Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Timby posted:

If you want to give yourself cirrhosis of the liver, do a re-watch of the series starting with season 2 and take a drink every time Sheridan says, "nonononono." You'll be needing a liver transplant by War Without End.

I thought of nonono-nono as more of a catch-phrase/call-back. It wasn't necessarily "good" but I can still hear it in my mind damned near two decades after the show ended. It's not quite a "How you doin'" or "All right all right all right" but it's a perfectly passable quirk.

For example, I use "X is a series of tubes" all the time. I spend a lot of time talking about microfluidics, so it's not entirely off target and it usually gets a polite chuckle. It'd be a dated joke anywhere else but in Silicon Valley, "The Internet is a series of tubes" will pretty much never not be funny. Like, so much so that in the future Comp Sci majors who know a lot about their field but not a lot about the history of computer science will assume that the pictures of old school vacuum tube computers also incorporated the early internet. Why? Because every old hand still jokes that it's "just a series of tubes".

Anyway, long story long, it's a bad joke I use when I need to redirect the conversation. But my manager now cracks up whenever I use that joke, not even because it is almost sort of funny but because it has become anti-humor. All of my clients are different, so I obviously customize my presentation to my clients. At the same time, all my clients are very similar so I end up having a lot of similar conversations. A lazy grab-bag (especially if you talk to a lot of different people regularly as opposed to talking to the same people regularly -- the latter gets Markov-y real quick) is a great thing to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, if the show had treated Sheridan a bit more harshly on that I'd be fine, but Garabaldi's opposition is dismissed as mind control and Deconstruction of Falling Stars basically goes "Sheridan did nothing wrong and thinking so is wrong". It's probably my least favorite episode of B5.

Also, it's hilarious Franklin folds quickly in the telepath case despite being massively stubborn on smaller ethical problems in the past.

Franklin was arguably the best actor in the shows history. Not even taking into account his deafness he nailed emotion and passion like no other actor. When he went all in with anger or rage it almost became a physical presence in its own right. Everyone loves Londo and G'Kar but their biggest strength was the casual back and forth banter and serious talk. Franklin was the master of the angry dialogue.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

pentyne posted:

Franklin was arguably the best actor in the shows history. Not even taking into account his deafness he nailed emotion and passion like no other actor. When he went all in with anger or rage it almost became a physical presence in its own right. Everyone loves Londo and G'Kar but their biggest strength was the casual back and forth banter and serious talk. Franklin was the master of the angry dialogue.

Absolutely. When he got that righteous fury going, Biggs was really a great presence.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Milky Moor posted:

Absolutely. When he got that righteous fury going, Biggs was really a great presence.

Most people remember the elevator scene with G'Kar and Lando but Marcus and Franklin in the cargo hold was a big moment for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burning_Monk posted:

Most people remember the elevator scene with G'Kar and Lando but Marcus and Franklin in the cargo hold was a big moment for me.

I dunno, that was a conversation that can only end in a gunshot....

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem with the Boxleitner acting is a lot of scenes he comes off a bit psychotic (which works towards the end) because he's saying his lines with half a smile on his face. O'Hare when he was pissed/delusional from torture was a bit more terrifying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shbobdb posted:

For example, I use "X is a series of tubes" all the time. I spend a lot of time talking about microfluidics, so it's not entirely off target and it usually gets a polite chuckle. It'd be a dated joke anywhere else but in Silicon Valley, "The Internet is a series of tubes" will pretty much never not be funny. Like, so much so that in the future Comp Sci majors who know a lot about their field but not a lot about the history of computer science will assume that the pictures of old school vacuum tube computers also incorporated the early internet. Why? Because every old hand still jokes that it's "just a series of tubes".

This always cracked me up because I worked for a networking infrastructure hardware company for like 7 years in the early 2000s, and the metaphors we all used internally as engineers described the Internet as a series of "pipes", long before the "tubes" thing happened. From the perspective of capacity and oversubscription it was exactly the right set of vocabulary. Stevens' wording was all perfectly accurate as far as we were concerned, just completely by accident.

Anyway, I've mentioned this before but all I want to know about Boxleitner is whether he can do a Bill Clinton accent.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's weird how basically every race has a military that integrates both genders, but they still keep using the phrase "women and children" for harmless civilians.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Finally cracked open my DVD collection and started rewatching. S1 is pretty good, I don't know if its me knowing how much of this will payoff later or the DVD format letting watch several episodes in one go. If anything I'm getting more frustrated with mid to late S2 now that the plot has finally got going. Every time an episode looks standalone or filler I think "get back the Narn-Centari war" or "show me more Shadows being mysterious and evil dammit!"

I forgot just how callous Bester was, I thought he was a telepath supremacist but in his second appearance he murders three psychics and thinks he gunned down a dozen more and isn't affected at all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

Finally cracked open my DVD collection and started rewatching. S1 is pretty good, I don't know if its me knowing how much of this will payoff later or the DVD format letting watch several episodes in one go. If anything I'm getting more frustrated with mid to late S2 now that the plot has finally got going. Every time an episode looks standalone or filler I think "get back the Narn-Centari war" or "show me more Shadows being mysterious and evil dammit!"

I forgot just how callous Bester was, I thought he was a telepath supremacist but in his second appearance he murders three psychics and thinks he gunned down a dozen more and isn't affected at all.

Bester is a telepath supremacist in the sense that he'd always save a telepath over a mundane, all things being equal.

However, Bester is a very law-abiding individual. To him, a rogue telepath might be worth more than a mundane but they have acted against Psi Corps (and, therefore, the organisation that will best protect and guide telepaths) and Bester is the personification of Psi Corps. He cut out his own heart to do what is best for the Corps a long time ago because he thinks it is the best thing for telepaths. All telepaths are his people but he won't abide rogues because they turn what should be, in his mind, normals against telepaths to telepaths against telepaths.

Loyal Telepaths > Rogue Telepaths > Normals

The Psi Corps trilogy really examines Bester's mindset. Good books but I lost my copies a few years ago.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
I still get bummed out when Walter White gets sent on his suicide mission.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DAS Super! posted:

He's a father of five too! :ohdear:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For Verizon customers, Go90 is streaming B5. Happy watching.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Shbobdb posted:

I was surprised to see it on the Go90 website. Now if only I had a good VPN.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Shbobdb posted:

Actually looks like it's for everyone. i'm on T-Mobile and watching it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Making my way through the series, and one thing bothers me (Season 3 spoilers)

I'm surprised that Londo didn't suspect Morden killed his lover. Morden confronts Londo in the hallway, Londo again says he is done with him, and shortly after his lover is dead. You would think that would raise serious red flags with Londo.

Of course I'm not completely done with Season 3 yet (three more episodes to go) so maybe this is addressed later

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DAS Super! posted:

if you think of him as Tim Whatley, it becomes easier to accept his death.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

if you think of him as Tim Whatley, it becomes easier to accept his death.

What are you? Some kind of anti-dentite?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

At least he was able to keep his pants on for this. That we know of.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's easier to bend over and kiss your rear end goodbye without pants on.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks to whomever posted the link to go90.com with all episodes streaming.

I'm into the latter parts of Season 2. First time I've re-watched the series since, oh, the early 2000s.

I forgot all about the fate of the Markab in "Confessions and Lamentations." That's some heavy poo poo.

I'm also noticing a lot of world- and character-building that I missed, like Franklin's growing Stim addition and Garibaldi's alcoholism.

In fact, with Garibaldi, it looks like it was Londo that got him to drink his first drink, in the episode where Londo is all sad about how his new "friends" all seem to want something. He waits for Garibaldi at the bar and, when Garibaldi finally shows up, he drinks a colorful drink instead of his usual water.

It's possible the first drink came in an earlier episode--I only watched the highlights of Season 1--but I'm pretty sure that was it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks to whomever posted the link to go90.com with all episodes streaming.

I'm into the latter parts of Season 2. First time I've re-watched the series since, oh, the early 2000s.

I forgot all about the fate of the Markab in "Confessions and Lamentations." That's some heavy poo poo.

I'm also noticing a lot of world- and character-building that I missed, like Franklin's growing Stim addition and Garibaldi's alcoholism.

In fact, with Garibaldi, it looks like it was Londo that got him to drink his first drink, in the episode where Londo is all sad about how his new "friends" all seem to want something. He waits for Garibaldi at the bar and, when Garibaldi finally shows up, he drinks a colorful drink instead of his usual water.

It's possible the first drink came in an earlier episode--I only watched the highlights of Season 1--but I'm pretty sure that was it.

Garibaldi does not relapse until the later seasons. He is sober until then

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Just finished re-watching season4, I will always love Sheridan being told that he has to resign and how he might have done the right thing but he did it the wrong way blahblahblah, and then he gets to be all "thats cool, these peeps just made me president o space! peace out!"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In that scene he's the smuggest dude in the entire planet. Some people consider Bruce Boxleitner a bad actor, but I loved him in B5

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's funny that overthrowing the government in a military coup backed by alien governments then becoming galactic dictator is more or less what Clarke's propaganda was saying he wanted to do

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

In that scene he's the smuggest dude in the entire planet. Some people consider Bruce Boxleitner a bad actor, but I loved him in B5

I grew up watching him in things like TRON and Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and B5 when it aired in my early twenties. I'm hopelessly biased in favour of the man, regardless of what his actual acting chops may be.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

It's funny that overthrowing the government in a military coup backed by alien governments then becoming galactic dictator is more or less what Clarke's propaganda was saying he wanted to do

He's hardly a dictator, though. We see the limits of his power pretty clearly in season 5.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

That was always a bit I never really felt like they explained, why Sheridan was doing"yes, and" and it was okay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's pretty lucky he became some kind of messianic figure with mostly unquestioned rule, because writing up some kind of Babylon 5 constitution and holding elections on the station could've been a nightmare.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

I grew up watching him in things like TRON and Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and B5 when it aired in my early twenties. I'm hopelessly biased in favour of the man, regardless of what his actual acting chops may be.

Me too.

He's so dreamy! :swoon:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

He's a pretty good voice actor, though I don't think he's ever been in much in that regard. I only know of 2 credits but they were both pretty good. Check out Tron Uprising (animated prequel to Legacy, its actually pretty good though) and Spec Ops: The Line.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah sure but he turned out to be SpaceWashington not SpaceStalin.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was thinking some today about Londo, and how he's more or less unique, at least in my experience, as an anti-villain. There are plenty of antiheroes, but the flip side of the coin is much less common. In fact I'm not sure I can think of any off the top of my head.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
Ben Linus from Lost seems like an anti-villain.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hm, maybe. I'll have to think on that one; Ben is a great character, and my memory of Lost is faded a little now. He played his hand closer to his chest than Londo, but as I recall he started out like a villain and became more complex.

I was thinking that Londo actually does have a conscience and knows he's making evil choices, and regrets it, but still does it because he either can't think of an alternative, or can't bring himself to back out because he's already gone too far.

So I would say an antihero is someone like Riddick in Pitch Black, who isn't particularly a good person but ends up on the right side because he doesn't have much of a choice. Whereas I was thinking the reverse for an anti-villain. Londo isn't per se a bad person, but he does, and enables others to do, a lot of bad things, because even though he knows better he just keeps getting roped in even further.

Thoughts?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gaius Baltar might be partway there, but maybe not all the way.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Delsaber posted:

Gaius Baltar might be partway there, but maybe not all the way.

Do sniveling baby steps actually count as 'partway,' or are we basing this on a technicality?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

So I would say an antihero is someone like Riddick in Pitch Black, who isn't particularly a good person but ends up on the right side because he doesn't have much of a choice. Whereas I was thinking the reverse for an anti-villain. Londo isn't per se a bad person, but he does, and enables others to do, a lot of bad things, because even though he knows better he just keeps getting roped in even further.

Thoughts?

To continue a bit, as I recall, Ben in Lost always thinks he's doing the right thing ("we're the good guys"), whereas Londo knows he's done the wrong thing, knows he'll pay a heavy price for it, and knows he'll continue doing it anyway, despite the warnings of others and of his own conscience. Most of his villainy is an act he puts on because now he feels it's expected of him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The big difference between Londo and Gaius is just exactly that, yeah. Londo knows what he is doing is wrong but does it willingly and accepts his complicity in everything. Baltar often attempts to place the blame on others and never really accepts his own sense of agency. When Baltar says, "I don't have a choice", it's an excuse to make himself look better. When Londo says it, and Vir points this out to him, Londo is knowingly lying to himself to try and make himself feel better.

I think it happens twice in the series where Londo argues that he has no choice. Once with Vir, who basically goes 'yes you do!' and I think the prophetess who says that people only say they have no choice when they're already made up their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Stephen Furst has passed away. :smith: