Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

They should make Chaos the pre-order race. Again. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

madmac posted:

As is the fact that they apparently have desert battlemaps already.

There is no 'apparently' we've been playing on them in the badlands for about a year now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ExParrot posted:

what's got me more hyped than warhammer II (and that's pretty drat hyped) is the possibilities for future tw games that can be linked together; imagine being able to play a campaign all the way through from the 17th century and the early colonial period, to the victorian era and the turn of the 19th century in one glorious conquest of blood on a world map.

i can dream, but if that ever happens i'll gladly throw heaps of cash at CA (the way i've always thrown cash at them)

Why would this happen or be more possible than ever before?

There's been total war games across different time periods for like the last 20 years and they've never done this. They've had games that combine campaigns before, Total War already did this, I don't see why this would mean CA is going to link across games.

I mean they could, but they always could and they've never even tried. I really don't think they want to. Not to mention all the impossible balance issues that'd create...

Sorry to rain on your parade :( They tend to change the engine from game to game, which would make that rather difficult to pull off.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

It's just messy anyway you look at it. Effectively a new playable race for the old world but just a freebie LL if you only have game two. Not to mention all pre-orders are something they have to sell later as a discrete DLC, like with Warriors of Chaos.

Mind you I do think they'll have to do something with Old World Skaven eventually I just highly doubt they'll do it as a pre-order bonus.

Re: Dumb Skaven Promotion. They did a very similar thing with the Vampires, not showing them off in the slightest until like two months before release. We knew more about the Warriors of Chaos than Vampires for a long time.

I'm still leaning towards the Pre-Order being Tomb Kings just because CA has never not done a pre-order faction bonus since they started doing pre-order bonuses and to some extent the decision is influenced by Sega anyway. Also because the "We're not ready to talk about what's located in the desert" is an enormously suspicious answer. As is the fact that they apparently have desert battlemaps already.

Comedy Option: Its that Vampire Counts dude we paid off in Game 1 to explore some sunken city thing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Is there a mod to increase the chaos invasion as a longer, more recurring and stronger thing? The ultimate doomsday mod that spawns 40 stacks or whatever at turn 250 is not what im looking for but chaos is beaten way too easily now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Corrode posted:

Has anyone else had the first Empire quest battle bug out on them? I got the little blurb triggering it (the one about Middenland and the secessionists), and then it never appeared - there's no quest marker and it's not in the quest list. It's not a big deal, but it seemed odd.

Oh Lord. I had this happen once. It bugs later quests too because you're out of order. Sometimes there's just a stupid trigger you missed.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Zore posted:

Also technically we haven't seen a Skaven yet. Just a giant rat which is a domesticated beast for them :eng101:

looked like just a cute lil squeaker to me imo

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Is there a mod to increase the chaos invasion as a longer, more recurring and stronger thing? The ultimate doomsday mod that spawns 40 stacks or whatever at turn 250 is not what im looking for but chaos is beaten way too easily now.

Yeah there is, theres this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=734714465&searchtext=chaos+invasion

Its not updated but it still works.

Essentially it delays the invasion for a bit longer, 100 is the general mid invasion and 160 turns is the lategame invasion with all the named dudes. The flipside is that when they DO arrive they arrive in quite a few numbers. Not 40 stacks but in higher stacks dependant on your difficulty setting. At Very Hard the first invasion spawns 8 stacks, the later one with the named LL's spawn 12. It is as said lower on hard and normal so its quite scaleable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gejnor posted:

Comedy Option: Its that Vampire Counts dude we paid off in Game 1 to explore some sunken city thing.

he increases chaos corruption. he's a dark emissary, a reference to the albion campaign from a way back

e: wait am i thinking of someone different

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 3, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chaos could use a cheap fodder Cultist unit. Their armies never look right without 'em imo.

The lack of demons also adds to that I suppose.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tourney matches between Gamerofthegame and ZearothK done!

Round 1: Bretonnia Vs Beastmen
Pit of Shades and Grail Pilgrims being turned into Chaos Spawn pontificates the starkling absence of a Grail Reliaquae

Round 2: Vampire Counts Vs Greenskins
Vampire quartet comes to play a requiem, but da boyz in green shout da loudest.

Thanks for the matches, gamerofthegame, hope to see you on ladder!

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Gejnor posted:

That Vampire Counts dude is Count Noctilus, the main baddie of the Dreadfleet tabletop game and leader of a navy of ships that include the Curse of Zandri mentioned in my prior post, a giant dead Sea Monster crewed by Skaven, a mechanical kraken piloted by Chaos Dwarfs, and a literal ghost ship. Noctilus's personal flagship is a giant ship made of the conglomerates wreckage of smaller ships.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm more of a fan of http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835683630 when it comes to making Chaos an existential threat.

On that vein, since the game is winding down, what's the best/goofiest/interesting mod you use? I'd list mine, but I'm lazy atm, maybe later.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I kinda hope they have Karak Zorn in the Southlands. There's even an event in game 1 about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If they wanted to be a bit better about naming the game, they could subtitle game 1 The Old world, game 2 The New World and game 3 The End of the World.

Course, they already named the main game Total War: Warhammer instead of Total Warhammer so...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Total Warhammer 3 : End Times

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If they wanted to be a bit better about naming the game, they could subtitle game 1 The Old world, game 2 The New World and game 3 The End of the World.

Course, they already named the main game Total War: Warhammer instead of Total Warhammer so...

not for nothing but i am 100% sure when game 2 is more or less done they'll release "Total War: Warhammer New World Edition" just like they did with Old World.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I know the name is silly but I'm sure CA and GW really wanted their own branding on the front of this thing and I can't blame them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jack2142 posted:

Total Warhammer 3 : End Times

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Marketing probably told them that if they called it Total War: Warhammer: Subtitle that instantly cuts down the potential pool of people buying the game to the set that bought the first game.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Aurubin posted:

I'm more of a fan of http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835683630 when it comes to making Chaos an existential threat.

On that vein, since the game is winding down, what's the best/goofiest/interesting mod you use? I'd list mine, but I'm lazy atm, maybe later.

This looks good, thanks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fangz posted:

Marketing probably told them that if they called it Total War: Warhammer: Subtitle that instantly cuts down the potential pool of people buying the game to the set that bought the first game.

In my experience marketing people really don't get this and think not only is it cool and good to have sub-sub-sub titles but should be done as much as possible to cram as many brands into the title as they can

Tom Clancy's©: Rainbow Six™: Siege

The Lord of the Rings™: Battle for Middle Earth II©: Rise of the Witch King

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I think that they just wanted people to know that this was a full game and worth full game price, as opposed to people thinking it's only an expansion and therefore worth substantially less.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
guys do you think auto-resolve in campaign is cheating, the game seems to be ridiculously favorable when you auto-resolve and I've had like the yellow bar fill up 95% of the way when if I actually fight the battle my swordsmen army gets slaughtered by a bunch of trolls or minotaurs

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Typo posted:

guys do you think auto-resolve in campaign is cheating, the game seems to be ridiculously favorable when you auto-resolve and I've had like the yellow bar fill up 95% of the way when if I actually fight the battle my swordsmen army gets slaughtered by a bunch of trolls or minotaurs

It's not very accurate, often enough the auto resolve can be hosed in the opposite direction and it'll tell you that your small army of elite dwarfs will die to a large armor of VC chaff but then you easily crush them on the battlefield.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Auto-resolve tends to spread casualties evenly across the entire army, whereas actual battles tend to see a couple of units absolutely ruined, and others completely intact.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Auto-resolve tends to spread casualties evenly across the entire army, whereas actual battles tend to see a couple of units absolutely ruined, and others completely intact.

Auto-resolve seems to really have it in for my artillery, for example. I just imagine some underofficer going "okay, trebuchet crew, charge those Black Orcs".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
auto resolve over-favors chariots and artillery, as well

or at least doesn't understand that having an entire army of nothing but cannons is a bad thing

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The dwarf repeating cannons are utter bullshit in autoresolve. They'll get 200-400 kills when everyone else gets 40.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knobb Manwich posted:

The dwarf repeating cannons are utter bullshit in autoresolve. They'll get 200-400 kills when everyone else gets 40.

Mine get that many kills in normal battles (I fire them into the back of my troops until they run out of ammo).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kokoro Wish posted:

I think that they just wanted people to know that this was a full game and worth full game price, as opposed to people thinking it's only an expansion and therefore worth substantially less.

No it should all have been free. loving $ega!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Corrode posted:

No it should all have been free. loving $ega!

It should have been this and also about the War of Jenkins Ear!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tiler Kiwi posted:

auto resolve over-favors chariots and artillery, as well

or at least doesn't understand that having an entire army of nothing but cannons is a bad thing

To be fair I'm increasingly finding chariots to be a total bitch to deal with. Especially since Chaos always feels 6-8 units of chariots seems appropriate. Not only do they smash through my lines but the fuckers just don't die either.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
So is the map for the second game going to be shaped like a banana since it covers the entire western continent, fantasy sub-saharan Africa but explicitly doesn't cover fantasy Europe/mediterranean?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In terms of landmasses, maybe more an N shape? With the campaign being a race for the Vortex, I wonder perhaps if they paid the factions off as far as immediate antagonists are concerned; Lizardmen vs Skaven, Elf vs Elf.

It all depends on what they mean by "Southlands." Everything up to Nehekara? The tip with the Lizardmen city and nothing else? I dunno if GW gave them lease to make poo poo up but I don't recall much written about Soutlands locations outside of that city and Karak Zorn.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Aurubin posted:

In terms of landmasses, maybe more an N shape? With the campaign being a race for the Vortex, I wonder perhaps if they paid the factions off as far as immediate antagonists are concerned; Lizardmen vs Skaven, Elf vs Elf.

It all depends on what they mean by "Southlands." Everything up to Nehekara? The tip with the Lizardmen city and nothing else? I dunno if GW gave them lease to make poo poo up but I don't recall much written about Soutlands locations outside of that city and Karak Zorn.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking.

If you look at the full map of the warhammer fantasy world it's basically just the real world with different names.

So if you look at a real map I think it's going to be Eastern half of North America, Central America, and the top of South America, the ocean (which had Ulthuan in it), and West and North Africa.

I don't think the southlands will go all the way down to south africa and I'd be surprised if the include the entirety of the new world.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Kitchner posted:

To be fair I'm increasingly finding chariots to be a total bitch to deal with. Especially since Chaos always feels 6-8 units of chariots seems appropriate. Not only do they smash through my lines but the fuckers just don't die either.

they really blow against not-infantry. monsters, cavalry, anything it can't just knock over repeatedly. high AP damage is good, as well, but they're also not fans of being shot at.

like this fight i won despite being rather short on horsies since they just suck a bunch when dealing when them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jfc :stare:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they really blow against not-infantry. monsters, cavalry, anything it can't just knock over repeatedly. high AP damage is good, as well, but they're also not fans of being shot at.

like this fight i won despite being rather short on horsies since they just suck a bunch when dealing when them.

I actually have more respect for an entire chariot gimmick army than for just having 8 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What the gently caress is the vortex, by the way? Also where is it?

• Locked thread