Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In Witcherworld all the humans turned up like a thousand years ago when they fell through an interdimensional portal, so having a totally homogenous population or a wildly diverse one both make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

W3 is okay at that, it's not actively homophobic (though there is racism!)

lmao

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Presumably meaning there is racism in the setting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

In Witcherworld all the humans turned up like a thousand years ago when they fell through an interdimensional portal, so having a totally homogenous population or a wildly diverse one both make sense

Any inconsistencies in the setting can be chalked up to "the conjunction of the spheres did it". Monsters? Advanced forensic science? Equal opportunity education at established institutions? Spheres did it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Witcher doesn't need to be inclusive. The whole point is that it's just as lovely as real life and people are assholes and there are heavy doses of racism and classism running deeply through the entire thing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz posted:

Witcher doesn't need to be inclusive. The whole point is that it's just as lovely as real life and people are assholes and there are heavy doses of racism and classism running deeply through the entire thing.

But real life has tons of people of color and whatnot who face racism and classism from assholes, I'm not seeing how the idea of being inclusive would somehow tarnish that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly up in arms about wanting more representation in the Witcherverse, I'm just not quite understanding your example here.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The Witcher 3 also suggests that the in-universe multiculturalism of shoving normal people/poor people elves, dwarves, and humans into the same city is an idea with little upside that works out pretty poorly

(While at the same time Witchers, Sorceresses, and other outsiders have no problem with the other species and count dwarves/elves among their best friends/most respected - Keira's ability to distinguish between respectable elven mages and "flea-bitten scoiatel" is indicative of her class but isnt done by the normal peasants of Velen)

The really strange part for the fantasy narrative is that nilfgaard is global capitalism (its emperor is deposed by a trade cartel), and it wins a perfect victory in the best ending

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Robin Hood had a black BFF depending on which version you pay attention to.

And a blind one!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Out of curiosity, were the Ofieri characters originally planned for HoS or were they introduced as a response to the criticism of everyone being white? Because if so, that's basically the perfect response.

The Ofieri are great, they really felt like they had a distinct culture from what little we saw of them.

edit

No Wave posted:

Killijg NPCs in the game doesnt really feel real unless there's a dialogue option for it.

There is a dialogue action for it.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Out of curiosity, were the Ofieri characters originally planned for HoS or were they introduced as a response to the criticism of everyone being white? Because if so, that's basically the perfect response.

The Ofieri are great, they really felt like they had a distinct culture from what little we saw of them.

edit

There is a dialogue action for it.

They were always planned.

Crappy Jack posted:

But real life has tons of people of color and whatnot who face racism and classism from assholes, I'm not seeing how the idea of being inclusive would somehow tarnish that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly up in arms about wanting more representation in the Witcherverse, I'm just not quite understanding your example here.

And you meet Ofieri and help one of them setup a small business.

I'm talking about the whole crying about the lack of homosexuality or the fact that one dude is ostracized for being gay. Phillipa is bi leaning heavily toward being a lesbian and you can see men getting dances from male hookers in some brothels, and vice versa with women. It's there, it's just not shoved in your face as a, "AND HERE'S THE PART WHERE WE PANDER TO SOME OF OUR AUDIENCE'S EGO BY SPECIFICALLY COMMENTING ON AND ADDRESSING THIS THING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO THEM IN REAL LIFE BUT HAS NO BEARING ON OUR NARRATIVE. AT ALL." We see things from Geralt's perspective, and unsurprisingly Geralt doesn't really give a poo poo about any of that. Geralt also isn't gay, and giving players the choice to make him so literally flies in the face of one of the core narratives of the game, so...

The game is fine and presents a believable world with a good cross section of people for what it's trying to show. A few random travelers stand out and sore us there's a larger world out there. The region we're dealing in is meant to be 1200s northern Europe. By those metrics, it works.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 1, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"Of drat there are a ton of new posts in the Witcher thread, let me see..." :eyepoop:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Trying to be spoiler-free here.

I know the thread said Don't push Djikstra. But I'm just saying, I played Witcher 2, I place Roche above most people.

He believed my story, and my story was true, so I could clear my name. I don't forget poo poo like that. In my view i still owed him even if he did help me at Kaer.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

In my NG+ i just fought a Fire Elemental. I just noticed that my sword glows red hot every time it comes in contact with the monster. There is fire everywhere. :tif:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fuzz posted:

The region we're dealing in is meant to be 1200s northern Europe. By those metrics, it works.

C'mon this is a terrible cop out and you know it.

I think people are just sick of the amount of stuff which gets overlooked because the witcher is a goon darling. No other game has been given such a widespread pass on this sort of laziness and it's getting tiring, tbh, especially with the need to run into other game's threads and wax on about its virtues.

e; kinda the same with Nier Automata really. The same folk who'd castrate other developers for cleavage are suddenly really defensive about lesbian BDSM robots, because it suits the plot. :v:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 1, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

No Wave posted:

The Witcher 3 also suggests that the in-universe multiculturalism of shoving normal people/poor people elves, dwarves, and humans into the same city is an idea with little upside that works out pretty poorly

(While at the same time Witchers, Sorceresses, and other outsiders have no problem with the other species and count dwarves/elves among their best friends/most respected - Keira's ability to distinguish between respectable elven mages and "flea-bitten scoiatel" is indicative of her class but isnt done by the normal peasants of Velen)

The really strange part for the fantasy narrative is that nilfgaard is global capitalism (its emperor is deposed by a trade cartel), and it wins a perfect victory in the best ending

Actually I'd say siding with Dijkstra is a better ending, it just requires being a completely heartless bastard to accomplish it

I wonder what % of people went for that ending. Probably a tiny minority

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

Trying to be spoiler-free here.

I know the thread said Don't push Djikstra. But I'm just saying, I played Witcher 2, I place Roche above most people.

He believed my story, and my story was true, so I could clear my name. I don't forget poo poo like that. In my view i still owed him even if he did help me at Kaer.

Two separate decisions. You don't get to make the one you're talking about at all if you shove Dijkstra earlier.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Presumably meaning there is racism in the setting.

I thought that user was making fun of the "EVEN RACISM" dev diary, to be honest.

Also, I personally thought that all the "but historical accuracy!" justifications were dumb for a variety of reasons, however I always largely attributed the lack of PoC (that blanket term always sounded weird to me, but it's the mainstream definition so I'm going to go with it) to the fact that modern Poland is white as gently caress and most of the creative visionholders at CDPR are Polish.

It's good that they still tried to amend that in Hearts of Stone, though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I think there's some interesting stuff you could explore if you introduced more people of colour into the setting. Because you have a society with a bunch of backwards feudal peasants, nascent nationalism on the rise, a scientific community with an understanding of genetics and distinct species of non-humans who are subject to racism. Under those conditions I doubt you'd see many people taking any interest in skin colour until Nilfgaard colonises Zerrikania or Ofir.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness though, are there literally people who play this wonderfully designed and coherent game and then suddenly go "I wonder why there are no black guys" while walking through a sunny field in Toussaint...

I mean I have literally not given any thought to that at all since in this is fantasy world setting. I wouldn't ask myself why there are no white dudes in a samurai game either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think there is a group globally more ostracized, maligned and subjected to more unceasing violence than Arabs. I don't see people asking Bioware why they don't do something to be more inclusive of Arab culture and and history in their games. Again, it's because it doesn't affect average American's day to day existence. Witcher wouldn't be compromised by dealing with race etc. in the individualist manner that is typical of other games, but it already leans heavily on the topic of ethnic violence, nationalism, self-determination of peoples, and political divide and conquer strategies plucked from Eastern European history, where Nilfgaards attitudes to minorities and minor nations mirror both the experience with Ottoman Empire and Russia, their apparent concern for their rights which only leads to them being used as cannon fodder or given token autonomy under an oppressive regime, but also the French hard secular nationalism which gave birth to European statehood by making the suppression of variance within Empire the base for governance. which are all topics with great relevance for current European politics.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 1, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah my feeling was they replaced human races with the struggle of the elves and dwarfs vs humans to depict a problem in society in wma way that befits the fantasy setting, but I guess you can always find a reason to cry foul if you need internet cred among the sjw and similar idiots.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Not the Sjews! :reddit:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Gameplay related question:

I have started BaW and I have two or three times now reloaded because I slew bandits or found dead people and suddenly got updates for quests I did not even have.
What's the deal here? (One of them was called "pack fo five" or soemthing the other is me coming up on a bunch fo dead peeps and Gerlat starting to talk about a monster "Hmm foul odor spreads the griffin must be flyign high" I knew nothing about.
Shoudl I just stick to the main quest first or hwo does this work....it seems this is not as explorer friendly as the main game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

https://twitter.com/cdprojektred/status/848082511846625280

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those jokes are only half as funny if it's things you could actually sell.

I'd buy one :ohdear:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hopper posted:

Yeah my feeling was they replaced human races with the struggle of the elves and dwarfs vs humans to depict a problem in society in wma way that befits the fantasy setting, but I guess you can always find a reason to cry foul if you need internet cred among the sjw and similar idiots.

This exactly. Elves are black people in the same way mutants in Marvel were black people in the 60s.

It's an allegory, and not a subtle one, but let's be real, gamers are some of the dumbest and thick headed people on the planet, so...

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hopper posted:

In all seriousness though, are there literally people who play this wonderfully designed and coherent game and then suddenly go "I wonder why there are no black guys" while walking through a sunny field in Toussaint...

I mean I have literally not given any thought to that at all since in this is fantasy world setting. I wouldn't ask myself why there are no white dudes in a samurai game either.

I'm still patiently waiting for a historical fiction game about Yasuke, the 6 foot African samurai who was Oda Nobunaga's trusted advisor.

edit: apparently he has a cameo in Nioh but he deserves his own game

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
also fwiw, i think it's the dumbest and most thickheaded and yes, even racist, thing possible to look at the witcher 3, a game with major, present themes at the forefront of the storytelling about colonialism, racism, prejudice, institutionalized power, and think "Uhhh i need to see more black skin being beaten with whips before it's good in my eyes"

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Under the vegetable posted:

also fwiw, i think it's the dumbest and most thickheaded and yes, even racist, thing possible to look at the witcher 3, a game with major, present themes at the forefront of the storytelling about colonialism, racism, prejudice, institutionalized power, and think "Uhhh i need to see more black skin being beaten with whips before it's good in my eyes"

I mean, I don't know for sure who's complaining about it or their specific reasons, but a lot of the legitimate gripes about representation are from the perspective that, if I'm playing a game for hundreds of ours, its really loving weird to not see ANYONE who looks like me.

It's not something white people can really understand since we're everywhere all the time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

where Nilfgaards attitudes to minorities and minor nations mirror both the experience with Ottoman Empire and Russia

Niilfgaard seems more based on the Holy Roman Empire than anything else

I mean I know its all fantasy but still, the world portrayed in the games is very obviously drawn mostly from Gdansk/Danzig and environs and the main nations portrayed and their relationship to each other seems very directly based on the relationships between Poland, Bohemia, and the HRE

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

It is possible to have a more diverse cast without including real world racism, especially if the excuse behind exclusion is "it's is a fantasy world". Hope this helps.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Witcher world map (or rather, that section of it that's relevant to the narrative) is basically a copy paste of Poland-HRE carefully cut up to hide all signs that Asia or the Ottoman empire ever existed and ever affected European events. (Quoting a blog post from memory here, but it sounds convincing enough)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

poptart_fairy posted:

It is possible to have a more diverse cast without including real world racism, especially if the excuse behind exclusion is "it's is a fantasy world". Hope this helps.

exactly, the cast is pretty diverse. there are several ethnic subgroups among the humans and there are also elves and dwarves and other intelligent races that are ostacized and segregated because they look different. saying you need a specific kind of token representation or the game is bad is rooted in some kind of racial suprematism i think

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
uhhhh i'd like more black people in this game

OH YOU WANT TO SEE THEM WHIPPED AND CHAINED IS THAT IT

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
to be honest it's pretty racist and buying into the myth of the white race and white solidarity to look at this game and all the different human cultures in it and go "ITS JUST WHITE PEOPLE THEYRE ALL THE SAME"

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

poptart_fairy posted:

uhhhh i'd like more black people in this game

OH YOU WANT TO SEE THEM WHIPPED AND CHAINED IS THAT IT

you do. all the complaints about wanting to see more black and arab people in this game is from people fantasizing about watching them be victimized.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nobody in the thread asking for more diversity has said that. You, however, directly equated their posts to asking for whipped and chained black people.

I don't think accusing someone of projection is really in your favour here, buddy.

you do. all the complaints about wanting to see more black and arab people in this game is from people fantasizing about watching them be victimized.

lmao, the gently caress is this

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
especially considering there are arabic-coded people in the game and they're mostly fine

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

poptart_fairy posted:

Nobody in the thread asking for more diversity has said that. You, however, directly equated their posts to asking for whipped and chained black people.

I don't think accusing someone of projection is really in your favour here, buddy.

lmao, the gently caress is this

don't be so dishonest. when someone comes in and ignores the setting, ignores all the messages the game has about racism, and prejudice, and power, and says they just dont understand it, why can't black people be in fantasy poland, they are just fantasizing about black people being used, being represented just to be victims, so they can learn a lesson a little bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

don't be so dishonest. when someone comes in and ignores the setting, ignores all the messages the game has about racism, and prejudice, and power, and says they just dont understand it, why can't black people be in fantasy poland, they are just fantasizing about black people being used, being represented just to be victims, so they can learn a lesson a little bit easier.

They're actually asking for more diversity in ethnicity. You are the only person in this thread with a weird hard-on for violence against minorities. What the christ man, seriously look at what you're posting here.