Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The woke baby/toddler stories are like the lowest of the low effort stdh's people make up. If you have any recent moms on facebook you'll see that kind of poo poo all the time. It's the next step in obnoxious facebook posting-about-your-kid - first phase is all poop talk and whining about not getting enough sleep, then once they can talk it's their time to show off how well they raised little Kaydyn or Brianthoni so they make up stories like that.

The worst example on my feed is a herbalife mom and every week or so there's another post about her "Herbababy" and how sweet she was to a (poor/black/homeless...pick one or any combination) person and how everyone started crying and her Faith In Humanity has been restored etc, always some story where she just doesn't "get" racism or sexism and laments about the state of society these days. By the way, our doctor said she was by far the healthiest child he's seen in years. Ask me to find out how! #herbalife #herbababy #hashtags.

All those people locked into the lowest rung of pyramid schemes, thinking they are "entrepreneurs" because they post about it 100 times a day on Facebook. That's some real STDH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ytlaya posted:

I think in many cases people realize the stories are fake, but treat them as real as part of an unspoken "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" agreement. Like, if everyone in a social group constantly believes and compliments each other, they'll be believed and complimented in turn. This sort of faux-kindness seems especially common in the south, though I'm sure it exists in Facebook groups for housewives and what have you elsewhere as well.

I remember reading an interesting article written by someone who used to be involved in otherkin communities and that sort of thing is rampant there. Everyone believed everyone else's bullshit because their own bullshit would be believed in turn. Even if someone's story contradicts itself or is proven to be untrue, anything other than 100% acceptance would get you ostracized for being too mean. If anyone knows the article I'm talking about I'd appreciate a link.

EDIT:

chitoryu12 posted:

You might be talking about melted-snowflake, a sadly defunct Tumblr by a former otherkin. That sounds exactly like one of the articles they wrote.

Oh yeah, that name sounds familiar.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Apr 5, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hardcordion posted:

I remember reading an interesting article written by someone who used to be involved in otherkin communities and that sort of thing is rampant there. Everyone believed everyone else's bullshit because their own bullshit would be believed in turn. Even if someone's story contradicts itself or is proven to be untrue, anything other than 100% acceptance would get you ostracized for being too mean. If anyone knows the article I'm talking about I'd appreciate a link.

You might be talking about melted-snowflake, a sadly defunct Tumblr by a former otherkin. That sounds exactly like one of the articles they wrote.

It was a really good blog for getting a look at the mindset from someone who managed to shake themselves out of it. The crux of their beliefs was that everyone involved in the community had some reason to be upset at their lot in life (unattractive, poor, socially awkward, bad job, etc.) but lacked the will or means to improve their standing in the real world. Instead of finding a real solution to their real problems, they created fictional constructs where they were really powerful and mighty in another life or another dimension. By falling into their fantasies, they could forget about their actual issues.

It's a hell of a lot easier to pretend that you're a proud wolf spirit in a human body who will one day be free to roam the snowy forest for eternity than it is to start bathing regularly, put away the hentai, and get a job.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

chitoryu12 posted:

It was a really good blog for getting a look at the mindset from someone who managed to shake themselves out of it. The crux of their beliefs was that everyone involved in the community had some reason to be upset at their lot in life (unattractive, poor, socially awkward, bad job, etc.) but lacked the will or means to improve their standing in the real world. Instead of finding a real solution to their real problems, they created fictional constructs where they were really powerful and mighty in another life or another dimension. By falling into their fantasies, they could forget about their actual issues.

It's a hell of a lot easier to pretend that you're a proud wolf spirit in a human body who will one day be free to roam the snowy forest for eternity than it is to start bathing regularly, put away the hentai, and get a job.

Should just play Video Games like an adult.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Catberry posted:

Pushing politics on kids. What could go wrong?

Somehow the gender politics are even creepier when it's kids.

"Here, daughter, dress up as someone we hate. Son, dress up as someone we love."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Captain Monkey posted:

100%. Children's opinions don't tend to be well reasoned, and it's actually kind of strange that you'd think that somehow 10% of literal children were capable of understanding political theories and the world at large enough to have a reasonable opinion that they came up with on their own.

This. Ask me about 6 year old Nth Doctor's Ross Perot support because I told my friend I cared about the environment and she said Perot would be strict about that.

She was like two years older than me, and therefore wise.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'll take the kid who brings his Bernie action figure everywhere over those two any day thank you very much

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Somehow the gender politics are even creepier when it's kids.

"Here, daughter, dress up as someone we hate. Son, dress up as someone we love."

It would have gotten creepier had they had added a genderswap.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Why would you even want to make this one up?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The closest I've ever seen of the woke child phenomena irl was a kid in front of me in line at dollar tree complaininng about the checkout girl being forced to cover her tattoos. I don't doubt there are parrots out there quite a bit however.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Choco1980 posted:

The closest I've ever seen of the woke child phenomena irl was a kid in front of me in line at dollar tree complaininng about the checkout girl being forced to cover her tattoos. I don't doubt there are parrots out there quite a bit however.

Yeah but that's probably because the kid thought the tattoos were cool rather than being outraged about the sociocultural implications of censoring body art.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bean_shadow posted:

That Bernie Sanders action figure comes up in the advertisements on Facebook a lot for me a lot. Here's yet another example of the woke-kid-who-loves-Bernie trope I saw a lot during the elections:

It says, "He takes Bernie with him everywhere now".

I actually kind of believe this could happen, but not because of the kid being Woke(tm), just because kids get fixated on weird random toys/household objects for no rational reason. Next month it'll be a promotional Beanie Baby from his dad's car dealership or something.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Why would you even want to make this one up?

This is the only time that screencapping the first response to one of these stories has ever been good or appropriate

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why would he steal food being sent to Sudan? Does he want those children to starve?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I want to shop wherever you folks shop that the cashiers aren't always commenting on your purchases. Half the time, people are either asking me "Is this good? How would I cook this?" and the like, or making hilarious jokes like "Looks like you're having a party! Am I invited?"

Trader Joe's is the worst for this.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if the people writing these stories know that this sort of poo poo isn't just frowned upon by store managers/owners, but in most cases, would get you fired on the spot (with upper management then fawning over the wronged customer and showering them with free poo poo and gift cards). Like, beyond light conversation that no one could take offense at, you're literally not allowed to say anything even REMOTELY judgemental about/to customers or comment negatively on their purchases.

It's a bit like the whole cashier telling some customer that they're not allowed to say 'Merry Christmas'. As far as I know the policy for most major retail chains is something like, 'if someone says Merry Christmas to you, feel free to say it back, otherwise use your best judgement'.

Source: I am an assistant manager in a major retail chain (kill me) and I have to train people to do this poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I dunno, I believe every part except the last sentence.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I wonder if the people writing these stories know that this sort of poo poo isn't just frowned upon by store managers/owners, but in most cases, would get you fired on the spot (with upper management then fawning over the wronged customer and showering them with free poo poo and gift cards). Like, beyond light conversation that no one could take offense at, you're literally not allowed to say anything even REMOTELY judgemental about/to customers or comment negatively on their purchases.

It's a bit like the whole cashier telling some customer that they're not allowed to say 'Merry Christmas'. As far as I know the policy for most major retail chains is something like, 'if someone says Merry Christmas to you, feel free to say it back, otherwise use your best judgement'.

Source: I am an assistant manager in a major retail chain (kill me) and I have to train people to do this poo poo.

After regaining my apetite I went back into the store and fired the cashier because actually I am the owner!

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AlbieQuirky posted:

I want to shop wherever you folks shop that the cashiers aren't always commenting on your purchases. Half the time, people are either asking me "Is this good? How would I cook this?" and the like, or making hilarious jokes like "Looks like you're having a party! Am I invited?"

Trader Joe's is the worst for this.

Ugh one time a cashier at Trader Joe's asked me to name my favorite item from what I was buying and then what I did for a living and then what my weekend plans were.

I just want to buy groceries.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
He's hitting on you.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

i really hate it when people talk to me

source: i am a goon

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!

I found the most stdh part of this is that there's actually a shop out there called "piggly wiggly"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

at least 4chan gives you a disclaimer

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

piss explosion posted:

I found the most stdh part of this is that there's actually a shop out there called "piggly wiggly"

Piggly Wiggly is found in the deep south, and was the first grocery store to put all of the goods on shelves for shoppers to choose. Before that, shoppers gave a list to a clerk, and the clerk would retrieve the stuff from the back to fill the bill of goods.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Piggly Wiggly is found in the deep south, and was the first grocery store to put all of the goods on shelves for shoppers to choose. Before that, shoppers gave a list to a clerk, and the clerk would retrieve the stuff from the back to fill the bill of goods.

I wouldn't call a corporate headquarters in New Hampshire, or a first location in Memphis the 'deep south'. More Midwest/ sorta South.

Maybe Tennessee counts as the deep south, but they're much more a sort of eastern coast of the south and also the midwest store. Not that that's an important bit of information, I've just never even seen one despite growing up in/around the South, and always thought of them as more of a midwestern chain.

vv Oh, huh. I guess I never really went to Georgie, because lol why would you?

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Apr 6, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Used to be that Piggly-Wiggly was the only game in town around here in Georgia if you wanted groceries. Then it got replaced with a Bi-Lo.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I wouldn't call a corporate headquarters in New Hampshire, or a first location in Memphis the 'deep south'. More Midwest/ sorta South.

Maybe Tennessee counts as the deep south, but they're much more a sort of eastern coast of the south and also the midwest store. Not that that's an important bit of information, I've just never even seen one despite growing up in/around the South, and always thought of them as more of a midwestern chain.

vv Oh, huh. I guess I never really went to Georgie, because lol why would you?

Memphis is considered Mid-South, thank you very much. Definitely not Midwest.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Memphis is considered Mid-South, thank you very much. Definitely not Midwest.

Whatever, both regions are pretty lovely for the mosy part.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Well the pigglies that I've been to are all in the south, northeast I associate with Stop and Shop and A&P

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It went from almost believable to complete horseshit with that edit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah but that's probably because the kid thought the tattoos were cool rather than being outraged about the sociocultural implications of censoring body art.

Well I did summarize. The girl actually said something along the lines of she can't wait til a time when people don't judge each other by how they look. If someone else put that here, I'd probably strain myself from the eye-rolling.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Captain Monkey posted:

It went from almost believable to complete horseshit with that edit.

These people are utterly unable to keep a story believable.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Fathis Munk posted:

These people are utterly unable to keep a story believable.

Which people? Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Stoatbringer posted:

Which people? Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev?

I see what you did here, and I am a fan.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

CHEF!!! posted:

Not unreasonably angry unless I'm hungover, more just thinking "Are you that loving stupid and/or rude", but I'm talking about entering and leaving the New York City subway so odds are the answer to at least one of those is "extremely", best case. People who all but press their face against the doors trying to get on, not letting people get off first. I just shove my way through these people now, seeing as I'm 6'6". I occasionally have some surly piece of human flotsam mouth off to me but again, 6'6" and New Yorkers on the subway are either all bark and no bite or "visibly mentally unwell and might either try and pee on you or stab you in the face", so I react accordingly.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno, that seems kinda reasonable? When people crowd the doors of a tram/subway and try to get in before people get off, I totally make use of the fact that I am 1.95 m tall and shove through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIED A VIRGIN
Dec 21, 2012

yes no yes no yes

socalled posted:

Cashier questions a white kid getting a black doll. Mother explains how racially enlightened her toddler is. The internet eats it up.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/little...-193253439.html

Benner wrote that she believes the cashier spoke out of ignorance, which at best is problematic and at worst is seriously hurtful to some people. “I feel like in her mind she was being helpful and making conversation with my daughter,” the mom wrote. “I’m not saying her ignorance makes it OK, just proves her white privilege.”

The mother does look like a smug gently caress too.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e85&oe=59612828

A little late, but I just saw this on Facebook, immediately came here to see if it'd been posted. The "article" I saw was from a local NBC news station. Journalism at its finest.