Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I really don't get why some people seem to find the idea of Superman killing women with his death-sperm really appealing.

Especially when everyone knows it's Spider-Man with the death sperm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Doc Hawkins posted:

I really don't get why some people seem to find the idea of Superman killing women with his death-sperm really appealing.

You haven't been on the internet long, have you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Wait, so what's the story with Beyonders and Nextwave?
Okay, brace yourself for some :goonsay:

It turned out later on that the Nextwave team were the only ones who remembered tearing across the country, leveling small towns and killing hundreds of people. In a Secret Wars tie in they found out the Beyond Corporation was back and actually run by the Beyonders, which was where all this bizarre poo poo they had to deal with came from. They were just messing with Nextwave because it amused them.

Blue Marvel and his mad scientist son re-purpose the bad guys' portal to get help from his other son, stuck in the neutral zone, and he throws them out of reality. Then Doom blows up everything, but at least Spectrum has stopped feeling sorry for herself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Hawkins posted:

Timg'd for :nws:-adjacency:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks Garth Ennis

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

God, Garth Ennis sucks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

wiegieman posted:

It turned out later on that the Nextwave team were the only ones who remembered tearing across the country, leveling small towns and killing hundreds of people.

No: I remember too. :unsmith:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Sometimes I remember that I need to read Mouse Guard already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roth posted:

Thanks Garth Ennis
The Super-sperm thing comes from an article Larry Niven wrote in the 70s which he's thrown in his compilation books to milk out a few more bucks from his back catalog. It's real modern equivalent would be the claspers comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was also strongly implied in Superman 2 that bedroom incompatibility was the reason Superman couldn't be with Lois without turning human. That's almost certainly the reason for the mainstream idea of "man of steel, woman of kleenex".

Android Blues posted:

God, Garth Ennis sucks.

This can never be said enough.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought it was mallrats

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
As one of the three Northern Irishmen on SA I officially apologize for Garth Ennis. He's not going away though. After this RHI business we need all the money we can get.

prefect posted:

Timg'd for :nws:-adjacency:

Is that Amanda Conner on art? Maybe I'm going nuts.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nilbop posted:

As one of the three Northern Irishmen on SA I officially apologize for Garth Ennis. He's not going away though. After this RHI business we need all the money we can get.

Is that Amanda Conner on art? Maybe I'm going nuts.
Yep.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Bah. I think Garth Ennis is a funny guy. You're all a bunch of sourpusses. :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ennis has his ups and downs, it's just his downs are pretty far down in the gutter

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Rhaka posted:

HOLY poo poo. It's like Redwall on steroids.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

site posted:

I thought it was mallrats

Funny anecdote about this, Kevin Smith was approached about writing a script for a Supes movie for exactly this reason, the dialogue about Supes and his super sperm.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Rhaka posted:

Not a panel, but your post reminded me of this and it's awesome:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Android Blues posted:

God, Garth Ennis sucks.

Yeah, pretty much.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I want to like Ennis, I really do. But he just so often ends up feeling like the little kid proud of himself for writing a naughty word on the blackboard, and it just gets tiring.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rhaka posted:

I've been reading Mouse Guard to my toddler. We've finished the Fall and Winter books (that owl fight is in Winter) and are partially through both The Black Axe and Baldwin the Brave. It's a little dark at spots, like that img, but overall it's pretty awesome. A well fleshed out world with great art and distinctive characters. And smart mice fighting predators in epic fashion is pretty drat cool.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Choco1980 posted:

I want to like Ennis, I really do. But he just so often ends up feeling like the little kid proud of himself for writing a naughty word on the blackboard, and it just gets tiring.

I am generally a big fan of Garth Ennis, and even I don't really care for his work that tries to deliberately be comedy or parody.

All of that praise he caught for the audacity of Preacher didn't do him any favors in the long run. I try to stick to his other fiction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ennis' Hellblazer is the definitive run on the character.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
His Punisher run too.Honestly avoid anything superhero related he's done and you'll be fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

His Punisher run too.Honestly avoid anything superhero related he's done and you'll be fine.

I like The Thousand.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

With one notable exception: Hitman.

The series lies smack-dab in the middle of DC's Gotham, and while it makes Green Lantern and Batman look like chumps, it also includes a phenomenal depiction of Superman.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

"What an unbelievably cool guy."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Ennis' Hellblazer is the definitive run on the character.

It's good, but I think Jamie Delano got Constantine's voice better than any other writer. To me, Ennis' John Constantine sounded like pretty much every other Garth Ennis protagonist, just even more british than usual.

Skwirl posted:

I like The Thousand.

I don't.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The Pro was pretty fun for what it was & much better for Amanda Connor's art. It feels a lot worse in retrospect since Ennis went on to do the pro nine more times for some reason.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'd like his humor more if it didn't so often feel like it was predicated on picking on characters for not being tough-heeled macho men. I mostly really liked his Hitman/JLA thing but the bit about Kyle Raynar getting raped really struck a sour note. Similarly, I reread part of his Marvel Knights Punisher run this weekend and found it a lot more uncomfortable than I did when it first came out. Detective Soap is kind of just trampled over for not being hard enough on crime, and this extends to him pissing his pants, putting a gun to his head, and loving a woman who's implied to be his sister. Ha... ha...? That sure shows him for not unconditionally agreeing with The Big Good Boy, Frank Castle.

I guess it's hard not to read these scenes today in light of his first arc of Crossed (which I believe is the last Ennis I read): he seems to think that the world is a hard and cruel place, but that's a good thing, and that people too sensitive or not "masculine" enough are destined to be humiliated and punished by it, and that's hysterically funny because everyone around them secretly hates them anyway. I mean, look-- The Boys prominently featured a dog that raped people and this was all generally framed as an instrument of karmic and comedic justice. That's just not a world-view I can play along with. Maybe I'm just bitter because I know I'd last two pages in a Garth Ennis comic before a grizzled man in a black trenchchoat knee-capped me for vague reasons.

That being said he has really great comic timing, and I think he generally has a rare knack for knowing what kinds of jokes his collaborators will best be able to land. That bit from The Pro that was just posted isn't very funny or original, but Amanda Conner kind of nails it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd always heard that Ennis' Punisher was the definitive run so when it was on a big digital sale I got the whole thing. Tons of racism and sexism and just stuff that rubs me the wrong way, I never ended up finishing it. I get that "it's the bad guys saying it, they're supposed to be bad" but I'd still rather not subject myself to that kind of stuff, there's too much of it irl anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah so in summary

Android Blues posted:

God, Garth Ennis sucks.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I keep on confusing Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's because they're actually the same person. It's the opposite of Mark Millar who's actually just 3 kids in a trench coat.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If Mark Millar licks goats, what does Garth Ennis do?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If Mark Millar licks goats, what does Garth Ennis do?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Wesley Gibson wiki page is amazingly terribly written. Go read it, you'll have fun. An excerpt:

Some sixteen-year-old posted:

He started with target practice using corpses to shoot, not to just improve his aim, but to get him used to flying flesh and bone. Then he moved on to working in a slaughterhouse to get him desensitized. Mixed in with this was regular beatings so he wouldn't be afraid of getting hurt. From there he moved on to murder. His first kill was the man who had beaten him for weeks, the man punched Wesley so hard that he fell of the chair he was tied on to and used a piece of broken wood from the chair to stab the man through the head.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Wesley Gibson wiki page is amazingly terribly written. Go read it, you'll have fun. An excerpt:
I like that the wiki entry for the character is just a summary of the whole series.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Reading that whole mess then getting down to "Wesley's appearance is modelled on the rapper Eminem." gave me a solid belly laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalli posted:

Reading that whole mess then getting down to "Wesley's appearance is modelled on the rapper Eminem." gave me a solid belly laugh.

TFW