Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Notice that Sprint always talks about a reliability metric in their commercials.

I'm fairly certain that reliability as a metric is measured by dropped calls which is totally a thing which smartphone users would be concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
It's weird having broad national commercials about cell phone coverage, because unless you're a jet-setter-type who is traveling all over the country constantly, why would you give a poo poo about how great coverage is everywhere else besides where you live?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Parachute posted:

It's weird having broad national commercials about cell phone coverage, because unless you're a jet-setter-type who is traveling all over the country constantly, why would you give a poo poo about how great coverage is everywhere else besides where you live?

I chalk that up in the same vein as truck makers advertising their vehicles being strong enough to drive up mountains and through deserts when 80% of them will never leave smooth pavement.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's a positive to brag about, and that you can use to belittle your competition. Even if Company B has more reliable towers, Company A is going to brag that they have MORE TOWERS to make it seem like they're better than company B. Even if all of those towers have half the range, there's MORE OF THEM, and that's what's important (to their marketing strategy).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Parachute posted:

Eh, the most I drive on a regular basis is between Pennsylvania and Maryland, and the data coverage on that 2 hour drive was loving atrocious on T-Mobile so that meant no music streaming while I was driving and no anything else fun when I wasn't. So I guess if you're so much as driving between areas that are outside big cities, it could make all the difference in those patchy areas.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you have family scattered across the country it can help to know if there's coverage in their neck of the woods, too. I chose my carrier based off of whose towers they used since where my dad lives there's only one company with 3g coverage

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I can't wait to taunt my daughter with "I couldn't use my first cell phone until after 9 pm" and "I didn't send text messages regularly until I was 27". Meanwhile she's 2 and can start, and play, Neko Atsume on my phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

I can't wait to taunt my daughter with "I couldn't use my first cell phone until after 9 pm" and "I didn't send text messages regularly until I was 27". Meanwhile she's 2 and can start, and play, Neko Atsume on my phone.

Gonna suck when she has social development issues because she's glued to a screen all day

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

vyst posted:

Gonna suck when she has social development issues because she's glued to a screen all day

What the gently caress is this? Go gently caress yourself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hardee's/Carl's Jr has announced that they're finally going to stop doing the "sexy lady eats burger" commercials.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hopefully those commercials are replaced with robotic animals eating their burgers. I want to see an android monkey consume fast food while scary, scary music plays in the background.

I would also settle for ghosts eating burgers, ala Slimer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They aren't just stopping the commercials. They have a new commercial about how they're no longer doing those style commercials with "Carl Sr" blaming "Carl Jr" for everything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Hardee's/Carl's Jr has announced that they're finally going to stop doing the "sexy lady eats burger" commercials.

Maybe they'll also stop using that sound effect when someone's biting into a burger that sounds like a pile of dried leaves being crushed.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I would be pleased as punch if I never have to hear " I need a hero" play in a commercial ever again.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If the Ferris Bueller wannabe in the Domino's commercial got hit by a train, I would be okay with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

If the Ferris Bueller wannabe in the Domino's commercial got hit by a train, I would be okay with it.

He was big on Stranger Things, that's why he's doing an 80's theme commercial.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

He was big on Stranger Things, that's why he's doing an 80's theme commercial.

Welp, that's a good reason to not watch that show.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's really no reasons not to watch that show because it's p awesome

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is a bad decision.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And he's a fairly minor character in it if you really can't stand the sight of him.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
He does have a punchable face but it's a good show and they take advantage of his punchability with his character arc 🙂

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, watch Stranger Things, it's good

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Mister Kingdom posted:

My problem with the Ferris Bueller Domino's ad is that I always expect Jeffrey Jones to be there with the pizza. :can:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/848982344111280130

:psyduck:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I just got a commercial involving Duke Nukem in A Christmas Carol. And it may no joke be the worst commercial I have ever seen. Literally everything about it is just wrong. :psyduck:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So, that Pepsi ad.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kay Kessler posted:

I just got a commercial involving Duke Nukem in A Christmas Carol. And it may no joke be the worst commercial I have ever seen. Literally everything about it is just wrong. :psyduck:

What what where!?? I need to see this!!! :aaa:

E: well holy shitballs, we're getting a new Bulletstorm too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNClmw3AoUk

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 6, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beastie posted:

So, that Pepsi ad.

I saw people claiming "Well, maybe Pepsi did this on purpose, after all, it got people talking!"

Somehow, I doubt that:

https://twitter.com/pepsi/status/84...r%3D158%23pti20

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Money Supermarket came out with the best/worst advert a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vo6YG9U_o8

Hash Tag EPIC SKELETOR.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beastie posted:

So, that Pepsi ad.

Between this and the makeup commercial a couple years ago where she struts down a city sidewalk to a song about a prostitute, Baby Kardashian should probably find a new agent

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

What what where!?? I need to see this!!! :aaa:

E: well holy shitballs, we're getting a new Bulletstorm too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNClmw3AoUk

No, they're re-releasing Bulletstorm and because Gearbox somehow got involved they're kind of shoehorning in a mode where you play as Duke.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, they're re-releasing Bulletstorm and because Gearbox somehow got involved they're kind of shoehorning in a mode where you play as Duke.

Is it even really a mode? I thought they just swap out the character model and voice lines for the exact same campaign.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're advertising it like it is something else but yeah, going by a video released today it literally is the same story with not even completely unique dialogue for Duke. A lot of the time he still uses the same lines as the original script.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Also they removed the original release of Bulletstorm from Steam so that anybody who wants to buy it has to shell out several times more for their largely redundant PC rerelease.

They did the same thing for their Duke Nukem 3d rerelease last year, they removed the old remaster and then made you pay twice as much for a new one that actually had less content. Gearbox is the worst.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Guy Mann posted:

Also they removed the original release of Bulletstorm from Steam so that anybody who wants to buy it has to shell out several times more for their largely redundant PC rerelease.

They did the same thing for their Duke Nukem 3d rerelease last year, they removed the old remaster and then made you pay twice as much for a new one that actually had less content. Gearbox is the worst.

Not to mention Gearbox partnering with G2A, a site notorious for buying game licenses from individuals who bought them first-party with stolen credit cards, thus screwing developers and giving G2A a hearty profit margin.

Gearbox is cold diarrhea in a dixie cup.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They seriously said the words "hash tag turnt" jesus christ

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Thank god march madness is over so we don't have to endure those "and you don't want to miss a THAAANG!" commercials. Not funny the thousandth time. Also gently caress that "oo oo oo ole ole!" "I meditate because my girlfriend told me too" commercial.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

rocket_man38 posted:

Thank god march madness is over so we don't have to endure those "and you don't want to miss a THAAANG!" commercials. Not funny the thousandth time. Also gently caress that "oo oo oo ole ole!" "I meditate because my girlfriend told me too" commercial.

The irony of them trying to sell you on DIRECTV by saying you won't miss anything in the tournament if you have their service while watching it on the free NCAA March Madness app is just hilarious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1lngzDopk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a weird ad for a podcast on TV. They were basically just doing the original Ghostbusters' TV ad though.