Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used to have this really sweet Italian executive office chair I bought from a law office that was remodeling. I honestly did not know chairs could be that comfortable, I wore it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well I received the Embody from Amazon. The bottom spine screws are stripped, as is likely the base where the screws go in, and a material clip was broken during shipment.

Back to the ole piece of junk chair. I was hoping they would send someone out to replace the $5 clip and some new screws, but I guess a return is somehow cheaper :iiam:.

One negative thing about the chair, is after a couple hours of use my butt starts to hurt.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

ILikeVoltron posted:

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

The leap gave me sciatic nerve damage, and helped aide in the herniation of two discs, requiring surgery. I can tell you sitting in an Aeron (when sitting at sit/stand desk) is like a loving dream compared to those lovely chairs.

The Aeron and some bodybuilt something or other have been there only two chairs I can comfortably sit in for a few hours at a time without noticeable pain. And I tend to notice it pretty fast.

That doesn't mean the Aeron is for everyone, or the leap is for no one, I get that. That's why getting an ergonomic evaluation and testing out various models is key. I'm about to raise hell with my workplace to either let me bring a spare Aeron from home (yay Craigslist), or buy me one, because both of their "ergo" options leave me in pain (leap and teknion project)

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody know how the Steelcase Gesture compares to the HM Embody?
I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and have a "fully loaded" C-size Aeron at the office. It's ok to sit on, shiny, pretty and wears really well but I'm not convinced I want another one at home. The main thing that bothers me is that it forces a certain sitting position on me, for better or for worse.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloFan posted:

Just bought this on sale, use coupon 73438964 for $25 off to bring it under $150

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/277968/WorkPro-Maverick-Multifunction-High-Back-Fabric/

It's kind of a gamble since they didn't have one in store to sit in, but it's relatively cheap and has a 10 year warranty so :rolldice:

Welp get to eat my hat on this one. The chair might be good for some people, but there's not much lumbar support. I used a support pillow and it helped, but my hips have been hurting real bad and I'm pretty sure it's the chair. At least Office Depot made the return easy

Back to the hunt...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

eames posted:

Does anybody know how the Steelcase Gesture compares to the HM Embody?
I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and have a "fully loaded" C-size Aeron at the office. It's ok to sit on, shiny, pretty and wears really well but I'm not convinced I want another one at home. The main thing that bothers me is that it forces a certain sitting position on me, for better or for worse.

I tried out both those chairs last year when I was looking for a chair. I'm 6'7"/250lbs, so generally a similar size but obviously height is more of a concern for me.

I personally liked the Gesture better. Although both were generally comfortable, the Embody generally felt more cramped than the Gesture. The back is wider and felt more substantial, the armrests went out further horizontally than the Embody and as a result the seat felt better too. If possible I'd try them out first, I found that reviews didn't really translate that well when you're 6'+.

e: I guess as a last thing, I actually ended up going for the Aeron size C because it was a bit larger than either (and found a cheap one on Craigslist), but something to keep in mind if you're thinking about switching. The Gesture definitely gives you a lot more options for sitting positions though.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 16, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tedronai66 posted:

The leap gave me sciatic nerve damage, and helped aide in the herniation of two discs, requiring surgery. I can tell you sitting in an Aeron (when sitting at sit/stand desk) is like a loving dream compared to those lovely chairs.

The Aeron and some bodybuilt something or other have been there only two chairs I can comfortably sit in for a few hours at a time without noticeable pain. And I tend to notice it pretty fast.

That doesn't mean the Aeron is for everyone, or the leap is for no one, I get that. That's why getting an ergonomic evaluation and testing out various models is key. I'm about to raise hell with my workplace to either let me bring a spare Aeron from home (yay Craigslist), or buy me one, because both of their "ergo" options leave me in pain (leap and teknion project)

What'd you use before the Leap? I'm somewhat curious if this is a case of having originally adapted your posture with negative results upon switching to the Leap, or maybe some kind of sports history contributing?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

How's that autonomous chair?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So, the front plastic ledge on my Aeron has started to bother my thighs, and I'm thinking of selling it. What else should I look into? I was gonna go down to ikea and put my butt on a Markus to see.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mirra 2

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Tedronai66 posted:

Yea, I get that. Just design wise the aeron is 20 years old and should be let go, if you're looking for good advice in this thread, it should honestly be: don't get an aeron. If you have one and it's comfortable that's fine, but understand the issues and reasons why it's not the best.

foutre posted:

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just from wikipedia, it sounds like if it a) goes higher, a la type C and b) you sit 'perched' on the front portion, then that's basically ok. Is it more of an issue if you like, sit/lean back in it?

Basically, I got a type C (admittedly a lot of list price) so I'm kind of committed to using it atm, but also don't want to gently caress up my sciatic nerve...

e: Ok, having read the linked article, it kind of sounds like the answer is either a) use a high stool or b) don't sit at all... well poo poo.

Tedronai makes a good point here and I think it applies to what you're asking. The mesh bottom on the aeron (for me) gave me nerve damage. That's not to say everybody will develop it (obviously) but it is to say the design isn't right for some people.

eames
May 9, 2009

foutre posted:

I tried out both those chairs last year when I was looking for a chair. I'm 6'7"/250lbs, so generally a similar size but obviously height is more of a concern for me.

I personally liked the Gesture better. Although both were generally comfortable, the Embody generally felt more cramped than the Gesture. The back is wider and felt more substantial, the armrests went out further horizontally than the Embody and as a result the seat felt better too. If possible I'd try them out first, I found that reviews didn't really translate that well when you're 6'+.

e: I guess as a last thing, I actually ended up going for the Aeron size C because it was a bit larger than either (and found a cheap one on Craigslist), but something to keep in mind if you're thinking about switching. The Gesture definitely gives you a lot more options for sitting positions though.

Thanks, that's very useful as I have no way of testing most of the chairs around here. The Embody is off my list now because it's too expensive here in Europe (twice the price of an Aeron), a bit plasticy/creaky and don't like the looks. It may well be that it'd be my favourite chair to sit on but I'm not going to order one blind.
The new short list is Gesture/Mirra 2/Aeron C. I know somebody who owns a Mirra 2 and hopefully there's a Gesture somewhere around here.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys looking to upgrade my lovely Office Depot chair as I'll be solely working from home. Outside of going to the gym 3 times a week, I sit at work 8 hours a day and then I'll do more sitting in my office chair until I go to bed. I'd rather spend the money on a good chair as preventative to back problems later and also I want to be comfortable.

I'm 5'5", weigh 130lbs. I don't care what a chair looks like, it just needs to be very comfortable sitting for long periods of time.

I'm willing to spend a grand or more, so I've looked at a few Steelcases, Herman Millers, etc. I live in a pretty rural area so it will be impossible to find an office furniture supply store that might have certain models on display to test out so I'll be purchasing it blind.

So is a task chair something I should be looking into or is there one model that'll fit the bill with what I'm after?

This is the chair I have now: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/857556/Realspace-Calusa-Mesh-Mid-Back-Chair/

It was the most "ergonomic" looking one at Office Depot when I bought it a few years ago but the fabric material is very uncomfortable and there's not much cushion either.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just get an Embody and be set for life.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
What are the prevailing thoughts on this: https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chair ?

I really wish it had back mounted armrests that pivot up/back. Typically I don't like most armrests that are base/seat mounted.

Anyone have ideas on chairs with back mounted/flip up armrests, with a tall back / headrest, with a good recline that aren't poo poo or ridiculous dx ricer looking or $texas? I'm weird I know.

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 25, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Humanscale Freedom Headrest

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Etrips posted:

Just get an Embody and be set for life.

The better of the two fabrics is important too, IMO. I can't remember what it's called cause they both have lovely names

Trip Report: Roller Blade wheels came in for Embody, the chair is way way more awesome now even for rolling over the occasional stray cord

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need 3 things in a chair, because I think my current Leap is giving up the ghost

1- I'm fat and need something to hold my fat rear end up without the pneumatic pillar or whatever giving out. I'm somewhere between 250-300 lb right now.

2- The armrests need to be loving stellar because my shoulders are hosed up and always tense. I need them to always be exactly the right height and position. Does something exist with armrests that actually move a bit up and down depending on the pressure you put down on them?

3- Seat tilt and the ability to move the seat part forward, because I dunno my legs are long or something?

What've you got for me? I work from home and spend like 10 hours a day minimum in this chair.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Get a standing desk and a stairmaster.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Get a standing desk and a stairmaster.

You know earlier today I was gonna reply haha thanks but actually I think you're right

edit: Research is showing me that for the price of an Embody I can get a drat motorized height-adjustable desk AND one of those fancy desk treadmills later wow

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 31, 2017

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
So we don't seem to have a desk thread. Figured I'd post in here because you guys are likely to have opinions on this. I need a new desk, as sturdy and stable as possible. Wobbling kills me. I also don't really need drawers or additional storage. Just a rigid flat surface to put a monitor, a mouse, and a pad of paper on. I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen locally, so it looks like I'll have to order something.

I had a stroke of genius and thought "what about a science table?" Turns out you can buy these online and they're not terribly expensive compared to a lot of the desks I've seen (and should be absolutely rock solid). https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA00Y0Z97146 is the one I was thinking of. According to the assembly instructions I can take off the book hole part. Good idea or incredibly stupid idea?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

So we don't seem to have a desk thread. Figured I'd post in here because you guys are likely to have opinions on this. I need a new desk, as sturdy and stable as possible. Wobbling kills me. I also don't really need drawers or additional storage. Just a rigid flat surface to put a monitor, a mouse, and a pad of paper on. I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen locally, so it looks like I'll have to order something.

I had a stroke of genius and thought "what about a science table?" Turns out you can buy these online and they're not terribly expensive compared to a lot of the desks I've seen (and should be absolutely rock solid). https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA00Y0Z97146 is the one I was thinking of. According to the assembly instructions I can take off the book hole part. Good idea or incredibly stupid idea?

That is a ridiculously small desk for that price.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

signalnoise posted:

That is a ridiculously small desk for that price.

I only have a ridiculously small space to put it in

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

You know earlier today I was gonna reply haha thanks but actually I think you're right

edit: Research is showing me that for the price of an Embody I can get a drat motorized height-adjustable desk AND one of those fancy desk treadmills later wow

Not to dogpile on you but going with those alternative options is going to be a lot better for you for multiple health-related reasons. In particular immobility and obesity predispose you to a DVT and subsequently a PE. Standing up and moving around is more critical than you might realize.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Not to dogpile on you but going with those alternative options is going to be a lot better for you for multiple health-related reasons. In particular immobility and obesity predispose you to a DVT and subsequently a PE. Standing up and moving around is more critical than you might realize.

Nah as soon as I really thought about it I was like what the gently caress am I doing looking at a way to enable myself to be less active? Hell, if having a LESS comfortable chair leads me to use the standing position more, then that's great. I've been trying to find a way to work at least walking into my regular day, and I think this will be fantastic.

isndl
May 2, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

So we don't seem to have a desk thread.

Over here.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks! Having slept on it, I've realized that the science table is probably not a good idea anyway

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I assume the SecretLab chairs are poo poo? Their complete lack of a return or refund policy kind of kills it for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AlternateAccount posted:

I assume the SecretLab chairs are poo poo? Their complete lack of a return or refund policy kind of kills it for me.

They're Twitch streamer style chairs and based in Singapore with no real presence in the US. So they are probably poo poo on all fronts.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
A guy selling a few Aerons has popped up on my local CL after I've been watching pretty regularly for some. He has offered me a slightly damaged B with full configuration options for $200.
The damage is this:

Considering that I have pretty much never seen any legit listings in my area, is this worth it? I'm getting desperate for a new chair as my 8 year old office depot special is quite literally falling to pieces

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

couldcareless posted:

A guy selling a few Aerons has popped up on my local CL after I've been watching pretty regularly for some. He has offered me a slightly damaged B with full configuration options for $200.
The damage is this:

Considering that I have pretty much never seen any legit listings in my area, is this worth it? I'm getting desperate for a new chair as my 8 year old office depot special is quite literally falling to pieces

Mesh runs are fairly common on old Aerons and they can be replaced without having to change the frame if the frame isn't damaged. $200 is probably fine if everything else is in good shape (i.e. all the mechanical stuff, the piston and base, etc.)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I may be biased against the Aeron but I'd say no because it's such an old design. The Markus is cheaper and good enough and has none of the worries of buying used. :shrug:

If you don't have an Ikea near you though I guess that would be a compelling reason.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That would be a negative. Closest ikea is 6 hours away.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you consume a lot of media on our computer, don't underestimate the usefulness of a headrest.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I actually find the Markus super uncomfortable. But that might be because I am 6'7" and 290. Me weight is an issue, but I've found the Markus uncomfortable when I was 245.

Anyone larger guys here who know of a good chair for tall folks? I've had Arron in a past job and it was "ok". Are the embody or whatever worth it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up a HM Mirra from an office supply outlet today for $150. Bit dusty and some scratches but mechanically all good. Nice to have a decent chair for once.

They had a ton of nice steelcase chairs but they were all purple :geno:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Punkbob posted:

I actually find the Markus super uncomfortable. But that might be because I am 6'7" and 290. Me weight is an issue, but I've found the Markus uncomfortable when I was 245.

Anyone larger guys here who know of a good chair for tall folks? I've had Arron in a past job and it was "ok". Are the embody or whatever worth it?

I'm 6'7" 245 and the Embody was too small. Out of the chairs I tried (Embody/Gesture/Mirra/Freedom/Markus/Leap etc), only the Aeron size C and the Leap Plus were big enough. There honestly just aren't great options, it might be better to just get a standing desk.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've played this game before in this thread but can someone glance at these chairs to see if it's worth a trip to give one of them a test sit?

Steelcase leap for $200

Ugly rear end Steelcase Leap for $100

Those seem comically inexpensive for chairs that come as highly recommended (and retail for as much) as Leaps do. Am I missing something that makes them this cheap besides "used?"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Boxman posted:

I've played this game before in this thread but can someone glance at these chairs to see if it's worth a trip to give one of them a test sit?

Steelcase leap for $200

Ugly rear end Steelcase Leap for $100

Those seem comically inexpensive for chairs that come as highly recommended (and retail for as much) as Leaps do. Am I missing something that makes them this cheap besides "used?"

They're ubiquitous and they are older versions. Steelcase sells "V2" versions of the same chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're ubiquitous and they are older versions. Steelcase sells "V2" versions of the same chair.

To add, used office/task chairs can be pretty drat cheap when companies have to sell 100 of them. I picked up a used steelcase chairs for around $200 shipped years back.