Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That Mafia 3 video kinda reminds me of the Manhunt games on PS2.

Kind of ironically, the subdued and grainy violence and lack of gore in Manhunt 1 was far more disturbing than the ridiculous, over the top bloodbath executions in the awful sequel. Violence where there isn't as much blood as you'd think there would be feels more brutal than something like Mortal Kombat or even Wolfenstein New Order where it's over the top like a Tarantino flick.

The plastic bag executions still skeeve me out. There was something very dirty and...well, rusty? about the violence in Manhunt. It's a fairly standard stealth thing, but the atmosphere and violence really nailed it as an experience I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

When I think of the violence in GoW I think of something a thirteen year old would come up with. Not that that's unusual in the history and present of video games but still, let's not pretend that it's an adult thing.
To be fair, 19-33 year old males, were the 13 year olds of the early 2000's. That's explicitly why Kratos has a beard and a kid now.

Man-Children don't mature they simply age.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The plastic bag executions still skeeve me out. There was something very dirty and...well, rusty? about the violence in Manhunt. It's a fairly standard stealth thing, but the atmosphere and violence really nailed it as an experience I think.

I just like the almost postmodern meta commentary of the game. The main villain is a fat rear end in a top hat who directs the player to commit acts of violence through a computer screen for his own amusement.

Am I talking about Director Starkweather or am I talking about the player?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey be fair now, I don't masturbate to this stuff nearly as often as he did. :saddowns:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

revolther posted:

To be fair, 19-33 year old males, were the 13 year olds of the early 2000's. That's explicitly why Kratos has a beard and a kid now.

I always thought that sort of thing was silly when I was younger, but man, I played The Last of Us for the first time recently and I was consciously aware of Joel being an older dude. I was like, "hey, this game stars an older guy who's greying and hits people with bricks and strangles them, just like me."

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I don't actually hit people with bricks or strangle them, so I don't identify with Joel a whole lot.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

So was Soldier of Fortune too extreme when you could shoot off a guy's kneecap and watch him writhe before plopping him in the face?
I haven't played GoWIII but will contest that I found it very cool from the bits of action I caught were rather interesting; using the thumbsticks to imitate putting your thumbs into someone's eyes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video Nasty posted:

So was Soldier of Fortune too extreme when you could shoot off a guy's kneecap and watch him writhe before plopping him in the face?

Other people might not have drawn the line there, but it definitely made me feel uncomfortable to play at the time, yeah. Had no trouble blowing off the limbs of dinosaurs in Turok 2 or gibbing people in Q3 around the same period, though. For me it's all about the tone and presentation rather than the actual level of violence. When the weapons and setting are fanciful, or obviously played for laughs, then it's a lot easier to accept over the top violence because we all know plasma rifles haven't been invented yet and we won't be fighting mutant dinosaurs until the Trump Cyborg Wars of 2053. When you're shooting at modern realistic people with modern realistic weapons, it's just a little too provocative of actual human war and conflict, which I don't think is something to be trivialized in a video game.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Other people might not have drawn the line there, but it definitely made me feel uncomfortable to play at the time, yeah. Had no trouble blowing off the limbs of dinosaurs in Turok 2 or gibbing people in Q3 around the same period, though. For me it's all about the tone and presentation rather than the actual level of violence. When the weapons and setting are fanciful, or obviously played for laughs, then it's a lot easier to accept over the top violence because we all know plasma rifles haven't been invented yet and we won't be fighting mutant dinosaurs until the Trump Cyborg Wars of 2053. When you're shooting at modern realistic people with modern realistic weapons, it's just a little too provocative of actual human war and conflict, which I don't think is something to be trivialized in a video game.

Thank you for the perspective correction. I was a little older at the time of SoF, so it came off as ultraviolence to me; similar to Quake and even Doom at their respective releases. A stark contrast to Commander Keen and the side-scrolling Duke Nukem games before the series went 3D and also strived for that pinnacle of ultraviolence.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

veni veni veni posted:

gently caress that horrible game it's like Monster energy drink mixed with ISIS.

you sound like a cool dude with no brain problems at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't normally mind ridiculous violence but God of War 3 has a part where you chase down a semi-naked woman and then force her to stand under a switch which ultimately crushes her to death while she goes 'please no help' just so you can get under a door. That's too much for me.
Didn't help that the original PS3 version had an incredibly tasteless trophy for doing so, which was curiously missing from the PS4 remaster...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Even in the first God of War there was a guy in a cage who begged for his release as you slowly pushed him into a fire, again to open a door.

It's gross stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God of War 3 is an actual masterclass in front loading your game with the interesting parts because as soon as you kill the water leviathan thing, that game is entirely poo poo.

It's always been a paddling pool deep gorn series and the new one looks bad for entirely different reasons as to why the old ones are bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Meldonox posted:

I always thought that sort of thing was silly when I was younger, but man, I played The Last of Us for the first time recently and I was consciously aware of Joel being an older dude. I was like, "hey, this game stars an older guy who's greying and hits people with bricks and strangles them, just like me."

:eyepop: You live in California, don't you?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My biggest problem with GoW3 is that they expect me to somehow give a poo poo about him and his plight, because he sorta wants to protect a young girl, even with all the heinous poo poo he pulls.

PSP prequel Kratos I can understand, he's actually sort of heroic and tragic in those. After those he quickly becomes an irredeemable shithead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah despite everything the worst thing about 3 is the story thinking that not killing Pandora the second he meets her redeems him somehow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i mean it's a pretty accurate description

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as I can't stand God of War the new one does actually look like it has potential. Although, I think it would need to have a gameplay overhaul and turn the edginess down a few notches from 11 to grab my interest at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kratos coming to understand compassion and the responsibilities of fatherhood would be utterly unexpected but hey, if literal magic dick self-insert Geralt of Rivia could learn the same lessons in The Witcher 3, all things are possible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

revolther posted:

Narrative game designers write what they know!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Narrative game designers write what they know!

My favorite instance of this was during WoW: Cataclysm where Thrall decided what he really needed with the world on the brink of calamity was a son, weirdly enough around the same time that Chris Metzen had a kid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny how many game protagonists have beards slapped on now. Like, pretty much all of them. I heard Lara Croft will have a nice full beard in the next tomb raider compliments of tressFX™

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Beards are cool

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Obviously it's been a long time coming, we just needed beard technology to catch up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Beards are good

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

veni veni veni posted:

As much as I can't stand God of War the new one does actually look like it has potential. Although, I think it would need to have a gameplay overhaul and turn the edginess down a few notches from 11 to grab my interest at all.

It seems fairly likely that things will be toned down a bit. The trailer they showed had some gnarly gore but there was also an interview with the dev where he said that GoW 3 went way too far into idiot edgelord territory, to paraphrase. Hopefully this will translate into visceral and grotesque combat gore and none of the hurr durr let's torture this random innocent dude to open a door.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Video Nasty posted:

A stark contrast to Commander Keen and the side-scrolling Duke Nukem games before the series went 3D and also strived for that pinnacle of ultraviolence.

You know, we're overdue for a grim, "realistic" remake of Commander Keen. The IP Recyclers are slipping.

Manhunt is still the gold standard for uncomfortable violence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd love something that keeps up the ridiculous spectacle of the earlier games but down the lovely bits so let's hope so.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man, I've always wanted to give that APB a go seeing how crazy the customization is but holy poo poo the performance on PS4 is atrocious. Juddery as gently caress, frame rate troubles, lag in menus, and the game just crashed when I stole a car.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah that's just what APB is like

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I tried really hard to get into god of war back in 2005 when I was like 15 and could never do it

just don't get the appeal I guess. the new one seems interesting tho, at least conceptually

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

When I think of the violence in GoW I think of something a thirteen year old would come up with. Not that that's unusual in the history and present of video games but still, let's not pretend that it's an adult thing.

Well David Jaffe created GoW and he also created Drawn to Death which is literally based on a 13 year old's notebook drawings so it makes sense

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

It seems fairly likely that things will be toned down a bit. The trailer they showed had some gnarly gore but there was also an interview with the dev where he said that GoW 3 went way too far into idiot edgelord territory, to paraphrase. Hopefully this will translate into visceral and grotesque combat gore and none of the hurr durr let's torture this random innocent dude to open a door.

Agreed. What they have shown so far looks cooler and way less tacky.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Reminder that there is a wipeout playlist on spotify

Ineffiable posted:

Can we get a screen cap or a link? I might do this for a persona 5 preorder.

sry late response

This is the link when I click it, idk if it's specific to me. Doesn't do anything special

http://click.playstationemail.com/?...8fdbf3b8027683b

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Reminder that there is a wipeout playlist on spotify

sry late response

This is the link when I click it, idk if it's specific to me. Doesn't do anything special

http://click.playstationemail.com/?...8fdbf3b8027683b

They did a real similar thing to this offer in the EU during March (Spend £/€50 and get 10 back) by means and I asked PlayStation EU's customer service if it will apply to a Persona 5 pre-order and they definitively told me no.

But I got an email the other day saying I qualified so BOO those guys!!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Violence doesn't squick me out, but count me in with those who thought GoW3 was gross.

There's a part in Metal Gear solid 3 where they subvert the player's expectations of game cutscenes and make the player 'pull the trigger' to feel the weight and consequence of that choice, and it's a pretty emotional moment as far as games go.

God of War 3's version of that, pressing the sticks down to gouge out eyes, feels less like a lesson in connecting the player to the consequence of their violence and more like a LOOK AT THIS poo poo WE MADE YOU DO stunt. I'm surprised I didn't put the game down right there.

revolther posted:

Oh god! Oh god, I am a manbaby!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
GoW3 was just a cruelty simulator but without the gotcha at the end like GoW1 that points at Kratos and says "this man is a monster and should not be emulated." Which is important.

Anyway, TF2 is a shootsman and it's good at it but the single player is so memorable and good because of stuff besides shooting mans. I can understand people being put off by the mp beta I guess but not eventually getting around to getting it on sale and playing the single player is doing yourself a disservice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TF2 single player probably gets talked up a little more than it warrants but it's because it's really drat fun. Like, in the end it's a 5 hour long linear shooter campaign but it's memorable because it's paced so well and uses all of the mechanics really well and it's polished as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

Man, I've always wanted to give that APB a go seeing how crazy the customization is but holy poo poo the performance on PS4 is atrocious. Juddery as gently caress, frame rate troubles, lag in menus, and the game just crashed when I stole a car.

You should see it on the bone.