Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also,

THIS YEAR

FANTASY GOLF

COULD CHANGE IT ALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is Darren Rovell fired yet, there's no way he couldn't be replaced by a twitter bot that RTs press releases of shoe companies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

Also,

THIS YEAR

FANTASY GOLF

COULD CHANGE IT ALL

Yeah, but it's still not as bad as it was a couple years ago. Also once the Masters is over the ads will probably stop being spammed.

I hope :ohdear:

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 3, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Northwestern football complained about playing on two Fridays, so the conference changed them to Saturdays. Enjoy FS2.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Y'know what? Good. Absolutely nobody was going to tune in to see Northwestern play Maryland anyway, and you're never going to get the 2-3 schools that are any sort of a draw to agree to do a Friday game. This was an idiotic decision by Delany in the first place and I'm glad schools are pushing back on it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Y'know what? Good. Absolutely nobody was going to tune in to see Northwestern play Maryland anyway, and you're never going to get the 2-3 schools that are any sort of a draw to agree to do a Friday game. This was an idiotic decision by Delany in the first place and I'm glad schools are pushing back on it.

I might have! I don't care about high school football at all and if it's a Friday where I'm not going out I'd rather watch that than most MAC games or whatever. But I do totally get why schools don't want to do it or dislike midweek games generally

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I might have! I don't care about high school football at all and if it's a Friday where I'm not going out I'd rather watch that than most MAC games or whatever. But I do totally get why schools don't want to do it or dislike midweek games generally

It's a fact of life for the MAC, hell now the entire month of November, nobody in the MAC will play a Saturday game, which itself is kind of wild to think about. I just think you either go all-in on this sort of thing or you don't. The B1G wanted to do it halfway.

At the same time, the MAC schools have literally nothing for them but TV exposure. Even teams like Indiana and Northwestern can still draw live crowds.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Northwestern draws a crowd as long as they're playing a school with lots of fans living in Chicago or willing to travel

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm surprised the big ten caved to fitz instead of the expected answer of "lol you're northwestern"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

oh thank god woody paige is safe :geno:

Super delayed, but I think ATH panelists are paid per appearance, so the only way you get more money apart from Tony is to appear multiple times in a week.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/4897114397

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Now that's a blast from the past. Two blowhards being interrupted by a blowhard family.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Frank Kaminsky been lightin up Dan Dakich's dumb rear end on Twitter all day today.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

joshtothemaxx posted:

Frank Kaminsky been lightin up Dan Dakich's dumb rear end on Twitter all day today.

Well, share!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What's your guys take on analyst's like Kenny Smith and others publicly cheering for their teams during broadcasts?

Kinda curious. if I'm approaching things from the wrong way via being annoyed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's your guys take on analyst's like Kenny Smith and others publicly cheering for their teams during broadcasts?

If they're being paid by that team to broadcast for them... can you blame them? If they're supposed to be neutral (such as if Brian Anderson somehow has to call the Brewers in the post season on national TV, which has happened, funny enough) and doing that, then by all means, be annoyed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

If they're a game announcer it's grating. If they're studio analysts I don't really care, especially because that particular crew is supposed to be more casual and fun.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's not reporting on the loving senate, he's talking about sports. It's fine.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Most of the media is just lovely Celtics or Bulls fans anyway, and like all of Fox Sports One's west coast media crew is ASU alum so I just know the media is out to get me, personally and maliciously, so I'm used to it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

And no one is asking for him to go to prison, it's also fine to not like super homer announcers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

MourningView posted:

Hi Kenny Smith.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

iospace posted:

Well, share!

I'll post it, because it's an argument between two reasons why I got Badger hoops season tickets.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Grittybeard posted:

And no one is asking for him to go to prison, it's also fine to not like super homer announcers.

I would be in favor of quite a few announcers going to prison forever, starting with Reggie miller

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coco13 posted:

I'll post it, because it's an argument between two reasons why I got Badger hoops season tickets.

That's missing the best moment
https://twitter.com/fskpart3/status/849064974827876353

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Tony Romo is replacing Phil Simms, according to the SportsBusiness Journal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Dallas QBs for both networks? Ugh.

Saw Simms at my bar in Atlanta last season. Wonder if he knew he was on the chopping block.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You'd be hard fuckin' pressed to do worse color commentary than Phil Simms though

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jackie D posted:

I would be in favor of quite a few announcers going to prison forever, starting with Reggie miller

alexa mute reggie

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

:hellyeah: It'd be cool if Nantz was sent packing, too, but this is a good start.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Romo is gonna be really good at it once he gets a few games under his belt and yeah just about anyone replacing Sims is good news

Grittybeard posted:

The dude went to UNC of course he roots for them. Pretending otherwise for the sake of some self important nonsense about the sanctity of the press box just seems silly. It's not like he's calling the game either, he's just pre and post game stuff.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 4, 2017

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Beadle is replacing Sage Steele on NBA Countdown.

Here's the average reaction to it:
https://twitter.com/victordukes23/status/849276668866961408

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

The dude went to UNC of course he roots for them. Pretending otherwise for the sake of some self important nonsense about the sanctity of the press box just seems silly. It's not like he's calling the game either, he's just pre and post game stuff.

I don't really have a problem with Kenny, pre and post stuff doesn't bother me much unless it's just over the top terrible. I was applying your statement to guys like Rex Hudler who add nothing but bullshit and suck the fun out of watching games.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Troy Queef posted:

Beadle is replacing Sage Steele on NBA Countdown.

Here's the average reaction to it:
https://twitter.com/victordukes23/status/849276668866961408

I don't pay much mind to ESPN commentary but they both seem kinda bland and inoffensive?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chunkles posted:

I don't pay much mind to ESPN commentary but they both seem kinda bland and inoffensive?

Sage is all about the All Lives Matter movement

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea sage is a black republican who pretty much thinks blacks get shot by police because they don't comply

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

chunkles posted:

Michelle Beadle got into it with Stephen A over dumb things he said about domestic violence. She's cool in my book.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Amazon Prime is taking over streaming rights for CBS/NBC Thursday Night games

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/4/151..._source=twitter

I know I've heard Amazon wanted to get into the sports streaming game so there it is

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Interesting. I still don't get what the benefit is for these online companies if the games are on network TV.

I thought it'd be interesting if Amazon got something like the NBA. Would be great for the sport and Amazon can actually create a streaming service that functions right unlike the NBA.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Interesting. I still don't get what the benefit is for these online companies if the games are on network TV.

There are two big benefits. One is that tons of people don't watch things on their TVs exclusively. The other is added value for Amazon Prime. They LOVE adding poo poo to Amazon Prime to increase its perceived value. An NFL logo would do them wonders, even with the NFL not quite being as powerful and valuable a brand as it was a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

There are two big benefits. One is that tons of people don't watch things on their TVs exclusively. The other is added value for Amazon Prime. They LOVE adding poo poo to Amazon Prime to increase its perceived value. An NFL logo would do them wonders, even with the NFL not quite being as powerful and valuable a brand as it was a few years ago.

I don't think it did much for Twitter last year. But I guess if they have nothing but money to spend, it adds to their image a bit. I could see having the exclusive streaming rights to Sunday Night Football or something. But TNF sucks and you can still stream it via NBC/CBS and Verizon. Just seems like a really narrow audience to target.

Amazon picking up sports seems like a good idea but I think they'd be better off going big and getting Sunday Ticket or one of the other League Pass packages which bring enormous value to Prime customers.