Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Bastards are actually gold besides the poor resolve, I pull him out against geists, but he is a beast with 98 melee skill as a two hander with the super sledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The number of bolts/arrows/javelins/axes in your shield should decrease its effectiveness until you chop off the shaft/dislodge the axe.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just had them drop a few days ago, and the two I got had about ~100-120 armour value, so around the level of a patched mail shirt. Still was a decent upgrade for my dudes at the time. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And when you're just fighting bandits, the Resolve penalty for being in melee with someone with direwolf armor on is golden, especially if you have a bunch of them.

Also, if for whatever reason you really wanted a character with Nimble and light armor, well, Direwolf Hide is one of the best 'light' armors.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've only ever got the direwolf hide armour, not the mail armour, but if it hasn't changed it's around 100 armour. I've still got use for that on some brothers so I'm still using it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

This is the wolf mail in my current game and I'm sad if it changes since it's pretty hard to get

Also, 2nd unique find and this one is pretty good

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hammerstein posted:

Just had a village defense mission with 2 pre-battle events which allowed me to tell the militia where to go and what arms to use and then I could command them in battle. Never saw that before.

I'm sorry, but what is on that crossbowman's head?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

marshmallow creep posted:

It's a magic helmet you get for having the Supporter's edition. Doesn't have great armor but looks cool and lets the wearer ignore night-time vision and ranged penalties.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Boy your mercs get tons of morale from murdering poor wardogs :smith:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Soup du Journey posted:

How do you folks put together your backline in terms of defense? Medium armor and dodge? Do you bother with brawny and/or battle forged?

On my current run? THERE IS NO BACKLINE. Just a huge front line and a couple of guys in back ready to swap in when anyone gets injured or tired. (I also always start a battle by looking for choke points like trees and stuff to keep it solid)

So heavy army, brawny and battleforged for everyone!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The number of bolts/arrows/javelins/axes in your shield should decrease its effectiveness until you chop off the shaft/dislodge the axe.

I actually made a thorough suggestion on the forums of a mechanism of this sort to boost throwing weapons, especially since "throwing weapons apply effect until removed" is already in the game as a mechanic in the form of nets.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/topic/making-throwing-weapons-better/

Feel free to bump/support it and help it get noticed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Rap responded!

Contract difficulty scales with time and "the strength of your roster" - which I assume is some combination of levels and equipment and number of recruits?

It might be that using fewer people and lower tier weapons and prioritizing armor might combine to literally make the game easier for you, since armor effectiveness scales up much more quickly than weapon effectiveness...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 30, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Should I be repairing both weapons and armor before selling them?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Soup du Journey posted:

Should I be repairing both weapons and armor before selling them?

It depends, I think, on what you're selling, and whether the expense in tools is paid for in the sales price of the final item. But weapons and armor you sell never go for anything approaching full price, and I don't know how many tools it takes to repair a reinforced mail hauberk compared to a dagger, or if there is even a difference at all! Generally, though, I'm doubtful unless it's a higher end piece of equipment.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

I've only ever got the direwolf hide armour, not the mail armour, but if it hasn't changed it's around 100 armour. I've still got use for that on some brothers so I'm still using it.

They didn't change the armor, they increased the fatigue.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Economics hasn't been discussed too much, but with a little effort you very nicely supplement your income from contracts. In its most basic form, buy trade goods or expensive food (Mead and wine) from small villages, and sell them at large cities. Do this right from the beginning - when you have to travel to the nearby 'big city' before killing Hoggart, buy up the commodities at the starting village, and turn them around for a profit at the bigger town. Easy gold. Later in the game, plan out your routes and financial needs (food, tools, salary) for a few days and hit a bunch of small towns for contracts while you buy their trade goods. End up in a large city (I think regular cities give better prices than massive citadels, need to do more research), and turn a nice profit. It'll never replace contracts, but you can almost feed and pay your guys for 'free' this way, leaving your contract money for recruits and equipment.

You can do even better if you manipulate the current 'status' of the town. Obviously you shouldn't go on a buying spree in a terrified town or one with ambushed trade routes - but you SHOULD go on a selling spree! Selling a stack of Amber or salt in a town not getting any caravans in is a significant price boost over a 'normal' town. And speaking of caravans, those fuckers will buy up commodities out from under you if they get to town first. So don't dawdle and go clear out a bandit camp or other contract before making your purchase, as your competition might beat you to it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wallet posted:

They didn't change the armor, they increased the fatigue.

Ahhh ok then. That's actually not so bad. The reason I like Direwolf is that it falls in a good place for mail armors.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Why don't sieges let you swap out armor or men between waves? I have plenty of men and equipment to do this, but being forced to immediately take guys who got hurt into the very next battle when I could swap them out any other time during the game is awful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jack2142 posted:

Bastards are actually gold besides the poor resolve, I pull him out against geists, but he is a beast with 98 melee skill as a two hander with the super sledge.

I'm not convinced - I don't think that they're particularly better than other martially-focused backgrounds such as militia in terms of melee skill, and the resolve penalty is absolute garbage.

I'm starting to lean towards going directly from hiring nothing but farmers / brawlers / wildmen in the earlier part of the game, later replacing as many as possible with hedge knights (and sellswords, maybe). The mid tier hires don't really seem worth the effort (squires are pretty nice sergeants, but so are wildmen) when they're still generally not good enough to be 'top tier' unlike hedge knights which are basically perfect at level 1 unless you get totally screwed with stat rolls. Adventurous nobles have really good resolve but are usually expensive and can potentially have loving awful ranged defense, like -10 or something.

Is there a way to avoid your hedge knights potentially murdering the gently caress out of each other if you get that event where they start fighting? I've never actually had it happen to me.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The Bramble posted:

Economics hasn't been discussed too much, but with a little effort you very nicely supplement your income from contracts. In its most basic form, buy trade goods or expensive food (Mead and wine) from small villages, and sell them at large cities. Do this right from the beginning - when you have to travel to the nearby 'big city' before killing Hoggart, buy up the commodities at the starting village, and turn them around for a profit at the bigger town. Easy gold. Later in the game, plan out your routes and financial needs (food, tools, salary) for a few days and hit a bunch of small towns for contracts while you buy their trade goods. End up in a large city (I think regular cities give better prices than massive citadels, need to do more research), and turn a nice profit. It'll never replace contracts, but you can almost feed and pay your guys for 'free' this way, leaving your contract money for recruits and equipment.

You can do even better if you manipulate the current 'status' of the town. Obviously you shouldn't go on a buying spree in a terrified town or one with ambushed trade routes - but you SHOULD go on a selling spree! Selling a stack of Amber or salt in a town not getting any caravans in is a significant price boost over a 'normal' town. And speaking of caravans, those fuckers will buy up commodities out from under you if they get to town first. So don't dawdle and go clear out a bandit camp or other contract before making your purchase, as your competition might beat you to it.
I've seen people bring up trading a few times but for me it's mostly about the issue that I never find enough cheap goods to buy to make me want to bother. Like, getting them close to their base worth usually requires status manipulation or real good relations with the town you're buying from. Sure I can get these three stacks of wood/bricks/copper and expect to make like a 100 bucks profit in the end but it's too much busy work for me. Now if I can get these three stacks for a price where I can expect to make like 50+ on each of them then yeah I'm on it. But the latter case happens far more less to me than the former. There's some big bucks to be made if you can snag high value stuff like dyes and other stuff that nets 150+ profit for each stack but outside of that I simply tend to forget about trading since it's such a meager income without status manipulation. I do agree though that the few extra coins can help out a lot in your first few days

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I've seen people bring up trading a few times but for me it's mostly about the issue that I never find enough cheap goods to buy to make me want to bother. Like, getting them close to their base worth usually requires status manipulation or real good relations with the town you're buying from. Sure I can get these three stacks of wood/bricks/copper and expect to make like a 100 bucks profit in the end but it's too much busy work for me. Now if I can get these three stacks for a price where I can expect to make like 50+ on each of them then yeah I'm on it. But the latter case happens far more less to me than the former. There's some big bucks to be made if you can snag high value stuff like dyes and other stuff that nets 150+ profit for each stack but outside of that I simply tend to forget about trading since it's such a meager income without status manipulation. I do agree though that the few extra coins can help out a lot in your first few days

Everything adds up over time

Thats why i always loot everything

You'll pry that 5 gold value club out of my cold dead hands when i sell it to you

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

It helps if you've got some decent trade goods in your preferred area of operations. In my current game I've basically homed in on a little corner with two cities and four villages that I just bounce back and forth between looking for contracts. One of the villages produces Amber (~50-75 profit per stack, produces fairly quickly) and another makes Dyes (~100 profit, produces slowly). So basically I just buy up what they've got together with whatever supplies I need whenever my route leads me there, and then sell it in the city when I get past there. It's not incredible money compared to contracts, but even including the time to restock it does work out to some average ~200 profit per day at absolutely no risk. That's really nice to have when you're still stuck doing 1-skull or 2-skull contracts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I guess my men aren't ready for overcoming a siege. I can, if I'm lucky, clear the first wave without casualties, but my frontline is so shredded by then that beating the second wave will absolutely lead to unacceptably high casualties. Really wish I could swap in fresh men between waves.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone here pick up The Great Whale Road? Came out of EA today, looks kind of similar. Is it worth the cash monies?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Soup du Journey posted:

Anyone here pick up The Great Whale Road? Came out of EA today, looks kind of similar. Is it worth the cash monies?

I'd also like to know this.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just found the black spire.

wouldn't recommend it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not convinced - I don't think that they're particularly better than other martially-focused backgrounds such as militia in terms of melee skill, and the resolve penalty is absolute garbage.

I'm starting to lean towards going directly from hiring nothing but farmers / brawlers / wildmen in the earlier part of the game, later replacing as many as possible with hedge knights (and sellswords, maybe). The mid tier hires don't really seem worth the effort (squires are pretty nice sergeants, but so are wildmen) when they're still generally not good enough to be 'top tier' unlike hedge knights which are basically perfect at level 1 unless you get totally screwed with stat rolls. Adventurous nobles have really good resolve but are usually expensive and can potentially have loving awful ranged defense, like -10 or something.

Is there a way to avoid your hedge knights potentially murdering the gently caress out of each other if you get that event where they start fighting? I've never actually had it happen to me.

On the flip side I have personally never got much luck with wild men the defense penalties even if I slap a kite on them they always seem to end up arrow fodder and get pincushion'd before they can level up. Squires I think depending on the stars can be really good, my bannerman for the Lamenters is a Squire, he had 2 ranged stars and 60+ melee skill at hire already + good resolve. So I was able to pump him up to be a 92 skill war bow archer, in addition to being competent with the standard and have 120ish resolve.

In regards to the bastard, yes the resolve penalty sucks, but with my standard bearer and his heavy armor + battle forged he pretty much never takes a hit that will cause him to run and the two times he has my flag bearer rallied him that same turn. I agree however with the assertions that retired soldiers/nobles aren't really worth it mostly due to the huge fatigue penalties both backgrounds have and ranged penalties on the nobles they have which is worse than cheaper backgrounds.

Another thing I noticed on hiring my Witch Hunter guy early on he didn't have any stars in range attack (sucks) however he still rolled 3's or better every time he leveled up, I haven't had to recruit another actual archer background yet, but I wonder if thats the norm. Farmers even if they don't have stars seem to naturally get 3's & 4's for fatigue as well. So he topped out at 88 ranged skill which isn't perfect, but still means he hits the vast majority of his shots.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Today I learned that a crossbowman can miss his target and overshoot, killing a brother. Rest in peace, Meinolf Hammerbro, you were pretty okay.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jack2142 posted:

On the flip side I have personally never got much luck with wild men the defense penalties even if I slap a kite on them they always seem to end up arrow fodder and get pincushion'd before they can level up. Squires I think depending on the stars can be really good, my bannerman for the Lamenters is a Squire, he had 2 ranged stars and 60+ melee skill at hire already + good resolve. So I was able to pump him up to be a 92 skill war bow archer, in addition to being competent with the standard and have 120ish resolve.

In regards to the bastard, yes the resolve penalty sucks, but with my standard bearer and his heavy armor + battle forged he pretty much never takes a hit that will cause him to run and the two times he has my flag bearer rallied him that same turn. I agree however with the assertions that retired soldiers/nobles aren't really worth it mostly due to the huge fatigue penalties both backgrounds have and ranged penalties on the nobles they have which is worse than cheaper backgrounds.

Another thing I noticed on hiring my Witch Hunter guy early on he didn't have any stars in range attack (sucks) however he still rolled 3's or better every time he leveled up, I haven't had to recruit another actual archer background yet, but I wonder if thats the norm. Farmers even if they don't have stars seem to naturally get 3's & 4's for fatigue as well. So he topped out at 88 ranged skill which isn't perfect, but still means he hits the vast majority of his shots.

Yeah sometimes you just get abnormally lucky with skill ups which is why having good bases is so useful. Wildmen defense penalty isn't that bad, it feels worse than it actually is, to the point that I actually stopped using them for a while, but in theory if you get a wildman with talents or lucky levels in defense stats he's going to be much better in the long run than something like a militia guy with a fatigue talent, because their starting resolve / fatigue / hp is so good that those areas are already fairly sorted. You just need to bear this in mind when taking stat increases and put less emphasis on fatigue than you might otherwise.

Squires are definitely worth hiring if you still need a sergeant when they become a viable prospect to pick up, or to just increase your reserves a bit, but if you get some decent luck with cheaper backgrounds (gamblers are really good as well) you can have a very good sergeant without them. Witch hunters are also worth a mention as they have great ranged skill and resolve so if you want to have a rally archer they're a good choice.

Really though just get hedge knights, they own, which is probably why they're so loving expensive. The only area they really fall down in compared to sellswords is ranged skill and defense, but have significantly better hp, fatigue and resolve.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

marshmallow creep posted:

Fangshire helmet which gives you night vision.

It's a reward for buying the "support the devs" upgrade on Steam. Lets you have one useful archer at night.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I wish the fangshire had better armor. I love it at night but oh boy is it arrow to the skull bait.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I finally beat the undead invasion :woop:. I was almost ready to just give up. I was pissed that I bought a nice expensive sellsword with good stats, only to have him impaled by a skeleton pike in his very first battle. I lost 27 men in the whole campaign. I played for a little bit more and then retired the campaign. I was disappointed that I never found a single unique item though, despite looting tons of enemy camps.

Next time I guess I'll try something different. There are so many different tactics you can try that makes me keep coming back.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I was disappointed that I never found a single unique item though, despite looting tons of enemy camps.

I've found maybe 2 unique items from locations, and the rest from killing named enemies. I found at least 4 unique swords in my first noble war because of all the knights I fought.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Kenzie posted:

I was almost ready to just give up. I was pissed that I bought a nice expensive sellsword with good stats, only to have him impaled by a skeleton pike in his very first battle.

I have that happen a lot. The first week, until they find their spot in the squad lineup, is the most dangerous for rookies, even when they come with a few levels and strong potential. It's kinda scary how much this is in accordance with actual war reports.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've reached a point in the game where I'm not just living paycheque by paycheque. I've got three or four great guys who are maybe level four or five, lots of average brothers, and couple of clunkers who are nevertheless level two or three. It's Day 20, and I can reasonably take out Raiders with some confidence.

My question is, how should I be spending my crowns? I understand that armour is a sensible purchase, but I'm fully kitted out with Raider armour on my frontline and starting to feel it pinch their Fatigue. I've got a bunch of third tier weapons, such as flails, hand axes, arming swords, a pike, and a two-handed sword whose name escapes me. Should I save up for a Hedge Knight, to replace one of my bad dudes and/or pilfer their gear? I've never gotten this far in the game and been this healthy, so I don't want to gently caress it up!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You want good armour for your men. Those mail shirts you're getting off raiders won't cut it for much longer; you want to proof them against the fights you're having. You should also consider getting a few reserve brothers on the go, and this will give you the opportunity to replace the mediocre guys too.

When you say it's starting to pinch their fatigue, what kind of number are we talking about? 50-60 is acceptable for survivability's sake.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I've reached a point in the game where I'm not just living paycheque by paycheque. I've got three or four great guys who are maybe level four or five, lots of average brothers, and couple of clunkers who are nevertheless level two or three. It's Day 20, and I can reasonably take out Raiders with some confidence.

My question is, how should I be spending my crowns? I understand that armour is a sensible purchase, but I'm fully kitted out with Raider armour on my frontline and starting to feel it pinch their Fatigue. I've got a bunch of third tier weapons, such as flails, hand axes, arming swords, a pike, and a two-handed sword whose name escapes me. Should I save up for a Hedge Knight, to replace one of my bad dudes and/or pilfer their gear? I've never gotten this far in the game and been this healthy, so I don't want to gently caress it up!

Save for that big armor. Don't worry about buying hedge knights unless you want the knight himself, as the cost to hire them does take into account their gear - so you can buy straight from the armorer if that's what you want.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So... maybe confirmation bias but I have been trying a run with only six people and making sure they are the best six I can afford and not keeping mediocre dudes and it really does feel a ton easier.

I wonder if reservists also increase the difficulty and by how much? Also I imagine at some point time will become a more dominant factor so I will want to expand, but at least for the early game fewer dudes with better stats seems to be the way to go.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

ShootaBoy posted:

I'd also like to know this.

I'd say definitely yes. It's like a cross between a bit-easier banner saga and KODP, roughly halfway between, very fun if a bit repetitive.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I got a named 2 handed axe from a Hedge Knight during a noble war battle.

I was so thrilled I forgot to loot it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

NewMars posted:

I'd say definitely yes. It's like a cross between a bit-easier banner saga and KODP, roughly halfway between, very fun if a bit repetitive.

interesting. does it have an end, or can you just dick around until the end of time like in battle bros?