Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hell yeah, Norska has a new album coming out. I really enjoyed their S/T, was worrying they'd be a one-shot aside from that 7" split with Fister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Darthemed posted:

Hell yeah, Norska has a new album coming out. I really enjoyed their S/T, was worrying they'd be a one-shot aside from that 7" split with Fister.

they're so loving rad

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

well, if the press is inaccurate then it might make sense to be a bit annoyed. Also if the press is giving them attention at the expense of other, better bands, which maybe isn't the case here but has certainly happened in the past.

If there's one thing consistent about metal fans though it's their willingness to quickly turn on something that gets mainstream attention. Inter Arma was underrated for years and then got on a bunch of 2016 year-end top 10 lists, then suddenly a bunch of haters came out of the woodwork just because other people liked it. Paradise Gallows is a fantastic prog-sludge album but it's like being really awesome is some horrible detriment for a lot of people.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 31, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

If there's one thing consistent about metal fans though it's their willingness to quickly turn on something that gets mainstream attention. Inter Arma was underrated for years and then got on a bunch of 2016 year-end top 10 lists, then suddenly a bunch of haters came out of the woodwork just because other people liked it. Paradise Gallows is a fantastic prog-sludge album but it's like being really awesome is some horrible detriment for a lot of people.

It makes a certain amount of sense to dislike bands like that if they're getting mainstream attention but aren't particularly good. I don't really care about pallbearer but they seem like pretty unremarkable doom to me, which makes the critical attention they've gotten sort of baffling. Wolves in the throne room were the best example of this - a not very good band that got a lot of attention by people who didn't know anything about black metal just by having certain stances in interviews and being from the us. If the band hadn't gotten that attention at all then probably people wouldn't have bothered to voice an opinion even though they didn't like them, because why bother to talk about yet another mediocre band?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who the gently caress hated on Inter Arma? I have never heard of any backlash toward them.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

inter arma kicks loving rear end and thats all i have to say

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

Wolves in the throne room were the best example of this - a not very good band that got a lot of attention by people who didn't know anything about black metal just by having certain stances in interviews and being from the us. If the band hadn't gotten that attention at all then probably people wouldn't have bothered to voice an opinion even though they didn't like them, because why bother to talk about yet another mediocre band?

actually the backlash from the black metal community was because around the 2nd album they came out in an interview as hippie feminists, hah. before this became common knowledge the first album was generally pretty well received and it's still a great piece of old school norwegian black metal worship

scene guys can be fickle, and a band can lose their scene support overnight if they step out of the mold. pallbearer are definitely a real band with some good riffs and a vocalist that stands out. they deserve all the attention they can get, even if I don't like them.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

A human heart posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense to dislike bands like that if they're getting mainstream attention but aren't particularly good. I don't really care about pallbearer but they seem like pretty unremarkable doom to me, which makes the critical attention they've gotten sort of baffling. Wolves in the throne room were the best example of this - a not very good band that got a lot of attention by people who didn't know anything about black metal just by having certain stances in interviews and being from the us. If the band hadn't gotten that attention at all then probably people wouldn't have bothered to voice an opinion even though they didn't like them, because why bother to talk about yet another mediocre band?

lol

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The thing about Pallbearer for me is the first album has a completely different sound that is just more appealing, I listened to it quite a bit. The guitars sound better and more interesting. There was a vibe there. Their subsequent releases have guitar sound that does not interest me. Add on top of that more overly long noodley melodies and more of that singing things get pretty hard to like for me. It has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion of the band. When I finally saw them live after wanting to see them for years I left early. I mean they don't suck and are a good band but I don't like the music they play now.

Inter Arma evolved in almost completely different way for me. I didn't like their first album. I thought The Cave was OK until I saw them do it live. After that I was fan. Then Paradise Gallows was released and that's probably my favorite album from 2016. It covers so much ground so effectively. For example I love the juxtaposition of the death metalness of "Archer in the Void" vs. easy groove of "Summer Drones".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The first Pallbearer album just sounds like Warning with more riff variation

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Here's the new Elder artwork, album releases June 2nd.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first Pallbearer album just sounds like Warning with more riff variation

Yeah, I can dig that.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MOTHERFUCKIN ELDER YESSSS

edit: how is there not already a Mormon metal band named Elder?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I was having a drink with my buddy yest and he told me he just joined Cavity.

So expect some news from them :)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Elder also has tour dates for Europe in July/August. They're planning US dates for October. Here are those dates for the Eurogoons:

Elder / King Buffalo European Tour 2017:

14.07.2017 GER - Erfurt, Stoned From The Underground
15.07.2017 PL - Pleszew , Red Smoke Festival
16.07.2017 GER - Hannover, Chez Heinz
17.07.2017 DK - Copenhagen, Pumpehuset
18.07.2017 TBA
20.07.2017 NOR - Tromsö, Bukta Festival
21.07.2017 NOR - Oslo, Blå
22.07.2017 NOR - Fekkefjord, Fjellparkfestivalen
24.07.2017 GER - Hamburg, Hafenklang
25.07.2017 GER - Wiesbaden, Schlachthof
26.07.2017 GER - Berlin, Lido
27.07.2017 NL - Nijmegen, Merleyn
28.07.2017 GER - Siegen, Vortex
29.07.2017 TBA
30.07.2017 F - Paris, Glazart
31.07.2017 GER - Munich, TBA
01.08.2017 I - Milan, Magnolia
02.08.2017 RUS - Moscow, Volta*
03.08.2017 RUS - St.Petersburg, MOD*
04.08.2017 A - Waldhausen, Lake On Fire Festival
05.08.2017 GER - Beelen, Krach Am Bach
06.08.2017 UK - Bristol, The Fleece
07.08.2017 UK - Edinburgh, Studio 24
08.08.2017 UK - Manchester, Soup Kitchen
09.08.2017 UK - London, Underworld
10.08.2017 UK - Bournemouth
11.08.2017 P - Moledo, Sonic Blast Festival*

* only Elder

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

I was having a drink with my buddy yest and he told me he just joined Cavity.

So expect some news from them :)

I just got my copy of the new 12'', can't wait to put it on on sunday!

He on guitar or did the Torche dude quit?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got back from Pallbearer/Marissa Nadler/Kayo Dot. One of the stranger bills you'll ever see but they all complemented each other kind of nicely. The new Pallbearer stuff sounds good but I'm mostly glad that Kayo Dot a) stuck with good songs and not unlistenable ones (they have many of both) and b) were selling maudlin of the Well merch. I picked up a t-shirt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Might try to see Pallbearer and Inter Arma in Minneapolis in May

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Might try to see Pallbearer and Inter Arma in Minneapolis in May

Both are very good live bands

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Both are very good live bands

Huh, I have heard Pallbearer is stiff and shoegazey live. It was an early gig for them though, I guess they have gotten more comfortable on stage?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bogatyr posted:

Huh, I have heard Pallbearer is stiff and shoegazey live. It was an early gig for them though, I guess they have gotten more comfortable on stage?

I mean it's doom metal, so it's not like you're seeing The Dillinger Escape Plan up there or something, but they have solid stage presence. Somebody in this thread expressed annoyance with them for rocking out too much even.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Friend of mine who isn't into doom saw them randomly and raved about them to me. I think that was a little after Foundations of Burden came out.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Their sound translates well live as Doom tends to. Sounded good even from the other room.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new Mastodon album has the shittiest mix I've heard in a long time, the compression is unbelievable

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but Bongzilla are doing a European tour.

Here's the flyer.

And the dates in text, since the flyer's kind of hard to read (for me, at least).

20.04 - Tilburg (NL) Roadburn Festival
21.04 - Saint Petersburg (RU)
22.04 - Moscow (RU) ШАГИ
26.04 - Bologna (IT) Alchemica Club
27.04 - Lausanne (CH) Impetus Festival / Romandie
28.04 - Berlin (DE) Desertfest Berlin
29.04 - London (UK) Desertfest London
30.04 - London (UK) Desertfest London
01.05 - Bruxelles (BE) Magasin 4
02.05 - Le Havre (FR) Le Sonic
03.05 - Paris (FR) Glazart
04.05 - Nantes (FR) Ferrailleur
05.05 - Toulouse (FR) Rex Club
06.05 - Madrid (SP) Kristonfest
07.05 - Gueret (FR) Metal Cultures
08.05 - Aarau (CH) Kiff Foyer
09.05 - Zagreb (HU) Mochvara
10.05 - Wien (AT) Arena
11.05 - Belgrade (SR) Elektropionir
12.05 - Skopje (MN) МКЦ
13.05 - Sofia (BG) Live & Loud Club
14.05 - Timisaora (RO) Daos Club
15.05 - Budapest (HU) A38
16.05 - Prague (CZ) Klub 007
17.05 - Warsaw (PL) Pogłos
18.05 - Kauns (LT) Lemmy Klubas
19.05 - Riga (LV) Nabaklab
20.05 - Talinn (EST) Rock Stars
21.05 - Helsinki (FIN) Bar Loose
23.05 - Oslo (NOR) Blå
24.05 - Gothenburg (SWE) Truckstop Alaska
25.05 - Copenhagen (DK) Pumpehuset
26.05 - Hamburg (DE) Hafenklang

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seeing Windhand and Cough tonight on the best PA in a small club in the city. should be good!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Laserface posted:

Seeing Windhand and Cough tonight on the best PA in a small club in the city. should be good!

I'm jealous af braah. Post trip report plz.

TIL: dropping a simple "Mastodon sucks" into the ears of internet metalheads makes them go out of their minds like a mouse hanging above a pit full of vipers.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

http://deafeningassembly.com/album/kyoty-sea-split

Split some cool local bands just put out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm jealous af braah. Post trip report plz.

TIL: dropping a simple "Mastodon sucks" into the ears of internet metalheads makes them go out of their minds like a mouse hanging above a pit full of vipers.

The post that kickstarted that conversation was more like frothing rage at Mastodon

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Laserface posted:

Windhand got their set cut off by a noise complaint in Auckland and there's like various people in the national music scene voicing opinions about it, and it was in the paper and so on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone seen Oathbreaker or Khemmis before? I'm probably going tonight. I expect it will be dope.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Anyone seen Oathbreaker or Khemmis before? I'm probably going tonight. I expect it will be dope.

Oathbreaker is pretty darn neat. I got there late when I saw them and only caught a couple songs but they sounded great and were putting it down.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Haven't seen Khemmis but Oathbreaker throws down live.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

Windhand got their set cut off by a noise complaint in Auckland and there's like various people in the national music scene voicing opinions about it, and it was in the paper and so on.

I heard about it. That sucks. Newtown social club is no longer having bands and is reopening as a loving mini golf bar.

Gig was loving incredible. I hated cough going in but came put really digging their sound. Windhand were stellar as well. Just so much distortion and fuzz.

My etymotics were in the whole time and my ears are still ringing :stare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had a lovely day and the weather was truly atrocious so I did not make it to Oathbreaker and Khemmis after all.

However, I will not be stopped from seeing Neurosis and Converge together, holy poo poo. (Also Amenra)

July 28th Chicago, IL at Thalia Hall
July 29th Detroit, MI at St. Andrews Hall
July 30th Pittsburgh, PA at The Rex Theatre
July 31st Buffalo, NY at The Waiting Room *
August 1st Montreal, QC at Metropolis
August 2nd Toronto, ON at Danforth Music Hall
August 3rd New Haven, CT at College Street Music Hall
August 4th Brooklyn, NY at Warsaw
August 6th Boston, MA at Royale
August 7th Philadelphia, PA at Union Transfer

* Converge & Amenra only

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

This could be a good time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://twitter.com/sleep_official/status/850060273461350400

edit: VVVVVV an embarrassment of riches!

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 7, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
also new Melvins

https://www.facebook.com/melvinsarmy/videos/10154592306770939/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Some more news.

Indian's Facebook page posted:

gently caress. All. Y'all. New album cometh.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
New COC coming this year, too. With Unearthly Trance already out and awesome, this year is looking real good. Def better than the past few when it comes to slow poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Nightstick's Blotter is coming out on vinyl soon, too.