Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

bamhand posted:

So my favorite decks are gimmicky ones with graveyard recursion like Scream, Kalis, and Xenan Killer. Any other decks that do something besides play creatures/weapons until your opponent runs out of answers?

This STFJ deck has been an absolute blast to play off-and-on for the last month. Madness/Safe Return is so much fun, and it can just bulldoze the opponent's board with Recursive Killer Copper Conduits, smashing them in the face all the while.

pre:
4 Copper Conduit (Set1 #66)
4 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Predator's Instinct (Set1 #75)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Safe Return (Set1 #330)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
3 Devour (Set1 #261)
3 Find the Way (Set1 #513)
4 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
4 Madness (Set1 #267)
2 Righteous Fury (Set1 #322)
2 Grasping at Shadows (Set1 #292)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
2 Jekk, the Bounty Hunter (Set1001 #11)
3 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
3 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
3 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
2 Seat of Impulse (Set0 #54)
4 Seat of Mystery (Set0 #61)
4 Seat of Progress (Set0 #58)
2 Seat of Vengeance (Set0 #55)
There's also a TJS version that doesn't play Quarry and Jekk, so that's something to look at if you haven't sprung for Jekk's Bounty yet.

pre:
2 Protect (Set1 #132)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
4 Devour (Set1 #261)
1 Combrei Healer (Set1 #333)
4 Hooru Envoy (Set1 #155)
4 Madness (Set1 #267)
4 Order of the Spire (Set1 #149)
1 Grasping at Shadows (Set1 #292)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
7 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
4 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

That is super janky and amazing and know what I'm playing when the thrill of 3x channel to the face gets old.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Meridian posted:

Is it just me or is it possible to do way better in draft in this game even with what feels like relatively bad picks compared to hearthstone? I drafted a time/justice combo that honestly wasn't that great at all. Curved decently, but I took it 6-3 and I've only been playing the game for a few days. In Hearthstone it's not uncommon for me to get rolled every game when I do an arena run.

It's pretty refreshing.

Don't get too refreshed.

I might just suck, but after BREADing my way through the first few drafts to 5-7 wins, I ranked up and hit a wall where players actually know what they're doing and mediocre drafts started getting me mediocre results.

On a side note, I really want to like this game, but even for a CCG, the rarity = power gradient is a little absurd. 4 mana = 5/6 with 2 abilities? Really?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

This STFJ deck has been an absolute blast to play off-and-on for the last month. Madness/Safe Return is so much fun, and it can just bulldoze the opponent's board with Recursive Killer Copper Conduits, smashing them in the face all the while.

pre:
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
3 Devour (Set1 #261)
4 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
4 Madness (Set1 #267)
2 Righteous Fury (Set1 #322)
2 Grasping at Shadows (Set1 #292)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
2 Jekk, the Bounty Hunter (Set1001 #11)
3 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
3 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
3 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
2 Seat of Impulse (Set0 #54)
There's also a TJS version that doesn't play Quarry and Jekk, so that's something to look at if you haven't sprung for Jekk's Bounty yet.

pre:
2 Protect (Set1 #132)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
4 Devour (Set1 #261)
1 Combrei Healer (Set1 #333)
4 Hooru Envoy (Set1 #155)
4 Madness (Set1 #267)
4 Order of the Spire (Set1 #149)
1 Grasping at Shadows (Set1 #292)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
7 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
4 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)

OK I'm laughing pretty hard at the Righteous Fury inclusion. Thanks!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LSV is streaming right now, says that there's going to be a 3 card promo coming soon, that they are all two-faction cards, and one is Time/Shadow

https://www.twitch.tv/lsv

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I was just getting to bed but I think he said

Arcane Monitor 5 FTT Your other units get +1+1. This gets +1+1 for each of your other units.

didn't catch its base stats.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Scraptank Praxis is back baby.

E: Lost a great draft with 1 win because I got hit by a loving Carpet Shuffle deck and got mana-screwed.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 28, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

I was just getting to bed but I think he said

Arcane Monitor 5 FTT Your other units get +1+1. This gets +1+1 for each of your other units.

didn't catch its base stats.

It's actually FFTT

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing they didn't say how you'll get those promos yet? I have a Praxis deck and ideas for a Xenan deck.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm guessing they didn't say how you'll get those promos yet? I have a Praxis deck and ideas for a Xenan deck.

Probably the same way you got the last sets of promos, with a ranked game with time delay between each one

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Patch is tomorrow. Three new cards, including the one I mentioned earlier, unless LSV was loving with his stream (very possible)

Also, new Redraw system

quote:

The initial draw will no longer feature hands with no power cards, nor with all power cards.
If you choose to redraw your starting hand, your new hand will contain two, three, or four power cards (with an equal chance of each).

Source

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Patch is tomorrow. Three new cards, including the one I mentioned earlier, unless LSV was loving with his stream (very possible)

Also, new Redraw system

Source

Do they say anywhere what the cards actually are?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a Praxis, Hooru and Xenan dude coming, not sure what their actual card text is though.

It's kind of disappointing since there's decks for those combos that already kind of work, I want to see if we can get something for Argenport or Skycrag.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Do they say anywhere what the cards actually are?

nope

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Three new cards, surely this will re-engage the waning player base

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I do like that you can't mulligan into a DOA hand, but what's the logic for not just applying that to the first hand too?

I mean, is it really important to preserve the 'variety' of having 1 or all-but-1 mana opening hands, which are almost always going to be an auto-mulligan anyways?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Watch out. Continue that line of questioning and at 3 AM on a discord server somewhere somebody is going to namedrop some 40 year old card game players nobody sane has ever heard of who have a different opinion.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

No Wave posted:

Watch out. Continue that line of questioning and at 3 AM on a discord server somewhere somebody is going to namedrop some 40 year old card game players nobody sane has ever heard of who have a different opinion.

I don't get it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

new redraw sounds interesting

curious to see what new cards are

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Avasculous posted:

I do like that you can't mulligan into a DOA hand, but what's the logic for not just applying that to the first hand too?

I mean, is it really important to preserve the 'variety' of having 1 or all-but-1 mana opening hands, which are almost always going to be an auto-mulligan anyways?
I agree, I think because the wway the system is now, most of mulligan choices are just based on amount of power anyways. It'd be nice to have a bit more freedom to mulligan for early game cards or matchup specific ones.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The hardest hands to decide on are the mediocre hands with functional mana, because you know that if you click that mulligan button you could end up with, like, two power of one colour and just not get to play anything at all that game.

I guess they don't want to do the "mulligan as much as you want but you get one fewer card every time" to help distinguish it from MTG, but it really does do wonders as far as letting both players actually play most of the time. It's a lot easier to take that first mulligan when you know that, even if you get a completely unplayable hand, you can just mulligan again - you'll be at a disadvantage, but you'll still get to play.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

The hardest hands to decide on are the mediocre hands with functional mana, because you know that if you click that mulligan button you could end up with, like, two power of one colour and just not get to play anything at all that game.

I guess they don't want to do the "mulligan as much as you want but you get one fewer card every time" to help distinguish it from MTG, but it really does do wonders as far as letting both players actually play most of the time. It's a lot easier to take that first mulligan when you know that, even if you get a completely unplayable hand, you can just mulligan again - you'll be at a disadvantage, but you'll still get to play.
Paris mulligan is far worse win odds than a fixed mulligan into 2-4 mana.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

A mull to 5 reduces your win percentage by half so no, I'd rather have two shots at a playable seven than to Paris myself into oblivion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

No Wave posted:

Paris mulligan is far worse win odds than a fixed mulligan into 2-4 mana.

Actual win odds don't matter as much as player perception does. It's far less frustrating to start down 2 cards and eventually lose to being 1-for-1d by your opponent a bunch than it is to literally not be able to play a card because your mulligan gave you power of one colour and spells of another.

You could even do a first-mulligan-is-free thing (or even crib more from magic and do a free scry) if you felt that immediately being down a card was too penalizing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

Actual win odds don't matter as much as player perception does. It's far less frustrating to start down 2 cards and eventually lose to being 1-for-1d by your opponent a bunch than it is to literally not be able to play a card because your mulligan gave you power of one colour and spells of another.

You could even do a first-mulligan-is-free thing (or even crib more from magic and do a free scry) if you felt that immediately being down a card was too penalizing.
Might work for physical MTG where over the course of three months you might play a few dozen games. But in online games people adapt to reality really quickly, and perception will catch up with reality very quickly.

I don't think power issues are at all the problem with the game right now. The most pressing issue is that they need to release another set, but the way they devs are behaving it doesn't seem like it's going to happen until fall, which is way too late and the game will be completely dead by then.

Until then, more strange half-assed non-interviews with retired magic the gathering players while somebody with the screen name scarlatch hints about the really exciting card they'll be releasing a month from now that won't go into any competitive decks.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 30, 2017

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
New promo quest is live.

3 New cards.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My name got changed for being inappropriate, it was shiftlessjunglebum.

It's a quote from the disney jungle book movie.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
These promo cards are pretty bad, Azindel's hella fiddly for a benefit he can't really cash in on yet and the Hooru guy synergises with weapons, exactly what you go green or blue for. Praxis robot is fine I guess. Ask me again when the new set comes out or someone invents a solid 3 color aggro deck.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 31, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

rumble in the bunghole posted:

These promo cards are pretty bad, Azindel's hella fiddly for a benefit he can't really cash in on yet and the Hooru guy synergises with weapons, exactly what you go green or blue for. Praxis robot is fine I guess. Ask me again when the new set comes out or someone invents a solid 3 color aggro deck.

Hooru guy slots perfectly into Hooru midrange. So yeah, he's pretty good.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Feels good man.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I had my most ridiculous win yet.

I have the Flying Stranger (3/3), one of the req. Strangers (2/2), and a random 4-mana creature. I'm at ~5 life (and dead on board next turn), and my opponent is at 18.

I cast Unstable Mutation on the 4-mana creature twice, in case there's a 6-mana, flying, 13-attack creature I don't know about.

I get the 6-mana Double Damage Stranger (4/4), which gives me 18 damage and the win.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How many copies of the promo cards can you get? Does it cap out at 4? Or can you dust them and keep getting more?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

bamhand posted:

How many copies of the promo cards can you get? Does it cap out at 4? Or can you dust them and keep getting more?

4 has been the case before.

Baaulp
Sep 6, 2011
Ran an Icaria blue list up to diamond 1 until I ended up falling back down to diamond 3 once everyone started switching to different aggro decks or playing xenan obelisks. Thinking I should just switch decks as long as the meta stays this way but I don't really know what. Any recommendations?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Baaulp posted:

Ran an Icaria blue list up to diamond 1 until I ended up falling back down to diamond 3 once everyone started switching to different aggro decks or playing xenan obelisks. Thinking I should just switch decks as long as the meta stays this way but I don't really know what. Any recommendations?

Jitoless jito baby.

4 Grenadin Drone (Set1 #5)
4 Knifejack (Set1 #257)
4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Rapid Shot (Set1 #259)
4 Ruthless Stranger (Set1 #11)
2 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Argenport Instigator (Set1 #268)
1 Frontier Jito (Set1 #9)
4 Assembly Line (Set1 #29)
4 Rally (Set1 #33)
4 Shadowlands Guide (Set1 #280)
3 Bandit Queen (Set1 #389)
8 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
5 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Stonescar Banner (Set1 #419)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

This deck hasn't been giving me stellar results, but boy is it fun when it goes off. You can swing a lot of games quickly with a single Beastcaller trigger, but why stop at just one? I think I need to find a spot for another Crystalize though, card is so clutch in some matchups.

Haunting Felnscar

3 Levitate (Set1 #190)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
2 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Haunting Scream (Set1 #374)
4 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
4 Direwood Beastcaller (Set1 #271)
3 Gorgon Fanatic (Set1 #375)
3 Mirror Image (Set1 #217)
2 Scheme (Set1 #213)
4 Cabal Spymaster (Set1001 #14)
4 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Rain of Frogs (Set1 #221)
3 Calderan Gunsmith (Set1 #46)
1 Crystallize (Set1 #232)
2 West-Wind Herald (Set1 #231)
1 Scouting Party (Set1 #488)
2 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
3 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
3 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
1 Stonescar Banner (Set1 #419)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
As a suggestion, if you deal face damage with Overwhelm, it triggers infiltrates, so try out that synergy.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Man I'm sick as hell of Marshall Ironthorn. Had someone combo the new Azindel card with Ironthorns and get up to 30 power and unleash The Great Parliament with an Obelisk up so he flooded with 6/6 flyers.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Okay, went back to just playing a Nicto deck knowing it won't win a ton but would be fun and drawing a Passage of Eons against someone with 3 Obelisks and a Vault of the Praxis up is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Man I'm sick as hell of Marshall Ironthorn. Had someone combo the new Azindel card with Ironthorns and get up to 30 power and unleash The Great Parliament with an Obelisk up so he flooded with 6/6 flyers.

Come on you have to give him some credit, that's better than just playing Big Combrei.