Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah if plane is going bottom up we usually drop into the island down there. Usually a friend and I hit the tower thing with a stairwell on each end, each going up a side. Wait for the gunfire to end bellow and clear out the last few guys. Then hit the 8+ crates on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If you get stuck in first person press V.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone want to group up or need a fourth? I'm not great but I'm itching to play the team game after a lot of solo. Steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/nationalbohman

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Discord is in the OP, use that to find players.

If anyone is on the fence about this game, buy it. It's very complete for early access, queues are instantaneous, and the core mechanics are extremely good.

It's actually a very cerebral game, and 2v2 in particular feels just fantastic.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Definitely what I enjoy about it, yeah. Even if your twitch FPS skills are garbage, you can still do well and even get a bunch of kills just through better planning and positioning. Like I feel like any time I'm just in a straight shootout with other players I've hosed up and am playing the game wrong.

And at the same time, you can have a completely goofy gently caress-around game just by jumping with as many people as possible and hoping you can find a shotgun or uzi before that guy you just saw sprint around the corner.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 31, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man, I love this game. There are some issues, but the developer seems to be very active and hardworking.

The best part is just firefights in mid-lategame. It just feels... good.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

:smug:

I'm not convinced ratings actually have any meaningful significance.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Having a single bad game kicks you out of Top100

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Man, you guys are really talking this game up. It wasn't on my radar, but man, sounds like fun.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Man, you guys are really talking this game up. It wasn't on my radar, but man, sounds like fun.

It is! When the servers aren't broken, which seems to be a lot for me since the last big patch. They've released another smaller one an hour ago to hopefully fix that, but I can't connect at the moment to test it out.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They released a 13mb patch a few hours ago and a 500mb one an hour ago. Since the 500mb one I've had much less lag but Ymmv

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The game is dope. From concept down to execution, and it's gonna get better and better. So many different ways to approach gameplay, there's truly something for everyone.

Like Vulgar mentioned, my only complaint is certain segments of the map take a lot of the fun and 'skill' out of it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Got paired up with a guy who seemed like he knew what he was talking about and told me a tactic, tried that tactic my first solo game and won it.

Get a decent gun, vest and a helmet and back pack, stay on the very edge of the white circle in a suitable building and pick people off as they flee the blue line inwards, move in and repeat as the blue line gets to you.

Had some amazing fights, including lots of multiple shooter fights as the safe area got smaller and smaller, its hilarious to see a car careening past fleeing the blue line only to get shot by everyone waiting in the safe area.

That can work, but is also fairly risky in its own way. Essentially, by staying at the edge of the white circle, the problem is that you are forced to move potentially a fairly long distance with each constriction. And in the last three or four constrictions, the area is so small and often open that having to move at all can quickly be a death sentence, particularly if you have to contend with possible enemies both to the front and rear.
That's how I lost my latest game: I had really neat equipment with level 3 armour, an AWM, and a tricked-out SCAR. It was down to just me and another dude in a forested area near opposite edges of the current circle. Circle shrunk towards his side, he was still in it but I far outside, and that was more or less it. I had no more smoke grenades left and my opponent wouldn't peek because he knew I had a sniper. So all that was left for me was to make a break for it and hope to kill him with a snap headshot in the open before he could kill me, which didn't pan out. :saddowns:

Those times we've managed to win so far were basically achieved by getting close to the centre of the circle early on, and then moving as early and little as possible towards each new centre in time. People will still be mulching each other in the outskirts, while you've got the luxury of just having to pick off what's left. That approach is more reliant on having good all-around cover, though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Perestroika posted:

That can work, but is also fairly risky in its own way. Essentially, by staying at the edge of the white circle, the problem is that you are forced to move potentially a fairly long distance with each constriction. And in the last three or four constrictions, the area is so small and often open that having to move at all can quickly be a death sentence, particularly if you have to contend with possible enemies both to the front and rear.
That's how I lost my latest game: I had really neat equipment with level 3 armour, an AWM, and a tricked-out SCAR. It was down to just me and another dude in a forested area near opposite edges of the current circle. Circle shrunk towards his side, he was still in it but I far outside, and that was more or less it. I had no more smoke grenades left and my opponent wouldn't peek because he knew I had a sniper. So all that was left for me was to make a break for it and hope to kill him with a snap headshot in the open before he could kill me, which didn't pan out. :saddowns:

Those times we've managed to win so far were basically achieved by getting close to the centre of the circle early on, and then moving as early and little as possible towards each new centre in time. People will still be mulching each other in the outskirts, while you've got the luxury of just having to pick off what's left. That approach is more reliant on having good all-around cover, though.

In these kind of situations, particularly towards the end, I tended to go prone, it seems like it makes you invisible if your behind a bush or small verge.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

willie_dee posted:

In these kind of situations, particularly towards the end, I tended to go prone, it seems like it makes you invisible if your behind a bush or small verge.

People ttend to say that going prone is a poor, Day-Z tactic. but maybe they just mean in a firefight.

This game is weird. I had my best result (top 4) when I was AFK for most of the looting time. I lucked into a good circle position and a car, which helped me get into an even better position. But I had barely any gear and had to run over an open area close to the end of the game. Was downed quite easily by an SKS. Got two kills though (also my best result).

The first kill was strange. A guy in a house totally surprised me, but he was warping and lagging up and down in place, like he was having a seizure, and I managed to put him down with my AK. He had a shotgun, but was otherwise fairly geared. He did actually hit me with the shotgun, but I didn't even realise for a while, because my health bar was actually zero. Never seen it so low.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I like that there still isn't a meta. There isn't a killer loadout (besides armor but yeah that's obvious), there isn't a winning strat. You can either be a gunplay god, or a devious ratfucker and go exactly the same distance to success. You can hug the circle or camp the middle, you can hide in houses or stay outdoors the whole time.

A week in and it's pretty amazing that the tryhards haven't broken the gameplay yet.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

A week in and it's pretty amazing that the tryhards haven't broken the gameplay yet.

I think the collapsing blue circle has something to do with it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think the collapsing blue circle has something to do with it.

They try, though. Watch Summit1G's stream, he literally does the same strat over and over (namely driving to the coast and looting the containers) and he either wins because he's good at gunplay or gets destroyed by positioning.

When he gets destroyed by positioning, he does indeed blame the circle. It's hilarious.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I was watching Summit1G's stream a couple days ago, it was difficult to have audio on while doing it because he'd be whining in an ear piercing note constantly, audio off wasn't bad.

When my buddy and I see a lot of other players jump out of the plane at the same time as us we create as much distance to others as possible, getting into early fights just isn't worth the risk of the other guys getting the good guns first.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Most engagements happen between 100m and 300m anyway, and late game you're forced into that situation anyway. It doesn't hurt to have a sniper and an 8x, and a suppressed assault rifle is nice, but if I have lvl 2 armor, helmet and bag, a few medkits and boosts, and an automatic rifle I consider myself geared. It just seems that a reliance on looting the best possible gear puts you at a disadvantage time and distance wise.

Yesterday a dude had an AWM, 8x and a suppressor for it and I ganked his rear end with a base level UMP as he was scoping for easy kills. He never knew I was stalking him for 5 minutes prior to camping that tree. All his armor and weapons got him zilch.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

I like that there still isn't a meta. There isn't a killer loadout (besides armor but yeah that's obvious), there isn't a winning strat. You can either be a gunplay god, or a devious ratfucker and go exactly the same distance to success. You can hug the circle or camp the middle, you can hide in houses or stay outdoors the whole time.

:same:

I think my favorite part of the game is the initial moments of dropping in and looting poo poo all paranoid-like. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off just playing DayZ, but it doesn't seen nearly well received as this.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
DayZ is wonky af IMO

hooligan
Jun 15, 2001

Arrogant Dutch Fuckwit.
DayZ was good a long time ago, but it has been a complete pile of poo poo lately.

I had 3 chicken dinners within 2 days, I am getting better but it is probably because I'm getting to know the map and I know some good vantage points depending on the circle.
My main "tactic" is to just hide in a shed and kill people that pass by or wait until the rest of the people kill each other. Still ending up with an average of 5 - 6 kills per match.

Biggest wtf moment was killing someone from 300m away with a Kar98 and a red dot sight. Could see him running away from the school building and killed him with a single shot... loved it!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

gotcha. I think the discrete rounds and clear objective of PUBG probably add to the sense of urgency that makes the beginning more fun, not sure if that feeling would exactly translate to DayZ even if it wasn't in early access hell.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

There's still huge portions of the map I have never been to, but I just have so much luck with my squad landing in Pochinki. So exciting dropping in and seeing a grip of other people dropping with us on the other side of town and we just clear building to building and meet in the motel in the middle of town.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I love how every gun is​ viable. Like was mentioned earlier, shotgun with choke is a drat rail gun and very rewarding. Submachine guns are so fun to use, and I love the corny running animation.

The assault rifles feel very diverse to me even in the same caliber (I cannot control the scar for the life of me).

I'll stop with the platitudes sometime in the next week I promise.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
This game is only the good parts of dayz. If you are one of the people who thought "I like dayz but..." this game probably fixes whatever your gripe is with it. It's by no means perfect but the shorter sessions really drill down to what I loved about the original mod with out all the exhausting bullshit that went along with it.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Gay Horney posted:

This game is only the good parts of dayz. If you are one of the people who thought "I like dayz but..." this game probably fixes whatever your gripe is with it. It's by no means perfect but the shorter sessions really drill down to what I loved about the original mod with out all the exhausting bullshit that went along with it.

Pretty much this. If you liked DayZ for intense and high-stakes shootouts, then this is for you.

Depending on the modding options, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to recreate a DayZ-esque mode.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Pretty much this. If you liked DayZ for intense and high-stakes shootouts, then this is for you.

Depending on the modding options, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to recreate a DayZ-esque mode.

I thought GoonZ only enjoyed looting Stary Sobor for hours on end, then getting wiped because they never looked around.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

i want this game to have a survival mode :/

that's right i wanna look for tuna cans and bottles of water without an anxiety inducing blue ring suffocating me

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I thought GoonZ only enjoyed looting Stary Sobor for hours on end, then getting wiped because they never looked around.

Well, you can do that too, so I guess everybody wins.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

i want this game to have a survival mode :/

that's right i wanna look for tuna cans and bottles of water without an anxiety inducing blue ring suffocating me

I mean there's always H1z1 survival or whatever. This seems like it's just a battle royale game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If there is ever going to be a survival mode, it would be 100% a mod. PU wants to make a finished product and that's easier to do with a smaller scope. Either way, I'm not sure what PUBG would have that's better than what Rust already has.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

PU wants to make a finished product and that's easier to do with a smaller scope.

This is a big deal IMO. There's no evidence of over-promising and the core is reasonably stable. Assuming nothing catastrophic happens, this should be a strong example of a well-executed early access program.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, the only other Early Access game I've ever seen this solidly handled was Kerbal Space Program.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's really loving me up with how I usually treat early access titles.

me posted:

The game is laggy and bullets are too loud in the lobby, what are you even doing!!

PlayerUnknown posted:

Yep understandable, we are aware of it and should have a patch out by tomorrow

me posted:

I...well...good job!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Met some dudes randomly in Squad and we had a good run. Highlight of the night was pinning down a squad in some houses from a ridgeline and getting tunnel vision so bad that we got wiped by a team that crested the hill behind us.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

always be closing posted:

I love how every gun is​ viable. Like was mentioned earlier, shotgun with choke is a drat rail gun and very rewarding. Submachine guns are so fun to use, and I love the corny running animation.

The assault rifles feel very diverse to me even in the same caliber (I cannot control the scar for the life of me).

I'll stop with the platitudes sometime in the next week I promise.

Except the crossbow. It's balls.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

the firefights in this game are fun. already way better than my dayz standalone experience. all the fun of shooting mans without the dumb "survival" (eating, drinking, farming, temperature management game) aspect. :thumbsup:

edit: it will be interesting when they actually add bullet drop and if any of the scopes will use an accurate mildot system but that might be asking for too much

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rite Of Massage posted:

the firefights in this game are fun. already way better than my dayz standalone experience. all the fun of shooting mans without the dumb "survival" (eating, drinking, farming, temperature management game) aspect. :thumbsup:

edit: it will be interesting when they actually add bullet drop and if any of the scopes will use an accurate mildot system but that might be asking for too much

I feel like ttk is so quick that you don't even get a chance usually to find where you're being shot from before you die

• Locked thread