Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

goose willis posted:

I'm sorry friend but change.org petitions are more or less worthless and are solely used for virtue signalling via Facebook shares

Also good luck getting Cuomo to change his mind on that because he probably wants to appear "tough on crime" for his planned 2020 run

I'm aware, but that link contains some good information and people like to share those things so it seemed like successful agitprop to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

financially racist posted:

the thing is mario cuomo was good and if andrew cuomo just aspired to be his father that'd be cool

Seriously. Imagine a world where Mario Cuomo actually runs for president in 1992 and Clintonism doesn't destroy civilization.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

financially racist posted:

the thing is mario cuomo was good and if andrew cuomo just aspired to be his father that'd be cool
i think andrew's lovely stances are a way of saying "gently caress you dad"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Seriously. Imagine a world where Mario Cuomo actually runs for president in 1992 and Clintonism doesn't destroy civilization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdIqKsv624

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/status/847880701223608328

Think they'll actually pull it off?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The president couldn't close a prison with less than 250 prisoners, there's no chance in hell that de Blasio will be able to close one with about 10,000.

That said, I hope I'm proven wrong.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
oranje jumpthut take you down to rikuhs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Closing Rikers has been a thing talked about for a long time, my question is, why? Where are those folks going to go? They just going to be shipped upstate or something? I mean jails actually do serve a necessary purpose even in a perfectly just system.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I guess we will still need gulags in our perfectly just post-capitalistic system.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Closing Rikers has been a thing talked about for a long time, my question is, why? Where are those folks going to go? They just going to be shipped upstate or something? I mean jails actually do serve a necessary purpose even in a perfectly just system.

The idea is to have five (or more) smaller jails, at least one in each borough. A large part of the problem with Rokers comes from the sheer concentration of inmates.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Something tells me a few municipalities Upstate are suddenly going to find themselves with a lot of new correctional jobs.

Speaking of Upstate municipalities, there seems to have been some kind of unfortunate exchange between the City of Albany's chief of staff and an assemblymember, which longtime thorn in Mayor Sheehan's side, Common Council member Judd Krasher, is complaining about here:
https://twitter.com/Juddkrasher/status/848554529125695489
https://twitter.com/Juddkrasher/status/848555676788019202
Couldn't find the exchange itself on either Brindisi or the city's feed. I'm guessing it has to do with this:
https://twitter.com/ABrindisi119/status/848148054146502657
Stay petty, Albany. :allears:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

They plan to set up smaller jails near courthouses across the boroughs

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Just close off all access to Staten Island and ship all the prisoners there and in two hundred years we can come back and they'll all be eating Vegemite and punching out kangaroos

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

The idea is to have five (or more) smaller jails, at least one in each borough. A large part of the problem with Rokers comes from the sheer concentration of inmates.

I guess that makes more sense. Sorry, Upstate! :smith:

How will they afford to buy land in any of the boroughs to put jails in, though?

goose willis posted:

Just close off all access to Staten Island and ship all the prisoners there and in two hundred years we can come back and they'll all be eating Vegemite and punching out kangaroos

Do you think they'll sell Rikers Island cheaply to some real estate investor, who'll flip it around into a rich housing project/vacation spot?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you think they'll sell Rikers Island cheaply to some real estate investor, who'll flip it around into a rich housing project/vacation spot?

turn it into a giant venue and host the governors ball there

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

turn it into a giant venue and host the governors ball there

... Yes! Yes, of course! Governor, we are totally having a ball here. Armed security is for your own protection.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess that makes more sense. Sorry, Upstate! :smith:

How will they afford to buy land in any of the boroughs to put jails in, though?

The city has land. Next to the other costs involved, that's pretty marginal. A big part of the reason that there's so much wind in here sails right now is that Rikers is on the verge of a massive depopulation anyway. Remember, Rikers is a jail not a prison. Over 90% of the inmates are not convicts, but people awaiting trial. This means they can't be sent upstate (they need to be close to their attorneys and court dates). It also means that the various bail reforms and supervised release programs that are rapidly expanding (since most of the pop at Rikers is minor drug offenders who can't make bail and are the target of such programs) will thin out the population considerably. All told, I think they're expecting an eventual drop to fewer than 5,000 inmates. (Down from a peak of 15k). At that point, building some new facilities arguably makes more sense than a decaying, mostly empty penal island.

quote:

The current leading plan I've heard is to use Rikers to expand LaGuardia.

Chevy Slyme has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Apr 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

The city has land. Next to the other costs involved, that's pretty marginal. A big part of the reason that there's so much wind in here sails right now is that Rikers is on the verge of a massive depopulation anyway. Remember, Rikers is a jail not a prison. Over 90% of the inmates are not convicts, but people awaiting trial. This means they can't be sent upstate (they need to be close to their attorneys and court dates). It also means that the various bail reforms and supervised release programs that are rapidly expanding (since most of the pop at Rikers is minor drug offenders who can't make bail and are the target of such programs) will thin out the population considerably. All told, I think they're expecting an eventual drop to fewer than 5,000 inmates. (Down from a peak of 15k). At that point, building some new facilities arguably makes more sense than a decaying, mostly empty penal island.

Thanks for the context.

quote:

The current leading plan I've heard is to use Rikers to expand LaGuardia.

That sounds a long time coming!

Re my above post about Albany pettiness, if anybody's interested, I think this is the tweet councilmember Krasher might be talking about :
https://twitter.com/sheabrian/status/848176036110061574

I... don't see the heckling? Krasher's been taking fire for making unfounded accusations at the Mayor, maybe this is just him jumping the gun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

goose willis posted:

Doing it to Manhatten made a pretty good movie. Not his best work but still pretty good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hey New York City Dwellers. Vote on the participatory budget. Today is the last day, but you can do it online :)

http://council.nyc.gov/pb/vote/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If this means what I think it means, this is good news:

https://twitter.com/matt_hamilton10/status/848642879627177985

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Glad the IDC has found a spine on at least one actual democratic policy.

Still real mad about how much policy is in the budget these days!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Eyyy, I'm postin' here!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hey New York City Dwellers. Vote on the participatory budget. Today is the last day, but you can do it online :)

Yo this is cool as hell and thank you for letting me know about it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Voted my loving rear end off man, voted so loving hard

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for this! Very cool to be able to cast a vote like this online.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

My district doesn't participate :(.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Flags are politics. I tried to design a new New York (state) flag, since ours is a really stupid seal on a bedsheet.

You can google other designs, too! Cool stuff. Artifacts and stuff might be a bit jarring, but it's a mockup.

Tweezer Reprise has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Apr 3, 2017

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
the first five-pointed star represents the five boroughs of new york city, the second five-pointed star represents the five people that live upstate

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i did it outside the walgreens near where i live. i voted for countdown clocks for my local bus stop, an air conditioner at a middle school cafeteria, and other good stuff

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tweezer Reprise posted:

the first five-pointed star represents the five boroughs of new york city, the second five-pointed star represents the five people that live upstate

Nice

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tweezer Reprise posted:

:flipoff:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"not everyone is acting like an adult" -republican state senator, on talks about raising the age of criminal liability

times like this i wish we had a gif of a giant :irony: exploding into many :ironicat:s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sounds like we're getting a budget soon.

Also:

https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/850523076701847552

Edit: It's happening!

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Apr 8, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

We have a budget ???

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

goose willis posted:

We have a budget ???

https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/850524616598618112

:smugdon:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

quote:

ALBANY — After a week of impasse and the worst budget crisis of his administration, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo emerged from his Capitol office late Friday night to announce a deal on a $153 billion budget for New York State.

What percentage of this is going to be spent on USB chargers in buses

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
woo, upstate uber

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

woo, upstate uber

Question is whether Uber will survive long enough to get up here.

Also I've always had a reasonable experience with cabs here, so I dunno. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress Uber