Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Personally I've seen a marked increase in the difficulty to nut after SSRI's. Haven't used them in a long while, and it's easier than when I was actively on them, but I think it's permanent at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Personally I've seen a marked increase in the difficulty to nut after SSRI's. Haven't used them in a long while, and it's easier than when I was actively on them, but I think it's permanent at this point.

Hence the name?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This is not only a perfect username/post combo, but a reasonable effect of SSRIs in most people of both sexes.

I definitely had more difficulty for a while (on Escitalopram) but it's been over a year on the meds at this point and things seem to have gone relatively back to normal, though not quite the "same feeling" as before meds.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I was on escitalopram for a few years and had some difficulty getting off. I took ginkgo biloba for a while and it seemed to help a bit. I tried a few other meds and ended up on vortioxetine (Trintellix). Works great and doesn't seem to have any sexual side effects. Only thing that sucks is that it's relatively new and my drug plan doesn't cover it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So in order to get my dick shooting like it did before SSRI's, I need to permanently consume a new drug habitually?

What a brave new world.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, ssri's can gently caress up your cumming permanently???

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yep. Basically you gain a 'tolerance' to the effects of the SSRI on your neurochemistry, which may last months, years, or a lifetime after you discontinue its use. Kinda like drinking, only your liver is slightly happier on SSRIs.

If those effects include difficulty with or delay in orgasm... well, good luck?

(Then again some people find that switching medications and/or quitting them is enough to put them right back where they were, so bodies are weird and :iiam:)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Wait, ssri's can gently caress up your cumming permanently???

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction is a thing, though it's rare it's actually permanent. Most people's side effects go away within a few weeks of discontinuing them, but in a few people it takes a lot longer to get back to 100%. There's evidence that occasionally changing meds helps prevent this, and if you experience sexual side effects (not everyone does) adding Wellbutrin can counteract this.

Psych drugs are weird and much more of a trial-and-error process than other drugs.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 4, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm at ~6 months since completely off them. Still not back to pre-SSRI nut status.

As always, I will keep this thread and my twitter updated on nut status.

e: science goons above, post a graph or something showing the distribution of people who have permanently messed up nutting with x-axis as time since last SSRI or some poo poo.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I used to have a lot of problems orgasming on Zoloft. Id come very close but then nothing would happen. However I'm also a trans woman so my orgasms a bit more fickle anyway. Lately it hasn't seemed so bad but I only masturbate now about once a month. Have you tried a different technique? Focusing the head in lieu of attempting to emulate piv in the more traditional way has helped me immensely.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm at ~6 months since completely off them. Still not back to pre-SSRI nut status.

As always, I will keep this thread and my twitter updated on nut status.

e: science goons above, post a graph or something showing the distribution of people who have permanently messed up nutting with x-axis as time since last SSRI or some poo poo.

There's not enough data to make that kind of chart, this is still a relatively new idea that's being researched; especially determining whether something is permanent or just long-term is difficult. Persisting sexual disfunction 6 months out is definitely not uncommon, but in animal studies at least, there are rarely permanent changes unless the SSRIs were started at a young age. Given you have a good idea of your "pre-SSRI nut", I'm guessing you started as an adult, and in which case, it will probably keep slowly improving as the years go on.

Or, if it's just a small difference and depending on your timeline, it could just be getting older and your nut would be a bit lower than it was regardless of taking SSRIs. Either way, taking arginine or doing kegels or whatever else won't hurt you and are worth trying.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wonder if being on ssri's during a large part of your teens has any effect on sexual development. I was on prozac daily from age 15-19.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

hoobajoo posted:

There's not enough data to make that kind of chart, this is still a relatively new idea that's being researched; especially determining whether something is permanent or just long-term is difficult. Persisting sexual disfunction 6 months out is definitely not uncommon, but in animal studies at least, there are rarely permanent changes unless the SSRIs were started at a young age. Given you have a good idea of your "pre-SSRI nut", I'm guessing you started as an adult, and in which case, it will probably keep slowly improving as the years go on.

Or, if it's just a small difference and depending on your timeline, it could just be getting older and your nut would be a bit lower than it was regardless of taking SSRIs. Either way, taking arginine or doing kegels or whatever else won't hurt you and are worth trying.

Yeah first went on them in adulthood. This is good info but please don't put pre-SSRI nut in quotations. It's a v scientific term.

I considered that the change in nut is independent of the SSRI and simply due to age, but I'm still in my 20's. Aging is certainly going to suck though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How many fingers before attempting penetration? It’s gonna be the first time for me and this girl. Two finger kinda hurts for her even after a ton of foreplay, wondering if that’s a red flag to avoid attempting penetration.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Vegetable posted:

How many fingers before attempting penetration? It’s gonna be the first time for me and this girl. Two finger kinda hurts for her even after a ton of foreplay, wondering if that’s a red flag to avoid attempting penetration.

I'm sure you will be fine. :v:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Are you using lube? With enough lube you can stick an anvil in any orfice.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Two fingers comfortably is the standard, good advice. Try lube if you haven't already, and lots of oral.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Vegetable posted:

A loose 2 or tight 3 is what works best for me. Agreeing that lube will help, especially if it's her first time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lube is a good idea, but it's not a magical substitute for going slowly and making sure she's comfortable proceeding.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction is a thing, though it's rare it's actually permanent. Most people's side effects go away within a few weeks of discontinuing them, but in a few people it takes a lot longer to get back to 100%. There's evidence that occasionally changing meds helps prevent this, and if you experience sexual side effects (not everyone does) adding Wellbutrin can counteract this.

Psych drugs are weird and much more of a trial-and-error process than other drugs.

Wellbutrin turned me into a sex machine when I was on SSRIs. YMMV.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been with two women who were virgins and who couldn't initially be penetrated. For one of them it was just impossible to enter as if her vagina was shut, and with the other penetration was possible but painful. It was not a question of lubrication, but it seems to have been vaginismus caused by nervousness.

Good news though: eventually it became possible to have normal intercourse, can't say why but they probably just got more comfortable with the situation. If it doesn't work initially, keep fooling around and trying and it's probably going to be fine.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

hoobajoo posted:

There's not enough data to make that kind of chart, this is still a relatively new idea that's being researched; especially determining whether something is permanent or just long-term is difficult.

I am absolutely amazed at the lack of research into sexual stuff especially on the positive side but pretty strongly on the negative side as well. I do research and some of that research relates to cannabinoids. I give talks occasionally and after two of them in two different states I was approached by members of the audience who asked me why nobody is doing serious research into whether or not cannabis improves sex. Not on the alleviation of dysfunction side of things, on the "sex on cannabis is friggin' awesome, but why?" side. I flew a couple of serious study designs past a few more senior people and either got waved off completely or told something to the effect of "good luck with THAT one".

I'd like to fly an MTurk survey to try to get the prevalence of cannabis used specifically to augment/improve/alter sex but I'm afraid that the sampling frame would be so biased that I couldn't publish the results. That said, 10,000 people responding to a survey titled "Questions about sex" that prunes out people who might try to influence the results might work. Pay participants five cents for ten questions or something with the last question specifically asking "do you use cannabis in any form with your partner to augment/improve/alter sex?" What do you folks thing?

I've seen this mentioned in this thread but not in the op; what is the "pot and butt stuff" thing? Like what is the common knowledge that is being discussed here?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I was approached by members of the audience who asked me why nobody is doing serious research into whether or not cannabis improves sex.

Because marijuana continues to be a schedule I controlled substance, which makes obtaining government clearance for research all but impossible.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ChlamydiaJones posted:

"sex on cannabis is friggin' awesome, but why?"

I'm no scientist man, but I'd imagine it's the same reason for any vasodilator, like poppers or viagara. Increase of blood flow, hence easier and longer arousal, more intense headrush, etc., also with the decreased inhibition factor.

As for weed and butt stuff, I know that butt stuff increases my orgasm intensity. I also know that weed increases my orgasm intensity. Used together, my orgasms feel like my brain is on fire and my soul is flying out of my dick, hth.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Geoj posted:

Because marijuana continues to be a schedule I controlled substance, which makes obtaining government clearance for research all but impossible.

Nah, NIDA funds all kinds of cannabis research and the study I described didn't involve dosing people, simply asking them anonymous questions about their habits. My IRB is fine with the concept and won't require more than a cursory review, I was simply surprised that other researchers in either cannabis or sex were so dismissive. Now if you want to discuss dosing people then you get into some fairly stringent regulations and it can take years to fill all the requirements but still, dosing can be done using NIDA product for THC. You can also do CBD dosing using european purified products but you need a drug importer license. I was more interested in the puritanical roadblocks that keep people from collaborating on studies asking pointed questions about sexual pleasure. Hell, clitoral physiology and enervation were only described in in young, healthy women in 2005;

quote:

Published in final edited form as:
J Urol. 2005 June ; 173(6): 2060–2063.
CLITORAL ANATOMY IN NULLIPAROUS, HEALTHY, PREMENOPAUSAL VOLUNTEERS USING UNENHANCED MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING
HELEN E. O’CONNELL*,† and JOHN O. L. DeLANCEY
From the Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia, and Department
of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan (JOLD), Ann Arbor, Michigan

quote:

Although there has been some recent progress, advances in understanding male sexual function
and dysfunction have not been paralleled by similar advances in female sexual function, even
in basic anatomy and physiology. A problem facing researchers in female sexuality is the fact
that the clitoris is largely an internal structure relative to the external visibility of the penis.
Clitoral anatomy based on cadaveric studies have been limited by the lack of access to younger
specimens with most being from elderly, postmenopausal women in whom erectile structures
were distorted by the absence of blood flow and by the embalming process.

so I guess it's expected that combining cannabis and sexual pleasure into a single study would get a pretty immediate roadblock.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I am absolutely amazed at the lack of research into sexual stuff especially on the positive side but pretty strongly on the negative side as well. I do research and some of that research relates to cannabinoids. I give talks occasionally and after two of them in two different states I was approached by members of the audience who asked me why nobody is doing serious research into whether or not cannabis improves sex. Not on the alleviation of dysfunction side of things, on the "sex on cannabis is friggin' awesome, but why?" side. I flew a couple of serious study designs past a few more senior people and either got waved off completely or told something to the effect of "good luck with THAT one".

I'd like to fly an MTurk survey to try to get the prevalence of cannabis used specifically to augment/improve/alter sex but I'm afraid that the sampling frame would be so biased that I couldn't publish the results. That said, 10,000 people responding to a survey titled "Questions about sex" that prunes out people who might try to influence the results might work. Pay participants five cents for ten questions or something with the last question specifically asking "do you use cannabis in any form with your partner to augment/improve/alter sex?" What do you folks thing?

I've seen this mentioned in this thread but not in the op; what is the "pot and butt stuff" thing? Like what is the common knowledge that is being discussed here?

As well as the aforementioned legal problems of researching the Mary J, it's also hard to get proper clinical funding for trials for things like having better sex, as opposed to medication for cancer or depression when no pharmaceutical company stands to massively profit from it. No idea if MTurk surveys are considered valid in academia, but there is unarguably a level of self-selection going on there.

Weed and butt stuff is a tongue in cheek meme we go on about, because people often ask how to make sex better and those are the two most popular answers.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Nah, NIDA funds all kinds of cannabis research and the study I described didn't involve dosing people, simply asking them anonymous questions about their habits. My IRB is fine with the concept and won't require more than a cursory review, I was simply surprised that other researchers in either cannabis or sex were so dismissive. Now if you want to discuss dosing people then you get into some fairly stringent regulations and it can take years to fill all the requirements but still, dosing can be done using NIDA product for THC. You can also do CBD dosing using european purified products but you need a drug importer license. I was more interested in the puritanical roadblocks that keep people from collaborating on studies asking pointed questions about sexual pleasure. Hell, clitoral physiology and enervation were only described in in young, healthy women in 2005;

so I guess it's expected that combining cannabis and sexual pleasure into a single study would get a pretty immediate roadblock.

Are you in the US? The country that tries its hardest to defund climate science and all sorts of other "unwanted" science? The country that keeps toing and froing regarding abortion, sexual health and basic medical questions. Good luck explaining to somebody who doesn't get that a warming earth and flooding are a problem, and who doesn't really believe in science unless it furthers his bottom line, why his agency pays money that -- whether directly or indirectly -- contributes to you researching a) drugs b) sexuality c) sexuality on drugs, all of which are pointless because they are a) bad b) bad c) bad bad. I wonder why people are less than inclined to just research these things.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

hoobajoo posted:

As well as the aforementioned legal problems of researching the Mary J, it's also hard to get proper clinical funding for trials for things like having better sex, as opposed to medication for cancer or depression when no pharmaceutical company stands to massively profit from it. No idea if MTurk surveys are considered valid in academia, but there is unarguably a level of self-selection going on there.

Weed and butt stuff is a tongue in cheek meme we go on about, because people often ask how to make sex better and those are the two most popular answers.

My argument is "quality of life" but I agree with you and Hollow Talk, "it's the Puritanical stupid" which makes me sad.

MTurk has quite a few published validations on PubMed, I think that if the survey were designed by a good psychometrician that you could publish the results at least as an observation of prevalence. I'm inclined to try at some point. Any psychomatricians reading this thread are invited to PM me so that we can collaborate!

Okay, so the W&B meme is here because they are common elements but then we get the anecdotal evidence of "soul exploding out of penis" from Origami Dali right? One has to wonder whether this is a true effect that would benefit people and improve QOL. drat that's a difficult survey to run though. I know some people in industry but asking that specific question requires anonymity for the respondent....... or a thread like this.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Trip report: the Sunday afternoon post-coitus nap is the best sleep ever. Also, my wife, who swore against butthole pleasures, is starting to enjoy it thanks to this threads advice to start touching it anyway
:feelsgood:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Condimentalist posted:

Trip report: the Sunday afternoon post-coitus nap is the best sleep ever. Also, my wife, who swore against butthole pleasures, is starting to enjoy it thanks to this threads advice to start touching it anyway
:feelsgood:

:feelsgood: indeed. Glad to hear the thread is actually doing what it's supposed to.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Please don't do anything to someone they explicitly asked you not to do

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Quandary posted:

Please don't do anything to someone they explicitly asked you not to do

Um, what? It sounds more like "I don't like thing", then "If we go about it like this, you might like the thing", and later "You know, I do actually like the thing more than I thought I would". Trying out stuff your partner likes and finding out you kinda like it too is one of the best parts of relationship sex.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She "swore against" it and he decided to "start touching it anyway." I'm sure he'll be back to tell us he didn't mean that, but it doesn't sound good

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Um, what? It sounds more like "I don't like thing", then "If we go about it like this, you might like the thing", and later "You know, I do actually like the thing more than I thought I would". Trying out stuff your partner likes and finding out you kinda like it too is one of the best parts of relationship sex.

This. I think she saw anything anal as very taboo, but after I talking about it and asking her to touch my butt, she requested the same. And it turns out everybody likes butt stuff!!!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Whole lotta sexual assault up in here. MAGA!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hollow Talk posted:

Are you in the US? The country that tries its hardest to defund climate science and all sorts of other "unwanted" science? The country that keeps toing and froing regarding abortion, sexual health and basic medical questions. Good luck explaining to somebody who doesn't get that a warming earth and flooding are a problem, and who doesn't really believe in science unless it furthers his bottom line, why his agency pays money that -- whether directly or indirectly -- contributes to you researching a) drugs b) sexuality c) sexuality on drugs, all of which are pointless because they are a) bad b) bad c) bad bad. I wonder why people are less than inclined to just research these things.

The majority of pharmacological research is funded by corporations in the US, and they would shoot rocket fuel and PCP into your dick if they could demonstrate the vaguest hint of efficacy.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hollow Talk posted:

I'm confused. What does this have to do with butt stuff?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

MightyJoe36 posted:

I'm confused. What does this have to do with butt stuff?

American's are assholes.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Geoj posted:

Arginine & lysine are nitric oxide precursors, taken with each other at a 2:1 ratio results in stronger erections. I took them daily for a few months in the summer of 2015, it made a slight difference but wasn't worth taking daily. I just take them a few hours before sex now and it has almost the same effect. Might be a different story as I get older though (mid-30s now.)

If it stops working, consider adding pycnogenol:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20184576
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17703218
Prelox (the drug in the BJU article) is a combination of Arganine, Taurine and a bark extract called Pycnogenol. I had really bad depression early in my first semester back in school and it was affecting function and got some Arganine/Pycnogenol from smartpowders after reading this article, and it's pretty great. There's also some studies supporting using pycnogenol for skin health, heart health, wound healing and ADD, and I can't even find a case study reporting negative effects, so hey.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Anne Whateley posted:

She "swore against" it and he decided to "start touching it anyway." I'm sure he'll be back to tell us he didn't mean that, but it doesn't sound good

The story of a goon who quite literally touched the poop.