Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Space Invaders totally fails to address the class crisis of late capitalism. 0/10

After years of consuming Western media that in no way make any sort of effort at representing or acknowledging me or anybody outside the Anglo-Saxon cultural block thanks to the magic of cultural imperialism, and observing the steady erosion of local culture as a direct consequence, I finally get a successful pop culture product that originates from the same cultural background as me, and reflects my experiences.

And of course immediately Americans come flooding in complaining "why isn't this thing exactly like the stuff we make in America, that is a massive flaw and probably a sign of bigotry"

gently caress you.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No. LGBT stuff does not need to be everywhere, most certainly not in a medieval low fantasy genre. It's forced nowadays and feels like pandering for market shares. It hardly matters in homophobic mass effect that can not stand to show two naked men at all, but lesbians are shown doing it super hard.

Eh, I don't want to derail into an argument over this but I mostly agree with you. Video games don't need to pander, but at least having incidental references to minorities is great. W3 is okay at that, it's not actively homophobic (though there is racism!) and has a few references but I'm suggesting CDPR could add more LGBT and minority characters even if they're background. It acknowledges they exist and are important without clumsily trying to check them off a list.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There are many minority characters. Minority in an Eastern European context means a different thing than in English / US context.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As long as we're not going into the "gays and blacks don't exist in Poland" territory, I think it's fine to note that the game isn't meant to specifically represent the demographics of the US and that what at first might seem to be insensitive racial metaphors ("all the minorities are white but with funny ears!") actually makes sense in context.

Witcher fans haven't done a great job defending the game from what were ultimately very bland critiques of the game's demographics and its representation issues though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pellisworth posted:

unrelated, I was chatting with a couple friends about W3 and Mass Effect: Andromeda and how they handle LGBT people

W3 really doesn't address LGBT issues at all, which I think is mostly fine though they should improve on diversity in their future games

there are three times I can think of that LGBT stuff comes up, anyone think of others?

There's a letter to Phillipa Eilheart(I think it's in her hideout) from her lover, where she's surprised how Philippa ended up sleeping with Djikstra and offers to get back together. Although that continues from the books, in W2 you even walk in on Philippa in the act.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pellisworth posted:

sounds like you figured it out, then, I'm gonna wildly guess half the posters in this thread concluded it was the priest rather than the vampire coroner. a really large portion of players gently caress it up so don't be too hard on yourself!

you just wrapped up Novigrad, then? I don't wanna spoil anything but fairly soon you'll probably do some serious drinking with old friends. party HARD. all the way :v:

e: said drinking is one of the absolute best scenes in the game

It really want hard to figure out that the red herring was just that in that quest... They make it really obvious.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont like that the sick gently caress torturing and mutilating nettie gets by scot free if you find the real murderer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

No Wave posted:

I dont like that the sick gently caress torturing and mutilating nettie gets by scot free if you find the real murderer.

You can get the information, then kill him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Killijg NPCs in the game doesnt really feel real unless there's a dialogue option for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I dunno if his actions necessarily make him deserving of death. As I recall he was an rear end in a top hat with a messed up fetish, but his "victims" knew what they were getting into.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No. LGBT stuff does not need to be everywhere, most certainly not in a medieval low fantasy genre. It's forced nowadays and feels like pandering for market shares.

Didn't someone make a gif one time if a really large :rolleyes: that opened its mouth and vomited out a bunch of tiny :rolleyes: because if so pretend I posted it in response to this post

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"It's Conjunction of Spheres not Conjunction of Queers!"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nettie's sure not acting that way, but it's the sort of thing where I'd rather find some better justice than just pressing the attack button next to the guy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 31, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ugh why did Braveheart have all that gay stuff, sheesh!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fuzz posted:

I dunno if his actions necessarily make him deserving of death. As I recall he was an rear end in a top hat with a messed up fetish, but his "victims" knew what they were getting into.

Nettie makes it rather clear after how she felt about the situation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

As long as we're not going into the "gays and blacks don't exist in Poland" territory, I think it's fine to note that the game isn't meant to specifically represent the demographics of the US and that what at first might seem to be insensitive racial metaphors ("all the minorities are white but with funny ears!") actually makes sense in context.

Witcher fans haven't done a great job defending the game from what were ultimately very bland critiques of the game's demographics and its representation issues though.

It's hosed up that instead of appreciating a representation of a different culture that is entirely absent from all of pop media, the natural reaction of a critic is "why isn't this diverse in a way I'm used to?" Like for the first time ever I feel like I'm on an equal footing with Westerners in terms of pop culture discourse, and instead the response is "Hm, problematic. Have you tried copying Bioware's shtick instead?"

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 31, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nettie makes it rather clear after how she felt about the situation.

She does, but I still wouldn't say the guy deserves Tycho die for it, but that could be my crazy modern views impinging on Geralt's normally close minded and medieval thinking... right?

Then again, he does kill monsters... It's intentionally grey. Wish there had been an option for Geralt to at least beat his rear end our cause him some more serious discomfort so he could see what it's like.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

"It's Conjunction of Spheres not Conjunction of Queers!"

laffin over here

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

She does, but I still wouldn't say the guy deserves Tycho die for it, but that could be my crazy modern views impinging on Geralt's normally close minded and medieval thinking... right?

Then again, he does kill monsters... It's intentionally grey. Wish there had been an option for Geralt to at least beat his rear end our cause him some more serious discomfort so he could see what it's like.

We're talking about a guy who regularly runs into Bandit Camps and murders everyone it it for a little bit of loot

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And then lets them respawn so he can do it again.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
There are LGBT people in Poland too, I know because a lot of them worked on the game.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Like for the first time ever I feel like I'm on an equal footing with Westerners in terms of pop culture discourse, and instead the response is "Hm, problematic. Have you tried copying Bioware's shtick instead?"

When you use this word, do you actually mean Anglo-Americans? Or if not, what exactly makes you consider yourself a non-westerner? AFAIK, Czechs are nominally mostly Christian (if irreligious in practice), use the Latin alphabet and have historically been strongly influenced by German-speaking cultures.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

We're talking about a guy who regularly runs into Bandit Camps and murders everyone it it for a little bit of loot

Self defense! :iamafag:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Self defense! :iamafag:

Well now I'm picturing Geralt and Ciri as Jimbo and Ned from South Park.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

To address concerns about LGBT, in the next patch certain NPCs will now have "(gay)" appended to their names.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I actually watched a snippet of a review by a fat Russian guy before buying the game (absolutely no idea how or why that happened) and he favorably compared the game to Dragonborn: Inquisition. One of his criteria referred to D:I being homo/transsexual propaganda, while TW3 had an appropriately negative portrayal of homosexuality.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

After I read the Butcher of Blaviken story it caused slight ~ludonarrative dissonance~ since Geralt is infamous for killing only 7 dudes iirc in a short time span while game Geralt takes on Hanses of 40 dudes in a few minutes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey now, that's not fair. I am totally willing to steal everything they own without killing them. But they always attack me so they gots to die.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Xander77 posted:

I actually watched a snippet of a review by a fat Russian guy before buying the game (absolutely no idea how or why that happened) and he favorably compared the game to Dragonborn: Inquisition. One of his criteria referred to D:I being homo/transsexual propaganda, while TW3 had an appropriately negative portrayal of homosexuality.

as the rain is clearing up a rainbow comes out and Geralt mutters "mhm, homos again"

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

2house2fly posted:

as the rain is clearing up a rainbow comes out and Geralt mutters "mhm, homos again"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

winds flaming

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

"Hm, problematic. Have you tried copying Bioware's shtick instead?"

But... did anyone actually say that? Because I get the impression that you're projecting and reducing their argument to the point of absurdity. We're talking about a rather small array of people that offered a variety of arguments that can be mostly summed up as "this game's cast is made *entirely* of white people and that seems a bit strange."

I will admit I don't remember (though it doesn't mean they don't exist) any criticism for lack of LGBT characters. I'd need to see how those critiques were articulated before commenting.

Criticism of the game for some dumb character designs in the female department was IMO absolutely warranted and you'd be hard-pressed to defend it based on Polish traditions. It was also, again, very minor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lobok posted:

Hey now, that's not fair. I am totally willing to steal everything they own without killing them. But they always attack me so they gots to die.

Besides, they were thieves

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Unlike in this game, I am sure there were a lot of black and Asian peeps in medieval Europe... said nobody who lives in a country that actually had a medieval period ever.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Based on Equine Phantoms we know Roach is trans

I wasn't saying anything about race in the game, the thread's done that a few times already. I think W3 is fine with regard to LGBT stuff, it mostly doesn't come up but the few small bits are well-done. My point was that even if CDPR doesn't have major LGBT characters (which is fine) it's always good to include more diverse background and incidental characters. I don't need an option for Geralt to be gay or whatever, but more characters that happen to be gay is good because it's important to acknowledge they exist. More Elihals and White Orchard hunters.

Basically,

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There are LGBT people in Poland too, I know because a lot of them worked on the game.

edit: also I acknowledge where you're coming from about Westerners talking down to Eastern Europeans or insisting you have to change to be "right" and more like Western culture, steinrokkan.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 31, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, total Witcher noob reporting in after loving around to level 3 and then killing the griffin:

1) Overall this game owns, it looks great maxed out and runs smooth as glass at 1080p on my good-but-not-Godlike PC. Witcher 2 was kind of :effort: for me, but I totally buy into 3 for whatever reason.
2) When does crafting items really become worthwhile? I'm not in a rush, just curious when I should start giving a poo poo about it, because at the moment I have like 5 recipes for mediocre looking items, nothing to make them with, and would go broke trying to buy any components for them.
3) Related to that, between the number of plants and the number of raw materials for items, I just don't even know what the gently caress :psyduck:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

sean10mm posted:

OK, total Witcher noob reporting in after loving around to level 3 and then killing the griffin:

1) Overall this game owns, it looks great maxed out and runs smooth as glass at 1080p on my good-but-not-Godlike PC. Witcher 2 was kind of :effort: for me, but I totally buy into 3 for whatever reason.
2) When does crafting items really become worthwhile? I'm not in a rush, just curious when I should start giving a poo poo about it, because at the moment I have like 5 recipes for mediocre looking items, nothing to make them with, and would go broke trying to buy any components for them.
3) Related to that, between the number of plants and the number of raw materials for items, I just don't even know what the gently caress :psyduck:

Don't worry about crafting anything but the witcher gear (green items). Potions are also wonderful and there's a use for almost all of them. Decoctions are very cool but there are really only a few that see regular use. Don't worry so much about raw materials until you get to a point where you actually want to craft something specific. Thankfully they don't take up weight and it'll be quite a few levels until you make your first witcher set (you can find plans in white orchard for a pair of level 7(?) swords which are nice to have by the time you hit that level). As you move on you'll want to pay attention to what breaks down into dimeritium as that's pretty commonly used in witcher gear. Otherwise you're probably going to be swimming in mats.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

The only items worth crafting are the green-shaded Witcher sets, mostly. You can get the Viper sword diagrams in White Orchard though they can be pricey on your early-game budget. You'll be poor for a bit longer but it stops being a big issue after you level up into the teens or so.

The crafting system is imo one of the few weak points of W3, you're right there are a ton of different components and the interface is a bit cludgy, it's way more complex than it needs to be. One important thing to keep in mind is that you don't need to re-craft alchemy items, you craft each thing once and it gives you a container item you can recharge infinitely for one unit of hard alcohol. For what it's worth here's a bunch of spoiler-free newbie advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&pagenumber=1017&perpage=40#post470527222

The next zone will be Velen, it's really big and there's a wide range of monster levels so you're going to stumble into a lot of stuff that is too high level for you. I recommend following the main quest for a bit, the Velen main quest line is one of the absolute best in the game and it will give you a good chunk of XP which helps a lot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

sean10mm posted:

Craft all potions/decoctions/bombs. These become very powerful and useful later on, since bombs and potions can be upgraded. Decoctions can only be made with monster-specific mutagens (with a couple exceptions) - lots of these are situation, but there are a few extremely powerful ones (primarily Ekimmara and Ekhidna, but also Archgriffin depending on your build). Most of those come from sidequests. Always collect plants and upgrade as often as possible. Your potions, bombs, and decoctions all replenish automatically when you meditate, using only a single unit of strong alcohol. You should never run out.

Crafting gear is good as long as you're crafting Witcher gear. There are different sets that are designed around different builds - Cat, Griffin, Bear, and Wolven. A lot of people prefer Cat as it's focused on Dodge and fast attacks, but they are all viable as any build is really viable once you understand combat. It's all a matter of personal taste. Building the base sets for each is pretty easy and cheap, so experiment with all.

Of note: Crafting components don't weigh anything. Even if you don't think or know if you'll need it, grab it. Can always sell it later. Keep EVERYTHING with Dimeterium in the name. You need a ton of the stuff to build late game gear and it gets expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Hopper posted:

Unlike in this game, I am sure there were a lot of black and Asian peeps in medieval Europe... said nobody who lives in a country that actually had a medieval period ever.

You are wrong, of course. The Mongols (asians, by any standard) conquered this land. Do they not count? What about travellers and traders? And of course, The Witcher isn't medieval, it's fantasy, and the games at least are much more heavily inspired by the Renaissance era. Also, it's fictional, so we can do anything we waaaant.