Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Once you're done with the steak you're left with what they call "Aussie cheese fries" on the menu but which look suspiciously like regular American fries loaded with American cheeses. I'd have to leave it to any actual Aussies in the audience to explain to me what makes these "Aussie." But the cheese fries aren't that bad either.
As an Australian, I have never once seen a cheese fry in my life, and in fact I consider the so-called "blooming onion" to represent an inaccurate and offensive appropriation of our culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Though I did eat kangaroo once.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

FractalSandwich posted:

I consider the so-called "blooming onion" to represent an inaccurate and offensive appropriation of our culture.

...ok so what's the real thing it's appropriating?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the blooming onion is australian in the sense that it is a crime

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Bloomin Onion it's more of an appropriation of Australian wildlife.

You know, because it'll kill you.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

FractalSandwich posted:

Though I did eat kangaroo once.

Kangaroo is just diet gamey beef. Hard to cook well though

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

But thou must!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
From now on anyone who tells Geop to eat the onion must instead eat the onion themselves or face my wrath.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
mega64 eat the onion

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i'm already gonna eat the onion so uh

geop eat the onion

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Kangaroo is just diet gamey beef. Hard to cook well though

Also stinks pretty bad in my opinion. Tastes good though

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zeniel posted:

Also stinks pretty bad in my opinion. Tastes good though

I wouldn't mind trying kangaroo if I could. I bet kangaroo jerky is pretty good.

That said, I don't get the gimmick with Outback Steakhouse. They sell the same kinds of stuff as any western-themed steakhouse like Logan's or Santa Fe. What would an actual Australian restaurant sell, other than kangaroo?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

What would an actual Australian restaurant sell, other than kangaroo?

Grilled sausages, raw onions, terrifying internment camps, and would kidnap your children to be raised in good Christian schools to beat out the "indolent native" in you! it's a lot like American cuisine tbqh

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 3, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mega64 posted:

From now on anyone who tells Geop to eat the onion must instead eat the onion themselves or face my wrath.

What of those of us who have already consumed as close to a facsimile of the Onion as is obtainable? Are we permitted to request the consumption of a certain allium by a certain individual?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So what's so horrible about this fried onion stuff?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

double nine posted:

So what's so horrible about this fried onion stuff?

Fried onions in general or this specific fried onion? Because I invite you to find an Outback Steakhouse and discover the answer on your own.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AJ_Impy posted:

What of those of us who have already consumed as close to a facsimile of the Onion as is obtainable? Are we permitted to request the consumption of a certain allium by a certain individual?

I'll allow it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Stay classy and don't eat the onion, geop.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Become cultured and eat the onion, geop.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Read the Onion, Geop.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mega64 posted:

I'll allow it.

Thank you.

Geop, please eat the Onion.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Geop have a good day

Did I do it right?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Xenoveritas posted:

Fried onions in general or this specific fried onion? Because I invite you to find an Outback Steakhouse and discover the answer on your own.

I'll get right on that

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

I'll get right on that

where is the kickstarter link?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

double nine posted:

I'll get right on that

You don't have to go that far, the one I went to is closer than that. (Technically.)

Alternatively, you could see if you could get one shipped, I can't imagine what that would end up tasting like!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Xenoveritas posted:

You don't have to go that far, the one I went to is closer than that. (Technically.)

Alternatively, you could see if you could get one shipped, I can't imagine what that would end up tasting like!

Taste like pure American Freedom.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

double nine posted:

Taste like pure American Freedom.

Or as we call it here, "nacho cheese."

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Geop, eat the Onion Rings.

Preferably with an awesome burger. Maybe with an ice cold beer too.

Kuvo made a good decision, and you should too. Everyone should actually.

Just don't eat the onion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Should have set up another donation drive for all these Eatings of Onions :v:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Double Punctuation posted:

I wouldn't mind trying kangaroo if I could. I bet kangaroo jerky is pretty good.

That said, I don't get the gimmick with Outback Steakhouse. They sell the same kinds of stuff as any western-themed steakhouse like Logan's or Santa Fe. What would an actual Australian restaurant sell, other than kangaroo?

I always find the idea of Outback Steakhouse peculiar seeing as we don't have steak houses in Australia, at least if we do they're not big chain places. Kangaroo's not even really that common as a food. Some stores do sell it, never really seen a restaurant do it wouldn't be surprised if a few did though, but the main meat staple is beef and chicken.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah, this pretty much is the best effort to bloom it up I've seen yet. Winner. Also, you poor poor man.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Still working on my submission. FYI the paris metro smells like piss everywhere. It's godawful.

Also, I just want to point out that Outback Steakhouse just redid their menu and the default steak seasoning is now spicy. Because when I think "good steak" I think "taste buried in spicy sauces".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

cis autodrag posted:

Also, I just want to point out that Outback Steakhouse just redid their menu and the default steak seasoning is now spicy. Because when I think "good steak" I think "taste buried in spicy sauces".

"Spicy" for an American chain restaurant and "spicy" for a normal human being are two very different things.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

"Spicy" for an American chain restaurant and "spicy" for a normal human being are two very different things.

this is dependant on which part of the states. I am assuming Europe will just use paprika.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure all the major food corps in the US use homeopathic spices/peppers when they have a "spicy/hot" item.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

I'm pretty sure all the major food corps in the US use homeopathic spices/peppers when they have a "spicy/hot" item.

well when you are talking multinationals that makes sense.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A steak shouldn't be spicy in the first place, a steak should taste like steak.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I made kangaroo burgers once and they were pretty tasty. That's as close to real deal, true-Bruce Australia as I've gotten in my life. Thanks for listening.

Geop, what mineral most closely resembles the onion in smell?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Detective Thompson posted:

That's as close to real deal, true-Bruce Australia as I've gotten in my life.

It's true blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Detective Thompson posted:

Geop, what mineral most closely resembles the onion in smell?

I don't think you need to be a geologist in order to deduce that the mineral is almost definitely salt.

• Locked thread