out of the ballpark for this one. I cant remember a time where there wasn't a GPU around that or higher especially if you adjust for simple inflation, but I do definitely remember when getting in the $700 range was well into diminishing returns. The 1080ti (and 980ti and 780ti) put an end to that so far.

The only real shift is a $700 card is now feasible for a lot more people it seems

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

..btt posted:

Mine apparently just got picked at Scan (UK), despite still showing as "preorder" in their catalogue. They've already emailed me the game code though. Sadly I booked delivery for mid-April since that's when they expected stock. Might have to try to rearrange.

Other non-FE versions are listed as in stock though.

Wait its out? I'm confused...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Unless you do VR or 4K, the 1080Ti is overkill. If you do one or both of those though, then it is literally just right (going off VR games like Elite, Project Cars, and Dirt Rally. We will see what the future brings but as with anything game and graphics, hopefully it keeps pushing forward).

If you're doing 1440P or less though, unless your pushing for 120-144FPS competitive play FPS, even a 970 should be able to push most games at high detail just fine. Hell my old 760 in my G3258 powered HTPC pushes 1080P at >60FPS 95% of the time with every game I throw at it.

Now if you're doing Ultrawide it gets a bit blurry as well. A 1070 would be really good here for a mimimum for maxed settings (my 980Ti fits here as well) especially if you are going for GSync which allows anything above 30FPS to feel like 120FPS non GSynced, however games like Battlefield 1 can push even a 1080Ti hard here and even that will be in the 80-100FPS range which is fantastic for now, but what about games next year? Who knows as the bar keeps moving.

Just my observations so take it as you will. Being full dive into VR, and having used that Ultrawide Gsync 100Hz beauty for a month, I really want both that screen and a 1080Ti for my Elite Dangerous VR adventures. My 980Ti puts up a good fight, but can't keep it above 90FPS at 1X scaling the entire time and I just can't have that myself.

It ran the Ultrawide really well though and with Gsync, just looks amazing. So you might want to budget in the Gsync tax if you haven't already, into the GPU upgrade cost, or even do Gsync instead of a GPU upgrade until the next generation as it will high the lower FPS behind those beautifully synced frames.

As for expensive GPU's, I remember the first out of 3 8800GTX's I got for a friends build, (The same friend who now has the Ultrwide and 1080Ti...) was a BFG for $650 back when they were new. GPU prices really haven't changed all that much and if anything, the performance of a 1080Ti is a bargain for $699. Remember trying to play Crysis on a 8800GTX, you were lucky to get 30FPS at 1080P. Now look at the best games you have now at 4K are blowing past 60FPS on the norm with a card this powerful...

Unlike the small gap between the 970 and 980 that made it a much better jump to go to the 980Ti, the spread between the 1060, 1070, 1080, and 1080Ti is much more defined, however even something like the 1060 really isn't bad like the 960 was so Nvidia really did good work with this generation to allow you to have good performance across the price range, even without AMD putting any real pressure on their high end.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 30, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

App13 posted:

There were often editions of high end cards (especially on the NVIDIA side) that had crazy prices, but were just the lower version with a tiny clock bump. Now the top end cards are genuinely amazingly faster than the stuff lower down. I guess it's all about perspective.

Some of the good ATI examples were mentioned by Risky Bisquick in the post two down from yours.

Then again, maybe nostalgia is simply tricking me to some degree, not because "good old days" or some poo poo, but because of inflation, and exchange rates. The problem is amplified massively from my perspective because Pounds Sterling is not the absolute powerhouse it used be vs the US Dollar, and no, not because of Brexit, but since the 2008 recession it's been fairly lovely. Have a look at this hilarious chart. 10 years ago, it was basically 2 USD to 1 GBP. Now, it's hovering around 1.2~ USD / GBP. Bear in mind also for most of the time I've been buying components, VAT was 17.5%, and it's now 20% in the UK (although I currently live in a country with a 25% rate).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 30, 2017

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
$700 for a 1080ti seems pretty reasonable unless you're assuming that two 1070s are going to give you double the performance of a single 1070.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Wait its out? I'm confused...

Looks like - the catalogue now says "item due today":

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-11gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-3584-core-1544mhz-gpu-1657mhz-bo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, my case is a bit unorthodox, it does much better with open-air coolers though:

This guy hasn't received enough recognition for how cool this setup is.