Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Quoting to remind myself to listen after work.

Have you ever checked out BitSymphony? I really liked what they did with VII's music.

Yeah I saw them linked off those videos, they're alright but it seems like they're just upscaling or whatever the existing music. They're doing something but it mostly just sounds like slightly higher-quality versions of the original songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Raxivace posted:

I don't think the problem with Hope is his archetype, I think the issue was more that his mom's death scene was kind of awkwardly handled and its kind of hard for some players to feel the same way about her as he does as a result.

You mean in how Hope keeps trying to connect his mom's death to Snow's fault? Even though the death scene itself is silly, I don't think it's unreasonable that Hope is still generally mad at Snow given how Snow acts in Chapters 2/3, which I'd think would be enough to set Hope's arc on track anyways. At least that's how I was more or less.

bloodychill posted:

It wasn't as good as the FF7 OST but "not living up to fan expectations" can be applied to everything about FF8. On its own merits, the FF8 OST is nice and varied, tending towards better low-tempo chill songs like Blue Fields.

I know I'm biased since I'm in the "love ff7, hate ff8" camp here, but I really don't think the negative reactions are entirely just because of not living up to expectations. FF8's story isn't bad because it's not as good as 7's, it's bad because it gives up later on (as you mentioned yourself). The gameplay systems aren't bad because they aren't as good as 7's (I don't even like 7's systems very much), they're bad because they are just super breakable and not particularly fun in the first place.

This is of course just my opinion on those points, but my overall point is that it's not like 7 is the magical bar to compare to for other FFs; a lot of the opinions are just not satisfied with their actual execution.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ventana posted:

You mean in how Hope keeps trying to connect his mom's death to Snow's fault? Even though the death scene itself is silly, I don't think it's unreasonable that Hope is still generally mad at Snow given how Snow acts in Chapters 2/3, which I'd think would be enough to set Hope's arc on track anyways. At least that's how I was more or less.

I know I'm biased since I'm in the "love ff7, hate ff8" camp here, but I really don't think the negative reactions are entirely just because of not living up to expectations. FF8's story isn't bad because it's not as good as 7's, it's bad because it gives up later on (as you mentioned yourself). The gameplay systems aren't bad because they aren't as good as 7's (I don't even like 7's systems very much), they're bad because they are just super breakable and not particularly fun in the first place.

This is of course just my opinion on those points, but my overall point is that it's not like 7 is the magical bar to compare to for other FFs; a lot of the opinions are just not satisfied with their actual execution.

I'd agree on the gameplay system when played as-is, but easily my favorite thing about 8 is how much fun you can have breaking the game system in half. Low-level runs in most other FF games usually involve being super careful, exploiting weaknesses, lots of Phoenix Downs, the usual thing, which is fine and fun in its own right, but 8 is unique in that you can do a low-level run that still involves doing 9999 damage per hit and maxing out a bunch of stats. I think the ability to junction statuses to weapons was real neat (see the above-mentioned spaceship section, where junctioning 100 Death spells to your attack = 100% insta-kill rate), the Card Mod ability let you pull ridiculous spells and items and such without gaining XP, etc.

loving around with the mechanics outweighed the story dropoff in that game, IMO. It's still one of my favorites.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Vargatron posted:

I never got the derision for the FF8 OST. I agree that it had a lot of good music, but I hear a lot of complaints about it.

You do? In all the years since the game's release I don't think I've ever heard people complaining about FF8's soundtrack on any kind of larger scale. Even most people who hate the game admit that the soundtrack's good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care for 8 and it has one of the best soundtracks in Final Fantasy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ventana posted:

Nah I mean the death scene itself and kind of Nora's character in general. I think while Hope's general rage and subsequent blaming of Snow makes sense on paper, it would play better dramatically if Nora hadn't been at best a meme character and a worst in that somewhat contrived scene where she tells Snow to protect Hope without somehow actually mentioning his name as she dies. The player ends up with a different perception of Nora than Hope does and I think it isn't in the game's favor.

Like if I were to compare Nora to another character in Final Fantasy, it would be how Jared was handled in FFXV.

EDIT: I think this comes off a little more word salady than I intend but I hope I'm getting the point across.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 4, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FF8 is great for the mellow stuff like the overworld theme and places like Balamb and Fisherman's Horizon. I love the regular battle theme, too, it's pretty subdued for a battle theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbORjWw_6No

The boss theme is pretty :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk

also the Black Mages cover of it is :black101: as gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zev79FxRjO4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also! For those of you who don't like MMOs, you should at least hear some of the redone songs from older games that made it into FFXIV:

Atma Weapon battle from FF6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDbr6_WtEE

Self-explanatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHq8Ic8a6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFw3grUhKhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKXRBK14GU

They also love throwing little flourishes in from older games, like the Weeping City of Mhach music that apes the FF9 battle music, or the boss music that uses the Prelude as the main riff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EojhFhX8Dw

FFXIV has really loving good music you guys!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Raxivace posted:

Nah I mean the death scene itself and kind of Nora's character in general. I think while Hope's general rage and subsequent blaming of Snow makes sense on paper, it would play better dramatically if Nora hadn't been at best a meme character and a worst in that somewhat contrived scene where she tells Snow to protect Hope without somehow actually mentioning his name as she dies. The player ends up with a different perception of Nora than Hope does and I think it isn't in the game's favor.

Like if I were to compare Nora to another character in Final Fantasy, it would be how Jared was handled in FFXV.

EDIT: I think this comes off a little more word salady than I intend but I hope I'm getting the point across.

Part of the issue is that Hope's relationship with his mother isn't well developed other than "is my mom" and it kind of takes away from the emotional impact of the death. At base we can all relate to losing our parents but they could have played up the drama a bit by doing a flashback scene or something like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vargatron posted:

I never got the derision for the FF8 OST. I agree that it had a lot of good music, but I hear a lot of complaints about it.

For me it's that I like a lot of the tracks, but they're not as catchy as is typical of Uematsu, but on the other hand, the tracks I don't like are more ear wormy in a bad way.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

but I can't believe Blank, Marcus and Ruby didn't try to talk him down from it.

you know they did and eventually they just gave up

baku just laughed the entire time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

you know they did and eventually they just gave up

baku just laughed the entire time

I don't believe Ruby backs down from any argument :colbert:

Also the Tantalus boys know/work for Cid. Must have been a hard convo to get him or his adopted daughter to not send word.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Controversial opinion: the best doggo in Final Fantasy is Umbra. Sure, Shadow and Angelo are the only puppers that help out in battle, but can you get some time-traveling paw from them? Didn't think so.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Controversial opinion: the best doggo in Final Fantasy is Umbra. Sure, Shadow and Angelo are the only puppers that help out in battle, but can you get some time-traveling paw from them? Didn't think so.

You also can't get some paw from those other 2. Umbra best.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

seiferguy posted:

What was the mechanic with Shadow's dog anyway? My only time playing 6 his dog took the hit for him and never showed up again, did he die?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

What was the mechanic with Shadow's dog anyway? My only time playing 6 his dog took the hit for him and never showed up again, did he die?

No, he just has a chance of blocking and counterattacking physical attacks. Depending on the version you play that can be pretty bugged.

Edit: Basically the way it works is that either Shadow or Relm (if Shadow dies) has a status effect which amounts to a chance Interceptor will block and then counter a physical attack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

No, he just has a chance of blocking and counterattacking physical attacks. Depending on the version you play that can be pretty bugged.

Edit: Basically the way it works is that either Shadow or Relm (if Shadow dies) has a status effect which amounts to a chance Interceptor will block and then counter a physical attack.

Oh that's neat and the Relm part is real sad.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah I saw them linked off those videos, they're alright but it seems like they're just upscaling or whatever the existing music. They're doing something but it mostly just sounds like slightly higher-quality versions of the original songs.

Oh, this guy is good. (Pontus) He's done Battle on the Big Bridge since I last checked out his channel. :getin:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

And you can permanently transfer this effect to other characters using Rippler (or to an enemy, which causes the Interceptor effect to go away forever if you don't get it back before the enemy dies) because FF6 is really buggy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mega64 posted:

And you can transfer this effect to other characters using Rippler because FF6 is really buggy.

wait what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

wait what

Rippler exchanges status effects and due to bad programming it counts ALL status effects, not just normal ones, so things like Interceptor's status can be exchanged.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rippler is nutty and FF6 is an incredibly buggy game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

haha that's awesome, I knew it was buggy as poo poo but that's a new one.

Vanish/Sketch was always a favorite, though I was always afraid to do it on an actual cartridge since I read it could gently caress up your game permanently.

e: I recently was able to track this down, it's one of my favorite early GameFAQs things ever: the COMPLETELY BOGUS FINAL FANTASY 3 FAQ ! !

https://10206000949050588919.google...u2ltBXoazWZbhHA

It's essentially a giant crossover fan fiction in FAQ form. Read on to find out how to add Kefka to your party, and also Mega Man X, and Kefka's good twin brother Kafek, the Bowser Esper, the secret door to the FF2 Overworld, etc. It's all super-detailed, all the secret characters have command sets, etc. It's so great.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 5, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's a whole LP dedicated to FF6's glitches, and there's probably been a good bit more discovered since then.

It's amazing this game works at all, as long as you are careful using Sketch of course. And you don't try to go back to Narshe during the Zozo arc with only Shadow. And you don't fight the opera house rats in the Japanese version WoR to accidentally teleport back to the WoB. And...

E:

Kelp Me! posted:

e: I recently was able to track this down, it's one of my favorite early GameFAQs things ever: the COMPLETELY BOGUS FINAL FANTASY 3 FAQ ! !

It's essentially a giant crossover fan fiction in FAQ form. Read on to find out how to add Kefka to your party, and also Mega Man X, and Kefka's good twin brother Kafek, the Bowser Esper, the secret door to the FF2 Overworld, etc. It's all super-detailed, all the secret characters have command sets, etc. It's so great.

Holy poo poo, I actually remember this. It's got to have been close to twenty years since I first read it.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 5, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Most of the characters from FF8 have some sort of character development, but does Rinoa? I don't really remember her growing that much as a person compared to Squall or Seifer, or even characters like Quistis and Zell. Been forever since I played FF8 and haven't followed the LP in awhile (though I definitely want to catch up at some point, solid read from what I did catch) so serious question.

Rinoa has a character, it's just that it's sidelined and forgotten so she can be Squall's girlfriend. They build up this tense relationship with her father and then that's forgotten so I can only assume they never had any closure and the moral of the story ends up being "you don't need a healthy relationship with your parents, just find a boyfriend."

There was also her weird "I don't want to fight" speech in the Orphanage but that similarly goes nowhere.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The first time I played FF6 (well, 3...) on SNES, my brother and I had 2 saves. His save file got the inventory bug. I'm not sure how he triggered it, but it must have been the vanish / sketch trick. His inventory was filled with Illuminas, Paladin Shields and Atma Weapons. I never got mine to do that :saddowns: But there was a time in Kefka's tower that the game bugged out during a random encounter. The encounter suddenly restarted, and a new party jumped in, which had General Leo in it. Then it reset immediately after and the game broke to where I had to do a hard reset.

I bet the majority of kids saying that it was totally possible to get General Leo in your party were telling the truth, it's just that the game bugged out in a unique way for them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kelp Me! posted:

Iscar Matthias and his good twin brother Caris.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you play FFRK you should probably consider doing some rerolls due to the anniversary dungeon that gives out 50 mythril upon completion, and no you can't fail it (I think?) even as a newbie. Run dungeon, do an 11 pull, reroll if the pull is garbage.

How long is the anniversary dungeon doing to be active for? (Also is there a good list of what relics are really good?)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zerilan posted:

How long is the anniversary dungeon doing to be active for? (Also is there a good list of what relics are really good?)

Three more days, I think. The "dungeon" is a super-short fake fight against a magic pot where you hit it while the game's currency pours out of it.

It's a shame you're rolling in at the end of the anniversary since most of the special banners have gone away. I'd recommend pulling on the Keeper's Choice VOL. 2 (not 1) banner, until you get at LEAST one of Sentinel Grimoire or Platinum Sword (which have hugely useful Soul Breaks), and preferably 3+ different relics on a single pull. The Burst Soul Breaks and the Physician's Staff would be the other top items to get in addition to the two big ticket items. After your pull you can select one item from a list to get for free. I'd probably select the Red Armlet (armor anyone can wear with bonuses to all the useful stats, and boosts fire damage), or the Esthar Bracers (same type of armor, and adds an AoE heal shared SB anyone can use) or Gaia Gear (also has an AoE heal shared SB, but boosts earth damage instead of giving stats, and not everyone can use it). If you pull the Physician's Staff, the shared healing relics aren't as important.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Three more days, I think. The "dungeon" is a super-short fake fight against a magic pot where you hit it while the game's currency pours out of it.

It's a shame you're rolling in at the end of the anniversary since most of the special banners have gone away. I'd recommend pulling on the Keeper's Choice VOL. 2 (not 1) banner, until you get at LEAST one of Sentinel Grimoire or Platinum Sword (which have hugely useful Soul Breaks), and preferably 3+ different relics on a single pull. The Burst Soul Breaks and the Physician's Staff would be the other top items to get in addition to the two big ticket items. After your pull you can select one item from a list to get for free. I'd probably select the Red Armlet (armor anyone can wear with bonuses to all the useful stats, and boosts fire damage), or the Esthar Bracers (same type of armor, and adds an AoE heal shared SB anyone can use) or Gaia Gear (also has an AoE heal shared SB, but boosts earth damage instead of giving stats, and not everyone can use it). If you pull the Physician's Staff, the shared healing relics aren't as important.

Pulled twice and didn't get the two big ones you mentioned but got the Physician's staff and a few that had burst listed on them. I don't think rerolling is an option at this point anyway since I'm already doing this on my phone with my primary Google account? So gonna just spam early dungeons for mythril and try to get at least another 11 pull. Currently at 33 myth.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 6, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zerilan posted:

Pulled twice and didn't get the two big ones you mentioned but got the Physician's staff and a few that had burst listed on them. I don't think rerolling is an option at this point anyway since I'm already doing this on my phone with my primary Google account? So gonna just spam early dungeons for mythril and try to get at least another 11 pull. Currently at 33 myth.

I haven't played RK in ages, but if you have 'a few relics with Burst listed on them'? You're good. Burts send that character into sort of a 'super mode' that gives them really strong abilities in place of attack and defend. You probably don't have all the characters ypu got relics for, so I recommend beelining for them.

I had two by the time I stopped. Paladin-Cecil's could get him to hit the damage cap against basically anything not resistant to holy for several turns, and my properly-kitted Vaan was able to stay in burst mode forever which let him debuff both defense and magic for the whole fight. I don't like either of them as characters and I couldn't use Vaan for reasons I've already said, but those two were easily my beefiest beefboys.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Iscar Matthias and his good twin brother Caris.

Well somebody needed to pilot Cait Sith No. 2

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is Type-0 HD worth picking up on the PS4, or is there anything important to know before starting it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is Type-0 HD worth picking up on the PS4, or is there anything important to know before starting it?

No, unless it's like 5 bucks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zerilan posted:

I'm going to recommend you to the Record Keeper thread because they'll have more up to date advice. I've never rerolled and it's probably not necessary, but if you still want to they can tell you if it's possible

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I had fun with it but didn't get super far. Life keeps preventing me from playing real games anymore, so here I am reading FFXV spoilers because I haven't gotten to play it in months.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

it has one of my favourite FF battle systems, and assuming you're in the US, you can get it for ~$20 on Amazon, which is reasonable imo. you have a bunch of people to choose from for your parties, and you can mostly stick to your favourites, but you'll probably want to keep all of them fairly levelled for the missions here and there where you have to use everyone. there are expert quests that you're not really meant to do until NG+, so just keep that in mind.

some people might point out that there are some creepy side plots, but I think for pretty much all of them you have to go out of your way to find them, so it's not a huge deal. I don't think I ever even found one.

also if you're a trophy hunter, it's a pretty easy platinum to get.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Random question: what do people think of the FFX Battle Theme? I was suddenly seized with a desire to listen to it again and I like how distinct it is from other normal battle themes in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question: what do people think of the FFX Battle Theme? I was suddenly seized with a desire to listen to it again and I like how distinct it is from other normal battle themes in the series.
I've never had any strong opinions on it. It's fine when I'm playing the game but if I ever want to listen to music from FFX while I'm reading a book or something its never a track I put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

it's alright. maybe I'm tainted by my lack of No Encounters weapons, but I either get tired of it or tune it out completely, generally. my favourite is VIII's.

in some ways, though, rhythmically, X reminds me of XIII's, which is also pretty good