Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Sorry, I don't worry about arty since it is to random to worry about.

Which map would dramatically change in gameplay depending on arty?
Prok? Still going to have the TDs in the corners. Maybe be less of a whack-a-mole, but it is not a map decided by arty.

Saying that the whole map will be available if arty was not present is not true.
Open spaces are dead-zones regardless of arty.

Give me some examples on maps that would change in gameplay depending on arty.

Yeah you are wrong, thanks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Common Test is live, and it's largely about as fun as pulling your loving toenails out with your teeth (as usual). The changes to Artillery are nice though, far more consistent (and dare I say rewarding) to play.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZombieLenin posted:

What happened to "we will never sell the pre-order, alpha, or beta tanks?"

I'm actually kind of pissed that my exclusive I paid to much when this game launched tank won't be exclusive anymore.

lol rekt bitch

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

Is this good or bad? And to what degree?

Also, @Hellsaw Type 5 Heavy Slot Machine

I guess it depends on what people were hoping would happen with SPGs and damage.

The splash radius change alone is pretty huge though, missing doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as it used to, since at least you'll get some damage, along with the stun.

GiantHurtBall
Dec 9, 2013

The Iron Hands weren't loyalists. The Ultramarines, noted for their tricks and deceptions, planted an agent within their ranks claiming to be their long lost Primarch, Ferrus Manus. Thus, the Iron Hands readily turned to Chaos and joined Horus' ranks, all to cover for the Ultramarines' own heresies.

Creamed Cormp posted:

lol rekt bitch

^ this ...trusting WG. Also facing the fact you're buying a bunch of gold and get the dumb tank for stupid idiots for "free" ...They kept word and never sold it.

Also lol if you still care about WoT in 2017.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

What happened to "we will never sell the pre-order, alpha, or beta tanks?"

I'm actually kind of pissed that my exclusive I paid to much when this game launched tank won't be exclusive anymore.

They said they are giving all the current owners a gift of some kind but also haven't said what that gift is.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Atomizer posted:

Nah, I never changed anything. Had a few players whine about their fear of ~change~ so I pushed back the proposed alterations.

Speaking of which, can we get the logo changed back to the original pink iron cross?

Prince is great and all that... I mean I guess he's great... I, like 97% of white people and 85% of black people, never actually listen to Prince. Let's face it, he's more famous for being the subject of a Dave Chapelle sketch than his actual music. Name three Prince songs that came out after the Purple Rain soundtrack in the mid-80s. You can't do it. Nobody can. Supposedly he's got an incredibly extensive library of music nobody ever listens to.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Prok, Karelia, Sand River, El Haluf, Steppes, Siegfried to name a few. I've actually been in them without arty, people stretched their legs and went all over rather than hugging walls all around

Prok without arty just means that heavies can play by the railroad without larger repercussions. The rest of the map is still governed by vision and getting hit by a TD or arty matters less here.
Karelia is pretty pointless for arty, the southern pass is full of hard cover that will be occupied regardless whether arty is there or not.
Sand River without arty is the same, you go to the same areas regardless of arty.
El Halluf, everything is decided north anyway and that is in an area with lots of arty safe areas.
Steppes, south west corner where heavies go is arty safe. There are no new areas opening up without arty, since they are covered by TDs in that case.
Siegfried, LOL, sorry but arty is pretty useless here since everything is decided by the city.

So of the maps you mention, 3 are the most arty friendly in the game and none of those will open up new areas if arty is missing.
Please tell me which areas you would go on these maps if arty wasn't present?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

Speaking of which, can we get the logo changed back to the original pink iron cross?

Prince is great and all that... I mean I guess he's great... I, like 97% of white people and 85% of black people, never actually listen to Prince. Let's face it, he's more famous for being the subject of a Dave Chapelle sketch than his actual music. Name three Prince songs that came out after the Purple Rain soundtrack in the mid-80s. You can't do it. Nobody can. Supposedly he's got an incredibly extensive library of music nobody ever listens to.

I mostly know him from the music to batman. Partyman (museum) and I don't remember the name of the song for the parade at the end.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

This loving MM rework can't go live soon enough. Tiger (P) as the sole VII in a IX battle, yeah I had a loving great time!

NotWearingPants posted:

Name three Prince songs that came out after the Purple Rain soundtrack in the mid-80s. You can't do it. Nobody can.
Scandalous, Partyman, Bat Dance.

Here's a fourth; Trust.

What do I win?

JuffoWup posted:

I mostly know him from the music to batman.
Same here. I don't know anything else of his, only all that Batman stuff.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Prince is bad, arty is bad. hth.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Easy Challenge: 7, Cream, The Most Beautiful Girl in the World. A lot of his music people is what I would call somewhat experimental and wasn't played over the radio.

But I'm cool with changing the symbol.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cardiac posted:

Prok without arty just means that heavies can play by the railroad without larger repercussions. The rest of the map is still governed by vision and getting hit by a TD or arty matters less here.
Karelia is pretty pointless for arty, the southern pass is full of hard cover that will be occupied regardless whether arty is there or not.
Sand River without arty is the same, you go to the same areas regardless of arty.
El Halluf, everything is decided north anyway and that is in an area with lots of arty safe areas.
Steppes, south west corner where heavies go is arty safe. There are no new areas opening up without arty, since they are covered by TDs in that case.
Siegfried, LOL, sorry but arty is pretty useless here since everything is decided by the city.

So of the maps you mention, 3 are the most arty friendly in the game and none of those will open up new areas if arty is missing.
Please tell me which areas you would go on these maps if arty wasn't present?

You must really suck at this game if this is what you really think

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

You must really suck at this game if this is what you really think

he's right. hth.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

like, take Siegfried Line

the reason you don't go field is that you get shot to poo poo by like five different tanks from seven different angles the moment you get spotted. at best you can hide behind a bunker, but once you're stuck there, you're stuck there. arty doesn't change anything about this - it takes longer for an SPG to turn on target, never mind aim in, than it does for you to get completely hosed up after getting spotted.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Prav posted:

he's right. hth.

Heavies can do stuff in the east too on Steppes. Of course they can do that now unless you are driving the Super Heavies. The map I end up seeing the most change in with no arty is probably Fisherman's Bay. People might not just stick to town and 1 line for the most part.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

HFX posted:

Heavies can do stuff in the east too on Steppes. Of course they can do that now unless you are driving the Super Heavies. The map I end up seeing the most change in with no arty is probably Fisherman's Bay. People might not just stick to town and 1 line for the most part.

1 line fisherman's bay is not safe unless something changed in the last year. That is one map I look forward to in my arty because I always get side shots on all the camping in 1 line.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

fisherman's bay is curious because the players that are the most concerned about arty often go to the spots where they're the easiest to hit

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Prav posted:

fisherman's bay is curious because the players that are the most concerned about arty often go to the spots where they're the easiest to hit

Because most arty go to the east side of the map for the elevated position. More intelligent arty (there isn't as many nowadays) go to the west behind the town. You get some amazingly great angles into all the cover on the east side when doing that. But I'm a rare bird that does thing like that. Or on lakeville, I'll hang out in the middle near the lake. That way I can support the middle road and town fairly well from there. However, I also prefer faster arty moving arty, so I can relocat back to a more standard position for better angles around the church if needed.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
This may be a controversial opinion, but when I get one-shotted by arty I say, "welp", and then I start a new game and completely forget about it by the time the next game starts.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

This may be a controversial opinion, but when I get one-shotted by arty I say, "welp", and then I start a new game and completely forget about it by the time the next game starts.

If it happens immediately I just accept it as RNG and get on with my life. If I'm off to a good start or have a (seemingly) dominant position then it kinda irks me.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
When I get one shotted by arty I experience a sharp rise in blood pressure and then I have a stroke

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The only acceptable arty is the Type 4 and Type 5.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I'm only annoyed when I get one shotted after my first (arty) shot by the enemy arty counter-battering. Shoot the tanks not me. M40/M43 is going great... and I finally got a bombardier in the M12 last week (the whole reason I finally went past the M44.) Splash damage is great, it seems to do almost as much as a direct hit with HE sometimes and you can hit multiple tanks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I recently breached 1800 WN8, and I'm getting the impression that's a new color on whatever popular XVM scale I'm not using, because I'm now actually noticing getting focused on by arty in matches where I'm somehow the least-lovely player.

poo poo's weird.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I recently breached 1800 WN8, and I'm getting the impression that's a new color on whatever popular XVM scale I'm not using, because I'm now actually noticing getting focused on by arty in matches where I'm somehow the least-lovely player.

poo poo's weird.

Welcome to my life.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

poo poo's weird.

When I play arty I don't target good players, in fact it's the opposite.

My targeting process is:
1) heavies because of HP to get stupid mission done. Also generally slow.
2) tomatoes that are likely to sit still and not hug walls/cover

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I just want to see the Personal missions being reworked. Hopefully I won't have to spot/damage 3 loving arties in my LTs if 3 is the absolute maximum possible...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also reduce the requirements for HT-12.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

Also reduce the requirements for HT-12.

Add taunt to HTs. If a HT taunts you, you do 50% less damage to other enemy tanks until you score a penetrating hit against the HT that taunted you or 45 seconds has passed, whichever occurs first. Taunt has a 1 minute cool-down. Biggest problem with HT 12 was getting enemies to shoot me.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I just want to see the Personal missions being reworked. Hopefully I won't have to spot/damage 3 loving arties in my LTs if 3 is the absolute maximum possible...

i can tell you that SPG missions are completely overhauled in 9.18. most of them look pretty easy.

i didn't look at the LT ones, but i know WG said that they'll be changing at least a little on account of the SPG cap

e: oh hey someone compiled a list https://ritastatusreport.live/2017/03/31/spg-personal-mission-changes/

Prav fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 31, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
sheesh these arty changes are baaaad.

They can damage you without having hit you and they can hit you more often even when you are moving. The damage is also not insignificant.

Then you add into the equation the stun mechanic that effectively forces you to purchase premium consumable to offset the stun to remain competitive. poo poo all the way down.

Faster aim time, faster reload, extremely big splash damage radius, still does significant amount of damage, and stun mechanic. Holy crap this is really not good.

Tier X LT's are pretty cool though I guess. They are basically super fast mediums. Honestly they should just be classified as mediums.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 31, 2017

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BadLlama posted:

The only acceptable arty is the Type 4 and Type 5.

The games I hate the most are ones where your team gets lights and mediums with no arty, and the enemy team gets Mice, E100's, and Type 5s. Nothing says "go gently caress yourself" more. Unfortunately, it looks like they did not fix that aspect of the MM. Instead they evenly balance TDs instead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

i can tell you that SPG missions are completely overhauled in 9.18. most of them look pretty easy.

i didn't look at the LT ones, but i know WG said that they'll be changing at least a little on account of the SPG cap

e: oh hey someone compiled a list https://ritastatusreport.live/2017/03/31/spg-personal-mission-changes/

The SPG missions are the easiest line by far with an M53, outside of the counterbattery and bombardier missions which require cheating and multiple uncontrollable elements respectively. However, this:

quote:

SPG-15-4
Primary: Finish the battle as top player on both teams by experience earned. Enable your allies to cause at least 3,500 damage to enemy vehicles by stunning or immobilizing them.
Secondary: Survive the battle.

is total horseshit and will almost certainly be impossible unless you stunning an enemy removes all spotting damage your allies would receive from that enemy until your stun wears off.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, unicums get targeted for sure. I remember being bottom tier and still having an SPG on my rear end the whole match, even while big heavies were out in the open. Fine with me, we won the battle handily since he only did minor splash damage.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The SPG missions are the easiest line by far with an M53, outside of the counterbattery and bombardier missions which require cheating and multiple uncontrollable elements respectively. However, this:

is total horseshit and will almost certainly be impossible unless you stunning an enemy removes all spotting damage your allies would receive from that enemy until your stun wears off.

those conditions one by one aren't too bad

both at once might be a real problem though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

those conditions one by one aren't too bad

both at once might be a real problem though

I wasn't kidding, it might actually be impossible without multiple unspotted killshots, which will be substantially more difficult now. You'd need to get a massive amount of damage and assist damage, but dealing a truly massive amount of damage is going to be much more difficult (probably going to be hard to get a 7k+ damage game without oneshot kills), getting a bunch of killshots will be difficult with the lower damage, and any assist damage you deal will by default be shared with the players spotting/tracking the enemy you stun. But maybe the assist damage won't be shared, maybe it's easier to rack up assist damage than I think it will, maybe you can just get 10 or 15 thousand assist damage by spewing rounds into large groups on something like Mines and every shot your teammates hit will give you full assist damage. I'm not optimistic, but maybe Wargaming won't screw this up.

No more Bombardier mission though, so good work Wargaming. I hope I get to redo the entire SPG mission tree again for more credits and lady crews.

HFX posted:

The games I hate the most are ones where your team gets lights and mediums with no arty, and the enemy team gets Mice, E100's, and Type 5s. Nothing says "go gently caress yourself" more. Unfortunately, it looks like they did not fix that aspect of the MM. Instead they evenly balance TDs instead.

Competent heavies against competent mediums are a coinflip, depending on the map. A pack of mediums on Fjords will utterly route a team of heavies, even if both teams are competent. A bunch of heavies on Sacred Valley, assuming they're smart enough to go north, will crush the enemies in the north and then it's just a matter of which team can play camper better. A bunch of heavies on Stalingrad or Pilsen just get a massive HP advantage to crush the west, and I've complained enough about how truly useless the east is on Pilsen but god drat people keep going there don't go east on Pilsen no matter what tank you're in I don't care if you're in an ELC in a tier 8 game do not go East on Pilsen.

The actual problem is that TD players are human garbage and refuse to play assault gun when they absolutely need to, which leads to the enemy just surrounding and picking them off one at a time. A team with 7 TDs against a team with 1 is massively disadvantaged on average on something like Stalingrad if the TDs just try to camp and wait, but crushingly advantaged if they just push the west hard because they get to out-alpha the enemies in front and if those enemies are dead, they're safe to reload. Trying to convince the pubbies to do that is really difficult, but when it works you can completely smoke the enemies who somehow think going to that open east area on Stalingrad gives you an advantage, or that holding back and hiding behind the corners will prevent the enemies from swarming you and killing you after only getting one shot off.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

ROFLburger posted:

Prince is bad

:pwn:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

First battle of the day went well.

Put the team on my back. Can't remember the last time I had 1300+ base XP from a top tier game. I've been playing the IS a lot lately, after coming late to the party. The KV-3 was my first tier VII, iirc, and I just figured I didn't need both - hoo, I was wrong. Took a while to get it to work for me, though. Getting the top turret so I could get the top gun (which I had from the KV-3, obviously) was a hassle and using the top gun without a fully trained crew was painful. 50/50 chance of hitting even fully aimed shots. Reminded me of those bad times when I had to do the full KV-3 grind. Still have a 50% WR which is pathetic for my tier VIIs - but I did get my second gun mark recently, so things are looking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

First battle of the day went well.

Put the team on my back. Can't remember the last time I had 1300+ base XP from a top tier game. I've been playing the IS a lot lately, after coming late to the party. The KV-3 was my first tier VII, iirc, and I just figured I didn't need both - hoo, I was wrong. Took a while to get it to work for me, though. Getting the top turret so I could get the top gun (which I had from the KV-3, obviously) was a hassle and using the top gun without a fully trained crew was painful. 50/50 chance of hitting even fully aimed shots. Reminded me of those bad times when I had to do the full KV-3 grind. Still have a 50% WR which is pathetic for my tier VIIs - but I did get my second gun mark recently, so things are looking up.

I'm sorry, how the gently caress did you bounce 2500 damage in an IS? Are you a wizard?

It was convenient that the enemy did not damage you and your teammates were polite enough to not take any damage away from you.