Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else been to their local 99 Cent Store lately? Mine has dropped the idea of being a dollar store and has lots of poo poo ranging from $2 to loving $20. I guess that the signs say $19.99 "it's still 99 cents!" makes it better? Does anyone actually go to the dollar store, see a lovely $20 Inside Out doll and decide, why yes, I need a talking Anger doll!

Dollar Tree is still a dollar. I go there for poster supplies, balloons, and lovely greeting cards for lovely people.

If you go someplace like Family Dollar, it says dollar in the name, but it's not actually a dollar store. And the talking Anger doll is awesome BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I was at a resort a few weeks ago - they had Dammit Dolls at the spa. Look like voodoo dolls, $10, good for relieving stress.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Its super blatant and will never be illegal because there's too much money at stake.

America.txt

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The times has an article on our favorite thing to complain about https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/opinion/sunday/jerks-and-the-start-ups-they-ruin.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

the HN tears are deeeeelicious

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't read all the comments​ but I'm guessing 99% men 80% bros.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

I didn't read all the comments​ but I'm guessing 99% men 80% bros.

Aspirational bros.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Aspirational bros.

These dudes would get kicked out the party for not smelling like Cool Water, ie, smelly tech wanna-bros

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Someone is an accelerationist. Former KMart president named CEO of Pier 1

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/president-kmart-lead-texas-based-pier-imports-46569488

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Payless ShoeSource chain is filing for bankruptcy and closing 400 stores

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Payless ShoeSource chain is filing for bankruptcy and closing 400 stores

Where will my wife buy cheap overseas shoes!,,,!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wells Fargo lost the first of its whistleblower decisions with 5 million to the victim plus they have to rehire him. The bank is repealing the ruling, but they still have to hire the guy back regardless. How awkward is that first day going to be?

Burt Sexual posted:

As opposed to expensive overseas shoes? Almost all shoes are made in China.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wells Fargo lost the first of its whistleblower decisions with 5 million to the victim plus they have to rehire him. The bank is repealing the ruling, but they still have to hire the guy back regardless. How awkward is that first day going to be?

Lies

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How does that work, exactly? Is he like, immune to firing now? I imagine that they can trump up some poo poo to fire him the way most jobs can.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

They were literally the only shoe store in my area that carried shoes in my size. At least until they closed the local store about six months ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

How does that work, exactly? Is he like, immune to firing now? I imagine that they can trump up some poo poo to fire him the way most jobs can.

Mostly, yeah. They can fire him, but they have to give him multiple bad reviews and put him on an action plan first. They can't just fire him on the spot or downsize any department he is assigned to without OSHA coming after them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

You'd think they'd just have to pay damages and lost wages, but if they really do have to rehire him then I hope he goes in everyday with a huge grin on his face and emails the CEO a daily tongue in cheek thank you note.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

He's more or less immune to bullshit firing, but he's now got that one job for the rest of his time with the company and is gonna always have people looking over his shoulder. No promotions, no real raises, and he'll be insulated as much as possible from any actual decision-making until he finds another job, and you can bet that someone from HR or upper management will always, always be looking for him to make some mistake severe enough to let him go. Unless he's powerfully stupid, once the lawsuit is settled for good, he'll leave the company as fast as possible.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Seriously, how,does,one go from heading Kmart to,a failing pier 1?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

Unless he's powerfully stupid, once the lawsuit is settled for good, he'll leave the company as fast as possible.

Or just invest the 5 million and ride that dying horse to the ground.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

How about that soft drink you order when the place you're at doesn't server Coke?

Pepsi created an ad campaign featuring Kendall Jenner that is so bad and tone-deaf, they had to apologize and pull it hours later after a huge amount of backlash.

https://twitter.com/pepsi/status/849679114416115714

The ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5Yq1DLSmQ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Some shoes are definitely expensive. Are saying those ones are all made in the US?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Some shoes are definitely expensive. Are saying those ones are all made in the US?

Does Italy make shoes? I thought that was a thing like Swiss watches

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Italy and Spain make awesome shoes. Go buy a pair of Magnanni's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you're spending over $300 a pair you can find non-Chinese shoes. But otherwise you're stuck with New Balance or Birkenstock. I don't know of any other shoes made here or Europe at the sub-$300 price point.

LL Bean and Redwing make boots here though. There might be others, but that's all I've seen.

Shoes are one of those items that aren't cheap, but whose production still got shipped overseas while not really getting any cheaper. I remember reading an entry in Reagan's diaries where he fretted about allowing more shoe imports into the market, so it wasn't that long ago that footwear was made here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Panera Bread was purchased by the parent company that owns Krispy Kreme for $7 billion. Not sure if Panera has been struggling but I assume it must have been

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chippewa makes some pretty great boots, :911:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

Panera Bread was purchased by the parent company that owns Krispy Kreme for $7 billion. Not sure if Panera has been struggling but I assume it must have been

Why do you assume that? You think they were undervalued?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're buying them and taking them private, so they're forcibly buying out all the shareholders.

I don't know if they've been struggling either, but when you take a company private you're usually expecting the company's value to go up.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Subjunctive posted:

Why do you assume that? You think they were undervalued?

He just knew they've been bought and came to that conclusion based on ????????????

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Recently a bunch of clothing stores have been doing badly and some of them- Gap, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Coldwater Creek- have closed stores near me. Part of this is because of bad design (Banana Republic made an unwearable blazer), some of it is because more women are going to fast fashion stores like H&M and Forever 21. I'm pretty immaturely happy about this because for once it's not my fault I don't like any clothes and nothing fits me.

Is this symptomatic of a bigger trend in clothes shopping, particularly for women's clothing? Or will things go back to how they were once these stores get themselves sorted out?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It seems like 90% of the poo poo in any women's clothing section is stuff I never see anyone wearing, so fixing that would go a long way. There's too much weird poo poo with in-fashion-for-two-seconds cuts and bizarre layering, and not enough basic/classic pieces.

Although the other part is that(like with most retail) people flat-out don't have the money to buy as much as they used to. No easy way to fix that. :v:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Haifisch posted:

It seems like 90% of the poo poo in any women's clothing section is stuff I never see anyone wearing, so fixing that would go a long way. There's too much weird poo poo with in-fashion-for-two-seconds cuts and bizarre layering, and not enough basic/classic pieces.

Although the other part is that(like with most retail) people flat-out don't have the money to buy as much as they used to. No easy way to fix that. :v:

Tax breaks to corporations and trickle down economics, noob.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you're spending over $300 a pair you can find non-Chinese shoes. But otherwise you're stuck with New Balance or Birkenstock. I don't know of any other shoes made here or Europe at the sub-$300 price point.

Allen Edmonds makes shoes in the US, I picked up a pair of black dress shoes from the Shoe Bank for $150.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Panera seems to be doing well. Though I'm mad that they converted all the Paradise Bakery's to Panera. They completely gutted Paradise's confectioneries.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cracked did a video a few months back where a woman complained about how impractical women's clothing was and how she was going to switch to men's clothing. Little does she realize that men's fashion is going the same way as a cost cutting measure.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

trickybiscuits posted:

Recently a bunch of clothing stores have been doing badly and some of them- Gap, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Coldwater Creek- have closed stores near me. Part of this is because of bad design (Banana Republic made an unwearable blazer), some of it is because more women are going to fast fashion stores like H&M and Forever 21. I'm pretty immaturely happy about this because for once it's not my fault I don't like any clothes and nothing fits me.

Is this symptomatic of a bigger trend in clothes shopping, particularly for women's clothing? Or will things go back to how they were once these stores get themselves sorted out?

Gap, J. Crew, and Banana Republic all had the same problem - decreased demand due to workplaces going casual and off-duty wear going ultra-casual (can you imagine wearing a pair of khakis on the weekend now? I'm athleisure from friday night to sunday night and I know i'm not alone), which they all tried to solve in the same utterly crap ways - slashing quality by shipping manufacturing overseas, jacking up the prices to seem "premium" and differentiate from fast fashion, and introducing wacky unwearable styles in unpopular colors to try and attract the very same fast fashion customers they tried to price themselves away from.

Astonishingly, it didn't work. I don't know about BR and Gap, but J. Crew is now locked in a cycle of extreme clearance sales that make it pointless to buy anything full price, and everything but their wedding line is ridiculous and dated. Their wedding line is genius though - I expect to see many imitators in the next few years. Turns out if you sell a non-hideous wedding dress for under a thousand dollars, lots of people will buy it.

Another thing fast fashion does that the more staid mall brands have been resistant to is selling extended sizes. As much as it infurates goons, fat people do exist and would like to clothe themselves. Why would someone even walk into a store they know doesn't carry their size?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The hell is "fast fashion?"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is "fast fashion?"

Like fast food, but for clothes. The cheap crappy popular stuff people buy when they can't afford better or just want something fun. H&M, Topshop, Zara, Forever 21, Old Navy, and part of the collections at places like Target and Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Like fast food, but for clothes. The cheap crappy popular stuff people buy when they can't afford better or just want something fun. H&M, Topshop, Zara, Forever 21, Old Navy, and part of the collections at places like Target and Walmart.

I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Is Uniqlo fast fashion? Their stuff is cheap, but their airism undershirts are the best undershirt I've ever bought.

My wife used to love Old Navy, but now complains that none of the styles suit her and the clothes wear out too quickly. Is that because of fast fashion? I thought Gap/Old Navy/2 other stores were all the same stuff anyway?

I buy most of my clothes at REI or Columbia because, as a fat person, I appreciate cooling and/or moisture wicking garments.