Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I never got about all those Minecraft server horror stories was why people would pay to access the server then pay more to be able to get diamonds or whatever. Wouldn't it have been cheaper (and easier) to just host your own server?

I always was under the assumption that servers like that were literally preying on children who didn't know any better and/or lazyness of older folks who still wanted to be a server with people who paid to get in without having to deal with randomfolk constantly asking to be whitelisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I always was under the assumption that servers like that were literally preying on children who didn't know any better and/or lazyness of older folks who still wanted to be a server with people who paid to get in without having to deal with randomfolk constantly asking to be whitelisted.

Man, lots of folks get caught by poo poo like that. I know a guy who's a really smart dude, high level and very aspirational IT engineer...who also totally dropped almost $500 on GW2 in the first month he was playing it and $300 on a private Ragnarok Online server and can't play candy crush without dropping a ton of real money. I mean like, this guy is a good dude, very dependable...and totally unable to handle microtransactions.

Takes all kinds.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Man, lots of folks get caught by poo poo like that. I know a guy who's a really smart dude, high level and very aspirational IT engineer...who also totally dropped almost $500 on GW2 in the first month he was playing it and $300 on a private Ragnarok Online server and can't play candy crush without dropping a ton of real money. I mean like, this guy is a good dude, very dependable...and totally unable to handle microtransactions.

Takes all kinds.

Yeah, with some people it's pretty much an addiction. It's kinda sad to watch.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, with some people it's pretty much an addiction. It's kinda sad to watch.

yeah luckily this guy never lost his house or anything, he just ran through his discretionary funds and then realized he had to quit, but it's a bit crazy.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rutibex posted:

A mod is someones own work, they own the copyright to it and have every right to sell it (assuming there is no Minecraft code in there). Companies don't have the right to say who can mod their software, thats why Game Genie won against Nintendo in court.
You're right in that someone who makes a mod owns the IP to it, but they have no rights to sell it at all under any boilerplate EULA. This part of an EULA would be enforceable since the mod requires the game to run, has to reference game code and the person involved is profiting from the property of the game owner. Azanor has likely been ok because even $1600 a month isn't enough to get Mojang/Microsoft caring or worth the legal costs and is only charging for beta access. Charging for a mod full stop, however, might be enough to get Mojang to send in the lawyers.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Takes all kinds.
This is nothing compared to the amount people have dumped in to Star Citizen, apparently one guy took a mortgage out on his house to fund his purchasing habits.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
If it's just a jar, what's stopping someone that paid for access from releasing it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Technically nothing, really.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're right in that someone who makes a mod owns the IP to it, but they have no rights to sell it at all under any boilerplate EULA. This part of an EULA would be enforceable since the mod requires the game to run, has to reference game code and the person involved is profiting from the property of the game owner. Azanor has likely been ok because even $1600 a month isn't enough to get Mojang/Microsoft caring or worth the legal costs and is only charging for beta access. Charging for a mod full stop, however, might be enough to get Mojang to send in the lawyers.

lol But what if the mod author never clicked "I agree" when the EULA box came up?

EULAs are a farce and not real contracts.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

lol But what if the mod author never clicked "I agree" when the EULA box came up?

EULAs are a farce and not real contracts.
Some parts of EULA's certainly aren't enforceable, but using someone else's software as a platform for your own and profiting off it without permission is easily something you can be taken to court for. But again, it has to be worth the money for the company who owns the software to bother enforcing.

EDIT: Although, copyrights and trademarks are only as good as you're willing to enforce them, so while the owner and rights holder might not stand to make much from a case, it might be in their best interest to still go ahead to as to not only defend their intellectual property, but also to dissuade others. Bankrupting someone is a very good deterrence for others to follow in their footsteps.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 5, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

There is absolutely no chance mojang or MS would threaten any kind of legal action like that. Someone selling a mod has absolutely zero effect on their profits, and that's the only reason they would bother with such a thing. Also, as mentioned, EULAs don't hold up at all. They are there only to intimidate.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Danny Glands posted:

Yeah, wasn't there a youtube video showing off one of those servers?

Is this it? (No embed because, as they say, it gets pretty offensive.)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Taffer posted:

There is absolutely no chance mojang or MS would threaten any kind of legal action like that. Someone selling a mod has absolutely zero effect on their profits, and that's the only reason they would bother with such a thing. Also, as mentioned, EULAs don't hold up at all. They are there only to intimidate.
Impacting Mojang/MS profits doesn't matter for poo poo, it's more that someone else is profiting off their IP. If a rights holder could only take action in the instance they themselves lost profit, why do you see Nintendo taking down creative works that don't impact their sales in anyway? Why were MGM sending out cease and desists to people making Stargate mods for games last decade?

Again, Mojang/MS might not decide to go after a measly $1,600 a month and that's their prerogative to do so. But a lot of other companies (Nintendo being the topmost on my mind) would go after someone like Azanor for a hell of a lot less, which is why I'm surprised anyone would risk it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Worth noting that Forge mods don't directly reference Minecraft code. Forge is the only mod that does. Forge and the MCP act as an in-between layer, partly to keep that from happening.

Further, the Minecraft EULA specifically references mods and permits them. To quote:

quote:

If you've bought the Game, you may play around with it and modify it by adding modifications, tools, or plugins, which we will refer to collectively as "Mods." By "Mods," we mean something original that you or someone else created that doesn't contain a substantial part of our copyrightable code or content. When you combine your Mod with the Minecraft software, we will call that combination a "Modded Version" of the Game. We have the final say on what constitutes a Mod and what doesn't. You may not distribute any Modded Versions of our Game or software, and we’d appreciate it if you didn’t use Mods for griefing. Basically, Mods are okay to distribute; hacked versions or Modded Versions of the Game client or server software are not okay to distribute.

Note that you don't actually distribute a modded version of the game. Mods are added at runtime, rather than being packaged wholesale.

The sticky part is this:

quote:

Any Mods you create for the Game from scratch belong to you (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money / try to make money from them and so long as you don’t distribute Modded Versions of the Game. Remember that a Mod means something that is your original work and that does not contain a substantial part of our code or content. You only own what you created; you do not own our code or content.

Patreon is kind of in a gray area here. Since beta and release versions of Thaumcraft are available for free, it can be argued he's not selling it. Alphas for Patreon backers are just a perk of their monetary appreciation. At the same time, yeah, it can be argued that he's effectively selling alphas of Thaumcraft.

That said, I believe in the past someone from Mojang has said that they really don't care about Patreons for mods. And they're never, ever going to go after them, any more than they went after people for using ad.fly for their mods.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

After a long minecraft hiatus I'm playing tekkit 1.7.10 w/ some goons and I've got my big gay ore factory going and I want to (redstone) activate some advanced IC2 machines all the time so they keep spinning at top speed. I'd put a lever on it but this messes with adjacent hoppers, etc. Basically I want something I can stick on the side of a block that will only activate that block. Does such a thing exist, in projectred maybe?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

After a long minecraft hiatus I'm playing tekkit 1.7.10 w/ some goons and I've got my big gay ore factory going and I want to (redstone) activate some advanced IC2 machines all the time so they keep spinning at top speed. I'd put a lever on it but this messes with adjacent hoppers, etc. Basically I want something I can stick on the side of a block that will only activate that block. Does such a thing exist, in projectred maybe?

Insulated redstone wire does this, it has different colours so you can put wires next to each other and not interact.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

poverty goat posted:

Put a redstone torch on the ground near the thing, but not under it.

e: don't attach the torch to the thing, just place it on a block adjacent to it, or attach it to the side of a block so the torch is above the thing.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 5, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Well I was messing with Tiny Progressions in 1.11 and made some reinforced Obsidian tools and now I feel like I'm cheating. Also I really wanted to like Abyssalcraft but felt like it's really hard to get into due to the first tier ore in it is super rare considering first you have to find the Darklands and then be lucky enough to find the Abyssinite. I mean I get that it's an end game mod and the armors you make from it and stupidly good but it just felt like the time/reward wasn't really worth it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

Impacting Mojang/MS profits doesn't matter for poo poo, it's more that someone else is profiting off their IP. If a rights holder could only take action in the instance they themselves lost profit, why do you see Nintendo taking down creative works that don't impact their sales in anyway? Why were MGM sending out cease and desists to people making Stargate mods for games last decade?

Again, Mojang/MS might not decide to go after a measly $1,600 a month and that's their prerogative to do so. But a lot of other companies (Nintendo being the topmost on my mind) would go after someone like Azanor for a hell of a lot less, which is why I'm surprised anyone would risk it.

As long as Azanor isn't infringing on any trademarks Mojang/MS has no legal obligation to make a fuss. Nintendo fans usually do use active trademarks in their fan projects and so legally obligate Nintendo to shut them down. MGM almost certainly holds a Stargate trademark which they had to protect.

Copyrights aren't related to trademarks in theoretical purpose or legal obligations to the holder; even if both of them are used to stop other people from making the owner's thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone every made a "sky block" map where you are trapped in a bedrock cube? So instead of infinite space to build machines/farms you have to manage your space very carefully.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Has anyone every made a "sky block" map where you are trapped in a bedrock cube? So instead of infinite space to build machines/farms you have to manage your space very carefully.

Actually not a bad idea. Would be interesting if they had some sort of fake sky blocks at the top to let in light/etc and not turn your box into a murdercube.

I remember seeing a mod/map once that started with a 3x3 square and expanded a small bit every time that you got an achievement.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that sounds like it'd be an interesting challenge. Like, you get one chunk with a capped height or something. If I knew how to use that map builder thing I'd try to make it.

Like Falcon said, you'd need some way to get natural light in though. Or just pre-place a torch.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Just set a world border and use a regular skyblock? You can set it to whatever size in chunks you want.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Another idea would be gating new realestate behind tiers. Make up some mostly transparent blocks that don't drop anything when harvested, surround the spawn with hollow cubes of increasing size and mining requirements. When you get an Iron/Diamond/Manyullen pick you veinmine the current cube & open up more space.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Nevets posted:

Another idea would be gating new realestate behind tiers. Make up some mostly transparent blocks that don't drop anything when harvested, surround the spawn with hollow cubes of increasing size and mining requirements. When you get an Iron/Diamond/Manyullen pick you veinmine the current cube & open up more space.

Yeah, kind of Harvest Moon-ish.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nevets posted:

This is a good idea! I was thinking you could unlock more space by giving out Draconic Evolution Charms of Dislocation. Have multiple bedrock cubes, and give out the charms as quest rewards, so you can teleport there once you have earned it.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Has someone figured out the flow rate caps for the RS importer/exporter in fluid mode? I can't find them posted anywhere -- or even that putting speed upgrades on said importer has any kind of benefit. My very basic starter turbine is getting by with a single inlet/outlet pair maxed out with 4 upgrades, but I have no idea how long that'll hold when I start expanding it. Guess I'll have to find out.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Toadsmash posted:

Has someone figured out the flow rate caps for the RS importer/exporter in fluid mode? I can't find them posted anywhere -- or even that putting speed upgrades on said importer has any kind of benefit. My very basic starter turbine is getting by with a single inlet/outlet pair maxed out with 4 upgrades, but I have no idea how long that'll hold when I start expanding it. Guess I'll have to find out.

Good luck, I couldn't even get level emitters to work with fluids when I played SF3 a few months ago.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I've seen "one chunk challenges" going around for skyblocks, yea, probably a bunch of examples on the tubes

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

frenzy posted:

I've seen "one chunk challenges" going around for skyblocks, yea, probably a bunch of examples on the tubes
I tried doing that with SkyExchange a while back, but I didn't know how half the mods worked and the quests were useless when it came to teaching you.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Falcon2001 posted:

Actually not a bad idea. Would be interesting if they had some sort of fake sky blocks at the top to let in light/etc and not turn your box into a murdercube.

I remember seeing a mod/map once that started with a 3x3 square and expanded a small bit every time that you got an achievement.

Any idea what mod/map that was? Would be nice to try something unique.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I guess I've just been lucky, but I never considered deserts a particularly rare biome. I've spent almost 80 hours on this Beyond save and explored thousands of blocks in every direction (before and after getting a T4 jet pack) without finding one.

Speaking of which, I wonder why Beyond seems to have T5 jet packs disabled in Survival. :gonk:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Toadsmash posted:

I guess I've just been lucky, but I never considered deserts a particularly rare biome. I've spent almost 80 hours on this Beyond save and explored thousands of blocks in every direction (before and after getting a T4 jet pack) without finding one.

Speaking of which, I wonder why Beyond seems to have T5 jet packs disabled in Survival. :gonk:

Are T5 jetpacks (Jetplate, I assume you mean) even craftable in 1.10's Simply Jetpacks? They weren't in SF3, which I assumed was because it required Thermal Dynamics/Redstone Arsenal.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

That's all I meant by disabled. I've never played Minecraft long enough to get to screw around with jet packs before this, so. I can dream. :downs:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

You would need to ensure that there are mods like Compact Machines or another of those put many things into one cube mods,

or maybe the AE pillars to allow swapping of the area - store your farm, Reactor and machine room and switch them out

The Spectral Realm from whatever mod added that was like that, I used the spectral realm for my ME system and ore processing
Reactor was a twin turbine in the overworld.

Of course the main thrust would be get obby to make nether portal to get real area to work in.
or Twilight forest or deep dark

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Any idea what mod/map that was? Would be nice to try something unique.

Sounds like Captive Minecraft

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Black Pants posted:

Are T5 jetpacks (Jetplate, I assume you mean) even craftable in 1.10's Simply Jetpacks? They weren't in SF3, which I assumed was because it required Thermal Dynamics/Redstone Arsenal.

I think it might be a config setting? The EnderIO versions doesn't require TD or RA. Just bat souls, soularium, and what have you. The recipe seems to be the same as in Simply Jetpacks 1, since I've made it on a couple 1.10.2. goon servers. One by giving a mod all the mats, one by crafting it myself.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Playing Baby's First Space Race and trying to set up automated farming, hitting a problem with planter/harvester infrastructure. I have a retriever on my planter and a retriever on my "produce box," with both whitelisted for carrots. But whenever the carrots are harvested, they're automatically directed straight to the planter. I've tried setting both retrievers to "round robin" mode, but nothing. The system works for separating wheat and seeds (I don't have seeds sent to the produce box), but not for crops that are the same in as out. How can I get my pipes to split the carrot crop evenly between planter and personal use?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The Narrator posted:

Playing Baby's First Space Race and trying to set up automated farming, hitting a problem with planter/harvester infrastructure. I have a retriever on my planter and a retriever on my "produce box," with both whitelisted for carrots. But whenever the carrots are harvested, they're automatically directed straight to the planter. I've tried setting both retrievers to "round robin" mode, but nothing. The system works for separating wheat and seeds (I don't have seeds sent to the produce box), but not for crops that are the same in as out. How can I get my pipes to split the carrot crop evenly between planter and personal use?

The MFR planter? This isn't quite what you want, but there's an alternate way.

Remove the retrievers; an MFR harvester automatically outputs to an itemduct attached to its backside. In the GUI for the planter, ensure "consume stack" is off, then fill every slot in the planter except one with a single piece of cobblestone or other not-plantable thing. The remaining slot is for carrots. This will stop the planter from buffering carrots too much, as well as ensure that carrots have a place to go. Make a dense itemduct (itemduct with a bit of lead dust.) Lay out your itemduct so that the dense itemduct is "after" the planter, going towards your produce box. This will ensure that any carrots first go towards replenishing the planter, then go to the produce box as a last resort.

Eventually, the planter will fill up with a single stack of carrots, and the remainder will head to your produce box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The MFR planter? This isn't quite what you want, but there's an alternate way.

Remove the retrievers; an MFR harvester automatically outputs to an itemduct attached to its backside. In the GUI for the planter, ensure "consume stack" is off, then fill every slot in the planter except one with a single piece of cobblestone or other not-plantable thing. The remaining slot is for carrots. This will stop the planter from buffering carrots too much, as well as ensure that carrots have a place to go. Make a dense itemduct (itemduct with a bit of lead dust.) Lay out your itemduct so that the dense itemduct is "after" the planter, going towards your produce box. This will ensure that any carrots first go towards replenishing the planter, then go to the produce box as a last resort.

Eventually, the planter will fill up with a single stack of carrots, and the remainder will head to your produce box.

Thanks! I'll give this a whirl next time I'm at the greenhouse.

Edit: so rather than 'parallel' lines that try and hit planter and box at the same time, I just set up everything so it goes harvester -> planter -> box, so everything that isn't plantable (or if the planter's full of carrots, for example) gets kicked out of the planter and shuffled onward to the box.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 6, 2017